Start by marking “I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury” as Want to Read:
I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury

I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In January 1996, a van speeding through a red light ended the life Kara Swanson had known. She suddenly joined the 2 million Americans who suffer brain injury each year. It was like being thrust into a foreign country with no map, no way to speak the language, no directions home.

"This is the book I wish I could have read when I was first diagnosed with a brain injury," Ka

Published December 1st 1999 by Rising Star Pr

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Carry the Fork! Recovering a Life After Brain Injury

Michele
Even if you've never given a specific thought to brain injuries, I think this book is worth a look. Reading the story of a woman who's life is changed forever gave me pause to examine my own life. Kara Swanson is strong and brave and has a fantastic sense of humor. She truly made the best of a horrific situation and actually fulfilled her dream of becoming a writer after her accident.

Honestly, one of the scariest thoughts I entertain is that of experiencing a traumatic brain injury or discoveri
Melodie Ramone
This is a first hand account of a woman surviving and compensating after traumatic brain injury. I read this about ten years ago after somebody I was close to suffered a TBI in a car accident. It helped me cope with the changes in his life and in our environment and to understand his side of a very difficult situation. It's funny and moving and life touching. A must read for anybody who has or who knows someone living with TBI.
Joanie
I bought this after hearing the author speak at the Brain Injury Association of MA Conference. She was a good speaker and I had high hopes for the book. In the end it wasn't bad-just kind of all over the place. I guess if you take into consideration the fact that she's not a professional writer AND that she suffered a traumatic brain injury before writing this it's actually pretty good. I don't know that I can see anyone reading this if they didn't have an interest in brain injury though.

Mark
I read this book in hope of learning what I might attain after brain resection and near-fatal stroke. I did not read critically, but found hope for my future of becoming somewhat indepent and functional. All this was 8 years ago.
By the way, I maintain that every brain injury is traumatic, and take offense in characterizing only a certain sub-class of such injuries as traumatic.
Christine
An amazing book by an amazing woman! I had the pleasure of meeting Kara at a Brain Injury Association event a few years back. She was the keynote speaker. I was astonished by her story and sense of humor and couldn't wait to read her book. I'm honored to have a signed copy.
Karen Janulewicz
This was a must read for me, after an acquired brain injury. Helped me understand a little more about how my life was going. A must read for anyone with a brain injury or a family or friend of a survivor.
The Miracle Man
Funny at times but still disturbing. I wasn't sure what to think when I started reading this book, but I laughed and sometimes chuckled about this author's antics.
Charlie
I loved that the author was from michigan and described places I have been... I think the story she tells is very good at explaining what these people go through.
J
No all Traumatic Brain Injury is equal. Each day and each person is a new adventure in relearning and developing compensation skills.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Hesper Vittetoe
Hesper Vittetoe marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Eric Klein
Eric Klein marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Emma Cornell
Emma Cornell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Meg
Meg added it
Jan 06, 2014
Melissajoann21aol.com
Melissajoann21aol.com marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Tracy Gebhart
Tracy Gebhart marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013