Start by marking “Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up” as Want to Read:
Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up

Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  438 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Engrained in our culture is the belief that unbending discipline is the only sure way to success. You must go to the gym five times a week, never order the dessert, and don't even think about buying that dress you keep staring at in the store window. Breaking from such a regimented lifestyle is a sign of weakness, right? Wrong!-and Joyce wants to tell us why...

Though setti
Paperback, Large Print, 272 pages
Published April 13th 2010 by FaithWords (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes

Anita
Aug 21, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads program. However, I have nine previous Joyce Meyer hardcovers on my shelves, I have seen her speak in person in a packed arena, and I watch her Enjoying Everyday Life television show whenever I get the chance.

You can probably tell I like Joyce. I like her speaking and writing style. She tells it like it is. She doesn't beat around the bush. She uses Bible verses and explanations that anyone can understand. And she uses rhymes and memory
Erin
May 02, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a great book with many examples that teach and encourage it's readers to lighten up a little bit! How often do we let ourselves get down, stressed and overworked in our day to day life without stopping to smell the roses? Too often, if you ask me.

We get so set on the goal on the end results that we lose ourselves in the middle forgetting that God made things for us in our lives for us to enjoy whether it be a cookie or a new pair shoes. And we shouldn't feel bad about it and I know I am
Cara
The title of this book caught my eye. Eat the cookie? Yes, please!

When I saw that it was a Christian book, I almost dismissed it, but this author is one of my mom's huge fave inspirational people, so I figured I'd give it a chance. Especially, if even the Christian establishment (which I think of as super judgmental) thinks I should lighten up, maybe it really is ok to do so.

There are a few gems in here, but it seems like you get 90+% of the value just from reading the title and subtitle. The a
Lois
Jul 20, 2016 Lois marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a way to delete this from my history because of the following article:

... and the following quote from an interview between Meyer and Larry King:

"MEYER: But I kind of watch what you've been asking, those questions. Obviously, Larry, if I believe the Bible, then I don't believe that a gay lifestyle or a homosexual lifestyle is the right way to choose to live. I believe that there's something so much better.

KING: You believe it's a choice?
Apr 26, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, first-reads
This book is written for a fairly specific demographic, and if you aren't Christian then you're going to get the distinct impression that the book isn't talking to you. I think that's a shame, because the overall premise of this book--balancing self-discipline with self-rewards--is one that applies to a lot of people, maybe almost everyone.
There are some things that the author and I firmly agree on. First, that saying birthdays aren't worth celebrating after a certain age is SUPER LAME. Second,
From my blog...
While the premise of the book, Eat the Cookie…Buy the Shoes is an excellent one and a message I believe many should hear, I wonder how many readers may be put off by the preaching in this novel with the fun, whimsical title, I hope not many. Meyer's message is one that should be read, yet often I found myself feeling overwhelmed by what seemed to me to be too heavy a hand on the religious end. Yes, I realize Joyce Meyer is rather popular and has her own ministry, however, with the
Sharon
Mar 04, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Every once in a while, I find myself reading a book that is serendipitous: the message I need, at just the right time.

Joyce Meyers' "Eat the Cookie ... Buy the Shoes" was just such an experience for me. Meyers writes about the importance of celebration in life, as well as the importance of discipline. The titular cookie and shoes are metaphors for learning to keep a proper balance in life.

Meyers' colloquial style is enjoyable, and her advice is sound. She provides examples from her own life to e
April Lyn
This is the second Joyce Meyer book that I've tried to read.. the first that I finished. I started it several months ago and it's only due to the new more disciplined me that I was able to finish it. It's not that it was horrible.. there were definitely bits of wisdom that I gleaned from the reading. I especially liked the chapters nearer the end. I think the issue that I have with her writing (based on this book and several attempts to get through "Me and My Big Mouth!" given to me by my loving ...more
Cynthia
Listened to this motivational audio book on our way home from visiting our kids. It's read by Joyce's youngest daughter which I find a heartwarming all-in-the-family presentation. I appreciated Joyce's Bible-based references to the necessity for Christians to drop the guilt (ongoing all-consuming, addictive guilt-- not from God) and get on with a relationship with God. Funny and real, like Joyce always is.
Lorna
Jul 08, 2012 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this upbeat spin on Christian Hedonism (see John Piper). Meyer takes the sometimes-forgotten approach (among religious circles especially) of promoting joy and celebration, reminding us that this is an integral part of living the way Christ desires. She tempers this with calling her readers to self-control, prayer, and seeking spiritual guidance in the Word. A few sound bites: "Celebrate discipline because it is your friend and not your enemy. Discipline yourself to celebrate, ...more
Zenzele-Leandria Young
I have now read this book three times!! Every time I read it I gain more wisdom on allowing myself to live in my time, my life; with my joy. I am learning through this book and Joyce Meyer's way of teaching to "lighten up!". It's not that deep.
Christina
Straight talk from Joyce as always. Light, enjoyable, motivating read. Simple lessons reminding us to celebrate life..all the ups and downs, be disciplined but balanced, and most of all, just lighten up :)
Cara Noyes
There was a lot of spiritual wisdom in this book. I
Not only appreciated all the scripture references, I really loved the advice to celebrate in Jesus every day. Also an important theme was reminding me to stay seated in Christ.
Ed Zirkwitz
She uses humour to allow us to see ourselves and the world in a less serious way.
Beth Lee
Feb 16, 2014 Beth Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of content.It had alot to take in throughout the book, and it was hard for me to stay focused in the last few chapters.
Saying that, i took some notes and there are some good points to remember from it.This is one of them 'Jesus set us free from comparison and competition, and we can and should celebrate that we are unique'(see 2 cor 10v12) pg178.
Hanna Smith
Mar 20, 2015 Hanna Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Joyce Meyer's writing style is delightful.
Kari Twitchell
Some great things to think about.
Jill
Jan 10, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came along at the perfect time...I needed permission to not sweat the small stuff and indulge in a few guilty pleasures ie..calories and retail therapy. ;) Thank you Joyce!!! Another winner for women!!!
Michelle
Mar 13, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Joyce Meyer's amazing ability to speak right to your heart and remind you about what is important in life. Good book especially for us who think that our house has to be perfect and we have to have thought and dealt with every matter that might occur in our life. Ahhhh loved it and I read it in my travels on a plane so it kept me enthralled and not worrying about my flight.
Amy Flink
Apr 29, 2011 Amy Flink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE Joyce Meyer, she is one of my fave Christian authors. I love this book, it is about learning to have fun, celebrate life and not deprive yourself. Such freedom in Christ. It is okay to reward yourself, there is a difference between that and indulging yourself. When done in a balanced way, it makes life enjoyable. GO, JOYCE!!
Jess (Shepherdjel)
2.5 this was totally not what I expected! I was expecting a light fun book about how to lighten up a little. The whole book was very preachy and was filled with TONS of scripture. I have nothing against it and some if it was nice to read and hear but that wasn't what I thought I would be reading.
Tasha enderby
Jun 29, 2011 Tasha enderby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was a cute book but it's very repetitive in it's theme. I listened to her show on the radio and I felt like that hour show gave you all the main points in this book. I do love the bibical commentary on her scripture refrence she doe's an awesome job of making the bible come alive to women.
Jen
Nov 17, 2010 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my eye and I felt like I needed to read it. It's premise is that God wants a joyful people. It was good to remind myself to lighten up and enjoy the life I have been given. I didn't read it all because after awhile I felt like I had gotten the message. Good reminder!
Nicole
Aug 17, 2011 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I asked for the book, the kid in book store gave me a look like I was Satan and said "it is in Religious/Self Help". What am I that evil looking? LOL. This was good to remind yourself that you sould treat yourself in life because you do deserve it.
Nicoleta
Nov 09, 2014 Nicoleta added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nicoleta by: a friend
A great book. I love the way she writes. We must eat the cookie and buy the shoes, but with discipline and faith!
Clare
Oct 16, 2010 Clare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok. Joyce Meyer is definitely a TV personality, not a writer. Her rephrasing of the parables drove me nuts.

But the message that you don't have to deprive yourself because you think that's what God wants is good.
Yeva
Jan 06, 2012 Yeva rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I was expectly gospel light or maybe some Pauline platitudes, and instead I found real wisdom and a great source for applying biblical principles to everyday life. Nice work,Ms. Meyer.
Linda
Jan 14, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminder to celebrate life, even during the working times. Take time to enjoy everyday life! I certainly do! Probably eat too many cookies and buy too many pairs of shoes. I live an abundant life!
Ann Mulholland
couldn't finish this book. I liked the idea and I took a lot from it, but it just.....dragged or something. I very seldom give up on a book, but I just couldn't make myself finish it
Nadine
Aug 26, 2012 Nadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reminder to reward ourselves for achieving our goals and completing everyday tasks. We NEED to have fun and make our lives fun! Best quote "Do your best and God will do the rest."
  • The Everyday Life Bible: The Power of God's Word for Everyday Living
  • You Are Made for More!: How to Become All You Were Created to Be
  • It's Our Ship: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • A Life Unleashed: Giving Birth to Your Dreams
  • The Purity Principle: God's Safeguards for Life's Dangerous Trails
  • Good, Better, Blessed: Living with Purpose, Power and Passion
  • You've Already Got It!: So Quit Trying to Get It
  • Sanibel Scribbles
  • Touching Heaven: A Cardiologist's Encounters with Death and Living Proof of an Afterlife
  • Love as a Way of Life: Seven Keys to Transforming Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet
  • Grace Happens Here: You Are Standing Where Grace is Happening
  • Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life
  • Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life
  • Broken
  • The Tongue - A Creative Force
  • When Bad Christians Happen to Good People: Where We Have Failed Each Other and How to Reverse the Damage
  • God Girl: Becoming the Woman You're Meant to Be
Joyce Meyer is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of the world's leading practical Bible teachers. Her nearly 100 books have helped millions of people find hope and restoration. Bestsellers include Living Beyond Your Feelings; Power Thoughts; Battlefield of the Mind; and The Confident Woman.

Joyce Meyer's broadcast Enjoying Everyday Life airs daily on hundreds of television networks an
More about Joyce Meyer...

“We can change our quality of life by changing your attitude toward the big and small things that usually irritate and anger us.” 0 likes