Start by marking “How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days (Revised) How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days (Revised)” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  338 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
For almost twenty years, dog owners have turned to this compact guide for sensible, step-by-step advice how to housebreak their beloved pets--in just one week Now revised and updated, pet expert Shirlee Kalstone's foolproof method for housebreaking your dog is available with a fresh new look and up-to-date information.
Whether your dog is a puppy or getting on in years, wh
Published October 28th 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days (Revised) How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days

Tonya
Jan 02, 2016 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has very clear, step by step instructions on how to house break your puppy. As my husky is only 8 weeks he isn't quite at the recommended age (the books says they do not have bladder control until 16 weeks), but I am beginning the schedule and hope to see great results by the time he is about 4 months old. It's a quick read and easy to understand, I would highly recommend this to anyone needing to house break a dog of any age.
Abigail
Aug 13, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and concise

The instructions are very clear on what to do in different kinds of situations. It also explains why do each thing very well, and it provides schedules as well. As someone who likes to use positive reinforcement, I liked it and will be doing everything instructed.
Deborah Parsons
Nov 24, 2015 Deborah Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good start for puppy

Great information and realistic. You will have a housebroken dog who is also comfortable with his crate/pen -- necessary not just for housebreaking, but also for his safety when you can't be watching his every move (or chew).
Judy Proctor, M
Jun 24, 2014 Judy Proctor, M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!

Great Book!

This book is written in easy to understand wording. she gives many examples when she introduces a new
method. Easy to understand and follow.
Holly
Jun 24, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic stuff here. Useful, but most adults should already know most of this if you have owned a dog before. If you have have never owned a dog, this is a great book for you!
Ron
Oct 29, 2015 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy and Fast Read

About to start the program... Let's hope my 5 stars stay after these 7 days!
Randall
Quick and helpful. A few lame jokes. Luckily my puppy is such a boss that he was housebroken by the time I got around to finishing this.
Deann Eckdahl
Quick simple read. Has sample schedules for both people who are at home and those who work which was good.
Shar'on
Feb 22, 2014 Shar'on rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very basic and helpful for the first time owner who wants to train their puppy correctly.
Jen
Jul 06, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very basic and step-by-step manual that should solve most housebreaking issues quickly.
Nikki
Apr 27, 2016 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Worked well for one dog but not the other, although we're still trying.
Ivy
Jul 02, 2012 Ivy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you say that you really like this kind of book?!? That being said it did address the anxious dribbling issue that we are having with Gimpy and it explained why Isaac needs to be a better pooper-scooper. He has thankfully taken the challenge to heart, for the health of his dog. It was a useful, easy read.
Julie Corbett
Mar 08, 2016 Julie Corbett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. A very quick read. Broke the whole process down to the age of your dog, time spent at home alone, how to effectively crate train...can't wait to get a crate and try this out with Murphy, our 18-month old Bichon Frise mix. I know he's going to "hit the bullseye", so to speak.
Janie
In seven days I will know whether I still love this method or whether I hate everything.
Chris
Apr 09, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, the timing she gives here is a little ridiculous, but she has some great ideas and good guidelines based on the age of your puppy. I found the book quite helpful. For the results, talk to me in 6 months! :)
Jess
Apr 16, 2011 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
Mostly useful information, bur I've read most of it elsewhere. Best resource in this book us probably the schedules listed for various lifestyles and dog ages.
Kartika
Useful tidbits of info, looks like decent schedules to follow for various situations...
Jazzw
May 04, 2016 Jazzw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, home-family
It's house breaking your dog, and training the human. Useful info.
Diana
Aug 14, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful. Keeps it simple and fast and easy to read.
Grace
Feb 04, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going to try this with my dog and see how it works!
Beth
Jan 08, 2010 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We'll see now, won't we. I might change my rating!
Anna
Apr 04, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, seriously...don't ask. DANG DOG!!!
David
May 31, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Every puppy owner should read this.
Craig
Dec 15, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Bring on the pee. I'm ready.
Christie
Jan 24, 2012 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, dogs
Basic, but helpful.
Penny Andrews
Penny Andrews rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
April Spencer
April Spencer rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Rudi
Rudi marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Colleen Shinners
Colleen Shinners is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
  • How to Talk to Your Dog
  • The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog
  • Every Word Has Power: Switch on Your Language and Turn on Your Life
  • The Complete Dog Book
  • The Human Magnet Syndrome: Why We Love People Who Hurt Us
  • No Bad Dogs: The Woodhouse Way
  • When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs
  • Post-it Note Diaries: 20 Stories of Youthful Abandon, Embarrassing Mishaps, and Everyday Adventure
  • The Perfect Puppy
  • Good Owners, Great Dogs
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
  • Choosing ME Before WE
  • Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Dogs are from Neptune (Dogs Behaving Badly!)
  • The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation
  • The Art of Raising a Puppy