Start by marking “The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)

The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries #4)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  2,383 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Published March 10th 1998 by Random House Childrens Books (first published January 1st 1998)

Kira Simion
Feb 23, 2017 Kira Simion rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Probably just me, but I didn't care. It was nice and short, but that's it.
Corbin Billington
“A-Z Mysteries: The Deadly Dungeon” is based on a group of friends who have a similar interest in an Author. They visit her house to find there is a dungeon in the basement and eventually want to explore it to find a ghost. This book was a good read and was easy to finish while keeping my attention. I rated this book three of five stars because I felt the book was too easy to read for my age of people. I recommend this book to all young readers who are interested in mystery books.
Marisa
Jul 14, 2015 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review by my 6 year old:
This was a fun book to read with my mom. I really liked it a lot. It was exciting to read. At first I was scared, but the end it wasn't scary any more.
Diego
Mar 05, 2014 Diego rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Deadly Dungeon : by Ron Roy
This is a good book talks about three guys and a adult the names of the guys are :Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose they go to a few holidays to the house of an uncle its that is close to the beach they are traveling in a bus together with an adult who takes care of them the name of its uncle is wallis they are anxious for coming and knowing how the beach is the place where they are going to live when they come to the place before they come to the house of its uncle he(she
Dan Prillwitz
Oct 31, 2013 Dan Prillwitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Deadly Dungeon” is a book written about three kids Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose who are going to visit their friend Wallis Wallace. The journey starts off with the three riding in a bus on the way to Belfast, Maine where they would be picked up by Wallis. To their surprise Wallis does not pick them up ,but her brother Walker does. Walker takes them to Wallis’ castle and they settle in and eat. The next day they go lobstering with Walker. They come back and eat in this playhouse at Wallis’ cast ...more
Heather Elliott
Nov 16, 2015 Heather Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Deadly Dungeon" by Ron Roy is a mystery novel for young children grades 2 to 4. The book begins with Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose riding in a van on the way to Belfast, Maine to have a sleepover in a castle. Wallis Wallace, Dink's favorite writer, had invited them. All of the kids heard screams behind the walls as soon as they arrived and they were calmly told that every castle is haunted- it is no big deal. The book continues on with the children trying to figure out who or what is haunting M ...more
Emily
Aug 17, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction, mystery
I had never read an A to Z Mystery, and I'm trying to sample all of the major kids' mystery series. This series is just right for the after Junie B. Jones set--just a little harder, but the chapters are fairly short and there are still some pictures. Three friends, Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose, are visiting an author that they saved in one of the previous books in the series. The author lives in a castle that is believed to be haunted, and there are strange sounding shrieks from time to time, but n ...more
Aaron_ebert
May 13, 2013 Aaron_ebert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a mystery and children the ages of 8-12
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Corbin Billington
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Deadly Dungeon" by Ron Roy is a book where Josh, Dink, and Ruth Rose go to the Moose Manor in Pennsylvania to visit their good friends, Wallis Wallace and Walker Wallace. While they're there, there is a screech within the walls of the manor. The screech is thought to be the Ghost of Emory Scott. The manor is located on a hill and at the base of the hill is a cave. The group decides to explore the cave. Within the cave they find a dungeon that holds two endangered, caged parrots. Later that ...more
Amelia
Nov 14, 2011 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny!
Tara
Mar 27, 2017 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I love these mysteries. One thing I like about them is that they address real crimes that kids might actually come upon. Great pictures too!
Katie Gibson
Mar 29, 2015 Katie Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This A to Z Mysteries book, called “The Deadly Dungeon” is a great mystery book for kids in grades 2-4. Growing up, I always used to read the Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children and Hardee Boys books, however, I was never introduced to the A to Z Mysteries books. Now that I have read one, I really wish I had been exposed to them when I was in elementary school. I was very engaged by this book and I think it had lots of suspense and literary elements throughout.

In this book, the three children, Ruth Ros
Deepthi Herga
Nov 19, 2015 Deepthi Herga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snugli-books
My 7 - year old has finished the entire set of the A to Z mysteries (including all the super editions). I started reading them because I wanted to find out how good these mysteries are and after I started, I finished the entire set myself. This will be a common review for all the books in the set (so please forgive me if you see this repeated under another book).

First of all, the mystery part of the book is fairly simple for an adult, but I can see how it can keep a kid engrossed. The characters
Mahin711 Swagger Down
This series is pretty interesting. In this particular book the three detectives try to figure out the mystery of the haunted dungeon. The owner of the castle believes that her castle is haunted but the three detectives figure out that someone had been putting parrots in the basement to make the creepy noises. The big idea of this book is that you shouldn't trespass into other property.
At first the three detectives went to visit Wallis, the lady with the haunted castle. She thought her house w
Miho Kobayashi
-RANDOM HOUSE,level 2.4
-Time 10/9 = 20 minutes: 10/14 = 60 minutes
-7-word summary: Wallis - invited - Dink - Josh - Ruth - terrible - visit
-Discussion questions:
1.Do you like mystery?
Yes, I like it very much because it is a little fear, but it is fun to continue to read and finaly, I am always surprised at ending!
2.Whose novel do you often read?
I like Keigo Higashino's novel. His mystery is very interesting, so I not often but sometimes read it.

I like mysteries so I was attracted to title of thi
Edward Creter
This one si toooo easy. A 3-year-old could solve this one in the first 3 seconds max! Our three junior detectives--Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose--are invited to Belfast, maine to a castle owned by the reclusive and beautiful Wallis Wallace, once rescued in volume A (Or is it the other way around?) to warn them that the castle is haunted by screams in the night...and if they're lucky, they can go lobster fishing. So our Mystery Machine Trio wander the dungeons, stumble on poachers and snack on DUNGENN ...more
Dolly
Jun 10, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an exciting mystery as Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose explore a castle in Maine. Is there a ghost? They even get to go lobstering on Wallis Wallace's brother's boat. This was not our favorite story of the A to Z Mysteries series so far, but it was exciting and fun to read. We are looking forward to the next book in the series, The Empty Envelope.
luhvBOOKS
Jun 06, 2012 luhvBOOKS rated it really liked it
Title: The Deadly Dungeon

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #4

Rating: ★★★★

Summary: Dink's favorite mystery writer, Wallis Wallace, has invited Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose for a sleepover - in a haunted castle! But as soon as the young detectives arrive, they start hearing screams behind the walls. Will they discover who - or what - is haunting Moose Manor?

Review: The teamwork of these characters makes me wanting more every time.

Things I loved: The D mystery!

Things I Hated: N/A
Gideon
May 28, 2012 Gideon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose were going to spend a week with Willis Wallace in a huge, big castle in Maine where she lived. She thinks there is a ghost of her grandfather in her house. One day they went lobstering with her brother and found a trap door. There were parrots inside and they got trapped when the tide came in. They took their jeans and tied knots in them and made a raft to get out. One of Wallis's friends was keeping the birds there and they were loud and noisy. So there were no ghosts a ...more
Jessica
Oct 12, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have given this three stars, but my sons loved it and it was for them that we read it. In a castle built by a now-dead movie star in Maine, three young sleuths investigate a strange noise that is said to be the ghost of the actor. It's not, but I won't spoil it for you. My sons were intrigued with the secret passageways and caves and boats and other things automatically charming to children. There were at least two possible culprits for the crime they uncovered, so at least ther ...more
Kristine Hansen
First of all let's establish this single important fact:

Every author should live in a castle on the coast of Maine. I mean a HAUNTED castle on the coast of Maine. Just saying.

I really wanted to like this book more, but the ending fell apart a bit - too much coincidence, a little far-fetched. Just not as good as it could be. Still it was a fun read. It's a good series.

Can I have my castle now?
Shea Walk
Jul 15, 2010 Shea Walk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because Ron Roy was very descriptive in his writing and illustrations. The setting was great being out in a castle on the beach to visit Wallis Wallice during their summer break. The problems the characters solve are exciting and keep you interested. The twist at the end was really interesting. It was a good summer book because Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose were on summer break, just like me.

By,
Shea Walk age 9
J.M. Rinker
I read this so I could help my 9 year old with his book report. It's constructed well enough but I tried to put myself in my son's perspective--and even my own 9 year old self--and it's just not that engaging of a story. When I was his age I was on to larger novels like Charlotte's Web and Bridge to Terabithia, both of which have much deeper themes. Makes me wonder how to bridge my son from these simplistic, shallow stories to those with more substance when his reading level is lower.
Talia
Wallis Wallace, Dink’s favorite author, invites him, Josh, and Ruth Rose to spend the weekend at her creepy old house, which has its own real ghost! When the kids find a secret dungeon underneath the house, they start to think that maybe something else is haunting the house other than a ghost.

This story was actually pretty boring. Plus, what parent would let their kid stay overnight at some author’s house???
Jade Nichole
"The Deadly Dungeon" is one adventurous mystery. Three kids visit a famous writer, who has been experiencing some screams in his castle. He thinks it's a ghost but the kids think differently. Their experience there now turns into a mystery. In the end they find out the real cause of the screaming and everything returns back to normal. I recommend this to any mystery lovers, but I do not recommend this to anyone that prefers challenging reads because this is a very easy, short book.
Shashvat
Dec 29, 2015 Shashvat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose are invited to famous writer, Wallis Willis's house. But when they get there, they always hear a screaming voice in the house and they find green feathers all over the place! Then the find a trap door and a huge tunnel. When they went in, they saw what made the noise. It was something not so spooky-parrots!!! I really like this book for the ongoing suspense and the twist end.
Lianna Navasardyan
Ruth Rose,Dink,Jose went to a sleepover in a castle in Dinks favorite writers house.when the 3 kids got there they heard screams behind the walls.Wallis says that every castle is haunted but dink is not very sure about that.I would recommend this book to people who like mysteries .Read the book to find out if the kids would be able to find who or what is haunting the Moose Manor?
Katy
Jul 11, 2016 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my Summer Reading challenge for next year's class.

Our three kid sleuths visit the haunted castle owned by their favorite author. While there, they wonder why it is haunted and set off discover why.

I think these are cute mysteries that could help a reluctant reader become interested in mysteries.
Angela Hutchinson
In this book, Dink, Ruth Rose, and Joey are on a mission to find a link with the green feathers that they have been finding lying around. This group is staying with a friend in Maine, who just so happened to be a mystery writer who lived in a supposedly haunted castle. I would recommend this book to students who like adventures and mysteries.
Marlee
Jan 30, 2014 Marlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun for my children, ages 9 and 6. It was even easier to figure out than the others. It was short and easy to read. My son was a little disappointed that we didn't learn about the kittens from the last book. For an adult, this series would be quite dull. However, this has so far been a great series for young children.
Emily
Jun 06, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
Dink, Ruth Rose, and their friend Josh explore a haunted castle by the sea. My child kept saying, "When are they going into the Deadly Dungeon?" which was a reasonable criticism, in terms of authorial promises made.
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • Nate the Great San Francisco Detective
  • Yikes Bikes! (Ready, Freddy!, #7)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)

“mud room,” 0 likes
“Dink pulled the feathers from his pocket. He held them next to one of the parrots.” 0 likes