Start by marking “Bird Eating Bird: Poems” as Want to Read:
Bird Eating Bird: Poems

Bird Eating Bird: Poems

Bird Eating Bird is a new collection of poems from Kristin Naca, winner of the 2008 National Poetry Series mtvU prize as chosen by Pulitzer Prize winner Yusef Komunyakaa. Playful and serious all at once, Kristin’s work explores the richness of her cultural and linguistic heritage and perpetuates NPS’s tradition of promoting exceptional poetry from lesser-known poets.
Published September 29th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Bird Eating Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Eating Bird

Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bird Eating Bird is a dense tour de force that scarcely seems like a first book. It justly deserves its place in the National Poetry Series and as an MTV U award winner, as it hits the sweet spot of literary-skillful and highly accessible. Whether we are roaming the heartlands of Nebraska,the Philippines, Mexico City, or San Antonio Texas, Kristin Naca manages to take us there with vivid contemporary stories and linguistic precision.

"The nubs of the tongue site fat and bulky as flowers./ Say, *
Jen Miller
Apr 02, 2011 Jen Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heard Kristin Naca read last night at Open Book.

FANTASTIC!!!

Her combination of irreverence and reverence is something I simply adore in poetry... my mind is full of great images, sounds, and ideas.

Heather
Nov 28, 2009 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Megan
Shelves: library-books, poetry
I like poems that are buildings of images; I like poems that are stories. Kristin Naca writes both those kinds of poems, and also writes lyrical poems, romantic poems, poems that play with language(s) and words. Sometimes the poems in this collection were too lyrical for me, or too language-focused, but others are just lovely, like "Speaking English Is Like" (read it here - scroll down a bit to find the link to it). =

Other poems I liked a whole lot: "Uses for Spanish in Pittsburgh," with its ima
James
Dec 18, 2009 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the sensual attention of language in "Glove," and the languorous description of drinking Pepsi from a bottle in "Ode to Glass." "Becoming" is a spirited tribute to the power of creativity. Several poems have long lines floating and wrapping, which surprise with their fresh imagery. "Driving, I-80" Nebraska is a glimpse into a meaningful conversation on the road, with the landscape anything but a passive observer. Beautiful visuals throughout, including "A pulp of stars through the sieve o ...more
Jeff
Dec 04, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous range. Has a kind of humility that can turn implosive: “I should have asked for love like rent, up front.” But, at the same time, Naca’s memory is something to marvel and unabashedly on display. My favorite poems have the completely awesome effect of setting the reader down in front of a truth (about a friend, lover, locale) and then remembering them/it harder.

Don’t be afraid of its MTV prize, which is just because this book knows how to meditate better than most. Komunyakaa deems it “
Nancy
May 20, 2010 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Earnestly asking about words, language, native tongue, and the translation of life from generation to generation and place to place. (Maybe too earnest for my current mood?) Answering with clear and sensuous images. With whole swaths in Spanish -- a treat.
Teshamae
Mar 09, 2011 Teshamae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This Minnesota writer (and Hamline professor) grapples with what it means to be have a heritage that includes America, the Philippines and South America. It's a fascinating glimpse into what many face.
Qinglan
Jun 09, 2015 Qinglan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Upcoming great first book
Darren Angle
Feb 23, 2010 Darren Angle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Naca moves the Earth. Keep watching.
Molly
Dec 19, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
Especially in love with the house variations, but 'vary' seems such a good word to connect to the whole, 'vary' and 'range,' as if I traveled somewhere in many different vehicles.
Donna Munoz
Donna Munoz rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Javier Zamora
Javier Zamora rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Ben Wheeler-Floyd
Ben Wheeler-Floyd rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Aaron Kline
Aaron Kline rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Shara
Shara rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2011
David Cain
David Cain rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Joshlynn
Joshlynn rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Karlie Ybarra
Karlie Ybarra rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Agus
Agus rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2013
Maureen Mo
Maureen Mo rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2013
Clint
Clint rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Eliza
Eliza rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Krystiana
Krystiana rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
M
M rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016