Start by marking “Goodbye, Earl” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Earl

Goodbye, Earl (Bad Girl Creek #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Five challenging years have passed in the lives of the ladies of Bad Girl Creek. Beryl, Nance, Ness, and Phoebe have experienced their share of hardship and heartache, but also much happiness.

Beryl now lives with Earl in Alaska, where the fissures in their relationship have started to spread. When Earl disappears one wintry night, some dark and desperate memories surface,

Published December 30th 2003 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Earl

Carrie
I really don't get the point of this book. Everyone was pretty "happily ever after" after the previous book, and for some reason the author wanted to mess things up for people, for no reason that I could understand.

And the characters are less enjoyable than usual. For example, the author portrays Phoebe's daughter as such an unpleasant child, yet everyone dotes on her--it makes no sense. I don't understand why the author never shows anything good about the child.

I didn't enjoy any of the story
Diana
Jo-Ann Mapson writes wonderful stories about characters that seem like you could easily know them in your life.
This book is a continuation of the character from "Bad Girl Creek,"
One of the stories I enjoyed in the book is Ness taking care of her friend, David Snow. David has AIDS and is dying. This story highlights straight women loving gay men (or visa-versa) It is a very loving story.
The main story is about Beryl. She is in Alaska with Earl and he dissapears one night. Will their relati
Marleen
An authentic-feeling end to the Bad Girl Creek trilogy. I’m going to miss these complex, amazing, and sometimes annoying women. From great moments of joy to long stretches of depression and sadness, the friendship these 4 unique and mature women shared gave me many enjoyable reading hours. The Bad Girls had a good run in the course of 3 books going over a span of +/- 7 years. Nevertheless, I could go on reading about their lives, because I think there are so many more stories to tell – and it al ...more
Denise
Amy
I really liked Bad Girl Creek, in a guilty pleasure, chick-book sort of way, so I was excited that it was going to be a series. The second book, Along Came Mary, was pretty disappointed. This one was better, although it still didn't live up to the original.

I think the problem here is that Mapson is trying to tell too many stories at once. So we focus here mostly on Beryl's break-up, but then there's also Phoebe's new relationship, and Nance's pregnancy. Ness's story gets shoved way into the back
Sandy D.
An ok sequel to "Along Came Mary" and "Bad Girl Creek", about a group of women living on a flower farm in California. One of them goes to Alaska with her parrot & wonderful boyfriend, and five years later her boyfriend (Earl) disappears. He may or may not be as great as he appeared. Kinda soap opera-ish, and the characters are a little too charmingly idiosyncratic now. Her first books seemed to pack more of a punch, and now the characters are just rambling along while all kinds of things cra ...more
Valerie Patterson
It took me months to get through this book. Ugh! I could not get into it and stay into it. The characters themselves are engaging but the plot fell a little flat by bouncing around from one problem of one friend to another problem of another friend and back again. Even fans of the series had complaints on this one.
Pat
I really like Jo-Ann Mapson's writing. Since this was in her Bad Girl Creek series and I liked the other books, this just gave me an update on characters I liked and was interested in reading about. It was fun for me to read about Anchorage, as I visit there every summer and lived there for 4 years many years ago.
Linda
I like the song by the Dixie Chicks but this was much better! Learning about Alaskan winters, Northern Lights, rescuing birds, Loss of loved ones, Better better, best for fiction writing. Try this easy going novel, you'll LIKE it.
Susan E
I just re-read this trilogy, and it wasn't as fun a series as I remember. Although I still like some of the characters, others strike me as harsh and I wonder why these women felt so strongly about each other.
EngIIrockz
I'm hoping there's another book coming in the Bad Girl Creek series because this one left too many open-ended issues for my taste. I think I'd like living at Sadie's Farm on the shores of Bad Girl Creek!
Mary Baker
This is the third book in the Bad Girl Creek series. I like Jo-Ann Mapson's writing although I sometimes become confused trying to keep up with the different characters.
Pam
The whole Bad Girl Creek series (3 books) was wonderful-talk about chicks with attitude-I related to the characters so much. Jo-Ann Mapson is a wonderful writer.
Judy
This is the third Bad Girl Creek novel I've read. I like the characters and enjoy reading about what's happening in their lives. I hope she writes more.
Trish
Beautifully woven tale of life, love, and friendship. Can't wait to check out her other Bad Girl Creek titles.
Susan
A good story, but not as good as the first two. Had lots of editing errors, like she hurried to get it finished.
Marsha Gilbert
The best way to overcome adversity is with the help of friends and helping others (therefor making friends.
Jonna
See my reviews for "Along Came Mary" and "The Wilder Sisters" =-== wonderful book.
Diane
My least favorite of the three books in the series. This one seemed to ramble to much.
Mary
needed a girl book to go w/ reading the Alaska book in tandem w/ Larry
Pamela Trawick
Part of series. This one is more in Alaska than in California.
Dianne
Again, a wonderful story of enduring friendship and life lessons.
Toesnorth's mom
well written but characters not _______ and hard to understand
Paula
Great story. Last in the trilogy. Highly reccomend.
Linda
More on the lives of the Bad Creek Girls.
Wanda
Pleasant, light reading.
Judy Poke
very enjoyable book
  • Try Darkness
  • Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner
  • The Golden Willow: The Story of a Lifetime of Love
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • Out of the Ruins (Golden Gate Chronicles #1)
  • At Bluebonnet Lake (Texas Crossroads, #1)
  • The Sheep Walker's Daughter
  • Your Chariot Awaits: An Andi McConnell Mystery
  • The Fire in Ember
  • The Garden Angel
  • Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • One Last Look (Look trilogy, #3)
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • The Tiara Club
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Description & Setting
Jo-Ann Mapson, a third generation Californian, grew up in Fullerton as a middle child with four siblings. She dropped out of college to marry, but later finished a creative writing degree at California State University, Long Beach. Following her son's birth in 1978, Mapson worked an assortment of odd jobs teaching horseback riding, cleaning houses, typing resumes, and working retail. After earning ...more
More about Jo-Ann Mapson...

Bad Girl Creek (3 books)
  • Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1)
  • Along Came Mary (Bad Girl Creek #2)
Solomon's Oak The Owl & Moon Cafe Finding Casey Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1) Hank & Chloe