Start by marking “Girls' Poker Night” as Want to Read:
Girls' Poker Night

Girls' Poker Night

Dissatisfied both with writing a “Single Girl on the Edge/ Ledge/Verge” lifestyle column and with her boyfriend (who has a name for his car and compulsively collects plastic bread ties), Ruby Capote sends her best columns and a six-pack of beer to the editor of The New York News and lands herself a new job in a new city.

In New York, Ruby undertakes the venerable tradition
Published February 11th 2003 by Random House (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Girls' Poker Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls' Poker Night

Leticia
Sep 10, 2016 Leticia rated it it was ok
I liked the format, so kept going and hoping and wishing. In vain. Unnecessary and mostly plain.
Stefanie
Jul 21, 2010 Stefanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
I absolutely flew through this book. Seriously, three hours and done. And when I was finished I still felt as if I had no idea who the characters were. Ruby is likable, but everything in the novel takes place so quickly that you never really get to know her friends from poker night or her love interest. Her family drama almost seems unnecessary. I love chicklit, but this one did not have a lot of depth. Sometimes that's good, but I still like to root for the characters, and I really couldn't do ...more
Melissa
Aug 02, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Ruby Capote decides to leave her boyfriend and her boring job and move to New York. There she finds a new job, a tasty boss and enjoys weekly poker games with her eclectic group of friends. Then we find out what happens when the job gets hard and romance leads to complications with said tasty boss.

Does it sound like a dozen other similar book premises yet? Girls' Poker Night is nothing special when it comes to the plot. It is well written, smart and funny, which is all I really ask from a chick
Julie
Apr 14, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It felt like the author and the main character, as it's written in her perspective, was a bit A.D.D. Very jumpy. Lots of randomness. In the VERY end, it becomes a little more cohesive, but I felt like I was reading the ramblings of an adult with ADD, hyped up on sugar and 4 pots of coffee. Some funny parts, and a likeable main character that has both good traits and relate-able flaws. If you can handle the jumpiness and crazy topic changes, and can follow lots of "streams of ...more
Andrea Campbell
Feb 04, 2013 Andrea Campbell rated it liked it
To me this book was a wanna be Sex and the City only written a little better. Ruby was similar to Carrie Bradshaw in that she was a writer and Davis even used Miranda's last name (Hobbs) as the last name of Michael (Ruby's boss and love interest.) Since there was so much "therapy" the character seemed more like Miranda only with Carrie's career choice. I gave it three stars because I laughed several times otherwise it would have been a two star. I would have thought I would have read this in a ...more
Sharon
Jul 03, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok
This was recommended by a friend who said it was entertaining. After I started reading, I realized I had read this book before. I recognized this based on the fact that the central character got a job at the New York Times by sending a letter to the editor along with some of her newspaper columns and was hired without being interviewed and that someone’s mug gets stolen. Totally forgettable book and now that I have a list of my books, I will hopefully not read this again.
Genevieve
Jul 30, 2015 Genevieve rated it liked it
I wish there were half-star rating options.
This book is hilarious. Whack you on the head, kick you in the pants hilarious but very short and something is missing.

2 1/2 stars for depth and content, 3 stars for humor. Read it on a day [because it's a super quick read] when you need a little caustic, touching pick-me-up.
Maria
Apr 26, 2015 Maria rated it it was ok
Kristyn
Aug 09, 2012 Kristyn rated it liked it
The book is a fast read, basically about a girl who is trying to defined herself and what she wants in the future. Ruby had a traumatic death of her father at an early age that she let's define herself. During the course of the book you learn more and more about how this event has shaped everything that she does. She does not want to open up for the fear of losing anyone else.
Knitme23
Aug 24, 2015 Knitme23 rated it really liked it
Nearly gave up on this due to its super short, super zippy one-liner format, but am ultimately glad I stuck with it, as Davis manages some really interesting character development in the last third of the book. Davis is a funny writer, and it was nice to see her turn a laugh-track into a more rewarding and reflective novel about relationships, friendships, and trust. Stick with it!
Abigail
May 08, 2015 Abigail rated it it was ok
Different format- not done in chapters but broken up by 'thoughts'. Don't feel like I know the characters, but just vague outlines. The main character isn't interesting enough for me to want to know her more, but some of her friends seem interesting.
Belinda Bowers
Jul 01, 2013 Belinda Bowers rated it it was ok
It was a very fast read- written with very short chapters. It was ok. It felt like I have read very similar stories before. The characters weren't memorable. Nothing stuck with me after I read it.
Tyne Swedish
Jul 30, 2011 Tyne Swedish rated it did not like it
Shelves: attempted
This book is great if one is in High School. I read this 200+ page book in under an hour. It is funny in a youthful way...not in a Carrie Bradshaw way.
Julie
Oct 31, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Some language involved that almost made me stop reading, but glad I persevered. The story made me think and analyze more than I had expected.
Tonya
Jun 06, 2011 Tonya rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
It was ok. I liked it better than the other books I have read of hers. The characters were pretty one-dimentional, and kinda generic. I was hoping for better.
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2011
Rebecca Howell
Rebecca Howell rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2012
Christine G
Christine G rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Brittany Murphy
Brittany Murphy rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Banke
Banke rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Mandi
Mandi rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2011
Adina Moss
Adina Moss rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2013
Vanessa Willett
Mar 30, 2013 Vanessa Willett rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny and fun from beginning to end!!
Jolene
Jolene rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Shawna
Mar 22, 2011 Shawna rated it really liked it
This is an easy read and pretty funny
Alycia
Alycia rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Berns
Berns rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • About Falling in Love
  • Washington
  • Down with Love
  • Where Chefs Eat: A Guide to Chefs' Favorite Restaurants (2015)
  • Tom Fitzmorris's Hungry Town: A Culinary History of New Orleans, the City Where Food Is Almost Everything
  • FUDS: A Complete Encyclofoodia from Tickling Shrimp to Not Dying in a Restaurant
  • Remind Me Again Why I Married You
  • Stupid Cupid
  • Dark Seduction (Daughters of Myth #2)
  • Things Your Dog Doesn't Want You to Know: Eleven Courageous Canines Tell All
  • A Curious History of Food and Drink
  • Loose Lips
  • Shadows of Falling Night (Shadowspawn #3)
  • Inxs: Story to Story: The Official Autobiography
  • Right Livelihoods: Three Novellas
  • Fed, White, and Blue: Finding America with My Fork
  • Aleron: Book One of Strigoi Series
  • Guilty Feet

“Happy endings aren't for cowards. I've been alive for how many years, and I've just found that one out. I learned to be unfaithful from my parents. Not infidelity in the classic sense- but I was always prepared for the unhappy ending, which made me less willing to word toward a happy one. I was unfaithful to the idea of a well-adjusted future.” 6 likes
“Everyone's always concentrating on first love. No one seems to care much about second love. or third. Or Fourth love. First love, that's the one that's always celebrated and documented like it never happened before to anyone, anywhere.” 6 likes