The Princess Plot

The Princess Plot (Scandia #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,654 ratings  ·  225 reviews
A movie about a princess is to be made. When auditions take place, Jenna is astounded to be chosen over her more talented friends. Curiously, even her strict mother gives her permission for Jenna to fly off to begin filming in the small, romantic kingdom of Scandia. Soon Jenna discovers things aren't what they seem.
Published February 1st 2009 by Chicken House (first published May 1st 2005)

Denise
This is a fun book. Lots of action, suspense and intrigue. I've tried to get some of the kids to read it at school but I think they were put off by the pink cover. I was afraid it would be just a 'girly' book and I wasn't really in the mood for one but wanted to read it so I could booktalk it when school starts again. I was really surprised at how much fun it was. It isn't a 'girly' book at all. I hope they change the cover because both girls and guys would like this book.
Michele
My first comment about this book is that it is an unusual story. I picked it up for my library at a recent book fair and it has a pretty steady circulation; not hot, but definitely not dusty either. Both the book and the blurb are attractive: pink and princessey with a pirate-looking skull; a young girl wins a dream movie role and is catapulted into real danger.

For the most part, I would say that the story lives up to this expectation, especially if that expectation is from young dreamy-eyed gi...more
Miss Clark
Mariam AlNasser
I've had this book on my bookshelf for years, and since I recently picked up its sequel, I though it was about rime for me to read it. The first thing I noticed straight away is that it's for a younger age group. Not middle grade. The awkward age in between. The age where people would actually use omg and bff in real life. So that kinda put me off, but I continued reading. Some parts are a little bit predictable, but some parts weren't. This may have started like a 'omg-im-so-cool' pre-teen stor...more
Jessikah
3 stars..ish...
The cover of this book was too delicious to pass up. Yummy pink with sparkles and a skull and cross bones to make it look bad ass, and though the cover is delicious like a cotton candy cupcake at Crumbs, the book is just ok like a smaller vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting... which many people like because its comfortable. Much like this book.

The story goes that Jenna, daughter of an over protective mother who is an etiquette teacher for a living (really, does anyone actually d...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Jenna and her friend get invited to audition for a movie about a princess. Little does Jenna know, it's not actually for a movie.

Without telling her overprotective mother, she auditions. She makes it to the final round, not believing that she's been singled out and chosen above all the other girls in her town.

But instead of filming a movie, they take her out of the country to fill in for a real princess during her salute to the crowd during her bir...more
Mar 09, 2010 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 5-8
Recommended to Sarah by: 5/6 list
Jenna is tired of her mother always being so overprotective, so when the chance comes along for her to audition for a part in a movie, she decides to go for it without telling her. All of Jenna’s friends are auditioning; why shouldn’t she?

The movie people tell her that the role for which they are casting is the part of a princess. Jenna doesn’t think that she’s very princess-like, so she can’t believe it when they tell her that she got the part! She can’t believe that they didn’t even have her...more
Melissa
Super fun book! Listened to most of it on a play-a-way on our trecherous road trip over Thanksgiving (10 hours in a snow storm to get to 5 hours away location--and that was only part way to our goal). The play-a-way died on chapter 22 leaving a van full of very disappointed listeners. Once I checked out the library book, the 14 yr. old boy and two 11 year old boys fought over who got to finish the book first!

Even though the main character is girl and the cover is pink--this book is full of adve...more
Noelle H
This was a great book. It definitely kept me guessing. It was as longer book, so it had more details in it. It was fun to read. During the ending of the book, I couldn’t stop reading it. I usually don’t read during the weekends, but I couldn’t help myself. I didn’t know what was going to happen. It’s one of those books where when the character is confused and doesn’t know much, you’re confused and you don’t know much. In the middle of the book a lot is revealed, but it’s only until the ending of...more
Janell
I tried to have a good attitude about this book. But for the most part, it was extremely predicable and the characters were ridiculous. I understand that it's for junior fiction, but even younger kids are going to see the transparency of what was going on. And then there were random phrases and words mixed in that young kids would NOT understand. So it really didn't work much for me.
Chazzi
Movie people have come to town and are holding an audition for the starring role in a new movie! Jenna's BF Bea is trying out and gets Jenna to tag along and try out too. Jenna's over protective mom won't know as she will be at work. Jenna figures why not, as she won't win the role since she is not tall, thin, blonde and blue eyed. But that is not how it goes.

Jenna finds herself whisked off to a romantic and distant kingdom to star as a princess in a movie! But it turns out that she is a stand-i...more
Fashiongirlgoldberg
This book was really kind of weird. It had the whole princess and the pauper thing, but weirder. Maybe the whole book felt so weird because it was originally written in Polish or something. It felt really old fashioned, but eveyrone had cellphones. weird? Oh yeah.
Aisha
The title is apt, but the cover art and the synopsis/blurbs provided are very misleading -

this was surprisingly more well-written than I was expecting (I was expecting something much lighter/fluffier).

I like it. While the protagonist may not have been the brightest ... even a doormat at times - I like the subplots and the issue of racism, and how it was broached and explained, all the subtleties of the media and the slow spreading of propaganda, and the realities of different sides. It was also...more
Faith Campos
GOOD READS ASSIGNMENT
FAITH CAMPOS
“THE PRINCESS PLOT”

The title of the book is “The Princess Plot,” and this book was written by Kirsten Boie. The genre of the book is fiction and has some mystery to it.
The main character of the book is named Jenna. She’s just a normal girl or so she thinks. Jenna was asked to play the role of a princess in a play and all of a sudden she’s taken to a real kingdom for the “shoot.” The first thing she realizes is that she’s a total resemblance of the real princess...more
Bridget
It was a streach for everything to stick together, but overall a great story. BTW, don't let the cover full you! :)
Oliviafeldman
best book ever! Must read
Pixie Ramsey
The book was about a girl named Jenna. One day Jenna goes to an audition to become a movie star. She gets picked and goes to a different country. Jenna has to impersonate the princess. She gets in trouble and gets kidnapped. Then she goes on a long quest to find the lost king.
I liked that the story was long and interesting. My favorite part was when Jenna gets kidnapped by the rebels. And they take her into the forest. There, Jenna begins to like the rebels and does not even try to run back t...more
Keri
I picked The Princess Plot up at a local thrift store because the cover caught my attention. The plot sounded cute so I thought I would give it a try.

The Princess Plot is about a girl named Jenna who is given the opportunity of a lifetime when chosen to star in a movie about a teen princess. Little does she know, she is a part in a much larger plot in a country divided by civil war.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While it started like a book for young girls, the plot became deeper with twists at...more
Betsy
Jenna has never really been allowed to have fun because her mother was always very protective of her. She also never told Jenna much about her family. But one day, Jenna decides to defy her mother and goes on a casting call for a chance to be in a movie. Out of tons of girls in town, and much to her surprise, Jenna is picked and whisked off to the country of Scandia before she has a chance to tell anyone her good luck.

But things start to get weird when Jenna is asked to dress up and pretend to b...more
Lauren
Man, German’s children’s book are a head trip. Over the years, I’ve read a handful of children’s books originally published in German and translated into English, and all of them are much darker and more sinister than their English counterparts. Oh, and on that note: This may be the worst title and cover design ever for a book that’s pretty dark and sinister in its own right. A bright-pink cover with a whimsical name like The Princess Plot may sound like bubblegum fiction – and this book may hav...more
Inga
Rezension zum Hörspiel:

Der etwa 400 Seiten starke Jugendroman von Kirsten Boie wird hier kompakt in Form eines Hörspiels erzählt. Jarven wird bei einem Pseudofilmcasting dazu "ausgewählt", die Prinzessin Malena von Skogland zu doublen, die nach dem Tod ihres Vaters plötzlich verschwunden ist, von ihrem Onkel, dem Vizekönig, aber dafür gebraucht wird, ein Gesetz zu verabschieden, dass die Bewohner eines Landesteils unterdrücken soll. Natürlich lässt sich Jarven nicht lange täuschen und findet nac...more
Aaron
This German import, translated by David Henry Wilson, takes readers on surprising twists and turns. It starts of when Jenna and her best friend Bea decide to audition for a movie after seeing an announcement for the tryouts. She know that her mother wouldn't want her to do it because it is not the proper thing, but Bea talks Jenna into going anyway.

When they arrive, they learn that they are trying out for the role of a princess in a story. Jenna is surprised to find herself chosen as the leading...more
Zoe Nightshade
It starts off as an innocent project of a family tree to being a "role in a movie" that leads to uncovering her true family.

In Scandia, the princess goes missing. They go on a search for the princess's look alike cousin by hosting a fake movie casting. Mysteriously,when Jenna shows her face there, the movie casters got all giddy. Not being the perfect girl, Jenna has suspicions on why they picked her, but asks no questions, considering this is chance to get away from her strict, over-protective...more
Ahlorha Brooks
this review was originally posted at a-thousand-ships.blogspot.com

Ships Launched: 773

When I first read this book, I had no idea that it was originally a German bestseller. Yes, I'm a tad ignorant.

In The Princess Plot, a young girl named Jenna wins a starring role in a princess movie against all odds, but mysterious things begin to happen when she arrives at the filming location in the foreign country of Scandia.

Boie did a great job with creating the country of Scandia. Every country has its pro...more
Isabel
When the 14 year old Jenna auditions for a movie, she is really happy to win, nit knowing what will happen.
This book has many aspects, in my point of view, the one that most describes this book is dramatic. If I could only use one work to describe this book it would be dramatic, there is just a lot of drama action in this book.
This book is also really symbolic. It helps you value what you have while you have it. I think this because, at one point, Jenna is a normal happy girl with a normal happy...more
Erickold
Conozcamos el lado misterioso en una historia de princesas. Bueno, que al menos tiene que ver con una princesa. Decir que Jarven lo es está más fuera de la realidad que cualquier cosa. La aburrida Jarven, con una madre que no le permite hacer nada y sus ganas de salir a pasear. Si esto fuera un cuento, estaríamos todos sorprendidos.
¿Cómo hacer crecer una mentira? Intentando decir nada. Y es así porque aquí lo que no se dice se demuestra.
Esta historia, aventura más bien, está basada en una ment...more
Sydney
This book was okay, but overall not really worth your time or money. I purchased this book from a Book Fair and read it several years ago and I had been totally excited about it because of the websites Book Trailer. This trailer promised a super exciting, action packed plot filled with suspense and glamor, and while it provided some of that it was definitely overall duller than I had been expecting.
Yes I know that my distaste for this novel may be affected by several factors. For example, that...more
Emma Xoxo
I loved this book. It was super boring in the beginning... and very confusing since it switched scenes like every five paragraphs. Then when it became interesting, I actually looked forward to it switching scenes! It actually helped the book. My point of view: When Jenna gets the role of a princess in a new motion picture, she thinks it can't be true. Boy, was she right. When she arrives in Scandia (in a weird 6 seater jet) she is escorted to royalty, and a princess-y room. Since the princess is...more
Gwen the Librarian
This is a great choice for young teens who are still into princesses but maybe not fantasy.

Jenna's mom is way over-protective and Jenna never gets to do anything. When some movie producers come to town to audition girls for the part of a princess, Jenna sneaks away and doesn't tell her mom. She's thrilled when she gets the part, but that's when things turn a little weird. Like, the producers whisk her away on a private jet to Scandia, without even letting her talk to her mom.

Meanwhile, in Scand...more
Jennie
I liked this book. There were a few twists, though most of them weren't too hard to figure out. I liked the characters. I was thinking that it would have more of a Princess Diaries feel, but it didn't at all. I think the one thing that I found confusing was that I wasn't really sure where it was set. The author is German, or at least the book is a translation, so half the names I'm pronouncing German (Malena, Margareta) while others like Jenna and Jonas don't sound that German and Scandia is...s...more
The plot of the book 5 31 Nov 11, 2011 01:01AM
  • A Farewell to Charms (Princess for Hire, #3)
  • Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1)
  • Princess of Gossip
  • To Catch a Prince: To Catch a Prince & The Frog Prince
  • Radio Fifth Grade
  • Falling
  • Change of a Dress (Cinderella Cleaners, #1)
  • Forget Me Not (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #4)
  • A Non-Blonde Cheerleader in Love (Cheerleader Trilogy, #3)
  • Wings: A Fairy Tale (Fairy Wings #1)
  • Reel Life Starring Us
  • Talent (Talent, #1)
  • The Secret Identity of Devon Delaney (Devon Delaney, #1)
  • Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa (Candy Apple #13)
  • Rule of Three
  • Movers and Fakers (Alphas, #2)
  • Take Two  (My Sister the Vampire, #5)
  • I So Don't Do Mysteries
Kirsten Boie was born in Hamburg in 1950. She studied German and English literature and wrote a doctoral thesis on a topic in the field of literary research. She worked as a secondary school teacher in Hamburg from 1978 until 1983. When she adopted a child she had to stop teaching and began to write. Her first book "Paule ist ein Glücksgriff" (1985) was very well received and won several awards.

Si...more
More about Kirsten Boie...
The Princess Trap (Scandia, #2) Alhambra Der Kleine Ritter Trenk Wir Kinder aus dem Möwenweg Nicht Chicago. Nicht hier.

“Yeah right. I'll believe you, thousands wouldn't. Want to borrow my mirror?” 4 likes
“i love the book called the princess plot and its a good book because its about how its mysterys from other peeps...” 1 likes