Start by marking “Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization” as Want to Read:
Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization

Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  455 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The world is growing smaller. Every day we hear this idea expressed and witness its reality in our lives-through the people we meet, the products we buy, the foods we eat, and the movies we watch. In this bold look at the cultural effects of a shrinking world, leading cultural theorist Arjun Appadurai places these challenges and pleasures of contemporary life in a broad gl ...more
Published 1996 by University of Minnesota Press

To ask other readers questions about Modernity at Large, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modernity at Large

Rozinul Aqli
Dec 25, 2011 Rozinul Aqli rated it it was amazing
His non-deterministic and non-reductive understanding of globalization is arguably a brilliant breakthrough in the study of globalization. Using his "scapes" framework, unlike many other theorists, Appadurai shows that globalization is not a monolithic phenomena but more of a multidimensional one. Globalization, in Appadurai's view, is not a linear wave that homogenizes different societies into single identity, but a multidirectional wave that stimulates localities to respond the growing global ...more
Jul 29, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is another formative book in my career as a grad student. Appadurai is often vague, and this is problematic to understanding the nuances of transnational identity, but his creation of the 'scapes' is an immensely useful set of concepts and travel outside anthropological literature quite well.
Arda Aghazarian
May 10, 2016 Arda Aghazarian rated it really liked it
From the Culture Studies notes:

Appadurai (1996):
- Reflects on the sense of nostalgia that is part and partial of what makes identity identity. The sense of longing for what we think we are and for how we would like to think of ourselves, makes identity appear elsewhere. We, in other words, are elsewhere. This absence is not only what shapes the relations between south vs. north, but also amongst ourselves: Our identity vs. how we would like to define our identity. It is not necessarily in land
John
Feb 04, 2014 John rated it it was ok
Globalization has been an inescapable part of both academic and mass media discourse in recent years. Everyone seems to be talking about the “flat earth” and the unprecedented interconnectedness of the globe. This increasing discussion of globalization has led to the popularity of global history as a specific field of historical study, as historians have explored past interconnectedness among states and nations.
With all the talk about globalization, however, there seems to have been little deco
Eitental
Aug 16, 2016 Eitental rated it liked it
I found this book quite frustrating, as its subject matter is absolutely fascinating but the exact meanings of Appadurai’s arguments are frequently obscured behind social science jargon and casual references to other theorists. If you have a strong background in anthropology or sociology, this may not be an issue. But for laymen and students of other disciplines, this will render large segments impenetrable.

Further reducing this work’s appeal for non-specialists is the fact that many of Appadur
Kent
Jan 27, 2014 Kent rated it it was ok
While Appadurai tries to give clear arguments to why the world is different today than in the past, and does so through the lens of cultural realities (and not politics or economics), the end result is a book that reads without coherence. It is very difficult to tie Appadurai's thoughts and theoretical framework (much of which he invents through new terms) together even within each chapter. Bits and pieces of his analysis are intriguing-- especially his discussion of culture vs. cultural and foc ...more
Leonardo
Aug 23, 2016 Leonardo marked it as to-keep-ref
Shelves: world-order
Arjun Appadurai también discute “la producción de localismo” en un modo consistente con el de Harvey y con nuestro argumento en Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1996), pp. 178-199.

Imperio Pág.41

...acerca de las falacias contemporáneas sobre las nociones de tradición e identidad de grupo, ver Arjun Appadurai: “Life after Primordialism”, en Modernity at Large (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1996), pp. 139-157.

Imper
mahatma
Apr 06, 2008 mahatma rated it really liked it
ini kumpulan esai. bagus-bagus.
pertama yang kubaca adalah esai terakhir [eh, bener gak ya? pokoknya bagian belakang lah..."the production of locality"]
ini esai yang mengubah pandanganku tentang lokalitas, yang semula aku anggap hanya muncul dibicarakan orang ketika ada kecemasan tentang hempasan modernitas global.
ternyata, demikian appadurai bilang, lokalitas itu konstruk yang selalu ada, selalu diciptakan, selalu dirawat sepanjang peradaban. karena penetapan lokalitas, penetapan kekhususan suat
Sil
May 27, 2008 Sil rated it it was amazing
ESte libro lo había leído hace mucho en Baires, en su versión en español. Nunca encontré de nuevo esa edición, parece agotada, y aquí en España, ni idea, directamente. (me pasa con varios que sé que están editados en México, por ej.)
Se lo encargué a mi suegra el pasado mes de marzo, para que lo buscara en Londres, y también resultó agotadísimo...
Y el mismo día que me enteré de esto, en un estante de la librería La Central del Reina Sofía (recomendable librería si vienen por aqui) lo vi, como esc
The Awdude
Dec 27, 2010 The Awdude rated it really liked it
I like this book because it doesn't proclaim the death of the nation-state so much as it charts why the nation-state's increasing superfluosness actually leads to its increased strength. The logic here, though Appadurai doesn't use psychoanalytic language, equates the nation-state to the emasculated phallocentric subject who feels compelled to assert his dominance in new and increasingly violent ways. The west is a trailer park of wife-beaters wearing suits who have learned how to read. But Appa ...more
John
Sep 07, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Perhaps a perfect encapsulation of 1990s theory on globalization, modernity, and the nation-state. Appadurai is maybe a little too certain that the n-s is on its last legs, but his concepts of the various "scapes" that heavily influence cultural formations around the world and his sense that imagination is a social fact are incredibly valuable. He also has a fantastic chapter on why consumerism is not the end of the capitalist cycle but instead is a contemporary form of labor that creates and sh ...more
Susanna
Nov 24, 2013 Susanna rated it really liked it
This book is really important for globalization theory and postcolonial studies. It is referred to frequently in later literature, and, in my opinion, often misremembered as being more optimistic than it really is. I think this is a text that you should read yourself, at least the first few chapters, and not take later critics' summaries as fair representations.

And then when you finish go read Appadurai's introduction to The Future as Cultural Fact. Then you'll know how he revised his theories l
Ervie
Sep 25, 2012 Ervie rated it really liked it
A post-colonial/transnational discourse where Appadurai explained the big roles of migration and media in the work of imagination, in which he extends Benedict Anderson's concept of imagined communities. He explored and developed it into what he calls diasporic public sphere and interprets it on the basis of the overlapping of different cultural flows/ scapes that eventually create a substitute to the nation-state.

Jason Williams
Nov 01, 2009 Jason Williams marked it as to-read
I read one chapter of this book--about the appropriation of English cricket in India--for a history seminar. It was an eye-opening introduction to the absolute overlapping between modernization and colonialism.

Now I gotta read the rest.
Erin
Apr 17, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
I read this for a Globalization class in grad school. Honestly, I didn't understand what he was talking about most of the time. The main theme is his idea of scapes. Umm, yeah.
Chris Antonsen
Aug 12, 2013 Chris Antonsen rated it really liked it
He was right, by the way. And the nation-state is on its way out. It may continue to look like it's the powerful unit of social organization, but it will not be.
Iben
Jan 03, 2015 Iben rated it really liked it
I can read the introduction and first chapter of this book again and again and always get something new out of it.
Gloss
This book bent my brain in two, turned it inside out, and realigned my politics forever.
Kristina
Mar 26, 2008 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection for modern anthropological literature.
Jerry
you know, i used to like this book a lot. hm.

aihwa/space
María Eugenia
Jul 27, 2008 María Eugenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
análisis excelente de realidades resemantizadas
Anna
Jul 29, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: anthropology
very intersting - the concept of his -scapes
Violet
Oct 16, 2008 Violet rated it it was amazing
I love the imaginary.
Midori
Midori marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Satheesha.N
Satheesha.N marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Iris Fan
Iris Fan marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Paul Sdaerdoog
Paul Sdaerdoog marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Janet
Janet is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Jc
Jc marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
  • Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography
  • The Forest of Symbols: Aspects Of Ndembu Ritual
  • The Location of Culture (Routledge Classics)
  • Anthropology as Cultural Critique: An Experimental Moment in the Human Sciences
  • Mimesis and Alterity: A Particular History of the Senses: A Particular Study of the Senses
  • Outline of a Theory of Practice
  • The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
  • Argonauts of the Western Pacific