Start by marking “The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)

The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! #1)

Far away in the land of Kakhabad, chaos is brewing... The evil Archimage has stolen the precious Crown of Kings, intending to use its power to further his tyrannous ends. In this first book of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series, you embark on a quest in the turmoil of Kakhabad, progressing through four books in order to achieve your ultimate goal - the Crown of Kings. Your fi ...more
Paperback
Published July 1984 by Puffin Books (first published October 27th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Shamutanti Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shamutanti Hills

Alicia
Sep 04, 2008 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember thinking these books were just so darn cool when I was growing up - I had purchased the second and third off the shelf on a whim from a used bookstore. I sold them and regretted the decision almost instantly, so I was excited to be able to request the first book in the series through our library's new Outerlibrary Loan service.

I "played" a full game through and remembered why I liked the books more as a concept than in practice: I'm terrible! I always get the plague or run over by a b
ALT-RIGHT
Jun 20, 2017 ALT-RIGHT rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gamebooks
There was an old man in a tree
Whose plight was distressing to see;
For the Elvins who stowed
Him up over the road
Couldn't find their remarkable key.

If the Minimite friends you, beware.
He won't go, you'll be filled with despair.
Maybe helping the Svinns
Could relieve you of him?
Or Black Lotuses, fouling the air?
Stuart
Aug 04, 2013 Stuart rated it really liked it
This was an innovative combo of choose your own adventure and RPGs in a cohesive fantasy series. Really loved it as a kid, to the point of contorting my body to roll dice on the floor of the plane in economy on my my way to Wisconsin for Christmas one year. Good fun!
Weathervane
May 04, 2017 Weathervane rated it really liked it
Round up all minimites and ship them to camps, it's the only way. Avoid Jan and the game becomes much easier.

I also thought very unamusing Mr. Jackson's fondness for fake magic codes only one letter off from the real configurations. I did not submit to the rules in these cases. You can't make me attempt to memorize 20+ spells and then pretend it's fair to place as a choice YAB instead of YOB. Memorization is fine as a game element, but the challenge should be in remembering what each spell does,
Nicolas Ronvel
Un petit coup de nostalgie avec la lecture de ce premier tome de la série Sorcellerie !

J'ai joué le jeu de la mémorisation des sorts, et m'en suis pas trop mal sorti. J'ai (bien sûr) triché sur les combats aux dés, et je ne me suis raté qu'une seule fois (satané champ de lotus).

Au niveau de l'histoire, c'est assez plaisant car on avance bien, le monde est assez intéressant, et il n'y a pas de gros blocages ni de labyrinthes de remplissage.
Michael Kelly
May 03, 2015 Michael Kelly rated it it was amazing
I remember finding this first volume of the fopur part 'Sorcery!' series on the shelf of a small local bookshop more than two decades ago. It was in a cardboard slipcase together with the 'Sorcery! Spell Book'. This was the big twist, this gamebook series allowed the reader to play as a sorcerer. The snag was that the spells had to be memorised from the book, and each had a cost to cast. It added a whole new dimension.

Wizardry wasn't the only innovation with this series. Penned by Steve Jackson,
R.M.F Brown
Dec 05, 2014 R.M.F Brown rated it really liked it
Car boot sales have been much maligned over the years for the criminal elements running them, and the cheap and shoddy goods they churn out.

Occasionally, though, amongst the scuttles of coal, a gem emerges.

Tattered and dog eared, and a snip at 10 pence, this was my first foray into the Sorcery series.

Being a fan of the fighting fantasy books, I was aware of Sorcery as an advanced version of the game, a position that initially made me nervous at the difficulty.

Fear not, though. With two dice
LemmiSchmoeker
Jun 19, 2016 LemmiSchmoeker rated it really liked it
This is a nice diversion from the standard Fighting Fantasy scheme, in which the player has to memorise three-letter codes for magic spells and is then asked which of them he knows: but there are nonsense codes mixed in that lead to certain doom. For instance: “Will you cast a spell: SUS, HUF, DIP, FOF, SUD” where DIP and SUD don't exist, and HUF cannot be cast in the present situation. This creates a strangely effective atmosphere, as the player learns more spells and becomes more confident in ...more
Dies Irae
May 16, 2013 Dies Irae rated it liked it
Shelves: gamebook
Capitolo introduttivo breve e piuttosto semplice. Raro riscontrare particolari problemi, ad eccezione del segmento con i cacciatori di teste e dell'impennata di difficoltà finale dovuta alla manticora con annesso piccolo labirinto; perfetto esempio dei rigidi vincoli jacksoniani. Ambientazione nella media, arricchita dalla presenza di diversi villaggi ben caratterizzati. Bestiario sottotono. Gameplay ottimo, a patto di affrontare l'avventura nei panni del mago. Ho giocato con le seguenti stats:
Olivier Delaye
Jan 05, 2014 Olivier Delaye rated it really liked it
The first of a series of 4 gamebooks called Sorcery!, and by far the best in the genre. Great magic system with 48 different spells at your disposal. Great plot and subplots, good writing, pretty hard to finish but that's also part of the fun!

OLIVIER DELAYE
Author of the SEBASTEN OF ATLANTIS series
The Forgotten Goddess (Sebasten of Atlantis, #1) by Olivier Delaye
Nicola
Feb 20, 2016 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The shortest and least challenging of the 4 Sorcery books but still very entertaining. I haven't played any of these games for so many years I'd almost forgotten how enjoyable they are, a perfect change for when my brain gets too overwhelmed with French and Japanese learning.

I went through this 4 times, picking different ways each time and I'm sure I've figured out the 'best' path. Excellent fun :-)
Paul Gibbons
Jan 28, 2013 Paul Gibbons rated it really liked it
Great spell system. I love it. Defiantly a step up from early fighting fantasy. I like the way you have to struggle to remember the spells much like a wizard should lol. Remembering what ingredient works with which spell as well. If you like the idea of been a wandering wizard with spells for every situation then this is highly recommended.
Dr Zoule
Aug 04, 2009 Dr Zoule added it
Shelves: milestones
I remember being offered a tattered old copy of this oddity by a troubled kid at school. I remember voraciously reading it from cover to cover, again and again, year after year. I remember reading it lying on my stomach in a hotel room in Singapore. I remember having goose bumps from the air conditioning and the wickedness of Alianna.
Chris Baker
Jun 10, 2015 Chris Baker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Read it in the app recently, which is really nicely done. Well worth a look. Story is definitely adventure for younger readers, but very much a classic text-based adverture. Translates well into a game.
Caleb M.
May 22, 2016 Caleb M. rated it really liked it
read/played this on google play. enjoyed it a lot. the story was surprisingly well done. I didn't expect a whole lot from a choose your own adventure book from the 80's but it was well worth the read and my time. I will get back to the others at some point.
Bernard O'Leary
May 20, 2015 Bernard O'Leary rated it really liked it
Notslagia
James Oliver
Oct 10, 2016 James Oliver rated it really liked it
Shelves: final-fantasy
Short enjoyable adventure from childhood very easy, it's not too improbable that you can die in selecting your choices it contains items which can be used in the later books in the series
Andy
Oct 26, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
Curios as to what this is like now to my aged self, with respect to how much i enjoyed the quadrilogy when they first came out. The application you can download is very good.
Darren
Jan 19, 2017 Darren rated it it was amazing
Read this series as a teenager, loved the fighting fantasy series. Happy memories.
Phil Nicolle
Jul 28, 2013 Phil Nicolle rated it really liked it
Better than i remember from when i read this as a kid!
Akkarin
Akkarin rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Chris Lewis
Chris Lewis rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2011
Damian May
Damian May rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Mélodie Benoit-Lamarre
Mélodie Benoit-Lamarre rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Ignacio
Ignacio rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Daren
Daren rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Ryan Pascall
Ryan Pascall rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Maxwell
Maxwell rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2009
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • The Chasm Of Doom (Lone Wolf, #4)
  • Demons of the Deep (Fighting Fantasy, #19)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)
  • Sword of the Samurai (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #25)

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.

More about Steve Jackson...

Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! (4 books)
  • Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! #2)
  • The Seven Serpents (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #3)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)