Bird Eating Bird

Bird Eating Bird (National Poetry Series #143)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The 2008 National Poetry Series MTVU Prize Selected by Yusef Komunyakaa
Published September 29th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Bird Eating Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Eating Bird

Elizabeth
Bird Eating Bird is a dense tour de force that scarcely seems like a first book. It justly deserves its place in the National Poetry Series and as an MTV U award winner, as it hits the sweet spot of literary-skillful and highly accessible. Whether we are roaming the heartlands of Nebraska,the Philippines, Mexico City, or San Antonio Texas, Kristin Naca manages to take us there with vivid contemporary stories and linguistic precision.

"The nubs of the tongue site fat and bulky as flowers./ Say, *...more
James
I like the sensual attention of language in "Glove," and the languorous description of drinking Pepsi from a bottle in "Ode to Glass." "Becoming" is a spirited tribute to the power of creativity. Several poems have long lines floating and wrapping, which surprise with their fresh imagery. "Driving, I-80" Nebraska is a glimpse into a meaningful conversation on the road, with the landscape anything but a passive observer. Beautiful visuals throughout, including "A pulp of stars through the sieve o...more
Jen Miller
Heard Kristin Naca read last night at Open Book.

FANTASTIC!!!

Her combination of irreverence and reverence is something I simply adore in poetry... my mind is full of great images, sounds, and ideas.

Molly
Especially in love with the house variations, but 'vary' seems such a good word to connect to the whole, 'vary' and 'range,' as if I traveled somewhere in many different vehicles.
Heather
Dec 07, 2009 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Megan
Shelves: library-books, poetry
I like poems that are buildings of images; I like poems that are stories. Kristin Naca writes both those kinds of poems, and also writes lyrical poems, romantic poems, poems that play with language(s) and words. Sometimes the poems in this collection were too lyrical for me, or too language-focused, but others are just lovely, like "Speaking English Is Like" (read it here - scroll down a bit to find the link to it). =

Other poems I liked a whole lot: "Uses for Spanish in Pittsburgh," with its ima...more
Jeff
Gorgeous range. Has a kind of humility that can turn implosive: “I should have asked for love like rent, up front.” But, at the same time, Naca’s memory is something to marvel and unabashedly on display. My favorite poems have the completely awesome effect of setting the reader down in front of a truth (about a friend, lover, locale) and then remembering them/it harder.

Don’t be afraid of its MTV prize, which is just because this book knows how to meditate better than most. Komunyakaa deems it “...more
Nancy
Earnestly asking about words, language, native tongue, and the translation of life from generation to generation and place to place. (Maybe too earnest for my current mood?) Answering with clear and sensuous images. With whole swaths in Spanish -- a treat.
Teshamae
This Minnesota writer (and Hamline professor) grapples with what it means to be have a heritage that includes America, the Philippines and South America. It's a fascinating glimpse into what many face.
Meryl
Gorgeous and more gorgeous. New testimony of the sensuality in language, speech. Missed my bus stop I was so deep into reading this. A favorite phrase: "a tizzy of dizzy love-hung women."
Darren Angle
Naca moves the Earth. Keep watching.
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Emily Crow
Emily Crow marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Krystle
Krystle marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013