Start by marking “Gospel Doctrine: Sermons & Writings of Joseph F. Smith” as Want to Read:
Gospel Doctrine: Sermons & Writings of Joseph F. Smith

Gospel Doctrine: Sermons & Writings of Joseph F. Smith

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews

President Joseph F. Smith was so long in the public service of the Church that his published sermons and writings would fill many volumes. The difficult problem of the compilers of this volume has been to make a collection of extracts that would do full justice to the man and that, at the same time, could be contained in a volume of moderate size. Every reader who knows Ch

Published January 1st 1999 by Deseret Book (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Gospel Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel Doctrine

Heather
Mar 24, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Great book! President Joseph F. Smith teaches some of the plain, simple, and important truths of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I am grateful for his faith and testimony in words and action. I love the topics he covers, especially revelation, free agency, obedience, marriage--the home and the family, love your enemies, education, and eternal life. The gospel is true!

Some of my favorite quotes:

"After we have done all we could do for the cause of truth, and withstood the evil that men have b
Shad
Mar 04, 2009 Shad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have ever read. President Smith was an amazing man and orator. His wisdom, revelation and simple explanations of doctrine are invaluable.
John
Sep 04, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-reads
That's right. I read Chapter 1, then I gave it 5 stars. Reason? An abundance of truth. Almost every sentence can be engraved on any plaque. Now, that's legit.
Ramona McConkie
Dec 21, 2015 Ramona McConkie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for this prophet has grown many-fold. What a strong, valiant, unyielding man of faith. His own words speak "volumes" about his character.
Apr 15, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sped
Beef! It's what's for dinner. This book is loaded to the hilt with the absolute sound scholarly teaching that dispels darkness.
Sep 13, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Download from LDSaudio.com, length of recording was 16 hrs 18 min.

Read this book around 11/8/07
Rex
Jan 28, 2008 Rex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
A good resource for his extensive teachings. Some of the writings are dated and a little conservative.
Heather
Jan 18, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-general
Very informative, I learned things I didn't know!
Russ
Of course it was awesome
Watson
Watson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Trevor Bluemel
Trevor Bluemel is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Mabi
Mabi marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Glorioso A.
Glorioso A. marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Darin Heckel
Darin Heckel marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Nathaniel Carpenter
Nathaniel Carpenter marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Brendan Cannon
Brendan Cannon is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Pam S. 83
Pam S. 83 rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Danika
Danika marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Gerry Cragun
Gerry Cragun rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Paul Scott
Paul Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
IRENE
IRENE rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
ScottandColleen Percival
ScottandColleen Percival marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Mae Pasiga
Mae Pasiga rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 1: 1995-1999 (Hardcover)
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • The House of the Lord: A Study of Holy Sanctuaries Ancient and Modern
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
Joseph Fielding Smith, Sr. was the sixth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He was the last president of the LDS Church to have personally known the founder of the Mormon faith, Joseph Smith, Jr., who was the brother of his father Hyrum Smith.
More about Joseph F. Smith...

“We believe in all truth, no matter to what subject it may refer. No sect or religious denomination [or, I may say, no searcher of truth] in the world possesses a single principle of truth that we do not accept or that we will reject. We are willing to receive all truth, from whatever source it may come; for truth will stand, truth will endure.” 2 likes
“Some subjects are in themselves, perhaps, perfectly harmless, and any amount of discussion over them would not be injurious to the faith of our young people. We are told, for example, that the theory of gravitation is at best a hypothesis, and that such is the atomic theory. These theories help to explain certain things about nature. Whether they are ultimately true cannot make much difference to the religious convictions of our young people. On the other hand, there are speculations which touch the origin of life and the relationship of God to his children. In a very limited degree that relationship has been defined by revelation, and until we receive more light upon the subject we deem it best to refrain from the discussions of certain philosophical theories which rather destroy than build up the faith of our young people. . . .

There are so many demonstrated, practical, material truths, so many spiritual certainties, with which the youth of Zion should become familiar, that it appears a waste of time and means, and detrimental to faith and religion to enter too extensively into the undemonstrated theories of men on philosophies relating to the origin of life, or the methods adopted by an All-wise Creator in peopling the earth with the bodies of men, birds and beasts. Let us rather turn our abilities to the practical analysis of the soil, the study of the elements, the productions of the earth, the invention of useful machinery, the social welfare of the race, and its material amelioration; and for the rest cultivate an abiding faith in the revealed word of God and the saving principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which give joy in this world and in the world to come eternal life and salvation.

Philosophic theories of life have their place and use, but it is not in the classes of the Church schools, and particularly are they out of place here or anywhere else, when they seek to supplant the revelations of God. The ordinary student cannot delve into these subjects deep enough to make them of any practical use to him, and a smattering of knowledge in this line only tends to upset his simple faith in the gospel, which is of more value to him in life than all the learning of the world without it.

The religion of the Latter-day Saints is not hostile to any truth, nor to scientific search for truth. "That which is demonstrated, we accept with joy," said the First Presidency in their Christmas greeting to the Saints, "but vain philosophy, human theory and mere speculations of men we do not accept, nor do we adopt anything contrary to divine revelation or to good common sense, but everything that tends to right conduct, that harmonizes with sound morality and increases faith in Deity, finds favor with us, no matter where it may be found.”
0 likes