Start by marking “The Nation & Its Fragments: Colonial & Postcolonial Histories” as Want to Read:
The Nation & Its Fragments: Colonial & Postcolonial Histories

The Nation & Its Fragments: Colonial & Postcolonial Histories

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In this book, the prominent theorist Partha Chatterjee looks at the creative and powerful results of the nationalist imagination in Asia and Africa that are posited not on identity but on difference with the nationalism propagated by the West. Arguing that scholars have been mistaken in equating political nationalism with nationalism as such, he shows how anticolonialist n ...more
Published December 5th 1993 by Princeton University Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Nation & Its Fragments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nation & Its Fragments

Andrew
Much of the evidence Chatterjee provides refers to the specifics of Hindu philosophy and 19th Century Indian history. Being largely unfamiliar, I can't comment on these.

What I can comment on is Chatterjee's use of the concept of an "organic" nationalism that can act as a resistant to global capital. While I certainly sympathize with Chatterjee's critique of capitalism and his attack on orientalist programs (viz. basing all narratives of third-world experience on Western European models), his cri
J.M. Hushour
The epitome of all that is wrong with academia today. Abstruse, difficult, and so jargon-laden and expressionistic as to evoke gastrointestinal vulcanism. I'm no dummy, but I have no idea what this book is about. It seems to be a reading of Indian history and community-based nationalism though, as the back-cover blurb ejaculates the book "challenge[s] the Eurocentricity of...the nation-state, modernity, and indeed history itself". Uh-huh. Some choice gems:
"It is this objection that becomes the b
morning Os
A great combination of theoretical reflection and narrative history. I don't know how he does that. It's amazing how easy the reading of this book is! Coming from the Korean historiography, I knew there were a lot of similarities (and the Korean imitation of subaltern studies) in colonial history writing, but it was much more significantly so than I expected.

I am super excited about his argument that colonialism is the heart of the modern state project. But I am left with the question of, so th
Scott Smith
Didn't like this as much as others I've read. The scholarship is very impressive but it was a chore to read through (even though i skimmed much of it) and not very approachable. But if someone was doing a specific bit of research on Indian nationalism or something this would be handy. Just not for me.
simon
Seminal, to say the least. Really good for the history of anticolonial efforts in India for the century leading up to independence. I wish that his chapters on the role of women in the anti-colonial imagination were better.
hay man
it's okay but i'm not sure they 'get' the rest of the nationalism literature
Marek Eby
Marek Eby marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
wesley sandblom
wesley sandblom marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Mohamed Adam
Mohamed Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Aaroh
Aaroh marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Yen
Yen marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
José Pimentel Teixeira
José Pimentel Teixeira marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sowmya
Sowmya marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Vanessa van den Boogaard
Vanessa van den Boogaard marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Steven Carmona
Steven Carmona marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Ersel Jira
Ersel Jira marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Arun Mor
Arun Mor marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Jackson Cyril
Jackson Cyril marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Kris(tin)
Kris(tin) marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Black Saga
Black Saga marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Marf
Marf marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
  • Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality
  • The Colonizer and the Colonized
  • On the Postcolony
  • Rule of Experts: Egypt, Techno-Politics, Modernity
  • The Location of Culture (Routledge Classics)
  • Colonialism/Postcolonialism
  • Politics of Piety: The Islamic Revival and the Feminist Subject
  • Woman, Native, Other: Writing Postcoloniality and Feminism
  • Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest
  • Dislocating Cultures: Identities, Traditions, and Third World Feminism
Partha Chatterjee is a Professor of Anthropology at Columbia University; he also teaches and was a former director at the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, founded the Subaltern Studies Collective, and is a poet and a playwright.
More about Partha Chatterjee...
Nationalist Thought and the Colonial World: A Derivative Discourse The Politics of the Governed: Reflections on Popular Politics in Most of the World A Princely Imposter? The Kumar Of Bhawal And The Secret History Of Indian Nationalism The Black Hole of Empire: History of a Global Practice of Power Lineages of Political Society: Studies in Postcolonial Democracy