Start by marking “I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury” as Want to Read:
I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury

I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury

In January 1996, a van speeding through a red light ended the life Kara Swanson had known. She suddenly joined the 2 million Americans who suffer brain injury each year. It was like being thrust into a foreign country with no map, no way to speak the language, no directions home.

"This is the book I wish I could have read when I was first diagnosed with a brain injury," Ka

Published December 1st 1999 by Rising Star Pr

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury

Karina
Oct 17, 2016 Karina rated it liked it
Good insight into some of the happenings of someone living with a TBI. I enjoyed reading Kara's funny commentary on her own life. I can't imagine what she continues to go through but am glad to read she continues to grow during her post-injury life. There were some powerful nuggets of advice from Kara and her support team.
Nancy Sweeten
Oct 05, 2016 Nancy Sweeten rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was very informative. It was funny, but still it made me want to cry. I never gave much thought to closed brain injury and what is all involved in a recovery from such an accident. Safety first. I do not want to get on that bus. I am passing this book on for others to read.
Barbara Sonnheim
Oct 08, 2016 Barbara Sonnheim rated it liked it
I found this book to be informative about what one may be dealing with TBI (traumatic brain injury). I don't envy Kara's or anyone else who is going through this situation. I read this book because it was selected for my book club, but really I read it because one of my good friends is going through a similar journey. I hope that just as Kara was able to make progress, that my friend can too.
Tanya
I picked up this book through an inter library loan as it is hard to find now and the few copies for sale are outrageously priced. I have been a reader of Kara's blog for the past year and found her writing to be comforting because she finds the humor in her story of life, despite the tragic injury that changed the course of her life. She gives me hope that though my daughter's brain injury has changed her, her path will still have lots of love and a healthy dose of humor to make the hard parts ...more
Michele
Jan 16, 2015 Michele added it
Shelves: science
Even if you've never given a specific thought to brain injuries, I think this book is worth a look. Reading the story of a woman who's life is changed forever gave me pause to examine my own life. Kara Swanson is strong and brave and has a fantastic sense of humor. She truly made the best of a horrific situation and actually fulfilled her dream of becoming a writer after her accident.

Honestly, one of the scariest thoughts I entertain is that of experiencing a traumatic brain injury or discoveri
Joanie
Nov 11, 2010 Joanie rated it liked it
I bought this after hearing the author speak at the Brain Injury Association of MA Conference. She was a good speaker and I had high hopes for the book. In the end it wasn't bad-just kind of all over the place. I guess if you take into consideration the fact that she's not a professional writer AND that she suffered a traumatic brain injury before writing this it's actually pretty good. I don't know that I can see anyone reading this if they didn't have an interest in brain injury though.

Melodie Ramone
Oct 15, 2012 Melodie Ramone rated it it was amazing
This is a first hand account of a woman surviving and compensating after traumatic brain injury. I read this about ten years ago after somebody I was close to suffered a TBI in a car accident. It helped me cope with the changes in his life and in our environment and to understand his side of a very difficult situation. It's funny and moving and life touching. A must read for anybody who has or who knows someone living with TBI.
Mark
I read this book in hope of learning what I might attain after brain resection and near-fatal stroke. I did not read critically, but found hope for my future of becoming somewhat indepent and functional. All this was 8 years ago.
By the way, I maintain that every brain injury is traumatic, and take offense in characterizing only a certain sub-class of such injuries as traumatic.
Karen Janulewicz
Jan 17, 2013 Karen Janulewicz rated it it was amazing
This was a must read for me, after an acquired brain injury. Helped me understand a little more about how my life was going. A must read for anyone with a brain injury or a family or friend of a survivor.
Christine
Aug 18, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
An amazing book by an amazing woman! I had the pleasure of meeting Kara at a Brain Injury Association event a few years back. She was the keynote speaker. I was astonished by her story and sense of humor and couldn't wait to read her book. I'm honored to have a signed copy.
Charlie
May 26, 2012 Charlie rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-life, biography
I loved that the author was from michigan and described places I have been... I think the story she tells is very good at explaining what these people go through.
J
Jul 07, 2011 J rated it really liked it
No all Traumatic Brain Injury is equal. Each day and each person is a new adventure in relearning and developing compensation skills.
The Miracle Man
Feb 04, 2014 The Miracle Man rated it really liked it
Funny at times but still disturbing. I wasn't sure what to think when I started reading this book, but I laughed and sometimes chuckled about this author's antics.
Paige Jaeger
Paige Jaeger rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Arla
Arla rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Carol Bernard
Carol Bernard rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Angie Eddy
Angie Eddy rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Cristiana
Cristiana rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Glenice Swenson
Glenice Swenson rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Kathy Fillmore
Kathy Fillmore rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Mar Robbart
Mar Robbart rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2007
Shelly
Shelly rated it liked it
May 24, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Kims
Kims rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2014