Start by marking “Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up” as Want to Read:
Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up

Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Engrained in our culture is the belief that unbending discipline is the only sure way to success. You must go to the gym five times a week, never order the dessert, and don't even think about buying that dress you keep staring at in the store window. Breaking from such a regimented lifestyle is a sign of weakness, right? Wrong!-and Joyce wants to tell us why...

Though setti
Paperback, Large Print, 272 pages
Published April 13th 2010 by FaithWords (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes

Erin

This is a great book with many examples that teach and encourage it's readers to lighten up a little bit! How often do we let ourselves get down, stressed and overworked in our day to day life without stopping to smell the roses? Too often, if you ask me.

We get so set on the goal on the end results that we lose ourselves in the middle forgetting that God made things for us in our lives for us to enjoy whether it be a cookie or a new pair shoes. And we shouldn't feel bad about it and I know I am
Cara
The title of this book caught my eye. Eat the cookie? Yes, please!

When I saw that it was a Christian book, I almost dismissed it, but this author is one of my mom's huge fave inspirational people, so I figured I'd give it a chance. Especially, if even the Christian establishment (which I think of as super judgmental) thinks I should lighten up, maybe it really is ok to do so.

There are a few gems in here, but it seems like you get 90+% of the value just from reading the title and subtitle. The a
This book is written for a fairly specific demographic, and if you aren't Christian then you're going to get the distinct impression that the book isn't talking to you. I think that's a shame, because the overall premise of this book--balancing self-discipline with self-rewards--is one that applies to a lot of people, maybe almost everyone.
There are some things that the author and I firmly agree on. First, that saying birthdays aren't worth celebrating after a certain age is SUPER LAME. Second,
Anita
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads program. However, I have nine previous Joyce Meyer hardcovers on my shelves, I have seen her speak in person in a packed arena, and I watch her Enjoying Everyday Life television show whenever I get the chance.

You can probably tell I like Joyce. I like her speaking and writing style. She tells it like it is. She doesn't beat around the bush. She uses Bible verses and explanations that anyone can understand. And she uses rhymes and memory
From my blog...
While the premise of the book, Eat the Cookie…Buy the Shoes is an excellent one and a message I believe many should hear, I wonder how many readers may be put off by the preaching in this novel with the fun, whimsical title, I hope not many. Meyer's message is one that should be read, yet often I found myself feeling overwhelmed by what seemed to me to be too heavy a hand on the religious end. Yes, I realize Joyce Meyer is rather popular and has her own ministry, however, with the
Sharon
Every once in a while, I find myself reading a book that is serendipitous: the message I need, at just the right time.

Joyce Meyers' "Eat the Cookie ... Buy the Shoes" was just such an experience for me. Meyers writes about the importance of celebration in life, as well as the importance of discipline. The titular cookie and shoes are metaphors for learning to keep a proper balance in life.

Meyers' colloquial style is enjoyable, and her advice is sound. She provides examples from her own life to e
April Lyn
This is the second Joyce Meyer book that I've tried to read.. the first that I finished. I started it several months ago and it's only due to the new more disciplined me that I was able to finish it. It's not that it was horrible.. there were definitely bits of wisdom that I gleaned from the reading. I especially liked the chapters nearer the end. I think the issue that I have with her writing (based on this book and several attempts to get through "Me and My Big Mouth!" given to me by my loving ...more
Lorna
I really enjoyed this upbeat spin on Christian Hedonism (see John Piper). Meyer takes the sometimes-forgotten approach (among religious circles especially) of promoting joy and celebration, reminding us that this is an integral part of living the way Christ desires. She tempers this with calling her readers to self-control, prayer, and seeking spiritual guidance in the Word. A few sound bites: "Celebrate discipline because it is your friend and not your enemy. Discipline yourself to celebrate, ...more
Christina
Straight talk from Joyce as always. Light, enjoyable, motivating read. Simple lessons reminding us to celebrate life..all the ups and downs, be disciplined but balanced, and most of all, just lighten up :)
Beth Lee
This book was full of content.It had alot to take in throughout the book, and it was hard for me to stay focused in the last few chapters.
Saying that, i took some notes and there are some good points to remember from it.This is one of them 'Jesus set us free from comparison and competition, and we can and should celebrate that we are unique'(see 2 cor 10v12) pg178.
Jill
This book came along at the perfect time...I needed permission to not sweat the small stuff and indulge in a few guilty pleasures ie..calories and retail therapy. ;) Thank you Joyce!!! Another winner for women!!!
Michelle
I love Joyce Meyer's amazing ability to speak right to your heart and remind you about what is important in life. Good book especially for us who think that our house has to be perfect and we have to have thought and dealt with every matter that might occur in our life. Ahhhh loved it and I read it in my travels on a plane so it kept me enthralled and not worrying about my flight.
Amy Flink
LOVE Joyce Meyer, she is one of my fave Christian authors. I love this book, it is about learning to have fun, celebrate life and not deprive yourself. Such freedom in Christ. It is okay to reward yourself, there is a difference between that and indulging yourself. When done in a balanced way, it makes life enjoyable. GO, JOYCE!!
Tasha enderby
This was a cute book but it's very repetitive in it's theme. I listened to her show on the radio and I felt like that hour show gave you all the main points in this book. I do love the bibical commentary on her scripture refrence she doe's an awesome job of making the bible come alive to women.
Jen
This book caught my eye and I felt like I needed to read it. It's premise is that God wants a joyful people. It was good to remind myself to lighten up and enjoy the life I have been given. I didn't read it all because after awhile I felt like I had gotten the message. Good reminder!
Nicole
When I asked for the book, the kid in book store gave me a look like I was Satan and said "it is in Religious/Self Help". What am I that evil looking? LOL. This was good to remind yourself that you sould treat yourself in life because you do deserve it.
Clare
Ok. Joyce Meyer is definitely a TV personality, not a writer. Her rephrasing of the parables drove me nuts.

But the message that you don't have to deprive yourself because you think that's what God wants is good.
Yeva
I really enjoyed this book. I was expectly gospel light or maybe some Pauline platitudes, and instead I found real wisdom and a great source for applying biblical principles to everyday life. Nice work,Ms. Meyer.
Linda
Reminder to celebrate life, even during the working times. Take time to enjoy everyday life! I certainly do! Probably eat too many cookies and buy too many pairs of shoes. I live an abundant life!
Ann Mulholland
couldn't finish this book. I liked the idea and I took a lot from it, but it just.....dragged or something. I very seldom give up on a book, but I just couldn't make myself finish it
Nadine
A good reminder to reward ourselves for achieving our goals and completing everyday tasks. We NEED to have fun and make our lives fun! Best quote "Do your best and God will do the rest."
Loved the premise for this book: don't be guilty, God wants us to be happy... but it wasn't enough to keep me reading. Didn't finish, got a bit bored. Just OK for me ;)
Saralyn
This wasn't what I expected. I had never heard Joyce Meyer. I liked a lot of her points, but disagreed with... Well, anyway. I liked the gems I got out of the book.
Indya
She is so inspirational. I didn't read this book because I have this message on DVD, but that was wonderful! The book is usually so much better than movies!
Meg
lots of fluff, but of all the christian life advice people, i can stand her more than the others. good basic message, lots and lots and lots of fluff.
Mum
Very good book. She has a way of communicating that really gets right to the heart of the subject. I think I will have a Mary day today!!!
Wilma Blevins
Joyce Meyers' teaching is God wants us to enjoy our lives. He wants us to celebrate life even the small things.Great inspirational book. Loved it.
Carmen
May 24, 2011 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Carmen by: My Pastor
Joyce Meyer's is Amazing. Next to the Bible, her books are right up there with living the life! If you know God, you know what I mean.
Tracy
Wonderful book for women. Joyce teaches you to enjoy life and not be so structured. There is no need to feel gulity about having a cookie.
Kimmie
Joyce is a powerful voice....sharing her knowledge and humor, and combining it with the Word of God......I really enjoy reading her books!
  • You Are Made for More!: How to Become All You Were Created to Be
  • Love as a Way of Life: Seven Keys to Transforming Every Aspect of Your Life
  • My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope
  • Night Running: A Book of Essays About Breaking Through
  • Reposition Yourself: Living Life Without Limits
  • What Happens When Women Walk in Faith: Trusting God Takes You to Amazing Places
  • Dave Pelzer's Life Lessons: from a man who knows
  • Living Life as a Thank You: The Transformative Power of Daily Gratitude
  • Holy Is the Day: Living in the Gift of the Present
  • Miracles and Grace in an Unlikely Place
  • Praying Circles around Your Children
  • Inside Asperger's Looking Out
JOYCE MEYER is one of the world's leading practical Bible teachers. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, she has written more than seventy inspirational books, including The Confident Woman, Look Great, Feel Great, and the entire Battlefield of the Mind family of books. She has also released thousands of audio teachings as well as a complete video library. Joyce's Enjoying Everyday Life® radio ...more
More about Joyce Meyer...
Battlefield Of The Mind - Winning The Battle In Your Mind Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose The Confident Woman: Start Today Living Boldly and Without Fear Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone The Penny

“We can change our quality of life by changing your attitude toward the big and small things that usually irritate and anger us.” 0 likes