Start by marking “Monster” as Want to Read:
Monster

Monster

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  40 reviews
On February 13, 1982, 21-year-old Mary Brown's battered, bloodied body was treated by emergency room doctors who couldn't believe a human being had inflicted such massive traumatic injuries. Mary would miraculously survive her hellish encounter with the vicious predator whose rape and beating all but killed her.
Published October 5th 1999 by Pinnacle (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster

A.J. Aalto
Absolutely fascinating peek into not only the mind of serial killer Tom Luther, but the rationalizations and denials used by his friends, family, and (most troubling) his girlfriend, Deb Snider. Intense to watch the case unfold from multiple points of view, heavy on the detectives obsessed with getting Luther off the streets & behind bars where he belongs. Not a forensics-heavy book. Jackson's writing is taut and unassuming, rightfully letting the details take center stage. Recommended 18+ w ...more
Lynda Kelly
This was VERY well researched indeed and I enjoyed it a great deal, though some silly mistakes cost it one star for me. Especially as the author's revisited it some years after original publication and I'd have hoped others may have spotted them and passed them on to correct. Most were words dropped from sentences like of/as/a/to and some spelling mistakes-like Gacey and not Gacy, accent and not accentuate, chargrined and not chagrinned, giris and not girls, occassion not occasion, imporant not ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Catten
Steve Jackson's research for his book Monster must have been exhausting. He describes events spanning from 1982 to 1998 in convincing detail. The subject of this book is Thomas Luther, a complicated and sociopathic man who raped, assaulted, and sometimes killed a series of women between Colorado and West Virginia.

Of course, the book jacket uses "includes 12 pages of shocking photos!" as a selling point. I nearly put it back on the shelf; I hate that. (Were the photos shocking? Nah.) I doubt that
Sandy
Very well written. Jackson brings the main victim alive. I found myself missing the life Cher should have had. But Luther had so many victims. His girlfriend, Snyder was the main victim I had a problem with. I kept wondering what was wrong with the husband she had. My heart really went out to him. I just really wanted to slap some sense into her. But it's always easy to tell others how to behave when you're on the outside looking in. I really would have been happier with a death penalty ending. ...more
Melissa
This book had me drawn in from beginning to end. When I started, I hadn't known about Tom Luther but as I read on I started to remember seeing the episode of Unsolved Mysteries about Bobby jo and Annette when I was younger. Jackson did an amazing job of bringing the emotion of everyone involved with Luther to life. I didn't give it 5 stars because there were some parts that were a bit repetitive but otherwise I loved it!!
Roger
Fascinating true crime story about serial killer Thomas Luther who operated in Colorado & West Virginia. A must read for true crime addicts.
JC Mulligan
Jackson style makes you feel that you know what was really going on the characters. There is a lot of detail but never felt boring.
Danielle
This is the best true crime book I've read in a long time. This guy really is a monster, a woman's worst enemy. This is what happens when the justice system is too lenient and sets free men who have no conscience, who have nothing but hate and contempt for women. It took a while for me to get through it, but only because of personal issues. This man belongs in jail, and that's where he is now. He has practically no chance of ever getting out. Thank God for that! This man attacked women for no re ...more
Stina Smith
Absolutely enthralling from start to finish. I'd never heard of Tom Luther but the byline which described him as charming and as deadly as Bundy got me interested. I'd read Ann Rule's "The Stranger Beside Me" directly before this though Ted Bundy was far more widely known internationally and I'd always known about him, but not some of the other monsters out there just as deadly.

I have to say Luther's entire account of the disappearance and subsequent murder of Cher Elder seriously was unbelievab
K.A. Krisko
Nov 07, 2013 K.A. Krisko rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime fans, Colorado natives
This is very well done, extremely complete, exhaustively researched, and written in a manner that kept me on the edge of my seat. Even though it's true crime, much of it reads like a novel. The author is obviously an accomplished true-crime writer and researcher and I expect I'll read more by him. It was made all the more compelling, for me, by the fact that it happened in places I lived close to the times I lived there. It would have merited 5 stars (in fact, I'd love to give it another half) b ...more
Dee brown
This was interesting; the author had lots of specific information. The crimes were gruesome. The fact that the people involved all knew where Cher's body was, and wouldn't come forward so her parents could bury her, broke my heart.
If you enjoy reading true crime stories, Mr. Jackson is right up there with Anne Rule.
Oh! And this sent shivers down my spine: The killer believes everyone thinks about killing another human being.
Chilling and absurd.
John Ferak
Jackson's book is an absolute must-read for fans of true-crime. It's definitely right up there with another recent favorite of mine, The Darkest Night, by Ron Franscell. While the case is based in Colorado, Jackson's book takes you all across the United States. You can't help but feel like you're in a cabin, on a snow-banked mountain near Breckenridge or standing alongside the team of police officers carrying out another frustrating body search.
paige sisserman
Wow

this is the true story of a real monster. it's so well written, that I was surprised. the research done Is meticulous. all of have seen failures in the justice system, and Mr. Jackson shows us way too many. I suppose, that's the real horror of this book. I totally enjoyed it, and am going to download his other works.
P J Crawford
Makes your heart ache for the victims and their families

Well written, well developed character studies of all concerned. Hard to put down. But hard to sleep at night knowing that monsters like Luther exist in this world -- side by side with the rest of us. Breaks the heart.
Lynda M. Breeze
Excellent

great character development. the author makes u part of the investigation. it examines the good and the bad of people involved as well as our justice system. the one book that truly offers the closest look at the disorders that create the serial killer.
R_
I know this type of book isn't everyone's cup of tea. The story is a stark reminder that there are indeed individuals out there who can truly be described as "monsters". Even when they are caught, their behavior seems beyond the ability of our system of criminal justice to handle. May you never cross paths with one of them. In this story, the cast of characters (bad guys, police, victims) is rather large. This author has the ability, however, to tell their stories in such a way that the reader r ...more
Robyn
The title of the book could not be any more a fitting name for Thomas Luther. This is very well written and found myself easily wrapped in the story. I found it disappointing more charges were not laid against him. Very well done Steve.
April Meyer
Intriguing

this book seemed to be thoroughly investigated. At times it seemed to reintegrate to often. I believe that this was a difficult book to write, due to the nature of the crimes.
Sandi Whinney
Well written. Tragic story...

Well written. Tragic story...

I will be reading this again, so it has to be good for me to read something more than once.
kelly kress
Well written

easy to stay engaged. gives a disturbing view of a serial killer. worth buying. won't look at ski slopes same way again when I'm up there.
Tabitha Rohm
OMG

You will not regret reading this book. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. You never knew what was going to happen next.
Kathi
Being from Colorado I was riveted. Crazy the things he did and got away with for so long. Disturbing but a good read if you like true crime books.
Aljan
I really enjoyed this author's style. It stepped away from the true crime "just the facts" mold in several places and read at times, like a novel. Not only the story of a monster of a man, the women that were unfortunate enough to find themselves in his path, a woman that for a reason unknown to me loves him, the liars and crapheads that protected him and at least one dedicated cop, it also lays out failings in the investigation and justice fields that allowed a hideous man to hone his skills an ...more
Alicia
This was my first real venture into true crime. I'm not sure I should return. Don't get me wrong, it was engrossing. But, it made me terribly sad. And mad. And a bit more scared than I used to be.
Joann
Not my normal book but this true story about a serial murderer was so good that I couldn't stop reading!!
David Winn
Reading a lot of true crime and this was a fascinating book - long read though.
Rebamom7
I was mesmerized by this book. This author writes from the heart, soul and core. If you like true crime books, you will love it. I will definitely look for more books from him!
Gloria
The writing was better on this true crime novel.
Kate
Already read about this crime in another book
  • Trace Evidence: The Search for the I-5 Strangler
  • Spy: The Inside Story of How the FBI's Robert Hanssen Betrayed America
  • The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History
  • One Deadly Night
  • Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer
  • On the Farm
  • Practice to Deceive (The Golden Chronicles, #1)
  • Once Upon a Time: A True Tale of Memory
  • Hell Above Earth: The Incredible True Story of an American WWII Bomber Commander and the Copilot Ordered to Kill Him
  • Lost Girls
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Evil Beside Her
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew Shepard
  • Fast and Furious: Barack Obama's Bloodiest Scandal and Its Shameless Cover-Up
  • Scream at the Sky: Five Texas Murders and One Man's Crusade for Justice
  • Darker than Night: The True Story of a Brutal Double Homicide and an 18-Year-Long Quest for Justice
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
True Crime/Forensics

Best-selling and award-winning author and journalist Steve Jackson lives and works in the mountains of Colorado. Born in Bethesda Naval Hospital in 1955, he grew up in Hawaii and Colorado. He graduated in 1979 from Colorado State University with a BA in Journalism.

A newspaper journalist for 25 years, he worked in locales as varied as Montana, Hawaii, Guam, Micronesia, Indonesi
More about Steve Jackson...
No Stone Unturned: The True Story of the World's Premier Forensic Investigators Bogeyman - He Was Every Parent's Nightmare Love Me To Death Partners In Evil: The Shocking True Story of a Fantasy Turned Deadly Rough Trade