Start by marking “The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.” as Want to Read:
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.

The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,521 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The Grace Awakening calls all Christians to wake up and reject living in such legalistic, performance-oriented bondage. The God of the universe has given us an amazing, revolutionary gift of grace and freedom. This freedom and grace set us apart from every other "religion" on the face of the earth.

In this best-selling classic, Charles Swindoll urges you not to miss living
Published November 1st 2006 by W Publishing Group (first published December 31st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Grace Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grace Awakening

Wow! I usually don't like when people use the term "life-changing" while describing a book, speech, conference, or film because it is usually only "life-changing" for a day or two after the experience before the feelings finally fade. However, The Grace Awakening was life-changing for me. I would urge the reader of this book to also spend the extra money and purchase the companion radio broadcast series with the same title by Charles Swindoll from the Insight for Living Ministry. I actually list ...more
Mar 15, 2010 Danny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Enjoyed meditating on this devotional about grace. Some of my favorite quotes include:
During his days as president, Thomas Jefferson and a group of companions were traveling across the country on horseback. They came to a river which had overflowed its banks because of a recent downpour. The swollen river had washed the bridge away. Each rider was forced to ford the river on horseback, fighting for his life against the rapid currents. The very real possibility of death threatened each rider, whi
3.5 stars. This book revealed to me how much I want grace and want what Dr. Swindoll wrote about it. It also revealed some of my more recent struggles with legalism.

The good: I was encouraged by Swindoll's writings about grace and it help me ponder and long for a "Grace Awakening."

I also wanted more. I wanted to know as a legalist how to be free. How does a rule follower and one who has a tendency towards legalism become free?

To be fair, I read parts and skimmed/skipped other parts. So perhaps i
I bought this book when I was in college, but I didn't read it until a few years ago. I was researching the concept of grace for a piece of fiction I was writing. Then, in the middle of reading it, I realized that I had forgotten why I was reading it. Why, oh, why isn't the concept of grace talked about more in our lives? Swindoll makes his point over and over again that if we fully understood grace, it would change everything about us. I was changed in reading this and the book I was writing ch ...more
Dylan Hutchens
Charles Swindoll has brought out an excellent understanding of grace from God's word which has altered my way of thinking about grace and shown me how little I actually know about grace. Furthermore showing me practical ways I can live my life according to God's grace and only by His grace. I strongly recommend this book to be read by anyone, "grace" how much do you really know about that word? and how do you know if you're not a grace killer?
Tony Visconti
Swindoll does a good job interweaving scripture plus personal anecdotes to help clearly convey why Grace is the best gift a human could ever receive and why it should and has transformed of so many. However there was particularly disappointing chapter I found both offensive and incomplete. This chapter discussed the needs/roles of men and women in a relationship.
Clara Roberts
This was my least favorite of Swindoll's book. I felt that the book lacked balance. Reflective thought seemed to be missing. I felt that he made little or no effort to understand the point of view of others who disagree with him. In other words I felt that he failed to extend Grace to others.
This was a hard read for me but it wasn't the book. It was me. I struggle with Christian books from the standpoint that I love a good story and that's why I read. When it doesn't involve a story, I struggle but I persevered. This has a lot of good things to say and is thought provoking. It pointed out some things about Moses I'd never seen before. It also told the beautiful story of David and Mephibasheth, Jonathan's son. This was the 2nd time I'd read this. I read it about 3 or 4 years ago when ...more
I haven't read much from Chuck Swindol, but in the process of writing my own book on grace I decided to check this one out. Overall, I think that he did a really nice, balanced job with the subject. My only concern was that I felt I lost some of the key points of grace in the overall flow of the book. It's entirely possible that the fault was mine, but I'm not convinced of that. I'm not so sure that "The Grace Awakening" has led to a wide scale grace awakening on the part of the readership. If i ...more
Anita Brands
I'm currently on chapter 14 of this amazing book. Due to the fact that I was not able to read it in its entirety before it was due back to the library (today), I give Swindoll a five-star rating. He's officially made it onto my favorite-authors list and I look forward to reading through some of his other works as well.
The Grace Awakening is indeed a call to awaken to the grace of God. Many of us tumble through life -- through our interactions with believers and non-believers (the bum on the stre
While Christian non-fiction tends to be my favorite genre, an audiobook of that genre feels like a very long sermon. Which is okay, but just needs to be taken in a little at a time. Which is why I took almost a week to get through this audiobook. I love Charles Swindoll’s books and have been making my way through his Great Lives series. This is the first book of his I’ve read (er, listened to) out of that series; he certainly has a lot to offer in the way of Biblical teaching!

Swindoll shares som
When my father learned that I was to preach a sermon series about grace he recommended this book to me.

LIFE CHANGING! I never realized how deeply pharisaical I had become. Truly transformational. If you grew up in church as I did you MUST get this modern Christian classic and study it. I rarely re-read books but this one has become a sort-of text for me to study. Extremely Biblical and extraordinarily relevant to my life.

Adele Wyn Eddy
I read this book some years ago. It helped me to know God's love is unconditional and is founded on the complete and finished work of Jesus, not on my work, I can't add to what Jesus did. I can now trust and follow with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, free indeed!
Brandon Giella
Yes. This is it, as far as grace goes. Chuck Swindoll is always brimming with wisdom and practicality. It'll change your life if you're not ready for it.
Steve Savig
Tuesday Morning Men's Breakfast at ECC.
Bob Licko, Bill Alexander, Terry Podmore, Peter Way, Bob Peterson, Glenn Gilbert, Ardin Wright
pg 155 "Vertical Grace frees us from the demands and condemnation of the Mosaic Law. It announces hope to the sinner-the gift of eternal life, along with all it's benefits. Horizontal grace frees us from the tyranny of pleasing people and adjusting our lives to the demands and expectations of human opinion. It gives us relief-the enjoyment of freedom along with all
An excellent book, my book asked that I read it many years ago. While it has been several years, and I have grown as a person, I found the book a true inspiration. My husband felt that it argued against legalism, fundamentalism, and faith dogma. My husband and I both have grown over the years, so I must admit that my review maybe different if I was to re-read this book today. Nevertheless, the book offered an inspirational message of faith, grace, and living life abundantly.

This book reminds you that being a Christian is not supposed to make you feel restricted but it's supposed to make you feel the freedom and joy God grants us through his ultimate act of grace - Christ's death on the cross. So many people are driven away from Christianity because they don't want to be placed under boundaries and restrictions but really, the world puts a bigger weight on our shoulders - SIN! This book will awaken you to see God's grace in a new and refreshing way.
This was the first Chuck Swindoll book I'd ever read, and I'm not really used to reading books by evangelical pastors. That being said, it was rather good. I found that his thoughts corresponded closely with Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?", though this book had much more Biblical exposition and less engaging stories. Still, it was a really solid message and I think I'm a little bit of a fan of Pastor Swindoll now.
A little redundant, but an inspiring read. Chuck's fervent position on the notion of grace makes for a double take of one's own way of life, whether a fellow Christian or not. I was skeptical that a near 300 page book on grace could hold me (not that I don't appreciate grace) until its conclusion, but Chuck does a fine job in providing diverse content and expounding upon it without being painfully meticulous.
Grace...who doesn't need it? Everyone needs Grace to flourish in a world full of trials and tribulations. Grace allows others to live free and it allows the giver to live free too. I enjoyed this book, learned new insights, and I plan to read it again. This book would refresh and energize anyone who takes the time to invest in the reading of it. Highly recommended book.
Jun 03, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all christians!
This is a fantastic book! I read it while attending a legalistic church, and it really opened my eyes to the difference between a rules (The Law) oriented church, and a love, acceptance, and forgiveness (Grace) oriented church. I highly recommend this book, especially for anyone struggling with law vs grace within the Christian church!
Craig recommended I read this book after it was required reading in a DTS class. I loved it. This book is all application and challenges aspects of life you thought outside of grace's impact. Craig will probably laugh later at how much I highlighted to write down in my journal or write down for someone else. Definitely a must read.
An excellent book, showing the need for God's grace, and what it means in real life. A plea against fundamentalism and legalism, towards a richer, freer life in Christ. A little heavy in places, perhaps, but very sound. Well worth the effort. Similar message to Philip Yancey's 'What's so Amazing about Grace?'
Jason , etc.
Chuck Swindoll has written some pretty good books in the past, but I can't give this one a big enough 'meh'. It's dull. What's worse, it stuffs tired platitudes into a sock and beats the reader about the head and shoulders with them. There are no easy answers to faith, but this book seems to be arguing otherwise.
Danny Bennett
Actually turned out to be quite good. Going into it I thought it might be mundane and typical, but it wasn't. A lot of really good thoughts about grace and living it to the full extent. The only somewhat negative thought I had was why I had to sign a form to not drink alchohol in order to go to DTS.
If you want to learn what the true Christian's life should look like, read this book. It will give you much peace and relief as you look at your own failings as well as others'. This is one of the greatest books I've ever read and would recommend to everyone!
I enjoyed this book sooooo much I went and bought myself a copy! As noted in What's so amazing about Grace review, I am utterly obsessed with grace, so yeah, anything I have to say is biased. But lets face it, it's worth being obsessed by.
in high school, i couldn't get enough chuck swindoll. i followed him like he was an athlete or movie star, which was hard because he got no press and there was no internet. anyways, this is a great book (from what i don't remember).
Leslie Jebaraj
Chuck Swindoll's best! Gleaned gems on God's grace. Swindoll beautifully shows, not only how to receive His grace, but also to extend it to others. I believe the book would revolutionize every reader's life!
We used this book for additional insight to our study of the Book of Galatians. It was a perfect fit! Practical application that is challenging without being condemning - just like grace is.
  • Loving God
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • God Came Near
  • Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul (LifeChange Books)
  • Inside Out
  • Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • Sit, Walk, Stand
  • Eternal Security
  • The Singer
  • If
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • What Happens When Women Pray
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Our's?
  • Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life
  • Help! I'm Laughing and I Can't Get Up: Fall-Down Funny Stories to Fill Your Heart and Lift Your Spirit
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...
David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1) Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2) Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6) Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)

“Grace releases people not only from sin but from shame.” 1 likes
“Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever. Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were thus occupied were not benefited. (Heb. 13:7–9)” 0 likes