Start by marking “Etruscan Places” as Want to Read:
Etruscan Places
D.H. Lawrence

Etruscan Places

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  10 reviews
D. H. Lawrence visited Etruria in April, 1927. It was his "last pilgrimage". There sprang from it a documentary account which is both literary guide and spiritual testament, a global vision of the Etruscan civilization.
Published August 29th 1957 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Etruscan Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etruscan Places

LaVonne Powell
This is one of those books where you admire the author until you hear him speak his own thoughts. I bought this book because I am interested in Etruscan culture. It was extremely difficult to put aside Lawrence's immense sense of self-entitlement while reading this book. Example, complaining about the transportation and food in isolated villages. As if the people of these villages should have known that two Englishmen were coming and should be appropriately accommodated. His descriptions of the ...more
Al Maki
It is a very readable and enjoyable book about a week spent visiting Etruscan relics in the mid-20s. I hadn't read any Lawrence since the Beatles were performing and so I didn't realize what a fine writer he was. His descriptions of the landscapes and the tombs are so very clear and accurate. The narrative of the trip flows along naturally, one event leading easily to the next. I also owe him for a couple of specifics. He coined the phrase "temporarily important persons" to describe politicians. ...more
Melissa Kane
It was interesting to read Lawrence's impressions of Italy in the 1920s - to be honest I enjoyed these more than his conjecture about the Etruscans and their world - a world that is still open to much debate almost 100 years later. Some of the passages made for uncomfortable reading, due to Lawrence's apparent feelings of superiority over the local people, but having read other travelogues of the time these sorts of observations weren't uncommon.

I'd be interested to know what sort of state thes
Very interesting read while I was visiting many of the places Lawrence wrote about. Many things have changed since he was there but many are, surprisingly, still the same. His history might have been inaccurate but his passion for his subject was evident.
D.H. Lawrence returned to Italy in 1927 after a soul-searching pilgrimage through Mexico, the American Southwest, Ceylon, Australia, and New Zealand. Gravely ill with tuberculosis, unaware of how little time he had left (he died three years later at the age of 44), Lawrence sought an ideal land where he might flourish as a "whole man alive" and find an antidote for the alienation of industrialized society.
Lawrence's last pilgrimage led him to the Etruscan ruins north of Rome. His idea was to wri
What struck me most about DH Lawrence's travelogue through Italy? The seemingly casual interactions with fascism. The leisurely, unhurried pace (to avoid saying "slow") of life in these small towns which were once Etruscan strongholds. That nomadic spirit that allows two companions to travel across a foreign land, truly exploring, asking locals for services and obtaining it. The simpler times such images evoke now. But most certainly not the Etruscans themselves.

Indeed, just as history has provi
You'll learn more about D.H. Lawrence than you will about the Etruscans, but still an interesting and quick read.
Jacek Ambroziak
There's nothing like having this book with you while visiting Etruscan places in Tuscany. I was reading about Vulci while sipping wine in Montemerano, right after visiting Vulci. (I wish I could add some photos to GoodReads). I was driving a nice car but DH Lawrence had to travel to these, then obscure, location on very slow train, then horseback. And yet the necropolises are now hardly more ancient than in the 1920's when DHL and Frieda visited them. Highly recommended for your next visit to Tu ...more
Part travel narrative part scholarly chatter, Lawrence explores tombs in Italy. He has some good ideas and phrases by they were buried in dry prose. Not my cup of coffee.
i can acknowledge this book's place in the canon without ever having really enjoyed it or wanted to revisit it.
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Lorenz is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2015
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Mike Martin
Mike Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Kit marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Tony added it
Aug 17, 2015
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Greg Lewis
Greg Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Ricardo Mateiro
Ricardo Mateiro marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Amy Jones
Amy Jones is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
  • The Etruscan
  • Caravaggio: A Life
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • How to Travel Incognito
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel ...more
More about D.H. Lawrence...
Lady Chatterley's Lover Sons and Lovers Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) The Rainbow The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)