Start by marking “Odd Is on Our Side (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #2)” as Want to Read:
Odd Is on Our Side (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #2)

Odd Is on Our Side (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,607 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
When things get scary, it’s nice to know that Odd is on our side.

The one and only Odd Thomas is back—in his second edgy and enthralling graphic-novel adventure from #1 New York Times bestselling suspense master Dean Koontz.

It’s Halloween in Pico Mundo, California, and there’s a whiff of something wicked in the autumn air. While the town prepares for its annual festivities,
Published October 5th 2010 by Del Rey (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Odd Is on Our Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odd Is on Our Side

Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzFear Nothing by Dean KoontzProdigal Son by Dean KoontzWhispers by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean Koontz
Best of Dean Koontz
41st out of 101 books — 10 voters
Odd Is on Our Side by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzHouse of Odd by Dean KoontzIn Odd We Trust by Dean KoontzOdd Interlude by Dean Koontz
Strange Books
1st out of 18 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
A significant improvement from the first Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, In Odd We Trust.

This is a great Halloween read since the story takes place on Halloween duh :-) I like that Dean is allowing this series of graphic novels to take a different direction from his books. It's almost like an alternate reality - I'm a big fan of the television series FRINGE. :-)

I'm rating this a 4 star book - keep in mind that although there is nothing super fantastically amazing in this little book, I rate based on t
Mar 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Fun little Halloween tale. Getting to know Stormy remains a bittersweet experience.
Edoardo Albert
Jun 07, 2015 Edoardo Albert rated it liked it
Ah, the pitfalls of being a franchise author. Now, I thought it was simply a matter of chucking out a few half-formed ideas to your writerly minion and then sitting back and counting the royalties as they flow in, while throwing the odd (get it?) groat to your amanuensis but, it turns out, that is not the case at all. So, here you are, Dean Koontz, bestselling author, owner of the best hair transplant this side of Elton John, dog owner and, now, faithful Catholic after a rather dodgy period in y ...more
Jan 26, 2012 Nefariousbig rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
What can one say about ole Odd? Dean Koontz doesn't make me feel silly for liking him. It actually makes me feel good when I find a character that holds my interest through a series. While the stories are all somewhat predictable, they are always entertaining, funny, and sometimes melancholy.

In the new graphic novels, manga artist Queenie Chan, does a great job illustrating the Odd stories. She gives Odd a face that looks EXACTLY as one might imagine. The images don't detract from the stories,
Jun 05, 2011 Dave rated it did not like it
I had no idea this was a graphic novel when I bought it from the Kindle store. Graphic novels don't work well on electronic book-readers. That being said, I'm not sure what benefit illustrating an Odd Thomas book confers. Koontz is a master at connecting us with, and stimulating, our imagination. Why try to illustrate a short version of a classic series? It doesn't work for me on many levels. Don't buy it.
Lenora Fukui
I expected more, it was okay.

It was a comic book. Not what I expected for an Odd Thomas. When I read Dean's books, I have my on visions of the players, and what I saw were not what I envision.
Sep 24, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Just another Odd Thomas graphic novel. Same story, still good.
Mar 25, 2011 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very easy-to-read graphic novel that I found enjoyable enough but would have preferred something darker, considering that Dean Koontz is a horror writer. In terms of plot, it was rather reminiscent of a Scooby Doo episode but with genuine supernatural elements to it.

I hadn't read anything by Koontz before, although I note that while he created the Odd Thomas character, Fred Van Lente is actually credited as the lead author of this co-written book. This may mean that the writing's sty
Naomi Yaddof
Jul 28, 2015 Naomi Yaddof rated it liked it
"Odd is on Our Side" is actually the second book in this series of graphic novels by Dean Koontz, not to be confused with the original novel published in 2003. It’s Halloween in Pico Mundo, California and Odd the fry cook has uncanny ability to sense supernatural activity. In fact Odd can see ghosts. Elvis is a frequent visitor and comes to warn Odd of something. The problem is that Odd can only see ghosts. They can’t communicate with him. Odd has a feeling something big is going to happen when ...more
Sara Thompson
Jul 06, 2011 Sara Thompson rated it it was amazing
This is the second graphic novel written for the Odd Thomas series. I rather like the series. I have read the first Odd Thomas novel and plan on reading more when I make time (so many books so little time).
This edition is a unique story to the series which is really nice since the first graphic novel was a rendition of the first book. I like this story and it returns to a time before Odd's girlfriend was murdered. I really like her character and it's nice to have her back. I really like Odd - he
Perry Reed
Mar 03, 2011 Perry Reed rated it liked it
I'm not big on manga, or any comics for that reason, but I did very much like Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books, so I thought I'd give the comic books a try. This one, and the prequel, aren't bad, in fact they're better than I thought they would be, but they're nowhere near as good as the original novels. They're prequels, set in the desert town of Pico Mundo before the events of the first book. The main characters of the original book are there, including Odd Thomas, his girlfriend, his "destiny" ...more
Jan 21, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it
This is the second Odd Thomas manga graphic novel in the series. They don't really build on each other, or at least the first two don't, so reading In Odd We Trust isn't really necessary (though it was good as well), but you should definitely read Odd Thomas (the first novel) before entering here. Although this is technically a prequel to that story (as denoted by the presence of characters who die in the first novel), the characters are all introduced and forged in that book better than they ca ...more
Jun 10, 2012 Alanna rated it liked it
As a lover of Koontz, this wasn't that bad of a read. I've read all the Odd Thomas novels, and adored them all. The only thing, is that they go by so quickly!! I wish there was a way to pack more information in to them. But I guess that's more of an issue with the genre of graphic novels themselves as opposed to the actual reading material.

I liked this adventure very much, and it was nice to see the characters drawn on paper - it gave them an extra dimension they doesn't necessarily come thru i
Sep 07, 2013 Elle rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is similar to the previous one although I think that the plot seemed more remedial. As it is apparently geared toward teens, I can imagine why but I think the first in this series was more interesting. These seem to be prequels to the original Odd Thomas as Stormy is a character in the book. I say this as I have begun House of Odd and it is clearly very different than the other graphic novels.

The plot is on Halloween where bodachs and an ill feeling lead Odd and Stormy to bel
Cindy Koch-Krol
Aug 15, 2016 Cindy Koch-Krol rated it really liked it
I love Odd. He's a hero for this 21st century. I love him so much that I even tolerated this book. It had a few twists in Odd fashion, but at times it was more confusing because of the lack of the authors great descriptive writing. These pictures did not always live up to the thousand words they were trying to be worthy of.

That said, I am always glad to have more of the happy Odd, the odd before the tragic loss of his beloved Stormy. I always wished she would show up more in the novels. But, I c

Ah, poor Odd, and his Girlfriend Stormy, and all the people in his life, both those who KNOW he can see spirits... and those who do NOT- it's halloween, and something BAD is going to happen. Very Bad.

I found the characters loveable and entertaining, and Odd himself is a sympathetic yet believable character too- this made the plot as interesting as it was entertaining, because it all made sense, too!

Good stuff, and I normally don't care for Dean Koontz... this translates well to graphic novels, t
I really liked the story, and the drawings. Stormy is featured a lot and I love her outfit and her hair. The book starts with a lot of stuff almost literally quoted out of the first Odd Thomas novel. It's fun to read it again, but also gave me a feeling of "yeah, we know already, move on!" There are a few new characters -- well, new for the graphic novel, we already know them from the books -- and it was great seeing them; and also to read a bit about the design process in the back of the book. ...more
Jul 26, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
Odd Thomas is comic-book form! This book is actually a prequel to the Odd Thomas novels, which is cool because Stormy (Odd's girlfriend, who died in the first novel) actually gets to be part of the adventure. Odd is a lot more tolerable when he's not mooning over his dead girlfriend all the time. And the comic book was a good length; it introduced the characters, we all had an adventure, and then it ended (instead of going on and on the way the novels tend to do).

I'm now a fan of this
Andy Trinh
May 30, 2012 Andy Trinh rated it liked it
Between fake and true, is what I feel at the first time I read this comic, which talk about Fred Van Lente and Stormy Llewellyn. They investigate the new issue by they accidentally found the hint and find a guy want to revenge during the pumpkin slide event, usually celebrate by the senior. After struggle with fighting, the guys had neutralized and every one is safe.
This book is a good example of action and detective comic, which I think the young adult might like this type of comic.
Nov 13, 2015 Colton rated it really liked it
A very big improvement over the first graphic novel in this series.

The plot takes place during Halloween, which leads to more visually stimulating territory than the boring illustrations of the last in the series. Everything is smoother, from the dialogue to the pacing to the mystery and suspense.

Its a real quick and fun read and has a little more susbstance to it than In Odd We Trust. I'd recommend it!
Jan 12, 2015 Maura rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-fiction
Fairly average. I love the Odd Thomas books, but I wasn't as impressed by the graphic novels. I grabbed the e-books of these not even knowing they were graphic novels...otherwise I never would have bothered. The stories are quick to read and I suppose the plots are interesting, but this features an Odd before his first book. Which means he's a different character and he doesn't look anything like how I'd picture him. Not impressed, but they aren't bad reading.
A huge improvement from the first, in my opinion. While the first seemed to miss the humor that I so love in the Odd series, this one doesn't fail to deliver.
To be honest, I'm still not really sure how I feel about graphic novels, the book snob in me says it's a big cheat. Part of reading is using your imagination, otherwise, just watch a movie! It was interesting though to see the differences in what I had imagined and what the author intended.
Feb 24, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Odd is on Our Side introduces us to the legendary Bodachs and an interesting mystery. This Halloween looks like it'll be on everyone will remember! Plenty of excitement with bombs, parties, and murder! It looks like Odd will have plenty of help though from his friends and even an unexpected spirit. I loved the witty banter between Stormy and Odd.
Graphic novel that was pretty good.
This is adapted into young adult graphic novel form from a series of books about Odd Thomas, by Koontz and others (including guy who wrote book: Cowboys & Aliens)
It got me interested enough to try the full versions by Koontz. But I'm not sure!
This one is about Halloween and the dead and not dead that Odd has to deal with.
Jul 18, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is better then the first. It's a nice little Halloween tell about why this town does Halloween differently then others. We get to see Stormy again which I really like reading about her. She is so fearless and Odds opposite when it comes to guns. It was a very quick read for me which I didn't mind at all. I am looking forward to reading the next graphic novel.
May 02, 2012 Craig rated it liked it
This was the second Odd graphic novel, all of which are set prior to the text novels and feature Odd and his girl friend, Stormy. This one's a fun Halloweeen romp, with some cute and clever bits like a Scooby-Doo adventure. Very light stuff compared to the later books, but still a fun couple of hours of page-turning.
Feb 27, 2012 Bob rated it liked it
These were only "okay" continuations of Koontz's Odd Thomas series. What is missing is all the behind the scenes, inner workings of Odd's thoughts and unique sense of humor. These feel a little juvenile in comparison to the novels.
Mar 29, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
This was my very first graphic novel. I thought I should probably venture into GNs with something I was familiar with and loved. And I LOVE Odd! Quick and fun with great pictures that portrayed the characters well. Yes, I just may try some more.
Jun 03, 2016 Caitlin rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
I'm not big on manga/the manga style, but I picked up a cheap copy to give it a try. As someone mentioned previously, the plot felt like "Scooby Doo", and the graphic style only emphasized it. Honestly, not worth the read.
Brett Anningson
Jul 02, 2011 Brett Anningson rated it really liked it
This is kind of a cool little graphic novel. Aimed I think at late teens... it took me about 25 minutes to read it yesterday. But the story is cool - reminded me a bit of the movie "The Frighteners" with Michael J Fox.
  • The Haunted Earth
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Nevermore
  • Dragonfly
  • Demon Child
  • Invasion
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Pale Reflections (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #17 Buffy Season 3)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Odd Thomas Graphic Novel (3 books)
  • In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)
  • House of Odd (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, #3)