Start by marking “Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody” as Want to Read:
Furious George Goes Bananas: A  Primate Parody

Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  32 reviews
George is an ape—not a monkey—and he is perfectly happy living his simple life in the jungle, until one day the man in the funny hat kidnaps him and brings him to the big city. Poor George! Forced to live in a cage at the zoo, then work hard manual labor and be mocked on stage—George has every reason to be upset. In fact, after all the maltreatment, he’s downright furious! ...more
Published May 13th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Furious George Goes Bananas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Furious George Goes Bananas

Betsy
There is no feeling in the world quite like returning to a picture book you loved as a kid, only to discover how weird or disturbing that book was all along. A lot of adults experience this when they first have kids of their own and want to read them the books they used to love. The green elephant in Babar. The unapologetic nudist in In the Night Kitchen. And then there’s Curious George. That happy little monkey has long since had his adventures adapted into movies, television shows, spin-offs, ...more
Arminzerella
Sassy
should be alternately titled, The Ape's Revenge. Also, I was just thinking that Curious George is probably Ivan's cousin (as in The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate) I think this would pair well (along with the first Curious George Book Curious George by H.A. Rey) for a unit about animals in captivity. ...more
Jane Humane
This is a great book for a Humane Education lesson-but only for older children. There isn't anything graphic in nature, but the satire and sarcasm used to illustrate the point (animals being used in entertainment-or taken for selfish reasons from their homes). Young children will not understand this book. ----You could even read this book to a group of high-schoolers. They might think its funny to have a children's book read to them and they will certainly get the message.----
Adrianne
This book was very amusing to me. Why did H. A. Rey write for so many years about ape and kept calling him a monkey?! My son loved the overall story and probably doesn't understand that Furious George has anything to do with Curious George. And that's one of the beauties of it.
Mary Wirt
I had high hopes for this book. It was funny, but I was a little disappointed. I love that everyone points out that George is an ape, not a monkey to the "man with the funny hat." That redeemed it for me.
Robin
Humorous parody of several Curious George stories with bits from other famous primates like Mighty Joe Young and King Kong... and the man with the funny hat finally gets what he deserves.
Ms. Yingling
Fun parody on Curious George. My daughters would have loved this one when they were in elementary school, because there are some troubling themes in the Rey's work!
Karen
Actually perfect for middle schoolers - they will see the humor in this Curious George satire. Would be fun to do a compare/contrast assignment with.
Leslie
4.5 stars. Super fun read-aloud that is currently a favorite with my not quite two year old.

She loves spotting Goon from Goodnight Goon in the theatre crowd.

Lizzie
A good book to teach parody.
Emerson
It was funny that I stumbled upon this Curious George parody just after learning the truth about George's capture. This book--part George, part King Kong--parodies the story about a wild and angry captured ape. And it also pokes fun by saying repeatedly,"he was an ape, monkeys have tails". Probably too advanced for Emerson but tragically funny. BTW, did you hear that the NIH is effectively banning/ending primate research as we know it in the US by deeming most of the current studies "unnecessar ...more
Kerrikoala
This reminded me little of THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN. Yes, it's a parody of Curious George, and I love Curious George, but this George did not get the same love as that George did.* :( At least it had a happy ending!

*After reading some other reviews, I may have to re-read some of the original Curious George stories. I'm used to the later ones (not actually written by H.A. Rey), in which the Man in the Yellow hat is very kind to George.
Marti
My 5 yr old loves the silliness of this book and the similarity to Curious George. I find it a little tedious as the novelty of the Curious George parody wears off after the first 10 seconds. But book has a lot of good points mixed in w/ the silliness and parody - the difference between monkeys vs. apes, the evils of greed, and that it's a bad idea to take a wild animal out of its natural habitat.
Carol
My almost 5 year old loves this book and thinks it's hilarious. Even though he knows the Curious George books I don't think he gets the idea of a parody. For him the story is funny on its own. I find the story a little tedious and the humor, well... childish. Overall a useful book to include in your collection.
Jonathon James
I truly loved this book. The Curious George series was always one of my favorites when I was a child and it was great to read a parody of it. I wish that there were more books with this quality of humor and silliness.
Angie
Funny parody of Curious George books. I think kids will really get a kick out of this one. Takes all that was slightly wrong or questionable about Curious George and turns it around. I loved it!
Elizabeth S
So this is really funny. As with most good parodies, the better you know the originals, the more you laugh. This parodies both Curious George and King Kong.
Tina
apes, parody, dual audience younger children will understand why george is having tantrums, adults will get the references to George the Monkey series
Jim
i think i'd like this better if i'd read any of the curious george books or seen the tv show. as it is, w/nothing to reference it to, its still lots of fun.
Allison
Reasonably cute; I enjoyed the repeated joke about how George is an ape, not a monkey. Curious about what age this most appeal to.
David
Fun idea for a story - a parody of Curious George - but the execution left a little to be desired. The pictures were fun though.
Polly
I don't find Michael Rex's parodies very funny, which I've always felt is kind of the point of a parody.
A parody of Curious George. Might make an interesting instruction tool for students in grades 4/5.
Barb Simpson
Our boys, both Curious George lovers, got this parody & really enjoyed it!
Matthew
Not bad but nowhere near as good as his Goodnight Goon or The Runaway Mummy.
Susie Turner
This is a parody of Curious George (obviously), cute & funny. My kids like it.
Donalyn
This book is supposed to parody Curious George, but I didn't get it.
Tim Laven
Jul 07, 2013 Tim Laven is currently reading it
Shelves: children
Superb - a lot of fun and interesting to read and look at
Angela
great book, fun read a loud to the lower grades.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody The Runaway Mummy: A Petrifying Parody Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian You Can Do Anything, Daddy Truck Duck