Start by marking “I Have Waited, And You Have Come” as Want to Read:
I Have Waited, And You Have Come

I Have Waited, And You Have Come

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The world has been ravaged by climate change and Rachel is left to fend for herself. Living amid a clutch of disparate communities whose inhabitants she avoids, she rarely ventures beyond the safety of the storm wall. When Jez disturbs her twilight existence, Rachel finds herself somewhere between stalking and being stalked.
Paperback
Published November 2006 by Myriad Editions

To ask other readers questions about I Have Waited, And You Have Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have Waited, And You Have Come

Janette Fleming
A bleak prediction of the consequences of rising sea levels, McDonagh's book is set in a nightmare vision of Cheshire in the not-too-distant future: "When we first came here the golf course was a progression of green velvet swirls. Later it became the makeshift burial ground for the first wave of victims."

Rachel lives alone in a semi-fortified mill, where she is subject to the attention of a sinister stalker, who makes use of the fact that there are still – for the time being at least – functio
Paul
A story of survival and obsession in a world brought to its knees.

When Jez White disturbs Rachel’s solitary existence she finds herself being drawn into a murky territory somewhere between stalking and being stalked. This powerful is by turns sensual and sinister, and conjures up an all-too-believable near future – of isolated communities, wild weather and strange allegiances.

I Have Waited, and You Have Come is a character study that follows the life of a woman who shuts herself away from the wo
Liz Wilkins
"I Have waited and You have Come" from Martine Mcdonagh is a little gem of a tale that absorbed me into its pages and kept me up last night...groan...caffeine required!

Set in a Post Apocalyptic world, we follow Rachel who fends for herself and spends as little time as possible in the company of other survivors. Then she seemingly attracts a stalker, someone who invades her solitary existence...and everything changes.

This is very much a character driven novel. The relationship between Rachel and
Michelle Ablett
This is the first book I have ever fully given up on. No matter how bad I usually force myself to finish the whole book but with this book I just couldn't waste any more time on it.

I feel that the book wasn't very post-apocalyptic as promised, or if it was, it wasn't described very well. It describes certain aspects so much that it just becomes confusing.

At the point I got to in the book (about 1/4) nothing had really happened. The main character isn't described very well and neither are any oth
Ileanatweetie
In a day and age when we read more Facebook posts in a day than the number of pages from a good book, I could not tear myself away from I HAVE WAITED, AND YOU HAVE COME.

McDonagh's uncanny ability to describe each scene made me feel as though I was inside her novel and was Rachel, her lead character, experiencing every breath and step she took-even in the darkness.

The deeper you delve into this author's debut novel, the more you realize you're in for a ride of your life!

I thoroughly enjoyed this
Francesca Nield
If you are afraid of the consequences of severe climate change, this first novel sets out a dark and disturbing landscape changed by extreme weather patterns. The aftermath of these changes reveals a bleak and tenuous attempt for survivors to grip onto a completely changed civilisation. The strange communities and deep sense of isolation which the author creates are unfortunately too credible for comfort. This is mirrored in the unravelling of the central character's mental health and complete b ...more
Matt
A good little character study, high on tension throughout most of it and with a great, bleak apocalyptic setting. Really draws you inside the main character's head. Unfortunately doesn't explore most of the interesting ideas/scenarios it sets up and gets a bit repetitive towards the end, slightly spoiling the climax. Feels like a short story, would love to read a more fleshed out vision of this future.
Monigingir Pal
Sincere thanks to Goodreads and Martine McDonagh for the lovely present.
This book has kept me interested till the last page as it played with the myriad possibilities and impossibilities of the futute world. Everything that you don't want to believe comes true. In the end,however you will ask for more which is the sign of a good story.
Barry
I went into this thinking it was a dark post-apocalyptic story, hopefully a good one but all the same lighter than my usual fair, reading it now with the hopes it would help with my 2013 reading funk.

Wrong.

Instead this is a tedious story with next to no character development but plenty of multiple page descriptions on how shes sleeping or cooking eggs. The marketing people would have you believe "Rachel finds herself in a murky territory somewhere between stalking and being stalked. A story of s
Kristy
This is one of my favourite dystopian novels. It is set in a future where England is ravaged by extreme weather and where the people that are left behind are forced to live in a way dictated to them by nature. Yet this is not so much about the whys and wherefores of climate change, but more about human nature, and what happens when we become solitary animals. A wonderful and very clever novel. I've read this more than once...
Andrea
I was undecided whether to give this book two or three stars. Two because it felt like it needed more somehow, throughout the book. I realised after finishing it, that the reason there wasn't was intentional. It is a cleverly written, dark book about loneliness and depression. That is a truer depiction of how life would be post apocalypse. I decided on three, as it is good. :)
Annet
Weird and pretty troubling book. I had a hard one getting into this one, but pursued and have to say, the 2nd half of the book drew me in... I still have to let this one sink in really. Set in a post-apocalyptic landscape, full of dark rain and wind, Rachel lives a solitary existence, a life of paranoia? The author says, it isn't a novel about climate change, it's about the impact of extreme change on a person's environment and behaviour. Weather-induced madness. The cover says "if you like your ...more
Jo Furniss
Engaging but unremarkable novel about a woman going mad from loneliness after climate change has wiped out most humans. It's pleasingly tense and paranoid but degenerates into a kind of thriller. The final narrator-shift epilogue, which ties up all the threads into a big neat and unnecessary bow, is utterly redundant. But the mood and the setting are unsettling, and the story does zip along.
Kim
Rachel, trying to fend for herself in a post-apocalyptic dystopian England, likes to be isolated from the local 'communities' but finds herself being stalked by a local man and is drawn into taking action. It was an o.k. read for me, not the best I have read by far but not bad.
Jools
A fine afternoon read but just not quite the full ticket. A bag of Scampi Fries when one is craving fish and chips. Sometimes a snack is just the thing, and with the stupid heat wave we are having it was suitably escapist to read about so much rain.
Dorota
quite disappointed with it. the quote on the book cover says: 'if you like your books dark and twisted, this is for you'. not as dark and twisted as i thought it would be. but maybe there's something wrong with me and not with the book? ;)
Mandy
Didn't like this much at all. It tried very hard to be atmospheric and sinister, but most of the time I found it confusing and the characters unrealistic. Disappointing
Viv JM
Grim, dark, unnerving, claustrophobic - a riveting read!
Carnelian
Carnelian marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
karen
karen marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Emma Sale
Emma Sale marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Srabani Naskar
Srabani Naskar marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Divided Kingdom
  • Survivors
  • The Not Yet
  • Things We Didn't See Coming
  • And All the Stars a Stage
  • Renewal
  • Isles of the Forsaken
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Buenos Aires Quintet (Pepe Carvalho, #20)
  • The End: Visions of Apocalypse (SFFWorld.com anthology, #1)
  • A Kind Of Vanishing
  • City at World's End
  • The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)
  • War of the Wives
  • Children of the Dust
  • The Report
  • The  Island: Part 1 (Fallen Earth #1)
Martine McDonagh is the author of two novels, I Have Waited, and You Have Come (Myriad Editions 2006, 2012), and After Phoenix (Ten To Ten 2013). She has published short fiction in Quick Fictions, The Brighton Book, The Cheeky Guide to Walks in Sussex and the Illustrated Brighton Moment. Her feature on Writing Dystopia was published in Writing magazine.

Martine has an MA in Creative Writing from Ma
More about Martine McDonagh...
After Phoenix