Start by marking “The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)

The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson #7)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When workmen converting former girls' boarding school, Chadleigh Hall, into a luxury hotel find a skeleton in a sealed room, DI Wesley Peterson and his boss, Gerry Heffernan are called in to investigate. Within minutes they have a second suspicious death on their hands—a team of marine archaeologists working on a nearby shipwreck have dragged a woman's body from the sea, a...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Skeleton Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skeleton Room

Jan
Wesley is on another adventure. The Detective he replaced (and who no one likes, except Steve) has arrived from London's Met. He is after a murderer he says, who he thinks is hiding out in Devon. He enlists Steve's help. The boss, Gerry Hefferman, is not happy to see him, and makes this known, however he has murders to solve, and his two older children are home from University for the holidays. They have part time jobs, and of course, in some ways they are at places that are linked to a murder!

P...more
LJ
First Sentence: 20 July – The woman in the red T-shirt lay on the sharp gray rocks far below; distant and tiny, like a small fish caught in the teeth of some gigantic sea creature.

Murder past and present. In renovating Chadleigh Hall, a former girl’s boarding school, a secret room has been found holding a secret of its own; the skeletal remains of a woman tied to a chair. Was the murder related to the school or older and associated with the town’s history of causing ships to wreck on its coast,...more
Sarika
I like the interweaving of archeology and modern mystery in this series. Also like the characters and their warm family relationships.
Cora Linn
5 Words: History, greed, murder, revenge, family.

This is definitely one of the better Wesley Peterson books I've read.

More than ever this book touches upon the family relationships between the pages and how these relationships can be so different.

I loved the blend of history and modern mystery and crime fighting and how there's always a little bit of a link. The masterful mix of the times is definitely the best part of this series.

I'm not sure what I think of the way Rachel seems to be thinking...more
Melbourne on my mind
I had a hard time getting into this book. I don't think I realised it was part of a series, and while this is usually less of an issue with crime fiction than elsewhere, I still struggled a little in the beginning to keep all the characters straight. But ultimately, the mix of past and present won me over and I ended up rather enjoying it. I wouldn't say that I'd be rushing out to read the rest of the series, but there were plenty of twists and turns to keep me guessing throughout.
Susan
Wesley Peterson is concerned about his over-worked, pregnant wife Pam, his ditzy mother-in-law, his widowed boss Gerry, and--oh, yes--his work as a policeman. A shipment of computers has been hijacked, a woman has fallen to her death from one of the many local cliffs, and there's an officer down from London looking for a man accused of murdering his wife. Then workmen remodeling an old house come upon a skeleton.
Lexie Conyngham
This is one of a series of quietly intelligent books, police procedural mysteries with an archaeological streak set in Devon. The main characters are realistic and lead real lives, nothing too dramatic and no sick violence, but a good mystery with a strong sense of history, and parallel lives in two time periods. Very enjoyable.
Vivienne
Another well written intriguing murder mystery in which crimes of the past overlap with the present day. I really love this series now and look forward to getting my hands on next volume.

I note that these are a little longer than the earlier ones perhaps indicating 21st century trend towards longer novels.
lytteltonwitch
Another great book from Kate Ellis. Lots of plots within plots and you are kept guessing until the end. The matching historial theme involved wreckers along the coast of Devon and what a horrible bunch of people they were. The author makes her characters so real that I can easily picture them in my head.
Karren
You have to appreciate the cleverness of the author to include an archeological event that loosely ties in to the current day crime - I am endeared to the characters in this series and I have followed their journey in order from book 1 and I will eventually read them all
Roshni
Another great book by Ellis, but I guessed the murderer in this one. Still, the past and present murders are expertly woven in. The angle about Wesley's personal life could be eliminated as it just removes momentum and suspense.
Carole Sarvis
Good read, not too gruesome or too heavy, good plot but not too convoluted.
Dianne
Aug 02, 2012 Dianne added it
Love all of these mysteries, pretty much keeps you in the dark till the last chapter. She is in England, but can usually find them on Amazon.
Ram Kaushik
Pretty entertaining but the coincidences got more and more incredible as the book progressed till the point it got totally ridiculous...
Jessica
Another steady, well-written mystery from Ellis - her research always leaves you a little more knowledgeable than before.
Wendy Connah
i really enjoyed this book first one i have read by this author
Pauline
Aug 12, 2010 Pauline added it
Shelves: owned
I own this book.
Bob Denton
Bob Denton marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Oct 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Melena Dennis
Melena Dennis marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up...more
More about Kate Ellis...
The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1) The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2) An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3) The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5) The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)