Start by marking “Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Bring new power and purpose to the study of literature with innovative tools and strategies that deepen students’ understanding of literary elements and help them apply that understanding to their reading as well as their writing. Rich, original passages illuminate the intricacies of character, setting, point of view, and theme, and deeply engaging activities framed by inq...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Scholastic Teaching Resources (Theory an

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements

Diary of a Freedom Writer by Darrius GarrettTeaching Adolescent Writers by Kelly GallagherTeaching for Joy and Justice by Linda ChristensenThe Reading Zone by Nancie AtwellReading, Writing, and Rising Up by Linda Christensen
Best Books for English Teachers
13th out of 87 books — 29 voters
The First Days of School by Harry K. WongThe Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
books for teachers, educators
304th out of 388 books — 338 voters

More lists with this book...

Rhonda
I missed most of the book club discussions on this book over at the EC Ning, unfortunately. Now that I have the time to read through, I've found this book to be extremely useful and well presented. Wilhelm and Smith provide a sound rationale for their methods AND they provide excellent tools that are ready to use in the classroom.

The past few weeks my students and I have been exploring the section on character and we are enjoying animated and purposeful discussions while students learn how to su...more
Nick
I'm slightly disturbed at how many teachers docked this book stars based on the "theory" and "dull forewords".

The foreword anecdotes are a little tiresome, if only because they occur so often in this type of book, but the theory/background/research bits of the book are essential to the activities/"the usable stuff". It'd be understandable to dismiss these sections out of familiarity (I assume you do value transfer of knowledge and skill, is anyone teaching "character" for "character"'s sake? I...more
Claudia
I have forgiven these authors for publishing a book about reading in that state of flow that happens when you lose track of time and place...I have. I was going to write a book of my own on the same subject... Now they've stolen another one of my ideas of really digging into the study of literary elements...I am in awe and in envy.

This provides both the theoretical underpinnings for the work, and the actual examples to use in the classroom. Concentrating on character and theme and setting will w...more
Erin
Smith and Wilhelm have good ideas that I know my students will embrace. I'm looking forward to trying some of their suggestions in the fall.

However, at times I found this book to be incredibly tedious. I often found myself skimming along in the theory sections so I could get to the practical parts of the book. While explanations and rationales are important, they went a bit overboard.

Also, I understand that sometimes links included in books become outdated, but there is absolutely NO reason wh...more
Newengland
Good stuff. Excellent practical, road-ready ideas - to - theory ratio. If you struggle teaching literary analysis and teach anywhere from grades 6 to 12, Wilhelm's inquiry approach to teaching character, setting, point of view, and theme is just the ticket. I'm test driving the character unit even as I speak (uh, type -- or whatever) and it's scoring high marks from that tough audience I call my students.
Donalyn
Great, practical ideas and lessons, along with the theory to support these ideas. Just my kind of professional development! I have already used the characterization unit ideas with my sixth graders, and I can tell you that they work. Wonderful scaffold into higher literary analysis and thinking about text.
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
Lots of suggestions for how to make these elements feel relevant for students. I especially appreciate their attention to transfer of skill. This book left me thinking about how I could use the activities here in ways that are meaningful and thorough.
Rikki
Might be useful for older students, but the first read through of the info was way over my head. It's going to take some intense study to pick apart the authors' ideas into something understandable for my students.
Danica
Some really good activities in this book that I want to try incorporating in my classroom; however, some of the explanations and processes used for preparing students were lengthy and a bit confusing.
Sara
Starts out pretty boring--I skipped a lot of the theory and went to the practical application chapters! Overall, it just wasn't as innovative or helpful as I thought it would be.
Kerry Kiley
Dull. It may be good for a new teacher,and to keep old teachers like me, to remember what,s important. However, nothing shockingly new or ground breaking.
Jeri
Have only read the first chapter so far, and already have some good, practical ideas to use with students in fall!
Miss Leacock
Jan 22, 2014 Miss Leacock marked it as to-read
This book is worth the price just for chapter 1 -- so thankful for the authors' philosophies.
Stefani
The more I go back and reread this to pull lessons, the more I love it.
Stacey
Thought it was a bit high-brow, especially for my sixth grade students.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Gaijinmama
Gaijinmama marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Swan Like
Swan Like marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Stephanie Mitchell
Stephanie Mitchell marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Heather Walker
Heather Walker marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Josh Stock
Josh Stock marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Write Like This
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Falling in Love with Close Reading: Lessons for Analyzing Texts--And Life
"You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series ) Engaging Readers & Writers with Inquiry: Promoting Deep Understandings in Language Arts and the Content Areas With Guiding Questions Action Strategies For Deepening Comprehension: Role Plays, Text-Structure Tableaux, Talking Statues, and Other Enactment Techniques That Engage Students with Text Improving Comprehension with Think-Aloud Strategies: Modeling What Good Readers Do Get It Done!: Writing and Analyzing Informational Texts to Make Things Happen