What's a Disorganized Person to Do?

What's a Disorganized Person to Do?

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  53 reviews
An easy-to-read, idea-packed guide for anyone who wants to be more organized—and who doesn't?

Everyone has overflowing closets and desk drawers, countertops loaded with kitchen gadgets, and overstuffed computer desktops. We dream of getting organized—but what's a disorganized person to do? In this book, professional organizer Stacey Platt comes to the rescue with empowerin...more
Published April 2nd 2010 by Artisan (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What's a Disorganized Person to Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's a Disorganized Person to Do?

Dayna
Imagine an avid Pinterest user's "Organize" board put into book form, and this is it. It's a collection of tips and techniques for organizing your home, room by room. As other reviewers have said, it's not all that original. If you're already a very organized person, or a collector of these types of books, you won't find it very helpful. But as a natural piler with disorganized tendencies, I found it to be very helpful. Although, it could be an advertisement for The Container Store. But I think...more
Becky
This book has numerous good ideas, but the problem with being organized is that no matter how many sorting boxes you put in your house, it wont matter unless you make a point to USE them.

I've begun to use a few of their ideas, and while sometimes I feel like I'm being all OCD about sorting, they're generally working. There were a few thoughts like magnetic strips on the kitchen wall that I feel look just too utilitarian and unwelcoming, and so you need to balance homey-ness with clutterlessness....more
Heather C.
I guess I can't give a book that is about organizing my pots and pans five stars when I have given five stars to books that have caused a great spiritual or emotional change in my life, now can I? BUT, this book totally changed how I organize my home, and that is massive. I don't know what it was about this little book that changed the way I look at everything in my household, but it worked. I liked her theory of the fork. Everybody knows where the forks are in their home. You don't have to sear...more
Emily
this book helped me to much with organizing my house. it is simple and organized...exactly what I needed.
Karen
This book has a lot of great tips-- some of them were common knowledge and some were eye-opening.

Now all I have to do is actually implement what I learned... later.
Tammy
If only reading a book would solve my diorganization!
josh
Jun 22, 2014 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those with no clue how to organize
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ store
Mostly common sense stuff with lots of pretty pictures of perfectly arrayed things. Although, Platt seems to assume a limitless budget for buying tons of storage organizers / folders / boxes / cubbies / shelves (think California Closets) and tons of space ~ not renting a room / living in a <500sq ft apartment ~ given how many references there are to "just organize it & store it in the basement or garage".

It'll be on the reference shelf, but the most useful thing was the information for op...more
Andrea
Apr 14, 2011 Andrea added it
I ordered this book on Amazon and it arrived yesterday. At first glance I thought - this is more of a 'read a section here and there' book rather than a 'read cover to cover' type of book. But I nearly did just that yesterday! It was a bit overwhelming seeing as how being organized doesn't come naturally for me *at all*, but it was so much fun to read and has some fabulous organizational tips and ideas. I especially like her attitude about throwing things away, I'm more of a thrower-awayer type...more
Ruthie Jones
This is definitely an eye-pleasing book (lots of pictures), but a lot of this information is common sense or stuff most people learn throughout their lives. Unfortunately, nothing just gets organized. Organization (and staying organized) takes work and diligence. All the containers and labels and whatnot won't help if you don't do it and keep it up! Platt's book covers pretty much all areas in our homes from closets to kitchens to food storage to home offices/guest rooms and everything in betwee...more
Jodi
This is a great little book with ideas for organizing any thing and any space in your home. A lot of it isn't new, but it definitely did have some good tips I'd never considered before. It's organized by rooms in the house and has photographs demonstrating almost each principle. The only thing it didn't take into consideration is homes that might not have as much storage space as this book assumes. When we moved in to our new house over 2 years ago, we unpacked all our boxes quickly just throwin...more
Sensible organizing advice for all rooms of the house. I am going to work through the "one hour projects" to clean up fridge, medicine cabinet, etc.
Carrie
Several good ideas, but a lot of things I couldn't use. Not as much about getting rid of clutter as organizing clutter.
Elena Boteva
This book is a great organizational tool. Though some tips were a bit redundant. It did however have a ton of helpful information and ideas, some of which I can act on right away and others would have to wait for their time to come.

May the spring cleaning season of 2014 commence...
Barb
Oh! I LOVE this book! I'd love to be this organized! The pictures are awesome. I show my husband those pictures and just sigh. The utility room....man, I'm drooling over it! Really though, the book is organized by rooms in your home and there are helpful tips for each. Even a way to organize a paper piler like me! I can read little bits at a time and dream away....
Nicola
I loved this book! It is chalk-full of simple things to do to organize one's house. It really is for a dis-organized person, or one that seemingly (for some)obvious organizational ideas just haven't been thought of. Because... as I believe Eeyore the gloomy donkey from Winnie the Pooh has suggested "not all of us can and some of us don't" -- Luckily, there is this book!
There is information in here that you could get elsewhere, but this little book is organized so well that you really don't need to. There were a couple of things I really loved, and I surprised myself by reading it virtually cover to cover. Even if you would call yourself an organized person, you'll find something that speaks to you, like folding fitted sheets!
Sophie
Fantastic book , well made with easy page turning corners, full of useful info, best book about organising your home I have ever read . Must read
Denise
I'm a very organized individual but always looking for tips/advice to increase my own efficiency and cut down wasted effort. Most of the things in this book I already do but there were a few items I learned that will help me at home. Plan on buying book as a present for a very disorganized person I know (evil grin)!
False Millennium
As a hyper organized person myself, I am always looking for that extra...something, and I never find it in these books. I see their value for people who have somewhat of an idea what to do. For hoarders? These books are useless. Now back to my Hemingway's letters book.
Donna
Jul 11, 2011 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: disorganized people like me
Shelves: nonfiction
Now if I only did what this book suggested..... Actually it's a pretty well organized book on how to get organized. I always marvel at the size of the closets and bathrooms in which stuff is being organized. They need to write an organization book for the small home.
Kathleen
I was surprized when I got the book, that it is literally 1 to 317 listed ideas,tips, projects, and lists. Just like it said on the book cover,lol. I bought the book on the internet so I didn't see how organized it was.
The tips are extremely helpful.
Andrea
Jan 15, 2014 Andrea added it
Offers a practical guide to organize everything. I love the simple 1 hour tasks to help get you started organizing. This book also answers those daunting questions like, "what do I need in my glove box, first aid kit, tax folder, closet."

Pamela Strickland
Beautifully presented. Resourceful. Best takeaway: adding "decant" to my organizational lexicon. (As in, taking things out of their bulky, original packinging and putting them into something more functional or asthetically pleasing.)
Leonard
Informative and useful book about getting and keeping things organized. Also blessed with countless photos that make it light and livier, even if they don't always contribute much useful information.
Bookwyrmgyrl
Super book! Good size, easy to hold, clear and interesting. Lots of excellent ideas. Practical. If you're going to read just one book on getting organized or decluttering, make it this one!
Cathi95
(non-fiction) 317 tips including projects and lists to unclutter and streamline your life. Nothing particularly new, but if one wasn't an addict of such books, it would be very good.
Renee Richins
May 10, 2012 Renee Richins is currently reading it
Shelves: borrow-again
So, because I'm not organized, I had to return this book before really going through it. I will borrow it again because it looks like I still have some organizing to do.
Elise Bond
Very well set up, especially for someone with ADD. Each tip is succinct and self-contained, so you don't have to read a whole chapter at a time to benefit.
Linda
Always some good ideas in these books and this one has many - field trip to my home in a year to see if I have been successful in incorporating any of them!
Chris
Some great tips, but I'm still stuck on getting photographs under control.
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • I Brake for Yard Sales: High Style - Low Budget
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • Body Clutter: Love Your Body, Love Yourself
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning, and Calm the Chaos
  • Animal Lust
  • New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens)