Greek Myths

Greek Myths

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published March 15th 2007 by Coolidge Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Greek Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greek Myths

Connor
Throughout your years in school no matter the grade references to Greek Mythology are always made. If you are like me and you enjoyed learning about the myths than "Greek Myths" by Olivia Coolidge is the book for you. This book has short stories of all the popular gods and the minor gods you may have never known existed. This book is great for the type of reader who cannot get involved in a long drawn book. Since the book has many stories it is easy to pick up and put down without forgetting wha...more
Yongjia

Greek myths is a good book to read. I like this book because I like myths stories. Before I read this book, I once watched a cartoon which called Greek myths. But this is the first time that I read a book about Greek myths. Greek myths is a classic originals. Worship and sacrifice to god is a very important part of life in ancient Greece. This is one of the reasons I like it.

The English language in this book is not very difficult and there are many short stories in this book, it’s easy to read i...more
Becky
I have always liked Greek Myths so Of course I loved this book
C.
Summer garage sales yield worthy finds. Dating back to 1949, “Hercules & Other Tales From Greek Myths” was the first 'Scholastic Book' by Olivia E. Coolidge, only recently deceased at 90. It is proven again and again that writers live long! She specialized in summarizing history for children, successfully educating them in subjects swept under the carpet.

In one night, Olivia's brevity has me exceedingly more richly-versed in Greek lore than ever before. This isn't to say I find their mytholo...more
Flora Bateman
This was a great introduction to the Greek myths. Its full of short stories about the Greek Gods and heroes that can either be read in succession or pick out your favorites.

Perfect for kids and adults alike, its fun and easy to read and has cool illustrations. It not only has those myths that are widely known such as Hades and Persephone explaining why the seasons change but also lesser known myths such as when Hermes was a baby.

If you love Greek mythology you should pick this one up. This is on...more
Darrel
My first year of school, age five, we learned to read. We were then allowed to visit the school's very small library and choose a book to read. This was the book I chose, and read. This is the book that started me on my life of reading.
Erin
Greek Myths is a great collection of stories of the Greek Gods. This book or parts of the book could be used in the study of ancient Greece to supplement the Social Studies unit. Or if students are doing a genre study this could be used in the broad category of "traditional tales" stories, passed down for generations. Additionally, these stories all teach a lesson or moral so students could create their own modern myth that teachers a simular lesson in current times.
Lindy
Sep 17, 2007 Lindy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Greek mythology dorks
The child in me loved the illustrations that were peppered throughout this book and the adult in me loved the complex stories, emotions, struggles and ideas that are collected here. I adore Greek mythology, and this book had several stories I had already read, but also many new ones. This is a YAF book, so the language is simple and easy to understand and read. I liked the book and would recommend it to my fellow Greek myth dorks.
Anna
I remember reading this back when I was in elementary school. The stories were easy to understand for me and the pictures were marvelous. For me it didn't have enough stories to my liking. I mean the stories are pretty much in order my favorite stories are the ones about the heroes of mythology and it contained a few of those. Either way it is a good book if you'd like to get in to mythology.
Paul Childs
I liked the way this book was written. It was a good fast read that kept the stories interesting. There are lots of the more familiar myths covered (i.e. Theseus, Hercules, Midas and the like), plus a few that I don't remember having read about before (i.e. Phaethon, Arachne, and Tithonus).
Zachary
I loved this book as a child, and wanted to re-read it. There is still something pleasantly simple yet adventuresome in Coolidge's (admittedly watered-down) telling of these ancient stories. It reminded me of many 5th grade days.
Celeste
Jul 17, 2008 Celeste rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homeschoolers, Youth
We used this book during our Ancient History and Literature year. The stories are easy enough for late elementary and middle school aged children.
Spoza
I wanted to brush up on my Greek Myths and this was a very fun read, but not exactly the best anthology of Myths that I could pick.
Alexa
Love...Love...Will always love this book. Gave me so much information about the myths that I was trying to find out about.
Jesstine
Could use a few more myths
Rojo
read it for english class, it was ok...my favorite story was "Cupid and Psyche".
Morgan
I read this when I was ten years old. A great way to be introduced to the Greek myths.
Rosalee Land
It is a pretty good book but some of it has some pretty creepy stuff in it.
Jaynei Stone
I think the book is a great selection for others who enjoy mythical stories.
Jaime
Read this with my daughters as it was a little more kid-friendly. Great book!
Sabrina
Very interesting. I enjoyed it very much!
Ella
Only read a few of the myths
Dorion Zambuchini
Didn't know many of the myths
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Christine Hammers
Christine Hammers marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Tales of Ancient Egypt
  • King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Treasury of Greek Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Heroes & Monsters
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • The Journeyman
  • Black Ships Before Troy
  • Terrible Things: An Allegory of the Holocaust
  • Toliver's Secret
  • The Great Wheel
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles
  • 101 Great American Poems
  • Master Cornhill
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
Olivia Coolidge was born in London, England, in 1908. She received her education at Somerville College, Oxford University, where her main subjects included Latin, Greek, and philosophy. These studies helped her earn her place in the pantheon of children's literature through her mythological re-tellings demonstrating careful research and the adroit capacity to bring the past to life.
More about Olivia E. Coolidge...
The Trojan War Caesar's Gallic War Legends of the North The Golden Days Of Greece Men Of Athens