Start by marking “Gospel Doctrine: Sermons & Writings of Joseph F. Smith” as Want to Read:
Gospel Doctrine: Sermons & Writings of Joseph F. Smith

Gospel Doctrine: Sermons & Writings of Joseph F. Smith

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  8 reviews

President Joseph F. Smith was so long in the public service of the Church that his published sermons and writings would fill many volumes. The difficult problem of the compilers of this volume has been to make a collection of extracts that would do full justice to the man and that, at the same time, could be contained in a volume of moderate size. Every reader who knows Ch

Published January 1st 1999 by Deseret Book (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Gospel Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel Doctrine

Heather
Great book! President Joseph F. Smith teaches some of the plain, simple, and important truths of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I am grateful for his faith and testimony in words and action. I love the topics he covers, especially revelation, free agency, obedience, marriage--the home and the family, love your enemies, education, and eternal life. The gospel is true!

Some of my favorite quotes:

"After we have done all we could do for the cause of truth, and withstood the evil that men have b
Shad
This is one of the best books I have ever read. President Smith was an amazing man and orator. His wisdom, revelation and simple explanations of doctrine are invaluable.
John
That's right. I read Chapter 1, then I gave it 5 stars. Reason? An abundance of truth. Almost every sentence can be engraved on any plaque. Now, that's legit.
David
Beef! It's what's for dinner. This book is loaded to the hilt with the absolute sound scholarly teaching that dispels darkness.
David
Audio Download from LDSaudio.com, length of recording was 16 hrs 18 min.

Read this book around 11/8/07
Rex
A good resource for his extensive teachings. Some of the writings are dated and a little conservative.
Heather
Very informative, I learned things I didn't know!
Russ
Of course it was awesome
Megan Gery
Megan Gery marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Ramona McConkie
Ramona McConkie is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2015
Brian Rieman
Brian Rieman marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Itai
Itai marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
David Miller
David Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Solomon Daniels Adjabeng
Solomon Daniels Adjabeng marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Wendi Erickson
Wendi Erickson marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 1: 1995-1999 (Hardcover)
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • The Promise of Discipleship
Joseph Fielding Smith, Sr. was the sixth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He was the last president of the LDS Church to have personally known the founder of the Mormon faith, Joseph Smith, Jr., who was the brother of his father Hyrum Smith.
More about Joseph F. Smith...
My Candid Opinion: The Sandwich Islands Diaries of Joseph F. Smith, 1856-1857 Gospel Doctrine; Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Joseph F. Smith ensinamentos dos presidentes da igreja Gospel Doctrine: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Joseph F. Smith Gospel Doctrine: Selections From The Sermons And Writings Of Joseph F. Smith

“We believe in all truth, no matter to what subject it may refer. No sect or religious denomination [or, I may say, no searcher of truth] in the world possesses a single principle of truth that we do not accept or that we will reject. We are willing to receive all truth, from whatever source it may come; for truth will stand, truth will endure.” 2 likes
“Some subjects are in themselves, perhaps, perfectly harmless, and any amount of discussion over them would not be injurious to the faith of our young people. We are told, for example, that the theory of gravitation is at best a hypothesis, and that such is the atomic theory. These theories help to explain certain things about nature. Whether they are ultimately true cannot make much difference to the religious convictions of our young people. On the other hand, there are speculations which touch the origin of life and the relationship of God to his children. In a very limited degree that relationship has been defined by revelation, and until we receive more light upon the subject we deem it best to refrain from the discussions of certain philosophical theories which rather destroy than build up the faith of our young people. . . .

There are so many demonstrated, practical, material truths, so many spiritual certainties, with which the youth of Zion should become familiar, that it appears a waste of time and means, and detrimental to faith and religion to enter too extensively into the undemonstrated theories of men on philosophies relating to the origin of life, or the methods adopted by an All-wise Creator in peopling the earth with the bodies of men, birds and beasts. Let us rather turn our abilities to the practical analysis of the soil, the study of the elements, the productions of the earth, the invention of useful machinery, the social welfare of the race, and its material amelioration; and for the rest cultivate an abiding faith in the revealed word of God and the saving principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which give joy in this world and in the world to come eternal life and salvation.

Philosophic theories of life have their place and use, but it is not in the classes of the Church schools, and particularly are they out of place here or anywhere else, when they seek to supplant the revelations of God. The ordinary student cannot delve into these subjects deep enough to make them of any practical use to him, and a smattering of knowledge in this line only tends to upset his simple faith in the gospel, which is of more value to him in life than all the learning of the world without it.

The religion of the Latter-day Saints is not hostile to any truth, nor to scientific search for truth. "That which is demonstrated, we accept with joy," said the First Presidency in their Christmas greeting to the Saints, "but vain philosophy, human theory and mere speculations of men we do not accept, nor do we adopt anything contrary to divine revelation or to good common sense, but everything that tends to right conduct, that harmonizes with sound morality and increases faith in Deity, finds favor with us, no matter where it may be found.”
0 likes