Start by marking “Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in a Digital Age” as Want to Read:
Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in a Digital Age

Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in a Digital Age

Delete looks at the surprising phenomenon of perfect remembering in the digital age, and reveals why we must reintroduce our capacity to forget. Digital technology empowers us as never before, yet it has unforeseen consequences as well. Potentially humiliating content on Facebook is enshrined in cyberspace for future employers to see. Google remembers everything we've sear

Published September 14th 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Delete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delete

Jason
Jan 31, 2010 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1914, my grampa was born in a shotgun tenement apartment adjacent to an alley in the Polish-Russian ghetto of Chicago. They didn't run the coal furnace at night. To keep the lead pipes from freezing, he remembers a splinter of lumber in the kitchen sink, balanced from the drain to the tip of the faucet, letting the water drizzle all night. He tells the story of a February morning his mom called him and his sister out of bed. The mattress they shared was made of straw and ticking. They threw o ...more
Anoush Margaryan
This book puts forward an interesting and important idea - that information that we own and share on the web has to have an "expiry date" and that each individual should have control over his/her information. Unfortunately this idea is overelaborated to fill 200 pages when perhaps 10 would suffice.

Maghily
Mar 08, 2017 Maghily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce livre, bien qu'il soit extrêmement intéressant et soulève des questions qui m'interpellent fortement, a eu un terrible effet soporifique sur ma personne...
Farhana
Nov 25, 2016 Farhana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The worst of its kind. -_-
I picked it up because the title attracted me. I like the term "DELETE" so much . But yeah "Looks are DECEPTIVE."

Okay what I expected from the book reading its title, it totally failed to give me that. :/
It was more like a history or sociology book [ the evolution of press , disk drives blah blah -_- ]
A boring one to waste my time on it :3 বাংলাতে রচনামূলক পরশনের উততর লিখার মতন একটা বই :3

And one thing the writer mentioned " In Islam, printing (instead of a scribe’s cop
Musca
Jan 13, 2017 Musca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through the developing of technology, digital collective memory can be stored timelessly, possibly used to replace the individual memory for bureaucratic profits, which is another form of information asymmetry.
Nilendu Misra
Mar 13, 2017 Nilendu Misra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before digital age, remembering was MORE expensive than forgetting. Not anymore. This book diligently probes the, often counterintuitive, ramifications of that. Insightful and incisive
William Cornwell
This book is not going to be to everyone's liking because it divides into two distinct section. In the beginning, the book deals with large, abstract ideas about human history and memory. The author argues that in the analog world, forgetting was the norm and remembering was hard because it was difficult to store information in an easily accessible and permanent form. The author's discussion here is fascinating, as he points out how analog information slowly decays as it is copied (think of the ...more
Hannah
Feb 28, 2017 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, if occasionally long winded, read for those interested in the origins of the right to be forgotten.
Margaret Heller
I like the idea of this book, but I didn't like reading it. His argument is that by keeping everything that we've done online that we risk two things: first, that adolescent foibles and drunken late nights will be held against us potentially forever, and second that to forget makes us in some way more human and we have to retain that. To be honest I skimmed almost everything regarding the second argument and so may be stating it poorly.

While it is in fact the case that it's easier to find out pe
Kevin
Do we know what we're doing to our future selves by saving a permanent record of our digital memories, conversations and information to hard drives and the internet? Is it even our own choice to do so anymore? The author brings up some provocative ideas- about the digital age bringing a significant change to how we use 'external storage devices' (books being an older form) to extend our own faulty animal capacities to remember.

One scenario describes us forming our own surveillance network, not
Aaron Lozano
Possibly an unfair rating as this wasn't a topic I normally would be interested in. Nice ideas but seemed a bit idealistic. The reason I read it, however, makes me comfortable giving it two stars...I just can't envision my students enjoying it.
Evanston Public  Library
Humans forget. That’s the norm. For thousands of prehistoric centuries that’s all there was to it because nothing was written down. Then came writing, and history, and for about forty historic centuries humans developed “external memory”: mechanisms such as books that enabled us to remember across generations (and to communicate at great distance). Still, forgetting remained the norm because most ideas weren’t recorded.

But in this century, with the rise of the Web, more and more of our words (an
Desiree
Aug 24, 2010 Desiree rated it really liked it
Great book, would have given it 5 stars, but I found the last third a bit boring. Other than that, I would definitely recommend it!

In our computer age, there is no forgetting. Google, for one, stores and saves our searches, caches pages, so nothing is forgotten! Is this a good thing? Not when you are passed over for the job you just applied for because of a questionable photo you posted online years ago! It does work when you are seeking information, as we now no longer have to memorize everythi
Terry Freedman
Mar 03, 2016 Terry Freedman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I saw a reference to this recently, and it reminded me that I must say something about it. In Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age, Viktor Mayer-Schönberger discusses the fact that, for the first time in history, the balance between remembering and forgetting has been altered. Our default state is to forget stuff, but now we, through our technology, can remember everything.

As he says,

A society that never forgets, may stop forgiving. That unfortunate photo of yourself, or that art
Luca Conti
Dec 03, 2010 Luca Conti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il libro discute con grande capacità l’evoluzione della memoria nella società umana, dall’uomo primitivo ad oggi. Il percorso è funzionale ad arrivare ai giorni nostri e ad interrogarci su quali conseguenze sia possibile immaginare in un mondo che, grazie ad Internet in particolare, non dimentica più. Il problema diventa opposto, ovvero avere una quantità di informazioni tali da non poterle più usare per decidere cosa fare, soprattutto nei momenti più importanti della nostra vita.

Dal banale epis
John
A very easy-to-read book on how technology has flipped our culture from one of remembering only important things to remembering everything. The examples aren't very academic and, therefore, easily accessible to most readers. A nice introduction to the concept, but I found some of the suggestions too simplistic. The first part of the book outlining the way our culture has adapted to our bad memories was more interesting than the end chapters on how we can reintroduce forgetting into our technolog ...more
Laurel
Jan 24, 2013 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically about privacy and the internet. The main thesis is, that due to the exponentially lower costs of digital storage, everything now posted online is archived and retrievable. The good and the bad can instantly be found by potential employers, lovers and the law. The author presents how we got to where we are and ideas for dealing with this, possibly life-altering technological dilemma. Ultimately, Mayer-Schonberger proposes that we place an expiration date on online informati ...more
Vera
Feb 20, 2016 Vera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-media
Overall, Mayer-Schönberger does make a good case for reviving forgetting and offers a number of solutions to make digital memory less robust. However, to the structure his analysis, he relies on the 1980s terms such as "the information rich" and " the information poor" that obscure material unequities behind networked power.
I also find the author's repeated references to Soviet Union baffling, as if ideological manipulation did not happen in the West during the Cold War. The book is about digita
Nancy
Nov 06, 2010 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
The high point, alas, is the title. Well, okay, also the concept -- that now it takes more effort to "forget" than to remember, that our relationship to the two has flipped. (I just spent a month sorting and deleting 18,000 emails; I totally get this).
But this is way too text booky; I started feeling sorry for students assigned to read this and want to tell them to skip to the last paragraphs of each chapter and/or skip it all and find better stories than those of the two hapless souls on which
Caroline Gray
May 09, 2014 Caroline Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important book - Chapter 4, Of Power and Time, particularly good. You do have to wade through some pretty dry stuff in places but the topic is worth it and he provides a framework for thinking about digital privacy and the need to deal with our digital records in a way that supports our humanity and helps makes sense of what is now happening in the legal system in Europe particularly with the search engines.
morbidflight
It's an interesting read, and an interesting argument about how we're now remembering by default as opposed to forgetting by default. I appreciated the distinction between time and power dimensions of digital forgetting. I did get caught up a few times by the odd love of the information free market ("we just have to empower consumers to make good decisions!") even though it was mediated by caveats about asymmetric power relationships.
Tank Green
Dec 21, 2011 Tank Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: internet, memory
excellent. in particular, i loved chapter four, 'of power and time', on the consequences of the demise of forgetting. the first two chapters were also excellent.

i definitely agree that excessive remembering inhibits our ability to change and limits the extent to which we can define ourselves. i, personally, think too much is remembered and welcome his solution to set expiration dates on digital files.

Stephan
Oct 23, 2009 Stephan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephan by: Kelsey
The author's core argument that the Digital Age has changed the way we store external memory so that it never disapears and affects the way we make decisions is smart. Also the solution to it: affixing expiration dates to data is good.

But the book could have been half as long - and it wasn't very long to begin with. I understand this was originally a thesis or paper - that was probably more precise. Or just listen to the NPR segment.
Andrea
Nov 02, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts off with an array of amazing information. What I'm having trouble with is the solution given to the problem of digital remembering. Not enough of it. It really hard to explain, but basically I was left convinced that change is necessary, but was also left without a proper answer and a bleak view of the future. Could be more insightful or hands-on.
Some of the examples repeated way too many times.
Enviable references.
H.d.
Sep 15, 2013 H.d. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pesquisa interessante, levanta um questionamento importante sobre o papel do esquecimento na nossa vida hoje. Infelizmente por vezes cai num tom meio apocalíptico, mas levanta uma boa base para compreender as mudanças atuais, onde aparecem apps como http://www.snapchat.com/, que provoca o esquecimento das imagens produzidas automaticamente.
Ali Arslan
Nov 12, 2012 Ali Arslan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rarely you would come across a full-length book with so little to say. The author's point -there is just one point and that's not more elaborate than what's already on the title- never evolves into something more compelling and thought-provoking. About half way into the book I decided that I "got it" and donated the book.
Eduardo
Society has taken for granted the act of forgetting. As time went by, technology made us less and less able to forget, and this change, as the author demonstrates, will have a profound effect on society. No definitive answers will be found in this book but I found it interesting to spark the debate. Is (or should) forgetting be a right in our society? And how can we operationalize this?
Lisa notes
Feb 22, 2014 Lisa notes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books this year. Forgetting used to be the norm; remembering the exception. But four technological changes have flipped that reality for us: digitization, cheap storage, easy retrieval, and global reach. But instead of trying to remember everything, we're better off by forgetting some things. Love how this book shows us which things are worth forgetting.
Tomi
May 01, 2014 Tomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author takes his time to expose the dangers of living in an age where we "remember everything" through our digital devices such as mobile phones. Suffice to say even google "never forgets". He makes some interesting suggestions on how we may re-introduce "forgetting" in this digital age, and the benefits that would accrue to us if we are able to. This book was for me an insightful read.
Alison
Nov 21, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ideas, iddilica
I thought this book was a good introduction to an increasingly important topic. It is a readable book and dig under the surface and there is a helpful model of approaching the implications of digital memory. There is a good balance between the issues, a conceptual framework and the pros and cons of some possible solutions. Only slightly let down by examples that were too extreme or simplistic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Life on the Screen
  • Who Controls the Internet?: Illusions of a Borderless World
  • Writing on the Wall: Social Media - The First 2,000 Years
  • Privacy in Context: Technology, Policy, and the Integrity of Social Life
  • Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age is Revolutionizing Life, Business, and Society
  • The Tyranny of E-mail: The Four-Thousand-Year Journey to Your Inbox
  • Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation Is Changing Your World
  • Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net's Impact on Our Minds and Future
  • To Save Everything, Click Here: The Folly of Technological Solutionism
  • Coming of Age in Second Life: An Anthropologist Explores the Virtually Human
  • Computer Lib; Dream Machines
  • The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding From You
  • Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age
  • You Are Not a Gadget
VIKTOR MAYER-SCHÖNBERGER is Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation at the Oxford Internet Institute, Oxford University. A widely recognized authority on big data, he is the author of over a hundred articles and eight books, of which the most recent is Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age. He is on the advisory boards of corporations and organizations around the world, inclu ...more
More about Viktor Mayer-Schönberger...