Shadow Kiss (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Vampire Academy (Prebound))

Shadow Kiss (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #3)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  169,490 ratings  ·  7,139 reviews
FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Rose Hathaway knows it is forbidden to love another guardian. Her best friend, Lissa-the last Dragomir princess-must always come first. Unfortunately, when it comes to gorgeous Dimitri Belikov, some rules are meant to be broken . . .
Library Binding, 444 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Turtleback

Kristi
Incredible! This series continues to get better. This is one of the best vampire themed series’ out there. After my disappointment with other series’ losing there touch, I have to say that it is not the case with these books. Everything that initially drew me in is still there and then some. I’ve been in anticipation for this book for a long time, and when I finally got a copy it trumped everything else!

There were parts of the story that I figured out, and even though I wanted the novel to end...more
The Holy Terror
I think I have to assume that something devastating will happen in every series that Mead writes. With this one I was pretty much crying from the last 40 pages until the end. Talk about heartbreaking! I sort of saw what was going to happen coming but it didn't make it any less horrible. I'm actually still feeling the effects of this novel and I had to quickly order the next two books to find out what happens.

On the heels of the death of her friend, Rose finds out that she's going to start six w...more
Rose
Well holy shiiiiiiiiiit @ the end of this.
Courtney
Nov 12, 2008 Courtney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the twilight series
Shelves: teens, horror
Kat Kennedy
So far, Shadow Kiss is my favorite book in the series. Richelle Mead steps up her game on a number of fronts, in my opinion.

Plot, characterization, style, pacing and romance. All of these receive a marked improvement.

The VA world becomes more real, relatable and defined. The relationship become more involved, less childish and the main character, Rose, receives a healthy dose of adulthood.

I am coming to really enjoy these books. I wouldn't have continued past the first one without the encouragem...more
♔ Leah.
☆ ★ Spoilers ahead, you have been warned ☆ ★

I think this book kind of made me love this series because it went on a level that no other YA book went before and I was very happy about the fact that Richelle Mead took a risk, but looking back in hindsight at this series? I was wrong, terribly wrong but let’s save that for when I do reviews of Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice, shall we?

In Shadow Kiss, Rose is suffering the trauma of the Spokane incident and Mason’s death- which adds another twist: s...more
Jianne
Shadow Kiss is the third installment in The Vampire Academy Series and it is by far, my favorite book in the series! I mean, how can I not? It's so good!

Adele won 6 Grammy in the past Grammay's. What does she have to say about the book?

Adele approves!

Summary

Shadow Kiss continues the story of the main character, Rose Hathaway and her education in becoming a Guardian. Rose knows it is forbidden to love another guardian. Her best friend Lissa- the last Dragomir princess- must always come first. Un...more
Emily May

There's no denying it, I loved this third book in the series (probably best of all) and I finished it with all kinds of feelings and thoughts running through my head. The ending leaves the reader on such a cliffhanger and the fact that I am constantly being warned against reading book 4 just makes it all the worse. I want to know what happens... damn it, I NEED to know what happens. Can that possibly be it? (view spoiler)

I've com...more
Mitabird (reviews on BookLikes)
Shadow Kiss started off slow, but ended up being great. I really like how Ms. Mead takes things to a level where not everything has a happy ending. It has realistic qualities for being a young adult paranormal book. I felt Rose's pain and confusion as she struggled with what she had to deal with being "shadow kissed". I enjoyed her interactions with Lissa, Dmitri and Adrian. Even though I inadvertently knew a big piece of the story, it didn't happen as I envisioned. This book has a lot of heart,...more
Nov 05, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can handle it none of you twilight-happy ending people
what to say about this book... i just finished it and it was really good but some people will be very angry about it not to give too much away. and just to tell you rose does make a huge decision in this book and it's mind blowing. i liked it because it continued on in the infamous manner of the series not to give too much away. defiantly a must read series and it left a wide opening for the next book to be awesome. there's not really much to say i really liked it but it makes you sad just like...more
Bookables
I didn't really enjoy the first two books of the Vampire Academy Series but I adored this one! Shadow Kiss has a ton more action & I actually feel for the characters!
Rose is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite female characters. She is strong, smart and not taken lightly.
Lissa- I'm not really a huge fan of Lissa. I mean I like her don't get me wrong but I just feel like she could be more.
Dimitri- There's nothing more to be said.

This is very true.

Christian- I am beginning to like...more
Christy
This is the third book in the VAMPIRE ACADEMY series and I highly recommend you read the first two books before reading this one. I read all 400 plus pages of this book in one day ~ it grabbed my attention from the very first and I could not put it down. Intense, suspenseful and full of shocking surprises ~ I can't wait until the next book is released!

Euryanthe
Oh god... Dimitri... I can't even... That ending!

Pretty much took off a star because I was disgusted with how Rose treated Adrian in the end. No matter how hurt you are it doesn't give you the right to use people in such a way. What a fucking bitch she is sometimes.

Apart from that thing, this was the best one so far. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Dan
Let me express my feelings of this book by using this gif

description

That pretty much sums up my feelings for this book.
Lissa Smith
This series just keeps getting better and better. I must say I for one shed a few tears. I was shocked by the outcome, In the last chapter, Rose makes a huge decision, which leads the series into a direction I would have never anticipated, I definitely didn’t see it coming. Overall, this is a really good book and a great addition to the Vampire Academy series.
J.m. Darhower
So, okay. It's been two days since I read this and I'm still trying to process what happened in it.

(view spoiler)...more
Ronda
This is the 3rd Vampire Academy book that I've read and the 3rd Richelle Mead book.... either way, it's not my last!

Leaving book 2 and venturing onto book 3, I wanted to see what was going to happen with the characters that I slowly came to love... What I didn't expect was to have my feelings trashed!!! I have been on such a journey with Rose, she is fast becoming one of my favourite leading ladies and one that my heart will be permanently etched to.

This book had me rushing in places, eager to f...more
I fell into this book so thoroughly that I both wanted and dreaded the ending. So frustrating! I want the fourth book to be out now and it's killing me that I have to wait until August.

Mead continues to weave a complex tale with excellent characters. The stakes keep getting higher and her characters are never quite perfect but always enthralling. The dialog, pace and plot are perfect and everythnig spirals out to the end.

SPOILERS BELOW
I kind of anticipated what...more
Liz*
2/4/2014

Buddy (re)read with my smart friend Yani just to hold her hand whenever she needs it.

Mrs Mead, why can they just be happy?? why?
Juliet had it easy...

Damn it. This was amazing. Still my favorite in the series.

I think the dynamics Christian/Rose and Adrian/Rose were one of the best things of the story. Obviously, the cabin scene was still amazing but what about Christian and Rose teaming up to fight Strigoi? Man, that was epic.

The whole thing took under a minute. Christian and I exchange...more
Mass
Al terminar el libro lo primero que hice fue:

description

¿En serio? ¿Dimitri? De tantos personajes en el mundo, Dimitri tuvo que ser, ¿no? Perfecto, simplemente perfecto.

Lo que más me encantan de estos libros es que Richelle hace que las cosas ordinarias y aburridas sean las más interesantes, los personajes son demasiados realistas, milagrosamente Rose no se vuelve más estúpida en cada libro.

«Yo no te dejare sola en esto, no importa que pase. Tú tienes que saber que yo nunca te abandonaré».

Dimitri... ah......more
Cora Linn
5 Words: NO! NO, NO, NO, NO!

That ending. Just... No. Please. No. Come back :'(

This was probably the most action pack book of the series so far for me. The pace was pretty incredible and it was just one after another. But in a good way.

I didn't like how Rose and Lissa seemed to be slipping away from each other. I understand it, but they're BFFs 4EVA.

I wasn't really sure about the introduction of ghosts, but at the same time I can't wait to see how it's developed as the series progresses. And Maso...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

"Rose Hathaway?"
Someone elbowed me, like maybe I didn't recognise my one name. Swallowing, I stood and walked down the bleachers, robotlike. There was a mistake. There had to be a mistake.

Better and better as they go, Richelle Mead's Shadow Kiss really hit my expectations of this hyped series. Filled with heart wrenching twists and unexpected sacrifices, and an astonishing cliffhanger tops it off, ruining my 'meh-ness' to this series. Shadow Kiss left me...more
Renee
Typos aside...this book is the strongest in the whole series and strong enough to stand up on its own. Where the previous ones were mostly character building, this one actually has a story.

A word on typos, why is it that I'm getting this annoying feeling that typos and YA novels are quickly becoming synonymous with each other?? Is it now the popular thing to do? Spellchecker doesn't exist on your tablet anymore?? Maybe I need to write a book and make as many typos as I can 'get away' with, I'll...more
Booknut
And I'm lying on the cold hard ground!

Q: How does Taylor Swift's catchy song apply to me reading Shadow Kiss?
A: Because I knew there was trouble when I walked in.

Lol, jokes - I knew there was trouble the moment that weird psychic lady was like, "You will lose what you treasure the most!" Because it would be horribly convenient if the book didn't end in a heart-wrenching cliffhanger, now wouldn't it?!

I was just...shattered.

Broken.

And the saddest fear...comes creeping in. That my OTP is doomed...more
Sarah Kelsey
I'm a little over half way through, and I must note that this book contains a Jane Austen rip-off. I haven't decided whether I'm annoyed or amused by that, but I'm leaning toward annoyed. I think I'd be more lenient if the author had at least mentioned a character reading Pride and Prejudice somewhere prior to the tense conversation between the heroine and the snooty vampire queen, a near duplicate of the showdown between
Lady Catherine de Bourg and Elizabeth Bennet. Considering the two incredibl...more
Its Spelt
I love this book HATE the ending but love the book none the less
Rhianna
After the tragedy of Frostbite, Rose and her friends are coping as best they can. Bearing her first molnija marks might be a bit of a status symbol but their earning was bittersweet. As her final months at St. Vladimir's begin winding down the guardians are facing their field experience testing. They'll be facing weeks of practice guarding their Moroi classmates from their instructors pretending to be Strigoi. Expecting to be paired with Lissa, Rose's field experience should be easy. But when sh...more
Yodamom
Dimitri and Rose, lust, love and romance are off the board for them. Duty comes first it is the way things are. The Royals are to be protected, the guardians don't get to care about each other. That is all they know, all they believe, and everything that is expected. Not, all are happy with this level of submission. Powers are being questioned, controls be tested and perhaps a new old way to survive even.

Holy crispy tatter tots, What an ending ! I was sniffling many times, loosing my hope and my...more
Cathy
Her best book so far. More substantive (and longer) than the first 2 in the series or her other works, despite being classified as a Young Adult book. Her heroine faces some very serious challenges and does a lot of growing up in this one. Good adventure, great characters.
Sarah (saz101)
OH. MY. WORD.
I’m stunned.
Breathless.
Heartbroken.
... and... well, not speechless, obviously—I’m writing this—but struggling to find words. Shadow Kiss is shocking, exciting, and completely and utterly brilliant. Lots of people have said Vampire Academy really hits its stride come book 3. They were right.

My Thoughts Proclamation Of Adoration:
Wow oh wow. Whatever I was expecting from Shadow Kiss, it wasn’t this. Rarely is fiction THIS. GOOD. It delivers in so many ways I don’t quite know where to s...more
Dimitri or Adrian. 155 566 Jul 12, 2014 02:55AM
Who likes Adrian? 144 389 Jul 07, 2014 09:43AM
Addicted to YA: Shadow Kiss 11 251 Jun 21, 2014 08:01PM
FROSTBITE MOVIE PETITION 1 11 Jun 06, 2014 07:30PM
Nothing but Readi...: Revamped Discussion: Mead, Richelle; Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy #3), Start Date:April 10th, 2014 25 154 May 22, 2014 02:30AM
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • Vampire Academy: The Ultimate Guide
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f...more
More about Richelle Mead...
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)

20 trivia questions
9 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“You will lose what you value most, so treasure it while you can.” 2430 likes
“What's up?" I asked.

You tell me," he said. "You were the one about ready to start making out with Adrian."

It was an experiment," I said. "It was part of my therapy."

What the hell kind of therapy are you in?”
2419 likes