Start by marking “Etruscan Places” as Want to Read:
Etruscan Places

D.H. Lawrence

Etruscan Places

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  7 reviews
D. H. Lawrence visited Etruria in April, 1927. It was his "last pilgrimage". There sprang from it a documentary account which is both literary guide and spiritual testament, a global vision of the Etruscan civilization.
Paperback
Published August 29th 1957 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Etruscan Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etruscan Places

Al Maki
It is a very readable and enjoyable book about a week spent visiting Etruscan relics in the mid-20s. I hadn't read any Lawrence since the Beatles were performing and so I didn't realize what a fine writer he was. His descriptions of the landscapes and the tombs are so very clear and accurate. The narrative of the trip flows along naturally, one event leading easily to the next. I also owe him for a couple of specifics. He coined the phrase "temporarily important persons" to describe politicians. ...more
Alex
What struck me most about DH Lawrence's travelogue through Italy? The seemingly casual interactions with fascism. The leisurely, unhurried pace (to avoid saying "slow") of life in these small towns which were once Etruscan strongholds. That nomadic spirit that allows two companions to travel across a foreign land, truly exploring, asking locals for services and obtaining it. The simpler times such images evoke now. But most certainly not the Etruscans themselves.

Indeed, just as history has provi
Claire
You'll learn more about D.H. Lawrence than you will about the Etruscans, but still an interesting and quick read.
Jacek Ambroziak
There's nothing like having this book with you while visiting Etruscan places in Tuscany. I was reading about Vulci while sipping wine in Montemerano, right after visiting Vulci. (I wish I could add some photos to GoodReads). I was driving a nice car but DH Lawrence had to travel to these, then obscure, location on very slow train, then horseback. And yet the necropolises are now hardly more ancient than in the 1920's when DHL and Frieda visited them. Highly recommended for your next visit to Tu ...more
Jenny
Very interesting read while I was visiting many of the places Lawrence wrote about. Many things have changed since he was there but many are, surprisingly, still the same. His history might have been inaccurate but his passion for his subject was evident.
Jessica
Part travel narrative part scholarly chatter, Lawrence explores tombs in Italy. He has some good ideas and phrases by they were buried in dry prose. Not my cup of coffee.
D
i can acknowledge this book's place in the canon without ever having really enjoyed it or wanted to revisit it.
Stephanie Blackwood
Stephanie Blackwood marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Adnan Rahman
Adnan Rahman marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
L. Alexandra
L. Alexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Laurelyn Anne
Laurelyn Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Karen Ohren
Karen Ohren marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
R.G. Rankine
R.G. Rankine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Alanna
Alanna added it
Sep 09, 2014
Ale Calderón
Ale Calderón marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Ashleyeholland
Ashleyeholland marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Joanna Harrodine
Joanna Harrodine marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
400nc
400nc is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel ...more
More about D.H. Lawrence...
Lady Chatterley's Lover Sons and Lovers Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) The Rainbow (Brangwen Family, #1) The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)