Start by marking “Der Tag Des Opritschniks Roman” as Want to Read:
Der Tag Des Opritschniks Roman

Der Tag Des Opritschniks Roman

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,961 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Russland 2027. Das Land hat sich vom Westen abgeschottet und wird von einem Alleinherrscher regiert, der seine Macht mithilfe der Opritschniki, der »Auserwählten«, ausübt: eine allmächtige Leibgarde, die vor nichts zurückschreckt. Zu dieser brutalen und korrupten Elite gehört auch Andrej, der all jene in Schach hält, die dem geliebten Diktator missfallen.

Vladimir Sorokin,
Published 2009 by Heyne Hardcore (first published 2006)

Hadrian
Day of the Oprichnik is heavy and blunt, like the oak clubs of the secret police.

So this is a 'day in the life' story of a secret policeman ('oprichnik') in some future authoritarian dystopic Russia, which combines all of the features of the past authoritarian dystopias of Russia. A little bit of the Soviet secret police apparatus, a little bit of Ivan the Terrible's religious ritual and sanctioned brutality, and a lot of Vladimir Putin's autocratic dystopia which praises God, Mammon, and the Ts
Joseph
Apr 02, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joseph by: Ksenia Anske
Shelves: russian, fiction
Day of the Oprichnik by Vladimir Sorokin is a futuristic Russian novel tied to the past. Sorokin is probably better known for his novel The Queue. Sorokin has experienced Soviet Russia and the rise and fall of democracy. The Day of the Oprichnik is a single day in the life of Oprichnik Andrei Danilovich Komiaga in post-Putin Russia -- 2028.

The Oprichnik were originally part of Ivan IV's Russia. Ivan IV (The Terrible*, in the West, but Great or Powerful in Russian -- Grozny or thunderstorm) had
Michael
Jul 08, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Violet
Welcome to new Russia, where the Russian Empire has been restored back to the draconian codes of Ivan the Terrible. Corporal punishment is back and the monarchy is divided once again, but this is the future, the not so distant future for the Russian empire, or is it? Day of the Oprichnik follows a government henchman, an Oprichnik, through a day of grotesque event.

Day of the Oprichnik is a thought provoking Science Fiction novel of the worst possible Russia imagined. But while the book is dark,
Olga Tikhonova
Sep 04, 2014 Olga Tikhonova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: тем, кто не носит розовые очки
«Идея опричнины до сих пор жива в России. Все наши силовые ведомства считали себя опричниками. Чем отличается Россия от Запада? Немец или француз скажут: государство – это я. А русский скажет: государство – это они, власть. Россия по-прежнему закрыта, беспощадна и непредсказуема по отношению к своему народу»
Владимир Сорокин

«День опричника» — эта книга ровно о том, что в названии. Один день из жизни опричника, человека государева, Андрея Комяги. Его кумир — Малюта Скуратов, его религия — единстве
Chad Post
May 05, 2011 Chad Post rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book grew on me. It's not as satirically funny as I expected, but it's pretty intriguing in a sort of sci-fi-define-a-corrupt-world way. Especially like the bits about Russian literature. Writing a real review for Three Percent and starting The Ice Trilogy as soon as I can. (I just saw a performance of Ice--the second book in the trilogy--in NY and was reminded how creepy/intriguing that book really is. I think it was underrated when it came out . . . or it might take the whole trilogy to p ...more
Ksenia Anske
Oct 01, 2015 Ksenia Anske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book...it's scary. It's the future of Russia re-imagined, with all the nostalgia for the absolutism gone wrong and turned inside out, where bigotry and puritanism and patriarchy and righteous violence mix with reverence and tears spilled over touching songs and hallucinogenic drugs enjoyed in the technologically outfitted dens for high-elite police whose job is to kill and to rape and to pillage and to burn, a la Ivan the Terrible, hence, oprichniks.

Brrr...this is not a book, it's a prophec
Caro M.
Nov 27, 2015 Caro M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very specific mix, this book, this creepy neo-patriarchal grotesque somewhat scifi-ish dystopia. Satirical much, sometimes very funny, sometimes scary and violent, and too true to be funny, especially considering modern tendencies of Russian politics... If you know Russian, you should read it in original, the language of this book is incredible and, hm, beautiful? yeah, surprisingly, it is. And this little book will surprise you, in many ways.
Jim
Dec 13, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia, scifi
To understand this book, one needs a little background. The oprichniks were a semi-monastic brotherhood that acted as enforcers for Tsar Ivan the Terrible. What Vladimir Sorokin does in Day of the Oprichnik is to move the institution into the near future in a post-Putin society in which the West has been walled off and the Chinese are moving into Russian society.

Sorokin is an excellent writer, though I recommend you read this Wikipedia entry before reading the novel.

The oprichniks of the futu
H R Koelling
Ummmm, well... I just finished this book, but I'm not really sure what the heck I read. It's supposed to be funny, but I don't possess the erudition nor am I privy to the esoterica of Russian life to fully appreciate the humor. That said, this book contained several passages of magical realism that reminds me of Gogol, but I just didn't understand what was going on for most of the book. Still, I thought it was an OK novel, but I can't pinpoint why, other than it seems like it had a decent plot a ...more
Margarita
Feb 25, 2011 Margarita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
Although this book is not devoid of a certain humorous slant of the events in Russian history and the current Russian reality, by and large, it is in my opinion, второразрядная порнуха...
zxvasdf
May 25, 2011 zxvasdf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
Andrei Danilovich Komiaga awakes to be attended to by servants who bathe, clothe, and feed him. He then goes outside to approve the severed dogs head to be placed on the hood of his bright red Mercedov before heading to meet the Oprichnina. They begin their day by brutally murdering a traitorous nobleman and take turns raping his wife.

The Oprichnina is the Tsar's shock troopers, his most trusted soldiers to handle certain businesses requiring delicate brutality. This book is just a day in Komiag
Judyta Szaciłło
The quotes on the cover describe this book as witty and scurrilous, humorous and amusing. It is undoubtedly witty, although many cultural references may seem obscure to a reader not familiar with Russian culture and/or literature. It is scurrilous to the point of being vulgar and obscene, but the vulgarity and obscenity are artless to the point of seeming innocent. I probably could have found this book amusing half a year ago, but I've seen too much since and today I find it mainly frightening.

"
Vderevlean
Mda, nu e de mine romanul ăsta. Are multe calități, mai ales în imaginea de coșmar a Rusiei din viitor. O Rusie SF, însă nu improbabilă. E scris bine, însă nu e ptr mine. Nu-mi plac personajele și, uneori, nici traducerea. Nu știu și nu pot verifica dacă vocabularul seamănă cu cel rusesc, tind să cred că nu.
Rămâne însă un roman important pentru imaginea rușilor despre ruși, o caricatură grotescă a ceea ce ar putea deveni cândva imperiul rusesc.
Tuck
dystopian knee slapper of future (or is it?) Rus. It's what happens when capitalism and the market's hand (diamond encrusted and bloody) has free reign. Oh, along with holier-than-thou religion. Told in the classic sardonic tone of all good eastern bloc funny smart people. spoiler: the bath scene is worth reading this book to the end.
Brian
Sep 23, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good disturbing book depicting a dystopian Russian society in the not too distant future. Characters are rich, the settings are well described and the writing is crisp and poignant.
Augustine  of Elsinore
Sorokin's Day of the Oprichnik is a novel that you'll either love or hate. If you have the tolerance and the guts to read something entirely designed to mock and humilate Putin's governance and Russia's trend for authoritative regimes, then I'm sure you'll appreciate the author's sarcastic writing and his theatrical (by purpose) characterizations.

I got my hands on this book by chance and honestly, it's one of these stories which grow on you. Yes, you won't identify with the main character (let's
Katie
Jul 05, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*property of the blog Apollonia in August, published 7/4/15

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a great deal from author, playwright, and screenwriter Vladimir Sorokin, especially when his contemporary, Gary Shteyngart, boasts him to be "one of Russia's greatest writers." Taylor Antrim of Newsweek continues the trend, claiming him to be "one of Russia's literary stars."

Then how is it that his 2006 novel Day of the Oprichnik is so mediocre? And that's being generous. There's too much weight
Dree
Really 2.5 stars for me, but I will give it 3 since I think I missed a lot in this book due to my lack of knowledge of Russian history.

In the near future (2050? 2100? 2200?) New Rus has walled itself off from the west to protect its Russian Orthodox-ness (true Christianity). His Majesty has reinstated the Oprichniks (originally from the time of Ivan the Terrible). In this novel we follow Komiaga, an Oprichnik, through his day--murder, rape, approvals of stage shows, visiting Praskovia the clairv
Susana
Mar 02, 2016 Susana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Francamente no lo entendí. Me desagradó. Las escenas de violaciones, el sexo grupal de los oprichnik, los poemas interminables que terminé saltando, no me parecieron divertidos.
Es mi culpa, leer sátiras de una cultura que no conozco suficientemente no es gracioso.
Jonfaith
Swiftian satire at its finest, I suspect Sorokin was settling some literary scores as well. The House of Ruric has been restored in 2028, The Orthodox Church is now sleeping with the FSB and the result is a compelling dynamo through One Day In The Life (pun intended.) Europe, overwrought with Muslims, is walled of and Mother Rus and ally China engage on the highest levels, altering each other's language and customs to satisfy the bottom line and the approval of the Church Patriarch.
Jane
Confusing futuristic [2028] novel set in a dystopian Russia--technologically advanced but with a secret police [oprichniki] like those from Ivan the Terrible's day; flogging is a common punishment.
The country is ruled by "His Majesty", and whose country borrows from any authoritarian government that has bedeviled Russia, such as Ivan III [16th century] to Putin's heavy-handedness. Fish that bore into one's arms and induce hallucinations are common recreat
Nora Barnacle
Mar 09, 2016 Nora Barnacle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Dan opričnika" je satira napisana uz poštovanje svih glavnih pravila rimske sature, što me je najpre fasciniralo. Mogo me je podsećao na Juvenala, verovatno zato što je on opisivao Neronovo vreme sa sličnim gnušanjem i sarkazmom kao što Sorokin opisuje Putinovo, ili nekog poput njega.

2028. Rusija je opasana Velikim Zidom koji je deli od ostatka sveta u kome, između ostalih, žive arapski sajberpankeri, melanholici, prokleti budisti, pluralisti, megaonanisti i ko još sve ne.
Od Kine do Pariza vo
Rebecka
I love most things about this book: the Muscovy-Asian totalitarian futuristic Russia, the creative use of language, the absurdities... Sorokin manages to create a very credible atmosphere in a mere 150 or so pages, which is great. However, the book is so creatively written that it's difficult to read in Russian. Sorokin uses lots of old-fashioned church slavonicism in his Russian, which I love, and which are just fun (and which are definitely lost in translation), but he also uses somewhat non-s ...more
Krystle
Wherever I first heard about this book (I forget where) described it as being a modern Russian 1984.
And while I understand the comparison on a broad level, the tone of this is so bizarre that it's difficult to take seriously.

I knew I was in store for something special early on when Komiaga was raping the nobleman's wife and the reader is treated to such narration gems as "launch my bald ferret right into her womb" and "how faaar to the sugary caaaantering cuuuuuunnnnnntttt!".
Magic. Pure magic.

Bu
Dara Salley
May 15, 2014 Dara Salley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read by Vladimir Sorokin was by accident. I was looking for “Day of the Oprichnik” at the library and I picked up “The Ice Trilogy” by mistake. When I got home and realized my error I decided to read “The Ice Trilogy” anyway, despite the fact that it was 700 pages long. It was a good decision because I loved that novel. Reading it was like being on an insane roller coaster ride, I had no idea what would come next, whether I would plunge down a drop or flip upside down. Now, thou ...more
Pavel
First book by Vladimir Sorokin, that I kinda liked. All his anal phase obsessions are still there, but this time they are used with some sense (I know some people who were entertained by them before, I personally don't care about shit eating and stuff like that and find it neither funny nor cool, Salo is the worst film by Pasolini to my tastes).
So the book describes Russia's near future, when days of Ivan The Terrible have met hi-tech digital age: the country is caged behind Great Russian Wall,
Gabriel
La palabra y la acción. Es el lema, la divisa de estos sanguinarios servidores del zar de la Nueva Rusia, La Rusia de la tercera década del siglo XXI. Los opríchnik son el martillo del Soberano, apagan los fuegos de la sedición, cortan las cabezas de los revolucionarios y alcahuetean a la disoluta y nictófila zarina. Gozan de todas las prebendas que su posición, su corrupción y su doble moral les permiten.

Vladimir Sorokin nos ofrece un tour, un día en la vida de Andrey Danílovich Komyaga. Suena
Bjorn
Apr 23, 2013 Bjorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia
It's 2027, and things are finally right in Mother Russia. The Soviet years and the messy capitalist confusion that followed are long over, the decadent junkie cyberpunks in the West have been shut out with a huge wall, the Czar is back in the Kremlin, the sacred Russian church is in charge of moral, and the not-so-secret secret police keep everyone in check. Finally, everyone can sit back and be Russian - that is work hard, pray, eat black bread, and try not to notice that the Chinese are making ...more
Marthe Bijman
Jan 07, 2014 Marthe Bijman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of post-modern Russian literature
Day of the Oprichnik gave me nightmares – literally. The cover shows a bear, with a dagger and a watch – the Russian brown bear being a popular symbol of the pre-Soviet and current Russian Republic. The dagger is a foretaste of things to come in the novel.

The watch indicates that this is a day and a night in the life of one oprichnik (Russian: опричник, IPA: [ɐˈprʲitɕnʲɪk], meaning ‘man aside'. Oprichnik refers to a member of the organisation known as the known as the Oprichnina (1565-1572) an o
Tom
May 23, 2011 Tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess this is supposed to have been funny, but it was mostly tedious, mostly a chore to get through, with the ostensibly funny parts being either kind of obvious one-note shallow satire (ie- someone curses while yelling at someone else for cursing), or totally reliant on eliciting visceral reactions. Some reviewers called it "provocative" or "challenging" but I didn't particularly get that. I mean-- okay, so satire is supposed to be revealing in some way, right? Using humor to nudge readers in ...more
  • Moscow 2042
  • The Dream Life of Sukhanov
  • Maidenhair
  • The Milkman in the Night
  • The Compromise
Vladimir Sorokin was born in a small town outside of Moscow in 1955. He trained as an engineer at the Moscow Institute of Oil and Gas, but turned to art and writing, becoming a major presence in the Moscow underground of the 1980s. His work was banned in the Soviet Union, and his first novel, The Queue, was published by the famed émigré dissident Andrei Sinyavsky in France in 1983. In 1992, Soroki ...more
More about Vladimir Sorokin...

“medhermeneutical” 1 likes