Start by marking “The Man in the Shed ” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Shed

The Man in the Shed

Short stories with a twist.
Library Binding, 265 pages
Published 2009 by Text Publishing, Melbourne, Astralia

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Shed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man in the Shed

Maria Chatzistogianni
Loved his writing style, and the setting and the fact he is portraying (I think) real every day life. I prefer of course to read happy stories all around, but his weren't so sad. Just life. And life can be not very happy at times. And if you identify in any way with any of these short stories then you are probably normal, and not the happiest person on the planet.
I don't get to read many books set in Australia or New Zealand so it was fun to read. And all I had to do was read a story at a time.
Ben Thurley
Dec 15, 2012 Ben Thurley rated it liked it
Lloyd Jones was really not thinking about happy marriages when he wrote these short stories. Most of them are focused on small-scale marital infidelities and betrayals, where desire and loss take on a kind of ironic weight. A man pulls his own wife from a fish-hook as she is swimming, a torn patch of short shirt emblematic of a wife's loss of trust in her husband, and loss of security and dignity in her marriage.

Some of the stories are engaging and even haunting. A few a neatly constructed and
Fran
Nov 13, 2013 Fran rated it liked it
I bought this book because I LOVED Lloyd Jones's Mister Pip and I was eager to read his short stories. His terse and economic style comes through here. There is some humour and some powerful observations and deep understanding of the lives his short story people live. No question he is a masterful writer. Perhaps I was expecting more feel good stuff (why??). His stories left me uncomfortable (not a bad thing). I continued to read because he's a good writer, but my heart hurt.
Patricia
May 28, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
These short stories are set in NZ and Australia. Some have just enough information to keep you guessing and wondering about the outcome.
Kate
Jun 03, 2012 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-clubs
A book club read - hmm not really my thing. I am not a fan of short story collections and sadly this did not improve my impression.
Arna
May 21, 2012 Arna rated it it was ok
Still not a fan of short stories, a couple were OK. If it hadn't been for book club, I would not have finished.
Eg
Eg rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2014
Emily Taylor
Emily Taylor rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Alison Smedley
Alison Smedley rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Lynda
Lynda rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2015
Clive Bevitt
Clive Bevitt rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Flora
Flora rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Aoife Mccarthy
Aoife Mccarthy rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2013
Adam Gartrell
Adam Gartrell rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Sandra Christie
Sandra Christie rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Biao Ma
Biao Ma rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Parametric
Parametric rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2011
Ella
Ella rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2016
Janet Mcdonnell
Janet Mcdonnell rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Riem
Riem rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Mich
Mich rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2010
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Octabis
Octabis rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Adele
Adele rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Lloyd Jones was born in 1955 in Lower Hutt, New Zealand, a place which has become a frequent setting and subject for his subsequent works of fiction. He studied at Victoria University, and has worked as a journalist and consultant as well as a writer. His recent novels are: Biografi (1993); Choo Woo (1998); Here At The End of the World We Learn to Dance (2002); Paint Your Wife (2004);and Mister ...more
More about Lloyd Jones...