Start by marking “Bear Stays Up for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Bear Stays Up for Christmas (Bear)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,301 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews

"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

How a SURPR

Published October 1st 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Stays Up for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Stays Up for Christmas

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
32nd out of 796 books — 1,106 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
4th out of 322 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Janie Johnson
Feb 15, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, aeverie2016
This is the second book for February that I read with my grandson Aeverie. Even though this was meant for Christmas we still enjoyed it a lot. This one is written in verse and the title is pretty self explanatory. The illustrations are done beautifully as well. A great read for the little ones at Christmas time.
Candice
Dec 02, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone knows that bears sleep through the winter, but Bear's friends do not want him to miss Christmas, so Bear does his best to stay up.

"He stands with a stretch
and a great big sigh.
'I hope I can make it.
I do want to try.'
'Don't worry,' squeaks Mouse.
Hare says, 'It's all right.
We'll keep you busy
all day and all night.'"

And keep him busy they do, with many of the traditional Christmas activities - getting and decorating a tree, baking, singing Christmas carols. This is a wonderful book to read
Joanna Marple
Oct 02, 2011 Joanna Marple rated it it was amazing
Some authors just have it – that ability to write stories in rhyme for young children that simply dance off the page and spill off the tongue with a tempo and fluidity that make them so easy to read aloud and so captivating for a child to listen to. Karma Wilson is one such author.

The scene is set – will Bear hibernate through yet another Christmas day, or will his faithful band of animal friends manage to keep him awake? Having read quite a few now in the Bear series, I, like all children, can’
Dolly
Dec 19, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Our girls really like this one. Once again, Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have come through with a fun story about Bear and his friends.

With a rhyming narrative, this story with a Christmas theme is fun to read aloud. And the pictures are charming - we love Bear's expressions. We really enjoy reading this book together and we've read it many times.

December 2015 update: We borrowed this book again from our local library to read with our two-year-old niece during her visit with my brother-in-law
Dana
Dec 13, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed reading this book, its got lovely cute illustrations, plus its a rhyming book which I enjoy and the children also do, because they can guess the last word at the end of the next sentence and become really involved in the story!

Its nice because this is not a typical christmas traditional book, so the story kept the children guessing and engaged. The story is about a bear who usually looks after all his friends and at christmas he is considering wether to hibernate or not.

Bear's
Shakita
Sep 20, 2012 Shakita rated it really liked it
Shelves: friends, christmas
This book was fun to read. All the animals convinced the bear to stay up for Christmas this year and it shows all the activities they did. You could ask the children why do they think bear slept through Christmas every year and introduce them to the word "hibernation." This book shows that the value of friendship and also shows you that when you treat others well, you will be trated well too. Bear made all his friends gifts while they were sleeping and didn't even notice Santa bringing him a gif ...more
Samantha Kerney
Dec 06, 2015 Samantha Kerney rated it really liked it
One of many “Bear” books by Karma Wilson, this picture book is great for the holiday season. Bear’s buddies try to keep him awake on Christmas Eve so that he can experience the festivities of Christmas. The only problem is that Bear is supposed to be hibernating. He is so very tired, and fights sleep throughout the entire book. Readers experience hilarious events and plot twists throughout the story, keeping them engaged. This book is perfect for a younger group of students due to its predictabi ...more
Michelle McBeth
Aug 26, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
SUMMARY: Bear should be hibernating, but he is determined to stay up to spend Christmas with his friends. His friends will keep him busy to keep him awake they say. They go tree hunting, trim the tree and put up their stockings. Bear is wide awake now while his friends fall asleep. This gives him time to do some of his own preparations for Christmas Day.

ILLUSTRATIONS: As always, I love love love the endearing illustrations and fun little details.

REVIEW: How does a bear who should be hibernating
Malissa
Dec 21, 2015 Malissa rated it it was amazing
This is a special book for me because I adore this entire series and I am pretty sure that while my children throughly enjoy this book I really bought it just for me, haha. The illustrations are gorgeous and just wonderful to look at and get lost in and the story. Ah, I love this story. The story of Bear and his wonderful group of friends. The narrative is rhyming and another lovely one to read out loud to your youngest children. I adore the feeling in this book. The knowledge that this group of ...more
Hanna
Dec 02, 2015 Hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aivan ihana tarina ja upeat kuvat!
Angie
Dec 12, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear awake for Christmas! So they wake Bear up and have him help them find a Christmas tree, bake cakes, hang up stockings, and sing Christmas songs. Bear stays up -- by discovering that giving is one of the best Christmas presents!

How a SURPRISE visit from someone very special gives Bear and his friends a Christmas to remember makes an enchanting holiday story for young readers. With Karma Wilson's memorable text and Jane Chapman's glowing illust
Hope Gockenbach
Bear is woken up by his friends on Christmas Eve. They complained that he missed Christmas last year and that he has to stay up for it this year. He is sleepy form being woken up from such a deep sleep, but he does his best to stay up. The story talks about all the activities that his friends have him do that are Christmas related to try to keep him awake. He does all the activities but is constantly almost about to fall back asleep. Eventually, all his friends go to sleep that night, but he kno ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Bear is hibernating for the winter but his friends wake him for Christmas. Will Bear be able to stay up? With the help of his friends---maybe.

Cute illustrations. I love how the friends come together to do something special for a friend.
Heidi
Jan 11, 2010 Heidi rated it it was amazing
We love these! Every kids book should have such a catchy rhyme pattern.

1/11/10: And today we just read the new one: Bear Feels Scared. Also great! (Others in the series: Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, Bear Feels Sick...)
Richard Ross
Dec 23, 2014 Richard Ross rated it it was ok
Our fourth Bear does whatever book and we're done. I can recite Bear Snores On verbatim; my son loves it. The rest are formulaic, mostly pointless, and boring.

A bear "snoring on" - despite the chaos in his den - is interesting precisely because we know the bear won't keep snoring on. He will wake up and, presumably, start eating critters. The fact that he doesn't only makes it more interesting.

But where's the intrigue in hearing about a bear who "stays up"? Oh no, he might fall back to sleep!!
Haley  *all systems go, the sun hasn't died*
My brother and I loved this story as kids, as well as Bear Snores On. So adorable. Highly recommend.
Karen
Aug 09, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Karma Wilson's "Bear" books early on in my years as a children's librarian. They are a joy to read out loud, either to an audience of one or thirty. The rhythm, meter and word choice is always perfect. And there is always a "heart-tug" moment. Karma Wilson paints with her words: every one is needed, not one is wasted. In this book, Bear takes time away from his hibernation to give his friends a special surprise at Christmas. He succeeds, but he, also, is surprised.

Jane Chapma
Karen Tuttle
Dec 20, 2015 Karen Tuttle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A winter winner with my Grandkids

I have had this book on my kindle for one week and have read at least twice each day. The kids love hear and the illustrations are wonderful and enhance the story. The written story just moves and flows with a sign song cadence that is easy to read and hear. I will be looking at other bear books.
Sheri
Dec 29, 2014 Sheri rated it it was amazing
I love the Bear series and the kindness of Bear with his forest friends. Good read alouds with some rhyme to elementary school children. Bear must help his friends prepare for Christmas this year instead of hibernating and does but falls asleep at the end. Cute Christmas themed book for gift giving to children, too.
Katie
Dec 30, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book about Christmas, especially if you have a child that understands that bears hibernate in the winter and would normally be asleep through Christmas (my little one is too young to get that point, but still a good book). As always, the illustrations are ADORABLE
QNPoohBear
Jan 04, 2016 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
I liked the simple rhyming text and the bright illustrations in this sweet picture book. I especially loved the Christmas eve secrets and spotted the surprise right away. I didn't hear any feedback on this book from the nieces and nephews but I really liked it.
Brandyn
Dec 10, 2014 Brandyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brett
I liked when the bear and his friends decorated the tree. Also I liked when Santa Clause came and bear was surprised. Bear gave his friends some presents from Santa Clause. I also liked when Bear's friends made him a quilt and then Bear went asleep. The End
Judy
Mar 06, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Once again, Karma Wilson has written a story about friendship, which also teaches something about nature. As always, the kids like to find the animals on each page, and in this story we can talk about why it's so hard for bear to stay awake.
Erin K
Mar 28, 2016 Erin K added it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great, repetitive book that chronicles some friends trying to help the bear stay up for Christmas. One phrase is used throughout, and it would be a great introduction to a writing project where students do the same.
Meagan
Nov 11, 2015 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is another great volume from this author-illustrator duo. The rhyme is excellent, the illustrations are perfect, and the story has a great message. I hope my son enjoys the other Bear books as much as this one b
Cathy
Dec 12, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: previous books
"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

Colby
Dec 13, 2015 Colby rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute story, and my kids have both enjoyed having it read to them. The illustrations are great, and the story has a great rhythm and pace. Loads of fun and a great family read.
Sarah Adamson
A fun winter time and Christmas book about animal friends who wake up their bear friend to enjoy the winter season and Christmas. Good fun, great early reader words and gorgeous illustrations.
Ponytaorponyboy
Denise
Mar 23, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This author does an excellent job capturing the joy of the holiday season, demonstrating the love between friends, and sharing the gift of thoughtfulness.
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Dream Snow
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (10 books)