The Pastry Queen Christmas: Big-Hearted Holiday Entertaining, Texas Style

The Pastry Queen Christmas: Big-Hearted Holiday Entertaining, Texas Style

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It's Christmastime at the Best Little Bakery in Texas

The annual Fredericksburg Christmas parade marks the beginning of the Texas Hill Country's holiday season, which means the Pastry Queen is kicking into high gear at her Rather Sweet Bakery and Café. As party invitations pile up in the mailbox, Rebecca Rather is up to her elbows in sticky meringue, creamy chocolate, and a...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Ten Speed Press (first published September 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Pastry Queen Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pastry Queen Christmas

Phyl
Got this cookbook from the library - when possible i like to read the cookbook abit before deciding to purchase. I do have a fairly extensive cookbook library (I do still prefer cookbooks to finding recipes online). In this case, i am not going to go out and buy it. While there were some lovely pictures, there were not enough. In this day and age of internet recipes that all have pictures, it is hard to understand why a cookbook would not include photos. I also was not super impressed with the r...more
Michelle
Rebecca Rather does it again with a gorgeously photographed book of mouthwatering recipes. I just made her Torched S'mores. They were super rich- a thick graham and toasted almond crust, gooey homemade marshmallows and a thick warm chocolate sauce. If your heart doesn't beat faster after eating one of those, I think you may be dead.
Jess
I really enjoyed this book. The recipes are great. However, I wish there were more photos of the food. Most of the photos in the book are of people or the area, which is nice, but kinda makes this book more of a coffee table book.
Minna
Many of the recipes were a little labor-intensive for me at this point in my life, OR they were a little too rich, but WOW did everything look (and sound) good. The recipes seemed easy enough to follow (albeit involved), the descriptions and anecdotes were charming, and the pictures looked delicious, so I would give this book 4 stars even if I don't end up making anything from it.
Rebecca Rather is a culinary queen for sure! The Green Bean Bundles with Bacon went over really well, as did the Cheddar Green Chile Biscuits. The eggnog recipe is almost dead on our family recipe--definitely for those who like a little more nog than milk. The photography in this book is amazing as well. Sadly, neither of Rebecca's bakeries are open in Fredericksburg anymore. Time to dust this one off for Christmas.
Png
I chose this because of the dessert recipes but the savory dishes and drink recipes deserve a mention. A few great ones that caught my eyes: Sweet Potato Scones, Apple-Spice Layer Cake with Caramel Swirl Icing, Carlton's Chocolate Chewies, and the frosting from the Christmas coconut Cake recipe is a unique version to the standard boiled frosting recipe (which I think is worth a look).
Rachel
Based on the cover I assumed that this was a Pastry cookbook. It is so much more. There are a variety of recipes that encompass both traditional Christmas fare as well as new favourites. This book also includes tips on gingerbread houses, decorating, trimming trees and other Christmas "stuff." I am looking forward to trying some of these delicious sounding recipes.
Beka
Another fun cookbook from Ms. Rather. I'm excited to try out the sweet potato scones.
Jolee
Good stuff. Checkout the Cowboy Cookies. Wow-zie.
Jolee
Good stuff. Checkout the Cowboy Cookies. Wow-zie.
Crystal
There needed to be more pictures of the food.
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 27, 2014
Jonnie Kloss
Jonnie Kloss marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Julia Panian
Julia Panian marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Mar 08, 2014
Mel
Mel added it
Dec 31, 2013
Intan Cahya
Intan Cahya marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe Pastry Queen Parties: Entertaining Friends and Family, Texas Style Pastry Queen Parties: Entertaining Friends and Family, Texas Style