Start by marking “How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour” as Want to Read:
How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour

How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Helps people read the Bible as a whole; and even when the whole is narrowed to whole books, helps readers to see how each book fits into the grand Story of the Bible.
Published March 18th 2002 by Zondervan (first published March 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read the Bible Book by Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read the Bible Book by Book

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisInstitutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols by Jean CalvinOrthodoxy by G.K. ChestertonKnowing God by J.I. Packer
Top 25 Christian Thinkers
113th out of 180 books — 82 voters
How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon D. FeeKnowing Scripture by R.C. SproulSecrets of the Dry Bones by Susan RohrerThe Goldsworthy Trilogy by Graeme GoldsworthyGospel-Centered Hermeneutics by Graeme Goldsworthy
Recommended Biblical Interpretation Books
16th out of 18 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan Boyer
Fee and Stuart's follow up to their first book, How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth, is designed to help people become better readers of Scripture and build upon the process that is laid out in the first book. It provides overviews of each book, background information, etc.

This book is really helpful as a resource tool and guide. For that I would have given it four stars. But, it can become a cheat sheet for those who are learning how to read the Bible. Yes, it is good and valuable to have
The concern of this book is to help you read the Bible as a whole, and even when the "whole" is narrowed to "whole books," it is important for you always to be aware of how each book fits into the larger story.

First, this book is intended to be a companion to How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth. Anyone who has read this book will see that familiar structure of it's guided overviews of the selected biblical books there. Essentially this is an application of the concepts shared in the first
Bryan McWhite
This stands as a desk reference in my study. I use it regularly as a help in devotions (as does my wife). It is simply written and very helpful. Highly recommended to Bible students of any level.
Jeremy Manuel
The point of this book is to help people understand how to read each book of the Bible. This is done by giving the context of the book, some tips or knowledge they think might help with the reading of the book, and then some general summaries of various sections of each book. By using this structure it does a pretty good job of showing how each book is unique, but also at fitting it into the larger narrative of the Bible.

I'll be honest, it isn't the most enjoyable book to read cover to cover. Th
This is a great book for an outline of each book of the Bible and simple commentaries. It's a really great companion if you're beginning to read the Bible--the Lord really used this to help me in understanding the purpose of certain books an to help simplify it in the beginning of my walk.

I've read some reviews where people said it was just a simple commentary or not in depth, but you have to remember the first time you read scriptures you didn't have a complete understanding of historical cont
Jeremy Zilkie
I recommend this book for anyone who plans on reading through the Bible. Fee does a great job giving a thoughtful overview of each section of each book of the Bible. The Bible is so varied in its various genres of literature, numerous authors, varied time periods along with the world events of each period with the Bible is often speaking about.

I read through the Bible, Genesis to Revelation and went section by section with this book, checking the boxes as I completed each section. While I will p
Read this book a long time ago. Anyone who reads the Bible and wants to interpret it the way it should be and preach about it should read this book. It keeps you on the straight and narrow without diverging into several different directions that most Bible preachers and pastors now are prone to do.
Craig Toth
This book is a guide to helping people come to grips with the fact that in order to be able to better understand the Bible, one ought to first learn something about the social, historical, and literary contexts of the writings therein. Otherwise, the reader’s worldview and life experiences act as final judge concerning what “the Bible says.” The most obvious sign of this error is the common practice of picking and choosing scripture verses (typically, out of context!) to back up preexisting beli ...more
Aaron Shamp
Great resource for anyone. You can use it for personal study or for preparation to lead a study.
This book ws recommended for a "Reading the Bible in a year". It was a good supportive reference for getting through the mysteries of the Bible although it is no subsitiution for a good Bible study; hence the difference between reading the Bible and studying the Bible. I was grateful for this reference to help me through some of the books however it is rather general in describing what the Bible is communicating rather detailed which I get in a detailed study of the Bible. I do recommend it for ...more
Mar 20, 2014 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A good tool to have in one's toolbox for understanding the bible
A very useful tool that gives you a comprehensive snapshot of every book of the bible.
Wish I had the physical book to thumb through :-(
Jonathan Huggins
highly recommended to use alongside your bible.
Marlon Myburgh
Exactly what I needed. I love the “Orienting Data,” “Overview,” “Specific Advice” and "Walkthrough" format. I really appreciate Fee and Stuart's works, they get to the point immediately and you don't need to spend needless time reading through pages and pages of unnecessary information.

This is an invaluable resource to add to anyone's research library and I would recommend it to anyone.

I finally made it through this book... and consequently, the Bible!! Only took me several years, but I got there! hehe

I loved having this little companion to sometimes shed light on things I didn't understand and to provide background information and context to stories I'd heard before. It actually also helped keep me motivated during more difficult (boring) passages to read as I knew that at the end of the passage I'd be able to tick off a little box.
Mary A
I read this book alongside my Bible as I was reading through the Bible for the first time. I found it helpful particularly while reading the prophets, which I was completely unfamiliar with. If you have little or no background in Biblical history, then I would recommend this book to help interpret historical circumstances in the Bible.
While there is a lot of good information in this book, I found it a little dry and sometimes difficult to follow. It does, however, give a good, basic overview of the Bible.
After having been thrilled with How to 1, I had a lot higher expectations of this book. I would have gone 3 stars, but admittedly, I didn't read the corresponding Biblical books as a companion as I went along. I will definitely consult it as a preaching/teaching resource though.
This book is a great one to keep right next to your Bible. It helps you to understand the different genres of the books of the Bible and enriches your reading of specific passages. It's also a follow-up to How to Read the Bible for All its Worth by the same authors.
Corey Doise
This is a great resource for any serious Bible reader. It provides great context to what you are reading, which is key when reading any ancient manuscript. I do not read the Bible without this resource by my side.
Adam Wilson
A nice follow-up to "All Its Worth." Essentially a brief synopsis and outline of every book of the Bible. Great for someone who has never read it through and doesn't know how to start.
This is a great step-by-step guide to reading each book in the Bible in chronological order including how to read the books (in context) and the author's purpose.
Feb 07, 2013 Christina marked it as to-read
TCC Santa Cruz recommends this. Here is a link to the plan:
Tylor Lovins
It's pretty simplistic. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. A study bible would have more commentary than this thing would. Do not buy!
Jim Haw
This is a trust-worthy resource that provides the background information needed to engage every book of the Bible.
I know this isn't supposed to be a commentary, but it seems like they don't give quite enough information.
Angie Giancola
A good, basic summary of each book of the Bible. Helpful introduction to each segment of each book.
Jacob Aitken
A good layman's manual for bible study. Occasionally the "smarmy" style will be off-putting.
Marion Hill
An excellent guide how to read the Bible. A must for every Christian's library.
This is a fantastic overview and a straightforward introduction to the bible.
  • Knowing Scripture
  • The Hermeneutical Spiral: A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • The Theology of the Book of Revelation
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • Rick Warren’s Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word
  • The Letter of James
  • Mark for Everyone
  • Holy Bible: TNIV - Today's New International Version, Thinline Bible
  • Dictionary of Biblical Imagery
  • The Story of Christianity: The Early Church to the Present Day
  • A Biblical History of Israel
  • What Saint Paul Really Said: Was Paul of Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity?
Gordon Fee is Professor Emeritus of New Testament at Regent College, where he taught for sixteen years. His teaching experience also includes serving schools in Washington, California, Kentucky, as well as Wheaton College in Illinois (five years) and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts (twelve years).

Gordon Fee is a noted New Testament scholar, having published several books and
More about Gordon D. Fee...

“The genius of the biblical story is what it tells us about God himself: a God who sacrifices himself in death out of love for his enemies; a God who would rather experience the death we deserved than to be apart from the people he created for his pleasure; a God who himself bore our likeness, experienced our creatureliness, and carried our sins so that he might provide pardon and reconciliation; a God who would not let us go, but who would pursue us—all of us, even the worst of us—so that he might restore us into joyful fellowship with himself; a God who in Christ Jesus has so forever identified with his beloved creatures that he came to be known and praised as “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Pet 1:3).” 0 likes
“The book of Jeremiah is a constant reminder of God’s faithfulness to his word in Deuteronomy that his elect will be cursed by exile for their unfaithfulness to Yahweh but will be restored at a later time with the hope of a new covenant—which was fulfilled through Jesus Christ, David’s “righteous Branch” (Jer 23:5).” 0 likes