3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When a knight arrives on the king's orders to take over her father's keep and take her youngest sister as his wife, Bronwyn de Breton pretends to be her sister and agrees to marry this fearsome new lord.
Mass Market Paperback, 473 pages
Published October 5th 2010 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2010)

MelissaB
I really enjoyed this medieval romance with a Christmas-time theme. The lead characters were both likable, good people who find love together when they meet after the hero is sent to be the lord of the keep where the heroine lives. The hero lost an eye in an accident when he was younger, so he is a bit tortured about how people react to his physical appearance. The heroine does not care about his eye, she knows from personal experience that it's what inside a person that counts. I enjoyed the wr...more
Willow
DNF! D:

Gawd what a boring book. Maybe I have the attention span of a gnat (since everybody else loves this book except me) but there is no way I can struggle through three hundred more pages of this book. All these characters do is ponder on their insecurities, moon over each other, and talk, talk, talk. It makes me cranky.

First we have Ranulf, who is horribly scarred and is missing an eye with a flaccid eyelid. Yes Sinclair uses the word ‘flaccid’.

I happen to love beasty stories so my first th...more
Penny Watson
I saw this recommended as a "beastly" book...the hero has been badly burned in a fire, and he is missing an eye. And he refuses to wear an eye-patch...Mr. One-Eyed Bad-Ass! There is some great chemistry between the beastly hero and the heroine who is determined to protect her sisters and village. Ever since reading Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley, I have shied away from longer books. I am still traumatized by the never-ending KA saga--although the book was very entertaining, the length was hideou...more
Kari
Beautiful medieval romance, much better than I expected. This is my first book by this author and I really liked her style.
The H&h are both scarred and insecure. When they meet, sparks fly. Even though the story takes place in a timeframe of a few days, it doesn't feel rushed. We can see them falling in love and understand why it happens so quickly.
There is a lovely Christmas holiday feel to the book. The story takes place during Christmastide and we get small tidbits at the beginning of e...more
Gerrie
There were so many wonderful aspects to this book. First, it is set in a very interesting time. The young King Henry II and his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, have just ascended to the throne of England after decades of civil war. The author's historical research is impressive, and she weaves it seamlessly into the story. Ranulf, the hero, is close to Henry and one of his most valued military commanders. Ranulf is scarred, both physically and emotionally. He has just inherited a vast estate in Nort...more
Regan Walker
This is a great Medieval Christmas romance. Sinclair begins each chapter with a tradition of Christmastide or Twelfthtide (the 12 days of Christmas), as celebrated then, for a wonderful holiday touch.

Set in the 12th century, it's the story of Ranulf, a knight of King Henry II, who is scarred (literally and figuratively) as a result of his heroism of the past and shunned by most women. He is a warrior known for his feats of valor, but with the death of his father and cousin, he reluctantly is per...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
This is not a sappy historical romance. It is a very good story though. Bronwyn is strong willed and intelligent, and her husband Ranulf is honorable, brave and not used to kindness. Theirs is a true love. I loved it, great read!!
Sandy M
Michele Sinclair has created one of those romantic couples that I just love to read. A scarred hero who has buried his feelings and emotions so deep he never expects to love or be loved and a heroine who looks past those scars into his soul. And when they finally come together, the story only gets better.

Ranulf is a reluctant new nobleman, taking over when a cousin dies and King Henry bestows the title and land on him. We learn about Ranulf when the heroine’s father finally tracks him down and v...more
Lyndsey
What a wonderful story about the ugly duckling... this has to be one of my all time favorite historical romance books. In the Christmas Knight we meet Ranolf, a hardened solider with an obvious physical flaw who has recently become Lord of Hunswick against his will. To top it off, he is being forced to marry a daughter of the late protector of the keep. Unknown to him, one daughter waits at the keep that will love him for who he is and not what he appears to be. While there are several different...more
Desiree
Man am I exhausted after that read! While I think the story line was a good one, at times it felt like it was too wordy. I didn't think it would ever get going. But it did, thank goodness. While I liked the hero and heroine there were times (ok maybe lots of times!!) I wanted to shake them both until their teeth rattled! My goodness, her insecurities and uncertainty and him trying to make her jealous or tricking her into telling the truth drove me nuts! I hate that kind of stuff. Ugh While it wa...more
Sandy
This was a really great book! What an epic story that kept you engaged!! Had some great twists and turns, and I loved the way that each chapter started with an explanation of the 12 days of Christmas!! Now I'm off to find out if Edythe has a book of her own!
URGH! No book for her ... so annoying... they left that hanging!
Kathie (katmom)
This was a charming story. The little snippets of information at the beginning of each chapter added an enjoyable lesson to the fiction.

Now I need to read on to see if Lily and Edythe find their own HEAs.
Heather
1st couple of pages are a lil confusing.&i didnt even understand the italicized words on pg1.this book is already not what i thought it was.the guys disfigured &missing an eye.not that that matters,i like readin about the scarred war heroes somtimes,but the description didnt hint at ranulf bein like this at all.
they didnt even say what the guys name was on the back,so at the beginning of the book it took me a lil while to figure out who the main guy was.
"shrugged his chin." i wasn't awar...more
Danielle
When I saw that Sinclair had this book coming out, I was disappointed that it was not from her Highlander series (I think she must have gotten stumped with the stories for the twin brothers and I am nervous that she is taking a longer break or just flat out done with them *sniffle*) This story was fantastic.

Ranulf has had a hard life and his scared visage has made him a hard man and a very good commander for the new King Henry II. Ranulf is more or less forced to be lord of Hunswick by the king...more
Dianne

The Christmas Knight (Zebra Historical Romance)
Sinclair, Michele

“He loved, and was loved in return.”

I picked this novel up quite by chance and found myself ignoring everything around me as I devoured it. I have not read such an intriguing and character/relationship driven novel in quite some time.

This novel is about a Knight named Ranulf de Gunnar who has been ordered by his new King to take over Hunswick Castle. While on his boat trip back to the castle an accident occurs on the ship he is on...more
Readitnweep
For the first 3/4 of this book, I would have rated it a 3-1/2. I found both Ranulf and Bronwyn well developed characters and found it brave and honest of the author to have Ranulf, a warrior, have lost his eye. And I thought her way of having Bronwyn likewise scarred was a wise way to develop their bond.

But then, 3/4 of the way through, what had started out as an interesting story was ruined by Bronwyn stupidly leaving to get a tapestry. Could the author find no other way to have her meet up wit...more
Charlie Richards
I'm a sucker for historical Highland romances. It's been a while since I picked up one of Michele's books, but the mood struck me yesterday. I searched the internet to remember what her titles were, then I found one I hadn't read and bought it. I'm glad I did. And, yup, it kept me transfixed enough to where I read it in a day.

The plot is well developed and kept me turning pages, even well into the night. The characters, though not exceptionally deep, are well written and engaging. Bronwyn is the...more
Johanna
by Michele Sinclair

Genre: Historical Romance

Her Only Hope For The Season

With their father gone this Christmastide, Bronwyn de Breton and her two younger sisters are utterly vulnerable at unprotected Hunswick Castle. And their troubles are compounded when a fearsome knight arrives on the king's orders to take Hunswick as his own—and the youngest de Breton daughter as his wife.

Is A Man She's Never Met

Bronwyn would never let her little sister be forced to marry a man as rough an...more
Wendy
I have a new author to read. Really enjoyed this book. Really liked the explanations of the old English holiday Twelefthtide was explaned at the beginnning of each chapter. The author wove them into the chapter in some manner or other. The romance was not rushed as seems to be done in other books. Also the growth of both the male and female leads is given ample time. The is a lengthy read coming in at 473 pages.
The one one aspect that stopped me from giving this 5 stars was the constant referre...more
Cruth
A medieval Christmas story blending the traditional rituals of Twelfth Night with romance and understanding. The incorporation of little history lessons at the start of each chapter is really nice - I thoroughly enjoyed the excerpts. They weren't overly intrusive, but interesting, taking a fairly standard historical romance to a book that means Christmas.

I really liked this one. It's a clever, unusual story which ticks the boxed for genre expectations (including light and easy read). Sinclair gi...more
mad4rombks
Jul 07, 2014 mad4rombks marked it as to-read
Recommended on Amazon forum as an angsty read.
Patricia
I absolutely loved this book. I hedged in the first chapter whether or not to continue but I'm glad that I did. I love it when an author writes so well that you lose yourself in the story. The characters were well written, the storyline flowed wonderfully. I just couldn't put this book down once getting through the first chapter. This definitely will be a return read during the holiday season. A bonus is at the beginning of each chapter, imformation is given about the evolution of Christmas cust...more
Jen
The good news is that Christmas isn't a humongous part of the story, but the story takes place around Christmas. If you're a history nut, the beginning of each chapter will be fun to read. If you're a sucker for the scarred emotionally & physically hero and the under-appreciated heroine scenario, go ahead and pick this one up, you won't regret it! (view spoiler)...more
Wendy
Way too long for what this is supposed to be. The writing's poorly edited, the author is too eager to show off her British Christmas research at the expense of continuity, the story is predictable and drags on. If Ranulf "rakes his fingers through his hair" one more time...
[nb: this book was intended to serve as comically themed cross-country December roadtrip fodder, and it did its job well enough in that regard]
Nancy
Loved this book! Couldn't wait to get home from work this week and continue reading. Would like to give it a 4.5.I will definitely be looking into more books by this author! I would love to see Lily and Edythe get there own story, so we can see what happens when they meet the husbands that they have married by proxy. Or will Tyr decide he has to have Edythe for himself? We may never know. ;)
Damson
I enjoyed this book, on the whole and would recommend it. The historical facts about Christmas and the King add interest. The plot meanders a little in the middle and the number of times the heroine wanders into the hands of the arch enemy is a major annoyance. I also hate the cover. I would read the next books which are clearly set up in this story.
Marie
A great medieval story about a scarred knight inheriting from a distant cousin and the daughters of the knight who comes to Normandy to find him and the interaction of the girls with him and his retinue. Lots of twists and turns and a neighbor who is not pleased with the new lord's presence. A very surprising ending.
Michelle
Not a bad book..loved the heroine but the hero was not to my taste.Very non approachable through the book which is probably due to his facial disfigurement.Projected strength on the outside but very insecure inward.Overall fairly good.Would read it once but not a book i would want to read over again.
Franca
Very good, almost pulled an all nighter on this one, loved H/H and the story as a whole, had a strong romance and well balanced storyline.
Shanna Trim
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the McTiernay Brothers books, but it was OK. I probably would have enjoyed it more, but the ending ruined it a bit for me.

"Wife, you totally killed that a-hole. Let's get busy!"

Yeah, no. Not sexy.
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • A Highlander for Christmas
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • A Highlander for Christmas (Children of the Mist, #5)
  • Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1)
  • Lord of Danger
  • Return of the Rogue (Sinclare Brothers, #1)
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • My Wild Highlander (Highland Adventure #2)
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Jingle All The Way
  • Maiden and the Monster
  • A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1)
  • The Trouble With Highlanders (The Sutherlands #2)
  • Land of Dreams
  • A Christmas Ball (Includes: Nvengaria, #4)
In need of a creative outlet, I began writing novels after my second child was born. A voracious reader of romance books and a constant dreamer of romantic plots, I was encouraged to put my ideas to paper. I soon found out I loved it...all of it!

I am a member of the Romance Writers of America and of the Georgia Romance Writers.

In addition to writing historical romance novels, I also build large HO...more
More about Michele Sinclair...
The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1) To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2) Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3) Tempting the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #4) Seducing the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #5)

“Didn't she know that she would always be the most beautiful woman he had ever seen,for she was the first to truly see him?” 3 likes
“Have you decided upon my character, or do you need more time?” 2 likes