Start by marking “The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #1-5)” as Want to Read:

The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition (The Cleric Quintet #1-5 omnibus)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,694 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
New York Times best-selling author R. A. Salvatore's beloved Cleric Quintet novels, now in a trade paperback.

R.A. Salvatore's Cleric Quintet tells the story of the scholar-priest Cadderly, plucked from the halls of the Edificant Library to fulfill a heroic quest: to stop the chaos curse unleashed upon Faêrun.

This one-volume collection includes all five of the original Cler
Published January 1st 1999 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition

Shadowdenizen
Mar 11, 2016 Shadowdenizen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-d-novels
While I cannot bring myself to read much of RA Salvatores work anymore (the Drizzt/Dark Elf saga has been steadily becoming more and more repetitive and nauseating as time passes, and I gave up completely after "The Companions" [in which all Drizzts' dead companions are brought back to life, effectively negating decades of canon!]), I actually found this series refreshing.

While the Drizzt saga (obviously) focuses on Drizzt, I found this book to be more of an ensemble cast, where each character i
Samuel Lane
May 30, 2009 Samuel Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 of 5 stars.

This book was in many was better than the Drizzt series. The characters are more relatable to the average reader and the main character faces a battle many of us do: One of faith and religion. The book is written in typical Salvatore fashion, it goes deep into the characters mental and logical thinking process and the fight scenes are very detailed. There were only two major flaws I found in this series.

1. The first book in the series was waaaay too slow. I understand that a found
Teresa
Feb 10, 2008 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Previous series The Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale Trilogy, and Legacy of the Drow.

Though Drizzt is not actually in this series, some of the main characters end up in future series, so I'd recommend reading it before Paths of Darkness... etc.

Following this series is the Paths of Darkness series.

I believe that R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the fight scenes until I read other fantasy and felt like the battles were lacking in depth and detail. I'v
Carrie
Oct 09, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the first four books, got to the begining of book 5 and moved on to books I was more excited about reading. As always with Salvatore, some of the characters were really ineresting, others really funny, but the man just can't write.
Elizabeth
Dan Martin
Cadderly is a very awesome character, I was excited, more so than I can explain here, to find out I was reading a book following a chosen (if you are familiar with the forgotten realms universe, there is an enormous pantheon of gods, and gods have to ability to single out a follower they find exceptionally suited to their portfolio, and grant them special abilities; basically making them their avatar on this plane. Cadderly is such a chosen follower. And for a very interesting god I thought. Not ...more
Mar 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best books I've read. I LOVE all the Drizzt books and it was hard to be away from that group of characters while I read this (long) book, but Cadderly and the others were worth it. I can't wait to read it again, but first I have to finish the rest of the Drizzt series.
Vijayan Haridas
Feb 10, 2014 Vijayan Haridas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trying to recall as much as possible, but one thing for sure. Another amazing masterpiece from R.A. Salvatore. If you are a Drizzt Do'Urden from Forgotten Realms fan, don't expect our hero in this series to be like him. Our hero in this is "Cadderly" whom is one towards peace loving and of a scholar whom has been selected by his god and becoming the Chosen of Denier for a great challenge which will change his entire life. In my overall aspect, it's a great book with a interesting storyline. ...more
Kris hutchison
I liked his other books but found this series a bit scattered.
The plot seemed to drift here and there, and I got the impression I was reading a description of someone's game of d&d rather than a book.

The dwarf characters seemed to be heavily inspired by the 7 dwarves from disney's Snow White.
The monk character felt like a throwback to 80's kungfu movies.
If this book took itself a little less seriously it could have been funny.

Read all the other R.A Salvatore's books first then come back t
Angus Mcfarlane
It has been a while since I've read a big fantasy epic. This one was a discard from the library, and the dragon on the from looked interesting. I'd seen Salvatore on shelves in second hand stores too - maybe this would revive my enjoyment of the genre.

A retro D and D fan finally got me started on it, and I was quickly aware of why he was enamored with it. All of the role playing caricatures were evident in the construction of the characters. Trite? Wasn't too bad after a while but felt unimagina
Jared
Feb 10, 2016 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Thus far I am only through the first two books of the quintet. I wasn't overly impressed with the first one (Canticle). I just didn't feel like there was much reason to actually sit down and read the book. I didn't care for the characters, the story was blase and I figured out what was happening long before Salvatore actually got to the point. And the daunted fight scenes were...well...nothing special quite frankly.

The second book (which name I currently forget) was much better than the first, w
Fisty
Jun 03, 2015 Fisty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book was painfully slow, I had a hard time getting through it. It picked up in the 2nd and was good through the 4th. The 5th book seemed to be a bit of an afterthought. It's definitely not Salvatore's best work but it's worth the read. In hindsight I wish I had gotten the 5 books separately, the collector's edition is extremely heavy.
Katrin
Jul 07, 2014 Katrin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
so this book took me ages. it was almost painful :P i'm very happy i finally conquered this quintet. i must say i was disappointed. i love salvatore, he is my hero! but i just simply could not get into the story. with drizzt it took me half a book or less to fall in love and crave everything that was ever written about drizzt. cadderly.. i read five books now and still i cannot sympathize with him. i'm not saying this book is badly written. it's what we expect from salvatore, although i thought ...more
James Shoop
I love how Salvatore does action scenes. The whole riding on the back of the Dragon and massacring orcs? Loved it! Everything else was fun and lighthearted and whogivesablank if the characters are relatable or interesting or if the plot was engaging. THERE WERE WALKING TREES STEPPING ON GOBLINS AND STUFF, PEOPLE
Leo Mazzi
Apr 08, 2016 Leo Mazzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately for me the book is huge and not easy to carry on a travel that is not so strange since is a compilation of 5 books but gave me problems since I'm used to read while traveling.

In short I liked the books - or I should say I liked them almost all. The least I liked was the last one where the main character acts almost too emotional and foolish so you get the impression that is not himself since from book one he grew bit by bit in knowledge, selfassurance and power and post of it is n
James
Aug 14, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marco
Apr 29, 2010 Marco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected delight...

Introduced in the many tales of Drizzt Do'Urden, Cadderly Bonaduce's tales alongside his wondrous comrades took some time to grow on me but I was glad for the effort as Salvatore has yet to disappoint.

While a love story threads throughout, it is Cadderly's journey of self-discovery from novice to instrument of the gods that pleases. The Bouldershoulder brothers threaten to steal the spotlight at times, Cadderly is the force of chaotic good that brings a new age of enlight
Matt
Apr 04, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Level 1 to Level 20 (give or take).

Semi spoilers (maybe)

There's dungeons. There's dragons. There's elves and goblins and giant eagles. Hits all the standard notes, and not in a bad way.
Matthew
Jan 07, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking a break from the adventures of Drizzt could be just what the doctor, or in this case cleric, ordered. Salvatore takes us into the life of young Cadderly in this series rather than sticking by the characters he has been developing in his other books for so long. Salvatore usually writes very vivid battle scenes but in this book he goes for the magical aspect rather than the physical combat. What we get is a mixed bag. It all works in the end, but sometimes you wonder if some things really ...more
Matt
Apr 25, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the best series books that I have read. It works the same story as LOTR original series. If you like series or are a fan of LOTR than this is a must read.
Jeremy Laird
Jul 09, 2014 Jeremy Laird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series! I had always meant to read it but put it off for years and once I finally did read it I wished I had sooner!
Danny Picard
Oct 30, 2014 Danny Picard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best series I've ever written in this genre I recommend it to anyone who likes RA Salvatore
John Thomas
Almost to the end of book 4. 2 stars is perhaps a little low, but 3 seems too generous. There are so many fight scenes that I find myself waiting skimming through to get back to story development.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This felt like a marathon session of D&D. But an hour later I was hungry again.
David
I think this is on par with the Icewind Dale trilogy. Anyone who has been reading Salvatore's works should not skip this. It's a long and complex story revolving around Cadderly the priest, and all of his tribulations, his growth, his faith, and his relationships with the people around him.

Cadderly is a very unique character and throughout the five novels, you can see how he grows with the experiences he gains. You can see him work through gray situations and how he rationalises and deals with m
Oskari
Jul 15, 2015 Oskari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love the Ivan and Pikel!
Josh Shearer
The Cleric Quintet follows the story of Cadderly Bonaduce and his growth from a simple priest to a powerful cleric. Following in the foorsteps of his popular Drizzt Do'Urden, Cadderly takes the reigns of this five-book series and further explores the world known as the "Forgotten Realms." Each of the 5 books is well-written and could be a standalone novel itself. They were, in fact, originally released as such, but having them all back to back helps to drive the story forward in a more linear an ...more
Chris Copac
Sep 13, 2011 Chris Copac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd started this "book" once before. I think I even made it through the first book of the collection. But I never continued it. It felt slow, sluggish, weak almost. Now that I've finished the last of the collection, I understand why. Having followed Cadderly through all of his trials and tribulations, the ending was much more satisfying than I expected. If anyone who's tried to read this stopped like I did, I recommend giving the entire collection a fair chance.
Amy Sherman
Aug 23, 2015 Amy Sherman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the first book in the quintet. It was slow to get into, but much more interesting near the end. Now starting the second book, and I hope it keeps the interesting themes that were building in the first book in the series.

After finishing the quintet, I have to say I loved these books. As stated above, slow getting into it, but once you have some background for the characters and get moving, there is a good balance of story and action to keep entertained.
Benjamin Collins
Mar 08, 2010 Benjamin Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Its a great book, I powered through this Quintet in about two weeks. It meets a lot of stereotypes of fantasy, elves are silent and old, dwarves are loud and tough, dragons are mythical, but the main hero is a wimp. He's kinda like McGuyver in the first two books, using his wits to get himself out of situations and creating helpful gadgets. If you enjoy R.A. Salvatore and want to take a break from the brooding dark elf please read these books.
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Hand Of Fire (Forgotten Realms: Shandril's Saga, #3)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • The Rite (Forgotten Realms: The Year of Rogue Dragons, #2)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

The Cleric Quintet (5 books)
  • Canticle (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #1)
  • In Sylvan Shadows (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #2)
  • Night Masks (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #3)
  • The Fallen Fortress (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #4)
  • The Chaos Curse (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #5)