Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Histoire de la sexualité 2. L'usage des plaisirs” as Want to Read:
Histoire de la sexualité 2. L'usage des plaisirs
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Histoire de la sexualité 2. L'usage des plaisirs (The History of Sexuality #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,694 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Dans ce deuxième volume, Foucault poursuit son enquête historique sur les sources de notre sexualité occidentale. Il a dû infléchir son projet initial pour s'intéresser aux sources antiques, grecques et surtout romaines.
La recherche se développe selon tous les aspects concernés par la sexualité et prend ainsi les dimensions d'une anthropologie générale du plaisir. Foucault
...more
Paperback, Tel (n° 279), 350 pages
Published February 4th 1997 by Gallimard (first published 1984)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Histoire de la sexualité 2. L'usage des plaisirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Histoire de la sexualité 2. L'usage des plaisirs

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Suha
Nov 20, 2012 Suha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thoughts

تاريخ الجنسانية و احد من أكثر الكتب الفكرية التي استمتعت بقراءته. بالتأكيد يرجع الفضل في ذلك لجدارة الكاتب في طرح و تحليل هذا الموضوع بالإضافة لإهتمامي الشخصية في الموضوع كحالة إنسانية و فكرية.
يقدم هذا الجزء من مجموعة تاريخ الجنسانية المنظور اليوناني لها. حيث يوضح فوكو الفضاء الذي تعامل فيه اليونان (بصفتهم أجداد للثقافة الأوروبية و المسيحية المقبلة) معها، مؤكدا أنهم بالرغم من إقرارهم بالعلاقات المثلية بالإضافة للزواج الشرعي، فإنهم عاملوا الجنسانية كموضوع للمتعة و إنشغلوا بسبل أستعمالها الصحية و
...more
Ayleen Julio
En Historia de la sexualidad II, Foucault continúa el proyecto investigador sobre la sexualidad, sólo que esta vez se centra en cómo la actividad sexual fue problematizada por los filósofos y médicos de la Antigua Grecia, para quienes no interesaba tanto el objeto de la actividad, sino los modos y convenciones que giraban alrededor de dicha práctica.
En términos de lectura es un libro con una escritura menos pedregosa que el primer volumen, por lo que se hace más fácil de seguir; pero no por ell
...more
Mr.
Oct 06, 2008 Mr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foucault's continuation of his impressive History of Human Sexuality looks into the sexual mores and practices of the Ancient Greeks, and attempts to understand the development of sexuality as a moral problematic. Contrary to the conventional wisdom which posits a complete epistemic reversal from the Hellenic world to the Christian world, Foucault poses a more complex network of interconnections between the two paradigms, which lie in a valuation of asceticism. Although The Use of Pleasure is on ...more
Nuno Ribeiro
Foucault entra a fundo nos textos gregos. Percebemos como os gregos viam o prazer. Como regulavam o sexo e se regulavam a si próprios. Que preconceitos tinham sobre o género e sobre os papéis de cada um na sociedade.

Sobretudo a partir dos textos morais e de comentários sobre comportamentos da altura, que chegaram até hoje, sabemos como os os gregos viam as relações. Ficamos a saber que valorizavam acima de tudo o domínio do próprio sobre as paixões do corpo.

É mais tarde que o cristianismo vem l
...more
Andrew
This is some deep genealogy, something that is a far cry from the more wild, theoretical-level writings of the young Foucault. He turns his attentions to the Greeks, arguing that they viewed sexuality more in terms of dietetic regimen, one to be conformed with for maximum health. A point which he repeats ad nauseam. Now, I enjoyed the examples given but -- and this shouldn’t be a surprise given Foucault's rather androcentric view of sex -- he seems to leave female desire almost completely out of ...more
Rikkert Kuijper
Jul 23, 2015 Rikkert Kuijper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll attempt to recap the whole thing in a few hundred words, without looking anything up. If you find something wrong, please let me know, it'll help me remember better.

DISCLAIMER: Foucault mentions multiple times that there are plenty of philosophers whose works have not been preserved, and so he bases his book mostly on Platonic-Socratic notions of sexuality.

First of, there was no notion of proper ''sexuality'' back in Ancient Greece. Of course there were ideas of homo and heterosexuality, bu
...more
Fahad Alqurain
Mar 31, 2015 Fahad Alqurain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مجنون هذا الفوكو
بهذا الجزء يطرح فوكو الكثير من الأفكار لدى الاثنيين القدماء وفلسفاتهم ويناقشها ويحللها

استعمال المتع وتدور افكار هذا الجزء نحو ثلاثة أجزاء
الاول الحمية البدنية والرياضية والفكرية
والثانية الجانب التربوي البيتي
والثالثة حب الغلمان

ويناقشها ويحللها ويقارن بين الكثير من حوارات الفلاسفة

ويتعمق حتى يأخذك معه في جانب المؤيد لهذه الأفكار
وبالطبع حين تعرف أن فوكو من المؤيدين للمثلية الجنسية ولكن لا يرغمكعلى موافقته بل يدعك تحلل وتفكر معه هل كانوا محقين ام لا
وبطبيعة الفطرة الانسانية نقول
...more
Joeri Kooimans
This book contains interesting reflections on how subjectivity was formed in ancient Greek culture around (sexual) pleasure as a result of relations men had with oneself in terms of moderation, selfmastery, selfstylization and domination. As such, Foucault shows, the Greeks developed an ethics of the self through selfcare.

A criticical note: the book contains alot of redundancy and repetition, which usually isn't the case with Foucault.

What further strikes me is that Foucault doesn't give women a
...more
Jacob Rabas
Aug 23, 2013 Jacob Rabas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I should note that I am not really concerned with the accuracy of Foucault's interpretations of ancient Greek texts or even with sexuality as a topic of study. I'm not a Classicist so I can't comment on the empirical validity of the work. However, I am interested in understanding the truly original aspects of his work, mainly his theory of power, subjectivity, and the concept of discourse. In The History of Sexuality 1: An Introduction Foucault provides us with a sketch of his notion of po ...more
Ernest
Oct 10, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot more interesting than volume one. The subtitle should have been "The Use of Pleasure in Ancient Greece" or "Same-sex Sexuality in Ancient Greece" or something along those lines.

If Foucault had set a broader scope -- let alone settle with modern, and less-obfuscating terminology -- he would have summarily concluded the following:

"It is important to emphasize that people who engage in same-sex sexual practices do not necessarily have a homosexual orientation. The same-sex sexual act
...more
ماهرعبد الرحمن
بالإجمال، لكي يسمى فعل ما "أخلاقيا"، لا ينبغي أن ينحل إلى عمل أو مجموعة أعمال مطابقة لقاعدة، أو قانون أو قيمة ما. صحيح أن كل فعل أخلاقي ينطوي على علاقة بالواقع الذي يتم فيه، وعلى علاقة بالقانون الذي يستند إليه؛ لكنه ينطوي أيضا على علاقة معينة مع الذات؛ ليست هذه العلاقة مجرد "إحساس بالذات"، بل هي تكوين للنفس كـ "ذات أخلاقية" فيه يحدد الفرد ذلك الجزء من نفسه الذي يشكل موضوع الممارسة الأخلاقية، وموقفه بالنسبة إلى القاعدة التي يتبعها، ويركز لنفسه نمط عيش معين يصلح كتحقيق أخلاقي لذاته. ولهذا الغرض، ي ...more
Jasreet Badyal
Apr 03, 2011 Jasreet Badyal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophy, Political Thought, Ethics
Recommended to Jasreet by: Professor
I read this for a political philosophy course on sexual ethics as the last work after thinkers from the following categories: Greek, Christian, new natural lawyers, and liberalism. It was part of a combined senior undergraduate and graduate seminar.

I really enjoyed how Foucault offers a different way to understand Greek sexual ethics and a different way to understand sexual ethics in our own time. This is one of the last works he wrote before he passed away, so at times it does end up feeling ru
...more
David Bird
Apr 23, 2013 David Bird rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-landmarks
This book broke the spell of Foucault for me. In works like Discipline and Punish The Birth of the Prison by Michel Foucault he wove a net from works that were unknown to me. Who was I to question his readings?

Here I finally saw him at work on an author and text I knew, and when I looked at what he did with Xenophon, I found his reading of the Oeconomicus was bizarre and tendentious.

Fully escaping from Foucault would take me until The Greeks & Greek Love A Bold New Exploration of the Ancient World by James Davidson but this was the start.
Erik Graff
May 08, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foucault fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
It does indeed seem to be the case that many of the ancient Greeks and Romans were oblivious to what we see as the ethical issues pertaining to human sexuality. Of course, given our limited sources, it is difficult to generalize with a high degree of certainty. What we have was written by elites and filtered through elites over centuries when women were regarded as inferior, adulthood started earlier, marriages were frequently arranged and various forms of slavery (often including a sexual compo ...more
Oliver Bateman
Jun 21, 2011 Oliver Bateman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine short survey of classical Greek sexual thinking, yet Michel Foucault's work with these primary sources isn't as impressive as it is with materials from the 17th and 18th centuries. A heavy reliance on two major 1970s-era histories by KJ Dover seems to suggest that Foucault isn't so much breaking new ground as sowing seeds in already-fertilized fields. All in all, though, this was a worthwhile and interesting read, even if it wasn't as provocative as Volume 1.
Rachel
Has some important insights, but Foucault's over-reliance on Attic prose substantially weakens his arguments - note that he doesn't even mention Sappho! And he quotes from the tragedians maybe twice? There are many classicists of the past few decades who have done much better work on ancient Greek sexuality. Foucault is more interested in making a point about the world that he lived in than in actually understanding the way the Greeks lived.
Daniel
Jan 14, 2013 Daniel added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: LaBuff
I met this guy at a party who wanted to do nothing but talk about Foucault (I didn't like him very much). HIS opinion was that Foucault was awful. I wouldn't say awful, but he is not easy to read. If I met Foucault at a party, I would probably like him as much as I did that guy who insulted him. But he wrote about interesting things.

No rating because I skipped about half the book. Oops!
Zizo Ghoname
يعطيك هذا الكتاب فكره عن مدى مرونة ومطاطية كل شئ متعلق بالنفس البشريه
بداية من الاخلاقيات ونهاية الى الاذواق والتابوهات المجتمعيه
ويتجلى هذا واضحا في توجيه الكاتب نظره تحليليه
لبعض النصوص المتعلقه بالجنسانيه في المجتمع اليوناني القديم بشكل خاص
Dan
Nov 27, 2008 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A short, straightforward work that analyzes the relation of sexuality to social power. Worth reading not only for the good clear writing, but also for Foucault's original take on sexuality as an object of knowledge.
Mason
Sep 25, 2015 Mason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A meditation on the problematization of desire in Ancient Greece. Foucault presents the era's ethics of pleasure in stark contrast to the hermeneutics of desire that emerged with early Christian doctrine.
Rui Coelho
In this book Foucault shows how Ancient Greek sexual norms were technologies of the self, exercices to create oneself as a free, healthy and happy subject, and not laws or proibitions.
Alshimaa Seekha
Feb 03, 2017 Alshimaa Seekha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
فيه تقدم, بالنسبة لي.
Geoff
Feb 22, 2013 Geoff marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Anybody have opinions on whether I should read these in order? Because I kinda want to read the one about the Greeks asap.
Patrick Stein
While I really loved Volume 1, Volume 2 was exceedingly repetitive. I lost count of the number of times that I had to double-check that I hadn't inadvertently skipped back four or five pages.
Neil Turner
Again, not one of my favorite topics that Foucault wrote about or critiqued.
Adriana Scarpin
Sep 13, 2013 Adriana Scarpin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filosofia, historia
O capítulo um, Problematização Moral dos Prazeres, com aphrodisia se refere a moral sexual da Grécia antiga, assim como chresis trata do uso dos prazeres propriamente dito, ou seja, o grau de temperança mantido, enquanto enkratheia trata do autodominio necessário para atingir a mesma e liberdade e verdade trata do homem viril que se coloca em posição ativa de temperança em oposição a passividade pelos desejos da intempérie.
No capítulo dois, Dietética, na parte intitulada Do Regime em Geral, Fouc
...more
Marie
I could congratulate Michel Foucault on his research and examination of the way in which ancient greeks regulated, viewed and analyzed sexuality. I could talk about how he didn't present a completely distorted view of something that's commonly understood as the unavoidable differences between the greek and the Christian conception, because obviously civilizations had been previously preparing to receive such a message. The people of the Old Testament, though still Jewish, are not the same person ...more
Benjamin
Nov 25, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Less theoretical than the first volume, but it's up to other readers to decide whether that's a good or a bad thing. Foucault presents a history of the "problematizations" of sexuality in ancient times, from marriage to health, homosexuality and love. Foucault doesn't promise a complete analysis but a survey of the key issues that had arisen in ancient Greece. As with his look at Victorian values, the question is not how sexuality was viewed in these eras, but how such a thing as "sexuality" was ...more
Kathleen
this book is a bit like a rorschach test: people tend to read their own issues into the work. do you have issues with homosexuality? then you'll probably read this as foucault's justification of homosexuality based on man-boy love in greece. do you have issues with reactionary, 1970s style feminism--by which i mean, is that the kind of feminism you practice? then you'll probably read this as an infuriating book because it doesn't address women as the central focus of the book.
disregard these rev
...more
Luke Echo
Sep 05, 2016 Luke Echo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is this really a book about sexuality itself? Is it rather a critique of the usual ways of understanding Ancient Greek practices? That, usually, our understanding of Ancient Greece so often falls into error by relying on a kind of pragmatic approach to history.

It is this pragmatic approach that would lead one to see precursors of christian sexual ideas in the the Ancient Greek tendencies toward abstention.

Its easier reading than a lot of Foucault's work but also perhaps due to this ease it is
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Foucault
  • Bodies That Matter: On the Discursive Limits of "Sex"
  • Limited Inc
  • Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics
  • Saint Foucault: Towards a Gay Hagiography
  • Epistemology of the Closet
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)
  • The Ticklish Subject: The Absent Centre of Political Ontology
  • Michel Foucault
  • Speculum of the Other Woman: New Edition
1260
Michel Foucault was a French philosopher, social theorist and historian of ideas. He held a chair at the Collège de France with the title "History of Systems of Thought," and lectured at the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Berkeley.

Foucault is best known for his critical studies of social institutions, most notably psychiatry, medicine, the human sciences and the prison sys
...more
More about Michel Foucault...

Other Books in the Series

The History of Sexuality (3 books)
  • The History of Sexuality, Volume 1: An Introduction
  • The History of Sexuality, Volume 3: The Care of the Self

Share This Book



“There are times in
life when the question of knowing if one can think differently
than one thinks, and perceive differently than one sees, is
absolutely necessary if one is to go on looking and reflecting
at all.”
19 likes
More quotes…