Start by marking “หมออารมณ์ดี (Every Living Thing)” as Want to Read:
หมออารมณ์ดี (Every Living Thing)

หมออารมณ์ดี (All Creatures Great and Small #5)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  6,264 ratings  ·  237 reviews
The international bestseller, finally in paperback. Every Living Thing is famed veterinarian James Herriot's first new volume of memoirs in over a decade, and from its opening pages, the reader's every expectation is fulfilled. Excerpted in McCall's and Good Housekeeping. Reader's Digest Condensed Book. Martin's. (Animals)
392 pages
Published 2000 by ผีเสื้อ (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about หมออารมณ์ดี, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about หมออารมณ์ดี

The Book
No matter how many times I read James Herriot's excellent books, I never get tired of them. After at least ten readings, each one still has the power to make me laugh and cry, and they're all the better for the familiarity I now have with his stories. I'm pretty sure that when I'm old and grey and full of sleep, I'll be reading these books and chuckling about the time Tristan created a kitchen explosion while trying to light the fire, and crying for each of the old dogs that never got better and ...more
When this first started, I thought, "Oh no. Tell me this isn't like this the whole way through." To my most utmost surprise, IT WAS! But it was okay, James Herriot grew on me and I liked his journey. I also enjoyed his humor.

But I do wish 2 things. One is that I wanted more detail about the people. The detail that was furnished all came about from interactions with animals. While that was sweet, I still wanted more. The second thing is all the tedious detail about how he treated the different ai
This is a very fitting last book to James Herriot's collection. In it, he and Helen move several times, and he details each move and house and what it represents to him. He also details the characters, arrivals, acclimatisations, and departures or two memorable veterinary assistants, both of which make for very compelling reading, though the "vet wi' the badger" is my favorite.

The book culminates with a very small, personal, tender story of Herriot and his own cats. This is one of the very best
Here this wonderful narrator has become a "quaint old fossil." Instead of the freshfaced and inexperienced newcomer in the first books, now he has the experience of training new vets, raising his own family, and gradually settling into comfortable curmudgeonliness. I still want to give him a huge hug and sit with him by the fire and sip tea, even if this book has lost a touch of the narrative focus of the earlier ones.
I had to buy a second copy of this book when I rashly lent the first copy to my mum. Should have known she'd never give it up! I wrote to James Herriot to tell him how much I enjoy his books. He wrote back with a charming letter, saying that although he was no longer in the best of health, hearing from people who love animals and the countryside meant so much to him. He died 2 weeks later. : (
I love all James Herriot books and this was no different. It's like eating comfort food, but not fattening.
Every Living Thing by James Herriot is a very inspirational book. James Herriot takes us through his journey of being a primarily large animal vet, and some small animal practice as well. He goes through so many cases that are all different and unique to each other and he tells the readers about his struggles and his successes along the way. It takes place in the farming country of the Yorkshire Dales, so the way the locals speak sometimes can be difficult to understand, and James Herriot strugg ...more
I don't know how many times I have told people how wonderful the first book in this series is, "All Creatures Great and Small". Many times. They always give me a look like they are humoring me. I get it a little bit. It took me a while to pick these up. I'm not much of an animal lover, I don't dislike animals I'm just a bit ambivalent. However, movies and books about animals... usually bore me to death or are extremely silly (movies with talking animals? No, thank you!) However, I can honestly s ...more
Cameron Amaya
Review of Every Living Thing by James Herriot

James Herriot is an extraordinary author, with a way to flow emotions onto the page. his books are colorful and filled with joy, but none quite like Every Living thing. This book is the story of a long life of veterinary practice out in the country, and the main character and veterinary is none other than the author, James Herriot.

James Herriot is a country vet out in the Yorkshire Dales of Great Britain. This book is a collection of tales of veterina
Every Living Thing was a wonderful conclusion to one of my favorite series. Just as emotionally touching as his previous books it brings up wonderful imagery and feelings, like meeting an old friend. In this book, more than ever we get the feeling that Jim has really grown up from when we first met him - with his family, moving homes, he and Siegfried taking on new apprentices, becoming a bit of an old relic. But it is still as delightful as ever, from the touching and sad to the light hearted ...more
And so the end of these delightful "Herriot books" as I call them. I've loved them all, any animal lover would. Here we see James and Helen continuing on in Darrowby, but now they've moved out of Skelldale House and have moved into a more modern place and then eventually to their little slice of heaven further away in a small village with a good bit of land. I loved the stories of the wild cats they befriend, not to mention the various villagers and farmers he meets. The assistant vets they hire ...more
The stories are fun and quick. I didn’t think the book was going to be very interesting at first, but I quickly got into it. The accent was a little hard to get used to; sometimes I had to read the same lines over and over. James is kind and thoughtful. It would be so much fun to be an assistant to him. I just kept thinking: does anyone like this anymore? The description of the scenery made me want to visit. It’s a cute collection of stories.

Lines that I loved:
When an animals lonely, there’s no
I read this book and all the others a while ago. Rereading it was really fun. I nearly cried several times, as each story in the book tells about the different personalities of humans and their pets.
Chris Allen
Not as good as some of the earlier gems in the series, but a fitting end. As usual, scattered with anecdotes and amusing tales of Herriot's life as a Yorkshire vet in post-war England, including a new house or two and the arrival and departure of Calum as an assistant (vet wi' t'badger, as the dales farmers would call him)...

Eminently readable, and never tiring, this is the longest of the 8 books. It's worth every penny, and is only weakened to 4 stars by the comparison with the others in the se
Love, James Herriot and his tales of being an English country veterinary doctor. They make me want to move to a farm in England. I'm going to be sorry when I've read all his books because he is not around to write more. Think his daughter wrote a nice biography of his life. That will be my next read after James Herriot's books.
Tanya W
Another great book... what can I say, I love James Herriot. Few authors have such a talent for telling stories that make me usually laugh, sometimes cringe, and sometimes get a tear in my eye. These are the kind of books that could be re-read and enjoyed (and I'm not the type to very often read a book a second time).
I first read this book years ago, with little hope that it could possibly be as delightful and interesting as the author's other books, but I'm happy to say, that fear was ungrounded. Now having read it a second time, I am so enarmored with it that I had to leave a review.
It doesn't quite send one into paroxysms of laughter llike Herriot's book, ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL, but there are genuinely good chuckles and even a few moments of deeper laughs. It has the warmth and love for life, peopl
I hope I never tire of his books.
I started this book back in high school (late 1990s), when my mom gave it to me as maybe a Valentines gift. But other stuff came up & this book got pushed back on the shelf, with an old bookmark at the beginning of Chapter 28 (where Herriot fixes the TV for a client). Since I only remembered 3 chapters I read back in the late 1990s (cat wasting away because of a hairball, a breeched birth of a calf, & the "Herriot's Duct" found during cat spaying), I started over from the beginning. This ...more
"Every Living Thing is James Herriot's first new book of memoirs in over a decade, and from its opening pages our every expectation is fulfilled: We return in a twinkle to the green Yorkshire dales, to old friends and family, to that miraculous world of wonders great and small.

"It is a book aglow with the qualities that have made Herriot's other volumes such rare treasures: warmth, humor, drama, color, humanity. His tales of life as a country vet are rendered with skill, grace, and savor; they a
One of the reviews of this volume says that Herriot published 8 books. I'm a bit puzzled by the count. I know, for example, that there was a separate publication of Only One Woof, and I think another story (perhaps Judy the Nurse Dog?) was also published seperately. And of course, there's James Herriot's Yorkshire. I suppose that does make 8--but I'm not sure of the other single story.

Where The Lord God Made Them All several times overtly quotes a journal (reinforcing my belief that Herriot rout
If you're an animal lover you have probably heard of James Herriot. But on the off chance you haven't, he's a veterinarian that practiced in England in the mid nineteen-hundreds. And he was an animal lover himself, in addition to being a writer.

Every Living Thing is part of a series that chronicles Herriot's experiences as a vet. But it is not the type of series that you have to read in order. This book is a collection of short stories from Herriot's practice and can range from stories about hor
Every Living Thing gives us a glimpse into the modernizing of the veterinary profession from the perspective of someone who has been practicing since the late 1930's. It is an interesting look at history as the author compares the way things were done when he first began to how things are done in the 1950's, which is the time period that he focuses on in this book.

In addition to the historical education that is provided, we gain further insight into Herriot's caring and sensitive nature when car
I absolutely loved this book! :o) James Herriot is such a good writer. In an early chapter of the book, he manages to summarise his relationship with one of his assistants so well that at the end of the chapter I felt so nostalgic and was sad that the fellow had left the practice. Herriot does the same thing with another assistant, but describes their relationship throughout the book, leaving me with the same feeling of sadness that this person is no longer there.
I was also pleased to come acro
aaargghhh! January 2015 finished this book, end of an era!

I loved James Herriot right from the start, perfect bedtime reading ie short chapters, nothing too scary or complex to keep you awake.

Some stories are funny, some are sad all full of characters and are so descriptive you can almost smell the Yorkshire Dales.

Now Im going to have to find a new vet to read!
And so ends the 5-volume series loosely based on the life of veterinary surgeon Alf Wight,who wrote so beautifully and engagingly as James Herriot. His magnum opus-- arguably the least narcisisstic, most unselfconscious memoir of all time-- is brilliant. I hated to see these books end so much that I convinced my husband to detour through Yorkshire on our most recent trip to England for one last Herriot fix. We visited his surgery at Skeldale House in the market town of Thirsk (the inspiration fo ...more
Honestly, I think I enjoyed the first two (US Omnibus editions) Herriot books the very best, Right around the third, I started to notice scarcity of some of my beloved characters particularly the Farnon brothers and Mrs. Pomfrey. Where Herriot most sparkled was in those besotted gin-soaked bachelor days in the old drawing room at Skeldale house. Now Tristan is off being responsible and Siegfried is off being sensible, and even the beloved old house is abandoned as a place to live.

Perhaps it's me
I have never met a James Herriot book I didn't like, and Every Living Thing is no exception. His life as a country vet is endlessly entertaining! I love his gift for spinning a story that can make you laugh or cry in only the span of a chapter or two. I love to keep his books on my nightstand, to read alongside other novels.

Anyone who enjoys interesting characters and loves reading about animals should pick up this series... especially if you could use an uplifting break!
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • Forever Free: Elsa's Pride (Story of Elsa, #3)
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
  • A Cat Abroad
  • Three Singles To Adventure
  • The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • All My Patients Have Tales: Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (5 books)
  • All Creatures Great and Small