Start by marking “I Have Waited, And You Have Come” as Want to Read:
I Have Waited, And You Have Come

I Have Waited, And You Have Come

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The world has been ravaged by climate change and Rachel is left to fend for herself. Living amid a clutch of disparate communities whose inhabitants she avoids, she rarely ventures beyond the safety of the storm wall. When Jez disturbs her twilight existence, Rachel finds herself somewhere between stalking and being stalked.
Paperback
Published November 2006 by Myriad Editions

To ask other readers questions about I Have Waited, And You Have Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have Waited, And You Have Come

Janette Fleming
Jun 21, 2013 Janette Fleming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bleak prediction of the consequences of rising sea levels, McDonagh's book is set in a nightmare vision of Cheshire in the not-too-distant future: "When we first came here the golf course was a progression of green velvet swirls. Later it became the makeshift burial ground for the first wave of victims."

Rachel lives alone in a semi-fortified mill, where she is subject to the attention of a sinister stalker, who makes use of the fact that there are still – for the time being at least – functio
Paul
Feb 12, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
A story of survival and obsession in a world brought to its knees.

When Jez White disturbs Rachel’s solitary existence she finds herself being drawn into a murky territory somewhere between stalking and being stalked. This powerful is by turns sensual and sinister, and conjures up an all-too-believable near future – of isolated communities, wild weather and strange allegiances.

I Have Waited, and You Have Come is a character study that follows the life of a woman who shuts herself away from the wo
Liz Barnsley
Jul 13, 2013 Liz Barnsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I Have waited and You have Come" from Martine Mcdonagh is a little gem of a tale that absorbed me into its pages and kept me up last night...groan...caffeine required!

Set in a Post Apocalyptic world, we follow Rachel who fends for herself and spends as little time as possible in the company of other survivors. Then she seemingly attracts a stalker, someone who invades her solitary existence...and everything changes.

This is very much a character driven novel. The relationship between Rachel and
Michelle Ablett
Nov 27, 2012 Michelle Ablett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This is the first book I have ever fully given up on. No matter how bad I usually force myself to finish the whole book but with this book I just couldn't waste any more time on it.

I feel that the book wasn't very post-apocalyptic as promised, or if it was, it wasn't described very well. It describes certain aspects so much that it just becomes confusing.

At the point I got to in the book (about 1/4) nothing had really happened. The main character isn't described very well and neither are any oth
Ileanatweetie
Mar 18, 2013 Ileanatweetie rated it it was amazing
In a day and age when we read more Facebook posts in a day than the number of pages from a good book, I could not tear myself away from I HAVE WAITED, AND YOU HAVE COME.

McDonagh's uncanny ability to describe each scene made me feel as though I was inside her novel and was Rachel, her lead character, experiencing every breath and step she took-even in the darkness.

The deeper you delve into this author's debut novel, the more you realize you're in for a ride of your life!

I thoroughly enjoyed this
Francesca Nield
May 21, 2012 Francesca Nield rated it really liked it
If you are afraid of the consequences of severe climate change, this first novel sets out a dark and disturbing landscape changed by extreme weather patterns. The aftermath of these changes reveals a bleak and tenuous attempt for survivors to grip onto a completely changed civilisation. The strange communities and deep sense of isolation which the author creates are unfortunately too credible for comfort. This is mirrored in the unravelling of the central character's mental health and complete b ...more
Matt
Sep 19, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
A good little character study, high on tension throughout most of it and with a great, bleak apocalyptic setting. Really draws you inside the main character's head. Unfortunately doesn't explore most of the interesting ideas/scenarios it sets up and gets a bit repetitive towards the end, slightly spoiling the climax. Feels like a short story, would love to read a more fleshed out vision of this future.
Monigingir Pal
Jun 18, 2013 Monigingir Pal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sincere thanks to Goodreads and Martine McDonagh for the lovely present.
This book has kept me interested till the last page as it played with the myriad possibilities and impossibilities of the futute world. Everything that you don't want to believe comes true. In the end,however you will ask for more which is the sign of a good story.
Barry
Jun 21, 2013 Barry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I went into this thinking it was a dark post-apocalyptic story, hopefully a good one but all the same lighter than my usual fair, reading it now with the hopes it would help with my 2013 reading funk.

Wrong.

Instead this is a tedious story with next to no character development but plenty of multiple page descriptions on how shes sleeping or cooking eggs. The marketing people would have you believe "Rachel finds herself in a murky territory somewhere between stalking and being stalked. A story of s
Kristy
May 24, 2014 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite dystopian novels. It is set in a future where England is ravaged by extreme weather and where the people that are left behind are forced to live in a way dictated to them by nature. Yet this is not so much about the whys and wherefores of climate change, but more about human nature, and what happens when we become solitary animals. A wonderful and very clever novel. I've read this more than once...
Andrea
May 28, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was undecided whether to give this book two or three stars. Two because it felt like it needed more somehow, throughout the book. I realised after finishing it, that the reason there wasn't was intentional. It is a cleverly written, dark book about loneliness and depression. That is a truer depiction of how life would be post apocalypse. I decided on three, as it is good. :)
Sandra
Apr 18, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, read-2016
A strange book whose cover and blurb somehow promised more, or something different, to what it delivered. Only at the end did I learn it was meant to be a diatribe against climate change; it felt more like a young teenage fantasy, cobbled from other sources.
Anna
Jan 30, 2015 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
I don't know if 'like' is quite right for this book, it was an interesting and puzzling read. I couldn't quite get to grips with the main character's thinking but I wanted to know more so I kept going.

I wasn't keen on the ending.
Annet
Weird and pretty troubling book. I had a hard one getting into this one, but pursued and have to say, the 2nd half of the book drew me in... I still have to let this one sink in really. Set in a post-apocalyptic landscape, full of dark rain and wind, Rachel lives a solitary existence, a life of paranoia? The author says, it isn't a novel about climate change, it's about the impact of extreme change on a person's environment and behaviour. Weather-induced madness. The cover says "if you like your ...more
Kinsey_m
This was a three star read until I got to the epilogue, which really didn't work for me. However, this novel has some strong points, mainly description and the way people start to think in a peculiar way when they have been isolated for a long time. Another thing that didn't work for me was the extent to which some services were still available in this post-apocalyptic world (they have working phones? really? electricity? solar cars? how is this post-apocalyptic, then?).
Jo Furniss
Engaging but unremarkable novel about a woman going mad from loneliness after climate change has wiped out most humans. It's pleasingly tense and paranoid but degenerates into a kind of thriller. The final narrator-shift epilogue, which ties up all the threads into a big neat and unnecessary bow, is utterly redundant. But the mood and the setting are unsettling, and the story does zip along.
Kim
May 04, 2013 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel, trying to fend for herself in a post-apocalyptic dystopian England, likes to be isolated from the local 'communities' but finds herself being stalked by a local man and is drawn into taking action. It was an o.k. read for me, not the best I have read by far but not bad.
Jools
Aug 04, 2014 Jools rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine afternoon read but just not quite the full ticket. A bag of Scampi Fries when one is craving fish and chips. Sometimes a snack is just the thing, and with the stupid heat wave we are having it was suitably escapist to read about so much rain.
Dorota
Sep 12, 2014 Dorota rated it it was ok
quite disappointed with it. the quote on the book cover says: 'if you like your books dark and twisted, this is for you'. not as dark and twisted as i thought it would be. but maybe there's something wrong with me and not with the book? ;)
Mandy
Aug 18, 2012 Mandy rated it it was ok
Didn't like this much at all. It tried very hard to be atmospheric and sinister, but most of the time I found it confusing and the characters unrealistic. Disappointing
Viv JM
Grim, dark, unnerving, claustrophobic - a riveting read!
Kristen Segerius
Kristen Segerius rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Karen Baker
Karen Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Melanie Burnett
Melanie Burnett marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Susaz
Susaz marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Yomichuu
Yomichuu rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
  • Divided Kingdom
  • Survivors
  • And All the Stars a Stage
  • The Not Yet
  • Buenos Aires Quintet (Pepe Carvalho, #20)
  • Renewal
  • The Snow
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • The Pesthouse
  • City at World's End
  • The Revelations
  • Isles of the Forsaken
  • The Apocalypse Reader
I am the author of three novels, I Have Waited, and You Have Come, After Phoenix and Things We Can't Undo. I have published short fiction in Quick Fictions, The Brighton Book, The Cheeky Guide to Walks in Sussex and the Illustrated Brighton Moment. I'm also an occasional contributor to Writing magazine. My third novel will be published by Unbound.

I am Programme Leader on the MA Creative Writing &a
More about Martine McDonagh Author...