Start by marking “The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls” as Want to Read:
The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls

The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ever since the first scrolls were found in the Judaean desert in 1947, the Dead Sea Scrolls have been the subject of passionate speculation and controversy. The possibility that they might challenge assumptions about ancient Judaism and the origins of Christianity, coupled with the extremely limited access imposed for many years, only fueled debate on their meanings.

With a
Published May 1st 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published June 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete World of the Dead Sea Scrolls

Bethany
I am going to see an exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls today, so I picked this up at the library a couple of days ago to get an overview on a topic I knew nothing about.

It feels like a junior high textbook layout, with a lot of photos and illustrations. However, after a few pages I really began to appreciate the pictures, since the text is a bit dry. There's quite a bit of focus on understanding the roles of the first editorial team that worked on the scrolls. The rest of the book is an overview o
Rebecca Esposito
I've always wanted to know more about the dead sea scrolls and this book really does answer all your questions. The only downside is that it is a little older so the information might be a bit dated--well, not the history portion.
Jennifer Patrick
Very interesting although dry in parts. I loved how the early scroll scolars in the 40's were using scotch tape to peice them together with lit cigarettes dangling from their mouths. On an immamature and frivolous note - the goat herder who discovered the first cave containing scrolls, Mohamed ed-Dib, is one hot Arab. Kinda reminds me of somebody I know.
Mark
I saw the dead sea scrolls at the Franklin institute in Philly. It was outrageously expensive. I saw this book there. It is picture book-like, but covers the history, content and significance of the scrolls well (as near as I can tell).
Mike Ratner
Bought at Qumran, this was the best and most comprehensive exposition of the historical, religious and cultural background of the Dead See Scrolls available at the store on the site.
Fr. Ted
Lots of good material for learning about the Dead Sea Scrolls with many photographs to illustrate ideas.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 220.93 DAV

Purchased by Carol FLEMING at the Van Andel Museum Center, May 2003.

Available.
Ilya Kozlov
good , clear review of very complex judaism at Jesus time
Ig-88
Saepe magnam natus. Et tempora voluptates officiis deserunt et dolor unde. Et architecto amet qui odit aut ut omnis. Mollitia provident doloribus nemo earum tenetur impedit.
Jea Quin
Jea Quin marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Stephen Fawcett
Stephen Fawcett marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Antoine Shehadeh
Antoine Shehadeh marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kristie Corcoran
Kristie Corcoran marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Hazlit
Hazlit marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Jeramiah Giehl
Jeramiah Giehl marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Truelight
Truelight marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
In Search of 'Ancient Israel' Memories of Ancient Israel: An Introduction to Biblical History- Ancient and Modern The Old Testament World Scribes And Schools: The Canonization Of The Hebrew Scriptures Whose Bible Is It Anyway?