Mephisto Aria

Mephisto Aria

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  2 reviews
At the height of her career, opera singer Katherina Marov is stunned by her father's suicide. Reading his journals, she learns of his dark days as a soldier on the Russian front and in war-torn Berlin. She cannot condone him for his crimes and secrets though, for while she is learning of his demons, she is discovering her own.
Published January 12th 2010 by Bold Strokes Books

Stevie Carroll
A gripping thriller about opera in the old divided Germany of the 1980s and the repercussions of events occuring during and after WWII. Also there are women dressed as men and renegade Russian and East German soldiers for our heroines to contend with, not to mention a man who styles himself after the operatic devil himself. Highly recommended and I'm sorry I took so long to pick it up off the To Read pile and that I don't have the author's other books (yet).
M
Jul 29, 2013 M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: l-books
This is a very strangle, brilliant and uneven story. The writing is very good and the historical elements are excellent and very well handled, however, the almost supernatural ending had my alarm going off and ultimately made me downgrade my rating.

Maybe the mixing of the historical elements and the supernatural weren't a great fit for me, but I would still recommend as a "Good Read".
Jen
Jen added it
Apr 25, 2014
Kriszta
Kriszta marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Genny
Genny marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Patty
Patty added it
Jun 03, 2013
Jem
Jem marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Alicja
Alicja marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Dark714
Dark714 marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2012
Pepper
Pepper marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Separate 2 144 Jul 25, 2012 03:34PM
From the author's website: How a mild-mannered academic went astray and began writing lesbian fiction:
A recovered academic, Justine Saracen started out producing dreary theses, dissertations and articles for esoteric literary journals. Writing fiction, it turned out, was way more fun. With seven historical thrillers now under her literary belt, she has moved from Ancient Egyptian theology (The 100...more
More about Justine Saracen...
Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright Sistine Heresy The 100th Generation (Ibis Prophecy, #1) Sarah, Son of God Vulture's Kiss (Ibis Prophecy, #2)