Start by marking “Odd Is on Our Side (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, #2)” as Want to Read:
Odd Is on Our Side (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, #2)

Odd Is on Our Side (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,135 ratings  ·  71 reviews
When things get scary, it’s nice to know that Odd is on our side.

The one and only Odd Thomas is back—in his second edgy and enthralling graphic-novel adventure from #1 New York Times bestselling suspense master Dean Koontz.

It’s Halloween in Pico Mundo, California, and there’s a whiff of something wicked in the autumn air. While the town prepares for its annual festivities,
Published October 5th 2010 by Del Rey (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Odd Is on Our Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odd Is on Our Side

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This is a great Halloween read since the story takes place on Halloween duh :-) I like that Dean is allowing this series of graphic novels to take a different direction from his books. It's almost like an alternate reality - I'm a big fan of the television series FRINGE, btw (Watch on FOX Thursdays or free online :-) I'm rating this a 4 star book - keep in mind that although there is nothing super fantastically amazing in this little book, I rate based on the time and effort I put into the book ...more
Frances
What can one say about ole Odd? Dean Koontz doesn't make me feel silly for liking him. It actually makes me feel good when I find a character that holds my interest through a series. While the stories are all somewhat predictable, they are always entertaining, funny, and sometimes melancholy.

In the new graphic novels, manga artist Queenie Chan, does a great job illustrating the Odd stories. She gives Odd a face that looks EXACTLY as one might imagine. The images don't detract from the stories,
Dave
I had no idea this was a graphic novel when I bought it from the Kindle store. Graphic novels don't work well on electronic book-readers. That being said, I'm not sure what benefit illustrating an Odd Thomas book confers. Koontz is a master at connecting us with, and stimulating, our imagination. Why try to illustrate a short version of a classic series? It doesn't work for me on many levels. Don't buy it.
Elizabeth
Fun little Halloween tale. Getting to know Stormy remains a bittersweet experience.
Perry Reed
I'm not big on manga, or any comics for that reason, but I did very much like Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books, so I thought I'd give the comic books a try. This one, and the prequel, aren't bad, in fact they're better than I thought they would be, but they're nowhere near as good as the original novels. They're prequels, set in the desert town of Pico Mundo before the events of the first book. The main characters of the original book are there, including Odd Thomas, his girlfriend, his "destiny" ...more
Sara Thompson
This is the second graphic novel written for the Odd Thomas series. I rather like the series. I have read the first Odd Thomas novel and plan on reading more when I make time (so many books so little time).
This edition is a unique story to the series which is really nice since the first graphic novel was a rendition of the first book. I like this story and it returns to a time before Odd's girlfriend was murdered. I really like her character and it's nice to have her back. I really like Odd - he
Greg
This was a very easy-to-read graphic novel that I found enjoyable enough but would have preferred something darker, considering that Dean Koontz is a horror writer. In terms of plot, it was rather reminiscent of a Scooby Doo episode but with genuine supernatural elements to it.

I hadn't read anything by Koontz before, although I note that while he created the Odd Thomas character, Fred Van Lente is actually credited as the lead author of this co-written book. This may mean that the writing's sty
Jordan
This is the second Odd Thomas manga graphic novel in the series. They don't really build on each other, or at least the first two don't, so reading In Odd We Trust isn't really necessary (though it was good as well), but you should definitely read Odd Thomas (the first novel) before entering here. Although this is technically a prequel to that story (as denoted by the presence of characters who die in the first novel), the characters are all introduced and forged in that book better than they ca ...more
Melissa
Odd is on Our Side introduces us to the legendary Bodachs and an interesting mystery. This Halloween looks like it'll be on everyone will remember! Plenty of excitement with bombs, parties, and murder! It looks like Odd will have plenty of help though from his friends and even an unexpected spirit. I loved the witty banter between Stormy and Odd.
Alanna
As a lover of Koontz, this wasn't that bad of a read. I've read all the Odd Thomas novels, and adored them all. The only thing, is that they go by so quickly!! I wish there was a way to pack more information in to them. But I guess that's more of an issue with the genre of graphic novels themselves as opposed to the actual reading material.

I liked this adventure very much, and it was nice to see the characters drawn on paper - it gave them an extra dimension they doesn't necessarily come thru i
Colton
A very big improvement over the first graphic novel in this series.

The plot takes place during Halloween, which leads to more visually stimulating territory than the boring illustrations of the last in the series. Everything is smoother, from the dialogue to the pacing to the mystery and suspense.

Its a real quick and fun read and has a little more susbstance to it than In Odd We Trust. I'd recommend it!
Elvia
This graphic novel is similar to the previous one although I think that the plot seemed more remedial. As it is apparently geared toward teens, I can imagine why but I think the first in this series was more interesting. These seem to be prequels to the original Odd Thomas as Stormy is a character in the book. I say this as I have begun House of Odd and it is clearly very different than the other graphic novels.

The plot is on Halloween where bodachs and an ill feeling lead Odd and Stormy to bel
Whitney Boatright
Dean koontz delivers again. Being I haven't read many graphic novels, it was a little tough to follow but still good :) would read again :) A quick read :)
Amy Chevalier
Too short and not in color are the only complaints I have. A fun romp through the early years of Odd's strange journey.
Christine Gilbert
The trend toward anime, the poor portrayal of Stormy, and repetitive plot lines made this a very dull read.
Steven
Quick short story that is a prequel to the series. Some occasional anime like panels diminished this story for me.
Cynthia
a graphic novel from Koontz ... a quick read ... not sure if i'll read another in the series
Johnny
I really liked the story, and the drawings. Stormy is featured a lot and I love her outfit and her hair. The book starts with a lot of stuff almost literally quoted out of the first Odd Thomas novel. It's fun to read it again, but also gave me a feeling of "yeah, we know already, move on!" There are a few new characters -- well, new for the graphic novel, we already know them from the books -- and it was great seeing them; and also to read a bit about the design process in the back of the book. ...more
Diane
"I really despise potty mouths who speak in symbols" - best line
Eeeroars
I've decided I dont like graphic novel Odd. It doesn't feel the same.
Glenda
I love Koontz, but comics are not my thing...
David

Ah, poor Odd, and his Girlfriend Stormy, and all the people in his life, both those who KNOW he can see spirits... and those who do NOT- it's halloween, and something BAD is going to happen. Very Bad.

I found the characters loveable and entertaining, and Odd himself is a sympathetic yet believable character too- this made the plot as interesting as it was entertaining, because it all made sense, too!

Good stuff, and I normally don't care for Dean Koontz... this translates well to graphic novels, t
Heidi
Odd Thomas is back...in comic-book form! This book is actually a prequel to the Odd Thomas novels, which is cool because Stormy (Odd's girlfriend, who died in the first novel) actually gets to be part of the adventure. Odd is a lot more tolerable when he's not mooning over his dead girlfriend all the time. And the comic book was a good length; it introduced the characters, we all had an adventure, and then it ended (instead of going on and on the way the novels tend to do).

I'm now a fan of this
Andy Trinh
Between fake and true, is what I feel at the first time I read this comic, which talk about Fred Van Lente and Stormy Llewellyn. They investigate the new issue by they accidentally found the hint and find a guy want to revenge during the pumpkin slide event, usually celebrate by the senior. After struggle with fighting, the guys had neutralized and every one is safe.
This book is a good example of action and detective comic, which I think the young adult might like this type of comic.
Maura
Fairly average. I love the Odd Thomas books, but I wasn't as impressed by the graphic novels. I grabbed the e-books of these not even knowing they were graphic novels...otherwise I never would have bothered. The stories are quick to read and I suppose the plots are interesting, but this features an Odd before his first book. Which means he's a different character and he doesn't look anything like how I'd picture him. Not impressed, but they aren't bad reading.
Nicole
A huge improvement from the first, in my opinion. While the first seemed to miss the humor that I so love in the Odd series, this one doesn't fail to deliver.
To be honest, I'm still not really sure how I feel about graphic novels, the book snob in me says it's a big cheat. Part of reading is using your imagination, otherwise, just watch a movie! It was interesting though to see the differences in what I had imagined and what the author intended.
Craig
This was the second Odd graphic novel, all of which are set prior to the text novels and feature Odd and his girl friend, Stormy. This one's a fun Halloweeen romp, with some cute and clever bits like a Scooby-Doo adventure. Very light stuff compared to the later books, but still a fun couple of hours of page-turning.
kimyunalesca
"fortunately,I am your knight in shining cellulite" ~P. Oswald "Ozzie" Boone (NY times bestseller)

Chief Porter: Since when are you an explosive expert?
Mr. BOONE: Since THE PENULTIMATE COUNTDOWN over 1.5 milliin copies sold.Jsut because people READ my books does not mean I don't do my research.
Keith
Much better than the first graphic take on Odd Thomas, In Odd We Trust. That previous one suffered from slow, slow pacing. In Odd Is on Our Side, the story moves swiftly and clearly. The humor seems up a notch as well. I'd read more of these, no doubt.
Kristina
I love seeing my favorite characters come to life in many forms of media, and Odd Thomas is no exception. I was quite happy with this miniature installment in the Odd series. Lots of believable twists and turns and not the least bit contrived... for Oddie.
  • Nevermore
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Dragonfly
  • Demon Child
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • The House of Thunder
  • The Mask
  • The Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland #1
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Viva Las Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #5 Buffy Season 1)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Uninvited Guests (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #12 Buffy Season 3)
  • The Blue Girl (Murder Squad, #2.5)
  • Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith - Spiral
  • Predators

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms