Start by marking “Three Novels of Ancient Egypt Khufu's Wisdom, Rhadopis of Nuthree Novels of Ancient Egypt Khufu's Wisdom, Rhadopis of Nubia, Thebes at War Bia, Thebes” as Want to Read:

Three Novels of Ancient Egypt Khufu's Wisdom, Rhadopis of Nuthree Novels of Ancient Egypt Khufu's Wisdom, Rhadopis of Nubia, Thebes at War Bia, Thebes (The Egyptian Trilogy #1-3)

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)
From Nobel laureate Naguib Mahfouz: the three magnificent novels-published in an omnibus edition for the first time--that form anancient-Egyptian counterpart to his famous "Cairo Trilogy."
Mahfouz reaches back thousands of years to bring us tales from his homeland's majestic early history-tales of theEgyptian nobility and of war, star-crossed
Published November 26th 2008 by Everyman's Library (first published March 27th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novels of Ancient Egypt Khufu's Wisdom, Rhadopis of Nuthree Novels of Ancient Egypt Khufu's Wisdom, Rhadopis of Nubia, Thebes at War Bia, Thebes

Alisa
May 26, 2010 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: limbo
I didn't even know Mahfouz wrote historicals. I jumped on this when I saw it at the library. Khufu's Revenge was excellently biblical. You dare to defy fate, puny Pharoah? Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

I read the first (short) novel, really liked it and intended to "save" the other two for a later date. Somehow I never got back to them. But I still mean to.
Beth J
Jun 27, 2010 Beth J rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Within the first few pages of the first book, the author has Khufu (Cheops) riding in a horse-drawn chariot. Since the Hyksos only introduced chariots, horses, and bronze weapons to Egypt about 900 years after Cheops, I decided these books are a little too fictionalized for me. It would be the equivalent of putting cell phones into a story that takes place in 1100 CE. A bit worse than an 'oops'!
Robin Sencenbach Ferguson
Having never read (and, admittedly never heard of) Mahfouz, I was intrigued by reading historical fiction of ancient Egypt written by--well--an Egyptian. His work is a nationalistic celebration of Egypt--its kings are brave and powerful, both in battle and in wit, as well as supremely beautiful and noble. Its noblemen and peasants are loyal to the point of death. All stories celebrate a larger than life ancient Egypt, less historical than it is fictional, but brighter and more brilliant than any ...more
Sadiq sagheer
Apr 27, 2015 Sadiq sagheer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The three grandiose and melodramatic novels of Nobel laureate Naguib Mahfouz also known as "Ancient Egypt Trilogy" reaches back thousands of years to bring us tales from Naguib Mahfouz homeland’s majestic early history—tales of the Egyptian nobility and of war, star-crossed love, and the divine rule of the pharoahs.
The first book in trilogy is "Khufu’s Wisdom", the legendary Fourth Dynasty monarch faces the prospect of the end of his rule and the possibility that his daughter has fallen in love
Gordon
Dec 11, 2014 Gordon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love Mahfouz and am interested in history, so these stories seemed like a good bet. Certainly their plots have potential, but the execution (at least in translation) came across as stilted. The narrative is heavy on long speeches and grand statements, with comparatively little in the way of everyday detail to lighten the effect. I've been very impressed by Mahfouz's other work, but this just isn't on the same level.
Tiffany
Feb 11, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of his, The Beginning and The End is not shown here. Was recommended years ago by my friend Anita. I know very little about Egypt and it quickly sucked me in with his easy writing style and dialogue. A great story (and very heartbreaking) about long-time held beliefs regarding Egyptian social class. His books are a little hard to find in stores but usually the library has some.
Victoria Jackson
Apr 08, 2016 Victoria Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-eygpt, owned
Nobel prize winning novelist's three Ancient Egyptian novels, told like fables. The most action packed of the three is Thebes at War - telling of the expulsion of the Hyksos, Khufu's Wisdom is more philosophical and Raphodis of Nubia a moral tale. The plot is more interesting than the language, style quite sparse as Egyptian version of Nordic sagas.
R A S
Feb 09, 2014 R A S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing tale of Ancient Egypt - just keeps you enthralled. The colourful characters bring the human & divine together to depict the virtues& foibles. Life is so ephemeral, one tends to forget that fact but this story brings you to your focus.
Rowena
This collection of three stories was really a great find. I was wandering around St. Mark's bookshop and the spine of this book really stuck out for me. I'm always on the lookout for Egyptian literature and this is the best I've read thus far. Mahfouz' delicate artistry in his storytelling and the way he weaves words together truly transported me to that long-ago era.

Each of the three stories delves into treachery, love, deceit, irreversible fate...all swirled up in the lush background of ancie
Deodand
May 10, 2009 Deodand rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, africa
These stories read like fairy-tales or legends, yet the characters are more complex than I expected to find. Mahfouz seems to have captured the romantic nature of Egypt - romantic in the larger sense; not just relating to love but to grand tales of all sorts.

This is a book to have around for the long term. Some books can't be picked up and put down without frustration or confusion but this one is ideal for such a situation. Its simplicity and clarity make it easy on the mind.

One piece of advice
Qalandar
Aug 17, 2009 Qalandar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mahfouz's three novels on ancient Egypt aren't especially distinguished in terms of theme or depth (the first was published in 1939; the last in 1944, when Mahfouz was not yet thirty-three). But they are marked out for genius by Mahfouz's ability to render a completely plausible Egypt for his reader, to the point where one doesn't feel one is reading historical novels, but novels set in the only time that is. These three are as close as the novel gets to the timeless art of the storyteller.
Chris
The three novels at that make up this collection are riveting and excellent reading. The first concerns the Pharaoh Khufru and his heirs, the second the love of a Pharaoh for a concubine (based on an ancient story and with a Cinderella flavor), and the last the fight of the Egyptian natives to overthrow Hyksos. The second story contains some wonderful poetical passages. I also wonder how much the third novel is stands for British/Egyptian relations at the time of its publication.
Lloyd Francis
Dec 26, 2013 Lloyd Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished Khufu's wisdom, the first of three novels in this volume. This was a fine piece of fiction, a first novel, and so it seemed one dimensional at times, but the plot made this book very enjoyable. Once I started I found it difficult to put it down.
Switched infants, cruel fate, and a predictable yet satisfying ending make this book a four star experience, however, I would still reccomend it for anyone looking for a quick literary escape.
Gareth Jones
ok for an early novel
Matt/Sharon
Feb 09, 2008 Matt/Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author and book are freakin' great! He so effectively brings ancient Egypt to life that you're surprised that your house doesn't have colonnades when you look up. highly recommended. Especially the last novel in the volume "Thebes at war" you should read this book and discover this author.
Charvel Vizitei
Jan 15, 2014 Charvel Vizitei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egypt
These stories are not the normal style of novel that I would read, but I was completely drawn in. The writing is not flowery or overly descriptive, but it still manages to convey strong emotion. Beautifully done. Loved it
Tanya
Jan 30, 2016 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't really get into this book. Only read the first of the three short stories.
Karley Klopfenstein
Wow, what amazing stories. Originally published in the 40's these stories are just as fascinating today, they still resonate with life. Excellent read.

Tenli
Jul 26, 2009 Tenli marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read the first of the three -- Khufu's Wisdom -- and it's a great story, written by someone who knows Egypt's terrain and takes you there.
Leila
Re-reading Naguib Mahfous. what a pleasure.
Parker Douglas
Parker Douglas marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Flowered Wallpaper
Flowered Wallpaper marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
سومر العبيد
سومر العبيد marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Solomon Soliman
Solomon Soliman rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
VAN
VAN is currently reading it
Alexandra Anghel
Alexandra Anghel marked it as to-read
Paul Miller
Paul Miller marked it as to-read
Aida Elbanna
Aida Elbanna marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Humair
Humair marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
  • David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair
  • The Raj Quartet (1): The Jewel in the Crown, The Day of the Scorpion
  • Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters
  • The Sonnets and Narrative Poems
  • Lady of the Reeds (Lady of the Reeds, #1)
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce and Selected Stories
  • The Songs of the Kings
  • The Complete Henry Bech
  • Egyptian Art
  • Ancient Egypt: A Very Short Introduction
  • For the Love of Philae
Naguib Mahfouz (Arabic author profile: نجيب محفوظ) was an Egyptian writer who won the 1988 Nobel Prize for Literature. He published over 50 novels, over 350 short stories, dozens of movie scripts, and five plays over a 70-year career. Many of his works have been made into Egyptian and foreign films.
More about Naguib Mahfouz...

The Egyptian Trilogy (4 books)
  • عبث الأقدار
  • رادوبيس
  • كفاح طيبة

“A priest's life is spent between question and answer-- or between a question and the attempt to answer it. The question is the summary of the spiritual life.” 4 likes