Start by marking “Peppers: A Story of Hot Pursuits” as Want to Read:
Peppers: A Story of Hot Pursuits

Peppers: A Story of Hot Pursuits

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In this evocative book, Wall Street Journal columnist Naj pursues his subject from Bolivia to New Mexico, interviewing growers, botanists, chefs, and doctors, even chronicling a long and acrimonious lawsuit that has raged around the use of the term "Tabasco." Illus.
Published July 27th 1993 by Vintage (first published June 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Peppers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peppers

Sesana
I think the real problem here is that I'm not a big fan of chili peppers. I don't normally let this bother me when I'm picking out books on food. I don't drink gin, but I remember reading a book a few years back about gin that was just riveting. Likewise, I was once bored by a book about chocolate, the one food that is to me the surest proof that God loves humanity. A really good book about food will overcome my personal tastes. This one didn't. Naj is not a bad writer, though more journalistic ...more
VeganMedusa
A light read, quite entertaining and interesting. I really want to go to Mexico now, or at least New Mexico or Louisiana, and visit the markets and try all those peppers. I also want to throw out our McIlhenny's Tabasco Sauce after reading how that company has hounded everyone who's tried to sell a tabasco sauce - they've essentially patented all tabasco sauces. But I won't because it's too good. But maybe next time we run out I'll look for something different. That company did not come out of t ...more
Mike
A re read.This book is a little old, so some of it seems a bit dated.Good history of the chili and how it spread around the globe and how different cultures have used chilis for culinary and other purposes.
One old wive's tale from India (I think) says to rub your penis with a chili/raisin paste if you want to impregnate an old lady.I'll stick with peppers on my plate.
Joseph Gendron
This is a wonderful book. I learned so much about chiles and how they are used in different cultures. It makes me want to sample, eat and grow more of this intoxicating fruit. I'm glad I live in a chile growing region, Nuevo Mexico!
Chadwick
Jun 30, 2007 Chadwick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies
Shelves: food
Good research, some interesting interviews, some nice-ish travel writing, but as a whole written in a somewhat cloying, smirky tone. Also, fairly dated as far as culinary trends are concerned.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
An interesting collection of information/trivia, but not helpful for someone looking for systematically organized information about how improve their selection of and cooking with chiles.
Robin
Robin added it
Jan 12, 2015
Tacorrific
Tacorrific marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Leonardo
Leonardo marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Cathleen
Cathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Aishe
Aishe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 24, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Adrianne Kartachak
Adrianne Kartachak marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Jay Shah
Jay Shah marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
E. Kahn
E. Kahn marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Tamar
Tamar marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Amal Naj was born in India and was educated there and at Queen's University in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He was on the staff of the Wall Street Journal for twelve years, and has reported from Pittsburgh and Detroit on the steel and automotive industries. He has since covered manufacturing technology and environmental issues from New York City.
More about Amal Naj...