Start by marking “Miss Potter: The Novel” as Want to Read:
Miss Potter: The Novel

Miss Potter: The Novel

A novel based on the upcoming motion picture on Beatrix Potter's life, starring Renée Zellweger as Beatrix Potter and Ewan McGregor as the man she loved. Written by the film's screenwriter, the novel expands the plotline of his script, blending historical fact and imaginative interpretation to tell a moving story of a Victorian woman who against the odds finds ...more
Published December 28th 2006 by Warne (first published November 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Potter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Potter

Jess Zahra
Reread in April 2015

description

One of my all time favourites - this is maybe the 4th time i've read it.
I grew up with Beatrix Potter's stories and I have always admired her stunning artwork - it only seems right that I picked this book up on an annual family holiday in the Lake District!

Beatrix Potter had such a restricted life style before she became an author and this novel records her progression from a very sheltered life to success and independence.. There is such an adorable romance, and yes,
Erin
Jan 07, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women with an emphasis on college age women.
This was a sweet instpirtaional tale of Beatrix Potter. It shined a light on an amazing woman and immediately had me working on my art. It was something like a coming of age story, with out the coming of age. I was completely wrapped up in this book and would dare to say I will read to the point of wearing it out a couple of times. I would not be surprised to find myself reading it when ever I have tough times to center myself.
Rachel
Nov 19, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
So cute, a lot better than the movie. There is so much more detail and she is just a cute character!
Martina
Apr 22, 2008 Martina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the Beatrix Potter stories.
I've always loved the Beatrix Potter stories, and this was a great book about her life. I also saw the movie, but I read the book first! ^^ A splendid story!
Nisah Haron
Apr 15, 2012 Nisah Haron rated it really liked it
I have watched "Miss Potter" the 2006-film many, many times. That movie even inspired me to go all the way to Lake District on my own last year. The film and the life of Beatrix Potter made me want to see what is Lake District all about.

I found this book yesterday. Not knowing that it has been written in conjunction with the film. But, this is not entirely a movie tie-in novels. This book filled the gap left behind by the film. There are lots of things that a film cannot 'expressed'. That is wh
Ima Vee
May 24, 2015 Ima Vee rated it it was amazing
It made me cry while on a boat from Ormoc to Cebu. Maltby's interpretation of Potter's biography is inspirational in all of its wholeness. It was heart breaking at that cruel point of Potter's life but her strength is very uplifting. It definitely encouraged me to never give up in aspiring in the field of writing.
Julia
Oct 31, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it
This little book was a delight to read, about the beloved author of the Peter Rabbit books. I had these books for my children growing up. Beatrix Potter lived a sheltered life with her well to do parents and had decided early on that she will never be married. She had great talent as a story teller and as an artist. She was encouraged to get her stories published and they of course, became quite popular.
Laura Verret
Nov 27, 2016 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-sale
A lovely little tale which captures the imagination of Beatrix Potter's own style in its recounting of her life. Full review to come later.
Gréta
Apr 11, 2013 Gréta rated it it was amazing
Richard Maltby Jr’s novel based on the motion picture of the same name is an interpretation of the fascinating life of the famous children’s author and illustrator Beatrix Potter. It follows her story from the circumstances of the publication of her first book portraying how she gradually grew to be a true artist and an independent woman.
Contrary to Victorian social expectation, Beatrix decides not to become someone’s wife for security, and as a spinster she spends her days living in her parents
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: me
Apparently this book started as the screenplay for the film (written by the author) and was then fleshed out and expanded into novel form. I liked this for a few reasons: It reminded me of many parts of the movie I had forgotten; It seemed really consistent with the film, which is unusual when it comes to book/film comparison, so I could really picture the cast in the roles (though I pictured some fairly distinct differences in my mind as well); It was a quick and interesting read without a lot ...more
Sandra
Feb 07, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Já vi o filme há algum tempo, mas ainda consigo imaginar, tal como se via no filme e na mente de Beatrix, todos aqueles animais a interagirem uns com os outros e com ela. O texto foi tipo o argumento para o filme, daí que ambos estejam muito próximos.

É, no fundo, a história de uma criança solitária que se refugiou na sua imaginação e aí aprendeu a viver feliz. Quando, anos mais tarde do que socialmente seria suposto, encontra o verdadeiro amor, aquele com quem pensa em algo (casamento) que estav
Anne
Sep 06, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book although I thought it was pitched at a teenager's level. The style definitely felt more script than prose but that only detracted slightly from its charm. Research is now required by me to determine how much fact there was over 'Hollywood'!
Kathleen Dixon
I didn't see the movie - I think it was because there were too many on at the time that I wanted to see - so when I saw this novel on a sale table I picked it up. It's an easy read, but quite delightful. Of course, I've always loved the Beatrix Potter stories, and have read them to my children, and will read them to my grandchildren.

The story of Beatrix Potter is quite likely romanticised, but even so it tells something of who the woman was. And after all, no harm is done - we always tend to en
Kataklicik
Dec 29, 2009 Kataklicik rated it really liked it
When I bought this book I didn't realise that it was written AFTER the movie. When I did realise it, I gave a huge inward groan because ehh, books made into movies usually end up terrible so imagine how a movie made into a book would fare...

But I was pleasantly surprised that the book, although a little simple and straighforward, is written quite well. Made me dig out my Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter, and true enough, Richard Maltby Jr has managed to cast a new light on Peter Rabbit and f
Margaret Chind
Jul 14, 2010 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Beatrix Potter
Recommended to Margaret by: Betsy
This was a book that I had the opportunity to read while visiting my sister in the spring after the birth of her fourth child. It is the novelization of the fairly recent movie Miss Potter and it is quite enchanting.

I quite enjoying going into the mind of Beatrix Potter and getting to know her and bits of her life a little bit better. There were some fully depressing points in life that I did not expect, but they are not entirely surprising and I was able to be sad with her and expectant with h
Adrienne
Nov 20, 2015 Adrienne rated it really liked it
We have the entire collection of Beatrix Potter's books and my kids love them, so when I stumbled across this book at the library, I was intrigued. I always like knowing the personal lives behind the art I enjoy. This was a quick and easy, light, enjoyable read. I was kinda confused by a couple erotic references, since this is a children's book that was first a PG movie. I'm an adult, so I can handle that without a problem, but I'm just not sure how or why they landed in this book. Anyway, a ...more
Mo
Apr 05, 2010 Mo rated it it was amazing
Boy am I sucker for unrequited romance! I started the book, watched the movie, then finished the book. The movie is great, but the book is definately worth reading. By reading the book, as always, character development is much richer and deeper. I could really appreciate why Beatrix acted the way she did. Norman was probably the first to really understand and appreciate her talents and didn't dismiss them as childish or excentric. Because her imagination was immense, the despair at her loss was ...more
Teri
Sep 28, 2014 Teri rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teri by: LaDonna
I LOVED this book. My understanding is the author wrote the screenplay and then wrote this novel, based on the screenplay. However he did it, I really enjoyed it. I did not know much about Beatrix Potter before reading it and found the character that was written quite charming. I could see myself reading it again. The book contains some pictures from the movie. I haven't watched the movie yet, but am quite looking forward to it now.
Tina
Feb 04, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Simply beautiful!!! This book influenced me so that I started drawing again, for awhile I was really lost but Beatrix made me realized everything has life in its own form. The Tale of Peter Rabbit was my first story book that my Aunt read it to me along with MR. Jeremy Fisher & other wonderful stories of Beatrix’s’. Up till now I didn’t know anything about the author “sadly” but thanks to this book & Richard Maltby Jr. I know now. I’m going to read this book over & over again for ...more
Shannon
Dec 28, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this after I saw the movie and became a little bit fascinated with the life of Beatrix Potter. What a life she lived! So inspirational yet heart breaking. I do intend to dig deeper into her life but this was a great quick read to show everyone just how great a woman she really was. It's a mixture of fact and fiction and is truly a delight for anyone who loved Peter Rabbit and co.
Inês
Aug 12, 2013 Inês rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantástico

O Mundo encantado de Beatrix Potter é terrivelmente encantador.

Richard Maltby leva-nos a conhecer uma mulher com uma imaginação prodigiosa, com a qual rimos e choramos em cada virar de página, sem nunca deixarmos a tentativa vã de nos conseguirmos equilibrar nessa linha ténue que divide a fantasia da realidade.
Amy
Feb 14, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I didn't grow up reading Peter Rabbit, but I sure wish I did; her illustrations are absolutely adorable. Sweet story and insight into Helen Beatrix Potter's life. Any of my Goodreads friends out there that may want to read this book, I will lend you mine because I was unable to get it through our library system; I bought it online.
Marika
Jul 10, 2012 Marika rated it really liked it

I grew up reading and loving Beatrix Potter and my mother was always a big fan of hers. This book was an enjoyable read and I loved the author's dramatization of her life. I was inspired to start drawing again after years of not drawing at all. I had to laugh after reading other reviews and realizing I wasn't the only one so inspired!
Sandra
I wasn't quite sure how to rate this book, while I was reading. It is a lovely little book and I liked this Miss Potter a lot. It seemed a bit too fairytale-y for me though. And then this book broke my heart. Which, of course, means 5 stars. And looking back on it.. I loved it, I really loved it. I don't know why I was doubting about a rating.
Soona Lee
There's always a story behind a story. Interesting how such a cute story of Peter Rabbit inter alia was borne out of loneliness. How things ironically turn out; including Beatrix and William! Sweet story; easy read.
Karschtl
Tells the story of how Beatrix Potter became a published and subsequently famous author of children books, and how she found her first, biggest and tragic love. Since Richard Maltby first wrote the screenplay to the movie with Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, it is very close to this movie.
Jamie
Mar 23, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
This is the novel based on the screenplay. If you know anything about Beatrix Potter you know this is not an entirely accurate account of her life. However, it was entertaining and very moving. The movie was also lovely.
Patricia
Apr 10, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, but it is an enjoyable, sentimental tale of the life of Beatrix Potter, adapted from the movie screenplay. Of course I pictured all the characters as those portrayed in the film. haha
Vanda
Sep 27, 2008 Vanda rated it really liked it
O livro está muito bom! Achei a história muito gira, muito interessante e está bem escrito. Houveram partes em que me ri mesmo em voz alta :D Acho que o autor conseguiu descrever muito bem os sentimentos e o estado de espírito da personagem principal.
Kelly
Jan 03, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
This book is not something I would usually read, but it' was very interesting. I enjoyed being able to read about Beatrix's life with some imaginative interpretations thrown in. It was a great way to see into the mind if an author as a story comes together. I highly recommend this book.
The Period Drama ...: Miss Potter 6 6 Jun 19, 2015 07:18AM
  • Dværgen fra Normandiet (Dværgen fra Normandiet #1)
  • A Sword in Her Hand
  • The Kiss Before Midnight
  • The Horror of Love: Nancy Mitford and Gaston Palewski in Paris and London
  • Smudge, The Little Lost Lamb
  • The Letters Of Evelyn Waugh
  • Our Betty
  • A Life in Letters
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Filipa de Lencastre
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • Built of Books: How Reading Defined the Life of Oscar Wilde