Start by marking “The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls” as Want to Read:
The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls

The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Ever since the first scrolls were found in the Judaean desert in 1947, the Dead Sea Scrolls have been the subject of passionate speculation and controversy. The possibility that they might challenge assumptions about ancient Judaism and the origins of Christianity, coupled with the extremely limited access imposed for many years, only fueled debate on their meanings.

With a
Published May 1st 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published June 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls

Bethany
Aug 28, 2015 Bethany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I am going to see an exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls today, so I picked this up at the library a couple of days ago to get an overview on a topic I knew nothing about.

It feels like a junior high textbook layout, with a lot of photos and illustrations. However, after a few pages I really began to appreciate the pictures, since the text is a bit dry. There's quite a bit of focus on understanding the roles of the first editorial team that worked on the scrolls. The rest of the book is an overview o
Rebecca The Files of Mrs. E,
I've always wanted to know more about the dead sea scrolls and this book really does answer all your questions. The only downside is that it is a little older so the information might be a bit dated--well, not the history portion.
Jason
Jul 22, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about the Dead Sea Scrolls so I was interested in reading this book when my Mom gave it to me. I'm amazed at how much information was packed into such a short book! This is a fascinating look at the discovery of the scrolls and their history from many perspectives.
Jennifer Daniel
Very interesting although dry in parts. I loved how the early scroll scolars in the 40's were using scotch tape to peice them together with lit cigarettes dangling from their mouths. On an immamature and frivolous note - the goat herder who discovered the first cave containing scrolls, Mohamed ed-Dib, is one hot Arab. Kinda reminds me of somebody I know.
Mark
Jun 22, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the dead sea scrolls at the Franklin institute in Philly. It was outrageously expensive. I saw this book there. It is picture book-like, but covers the history, content and significance of the scrolls well (as near as I can tell).
Mike Ratner
Jan 30, 2012 Mike Ratner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought at Qumran, this was the best and most comprehensive exposition of the historical, religious and cultural background of the Dead See Scrolls available at the store on the site.
Fr. Ted
Lots of good material for learning about the Dead Sea Scrolls with many photographs to illustrate ideas.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 220.93 DAV

Purchased by Carol FLEMING at the Van Andel Museum Center, May 2003.

Available.
Ilya Kozlov
good , clear review of very complex judaism at Jesus time
Ig-88
Aug 27, 2014 Ig-88 rated it did not like it
Saepe magnam natus. Et tempora voluptates officiis deserunt et dolor unde. Et architecto amet qui odit aut ut omnis. Mollitia provident doloribus nemo earum tenetur impedit.
Kitt
Kitt is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Jul 10, 2016
Anthony Kalogerinis
Anthony Kalogerinis marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Paul De Belder
Paul De Belder rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Everett
Everett marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Gary Gudmundson
Gary Gudmundson is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Kurt Wallinger
Kurt Wallinger marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ashley Brannon
Ashley Brannon rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
José Torres
José Torres marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Amanda Beck
Amanda Beck marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 27, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015