Start by marking “The Brief History of the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Brief History of the Dead

The Brief History of the Dead

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,398 Ratings  ·  1,489 Reviews
From Kevin Brockmeier, one of this generation's most inventive young writers, comes a striking new novel about death, life, and the mysterious place in between. The City is inhabited by those who have departed Earth but are still remembered by the living. They will reside in this afterlife until they are completely forgotten. But the City is shrinking, and the residents cl ...more
Published February 14th 2006 by Pantheon

To ask other readers questions about The Brief History of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brief History of the Dead

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalAtonement by Ian McEwanBeowulf by UnknownBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Grey Daze
10th out of 484 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.9* of five

The Book Description: From Kevin Brockmeier, one of this generation's most inventive young writers, comes a striking new novel about death, life, and the mysterious place in between. The City is inhabited by those who have departed Earth but are still remembered by the living. They will reside in this afterlife until they are completely forgotten.

But the City is shrinking, and the residents clearing out. Some of the holdouts, like Luka Sims, who produces the City’s only news
karen
i always want more. even when i enjoy a book - especially when i enjoy a book... i love the concept of this book, and while its true there are some implausibilities here, and while it gets a little thin in places, it is easy to overlook because it is such a delight to read. yes, a delight.

i am tacking on a little more to this sad and short excuse for a review because i was thinking about this book today, after i finished reading "on the beach". if anyone needs a dissertation topic or just has th
Saucy Kate
Oct 16, 2007 Saucy Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eric
Nov 22, 2012 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I dearly wanted to love this book. The first chapter--establishing a vast city of the recently dead, an afterlife for everyone still remembered by the living--is amazing and beautiful. The second chapter flies off in another direction entirely, and plants us firmly in the ice and snow of antarctica. From there the novel alternates: each odd-numbered chapter explores the city of the dead from a new character's perspective, while the even-numbered chapters follow the adventures of the woman in Ant ...more
Oceana2602
Mar 01, 2008 Oceana2602 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Here's the story how I came by the best book I read in 2007:

So I'm standing at King's Cross station, waiting for a friend of mine to arrive by train. Oh, look, there's a Waterstones! They are having a 3 for the price of 2 sale, and there are two books that I wanted to buy anyway. Now, let's find a third one! This one looks pretty, and it isn't too heavy, gotta fly back tomorrow.
*buys books*

Great, my friend's train is an hour late. Let's read a book. That third one isn't too long.
*reads*
*reads*
*r
Ann M
Aug 25, 2007 Ann M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There should be a particular damp shelf in book hell for science fiction books that start off with an interesting premise and then go absolutely NOWHERE. I mean, nowhere. I'm used to sci fi that starts off well, then is okay in the middle, then fizzles out. This one fizzled right away. I mean, who cares what the city of the still-remembered is like if nothing happens there? Who cares about all the dull crossing stories, and really, WHO CARES about the idiot street preacher as the last human on e ...more
Alan
Dec 13, 2012 Alan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, read-in-2012
Could have been briefer.

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I loved the concept of this story line.
Ghosts/spirits or what ever you want to call it, still roaming around in our everyday life. But they hang round until the very last person who remembers them passes away them selves. It just didn't match up to all the hype. Still it was okay.
Res
Sep 01, 2007 Res rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, locus_poll
The one where when people die, they go to live in "the city" until no living person remembers them. Meanwhile, on earth, things are turning out very badly.

I loved the short story that became the first chapter. And there are so many beautifully observed moments that I found the book quite enjoyable while I was reading it. It was only afterwards that doubts began to creep up.

The real-world part of the story has two major implausibilities in it: why the company would consolidate its production into
Ken-ichi
Nov 06, 2008 Ken-ichi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escape
Sezín Koehler
This was an incredibly profound book, and I have a feeling that it will shape the way I see the world and death from now on. I really wasn't expecting it to affect me this way, and it completely came out of nowhere. Can't recommend this one enough. Absolutely gorgeous in every way.
Daniel
Dec 06, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few comforts we can draw on when facing up to our own mortality is the fact that we will live on in the memories of those we leave behind. Kevin Brockmeier takes this sentiment and envisions a world in which it is literally true. As such, The Brief History of the Dead makes for a unique take on the idea of life and death, as well as a poignant testimony to the power of memory.

For the dearly departed, there is no heaven or hell in this world of Brockmeier's imagination. Although the c
Tim
Feb 06, 2008 Tim rated it liked it
I picked up this book after listening to an episode of KCRW's To The Best Of Our Knowledge entitled "Apocalyptic Fiction" (mp3).

I had just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road," and felt myself compelled to read a bit more "apocalyptic fiction." Unfortunately, the brutal grandeur of "The Road" set the bar too high. It seems unfair to compare the two books, but because I read them in succession I feel I must.

Where "The Road" was almost liberatingly sparse and hopeless, "The Brief History
Ameriie
Nov 03, 2015 Ameriie added it
Recommends it for: the dreamers
fantastic world-building + ongoing sense of wonder = a novel that is very hard to put down
Trudi
This book started out brilliantly with a wonderfully unique premise. The writing is e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t, but somehow the story loses its momentum at the end and speaking of endings, I found this one to be very unsatisfying. However, I enjoyed this book enough to try something else by Kevin Brockmeier.
A.W. Wilson
Aug 05, 2013 A.W. Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read my reviews then you'll probably think I just wax lyrical about everything I read. the reason for this is that if I don't enjoy a book I tend to stop reading it and also don't think it's my place to criticise something that happened not to be 'for me'. And it's much more fun writing about stuff I've enjoyed anyway, so there!

Guess what? That's right, I loved this book! I normally employ a know-nothing-in-advance technique in which I ensure I've not read any reviews or even read the blu
Kelly
Mar 16, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Marvin
Aug 09, 2009 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A moving story that explores the power of memory, the significance of loss, and the meaning of our existence. While reading this novel I was constantly reminded of Berkeley's "If a tree falls in the forest" question. Certainly many of us want to know that our life have meaning, perhaps even remembered beyond our existence. I think these are the ideas Brockmeier is playing with and of course he has no real answer but the route he takes is one mesmerizing journey. Two separate stories are revealed ...more
liz
Aug 01, 2007 liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: literary
Gijs Grob
'The Brief History of the Dead' is partly an apocalyptic future novel, akin to 'War With the Newts' or 'On the Beach'. Like in those two books, human existence is wiped out by a destruction force of its own design.

Brockmeier, however, is not interested in the process of destruction itself, but focuses on the last survivor, biologist Laura Byrd, who's utterly alone on the Antarctic. Curiously, though, her adventures are altered with the description of a city where people go to after they die. The
Caleb Liu
The book certainly has an intriguing premise. Brockheimer's idea of the afterlife is a strange metaphysical situation whereby people end up in a large city seemingly doing precisely what they had been doing in their previous lives. If this is purgatory, it certainly is a strange one. This is where the story begins to intertwine with the "real world" which is embodied by the story of a young woman on an Antarctic expedition.

The book was certainly captivating at the beginning, but I began to grow
Alb
Apr 18, 2008 Alb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and now I need to go to CuteOverload.com and stare at pictures of puppies before I wander drained of all hope into on-coming traffic. Phew somebody please buy Kevin Brockmeir a balloon bouquet or give him a hug because this guy needs cheering up. I mean don't get me wrong, I like lots of sad, bleak books and I actually think the fatalistic ending was logical and necessary but throw me an interesting charater or a meaningful, complicated relationship every couple of hund ...more
Kev
Jul 17, 2008 Kev rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brngs to mind a professor I had in college. He was a New York Jew with a withering wit. It was a graphic design class and he took no prisoners. He'd do a crit this way. One grade for the idea and another for the execution and he'd say thinges like this: "You had a great ideer here, A+ ideer, but LOUSY execution. I gotta give ya a D- for execution, so you getta C+."

Well, in the style of this prof, Kev: "GREAT execution, A+ execution; beautifully written. But I gotta give ya a D- for the
Whitney
Feb 17, 2010 Whitney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Brockmeier completely engages the reader right from the start with a very striking concept: The dead have a city of their own in which they don't age, just so long as they're remembered by someone alive on Earth. Without spoiling, something astonishing happens that brings great change to the City, and the reader is thoroughly engaged in what is going to happen next...

What happens next is a good bout of reminiscing by random and vaguely related characters. No character takes the spotlight,
Megan
Oct 11, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what the title proclaims to be, a brief history of many people who are already dead, and Laura Byrd, who is soon to be dead. Early on in this book, it becomes very clear what is going on and what is going to happen. Kevin Brockmeier presents so many small, insignificant moments and memories from different peoples’ lives, and the assumption is that this is all going to add up to a very poignant revelation. But it doesn’t. It’s just life, very beautifully told.

Really, not much hap
Matthew Hunter
Speechless... that's a good description of my state during my reading of Kevin Brockmeier's The Brief History of the Dead. Brockmeier gives us Coca-Cola as unintentional doom-bringer. The mega-corp manages to spring a lethal virus on humanity, killing off the entire planet in no time. Their attempts to spin the catastrophe bring a dark, cynical humor into the mix.

Brockmeier paints a very imaginitive picture of the city of the dead, a limbo-like place where souls go after death and stay until eve
Robyn
Aug 09, 2007 Robyn rated it really liked it
Great book, with a controversial ending. The author opens with an African folktale about the varying levels of death. As long as someone is alive to remember you, you exist on a plane of neither living nor dead. And so we open into a city of the dead, where the afterlife is unexpectedly a lot like normal life. As the people who knew you die, your spirit fades away.

But in the city of the dead something dreadful begins to happen -- whole communities sweep in and sweep out, as people begin to talk
Joe
Apr 27, 2008 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: divisive book lovers
Shelves: own
Brockmeier's novel, The Brief History of the Dead, is a curious affair that may not appeal to all readers, especially those who like their narratives straightforward and as unconvoluted as possible.

Although the novel's set-up is amazingly obnoxious (alternating chapters of the "living" - Laura Byrd, a biologist trapped and alone in Antarctica - and the "dead" - a population of recently passed souls who reside in The City), Brockmeier controls both sides quite well with a few missteps along the
Wiebke (1book1review)
This was an interesting read, mainly because of the way the story is told.
The book uses an alternating narration between the here and now on Earth and the City of the Dead. However both narrations are connected and reveal parts of the story. We get a piece of information that makes sense much later in the parallel narration.

I really liked how the story put itself together. However it was not very mysterious and rather obvious what was going on. Overall I thought the ending dragged on and was not
Kim Rox
Jun 19, 2015 Kim Rox rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story had such potential but for whatever reason lost momentum 3/4 of the way through. By the time it dawned on me, it was too late. I felt duty bound to finish. Hope springs eternal and all that. Disappointing.
  • The Children's Hospital
  • The Necessary Beggar
  • Deadfall
  • The Houdini Girl
  • Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician
  • Chakras for Beginners: A Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies a Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies
  • Riddley Walker
  • ...Or Not to Be: A Collection of Suicide Notes
  • Yarn
  • The Bestiary
  • The Lost Books of the Bible
  • The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil
  • After the Apocalypse
Born and raised in Little Rock, Arkansas, Brockmeier received his MFA from the Iowa Writer's Workshop in 1997. His stories have been featured in The New Yorker, McSweeny's, Crazyhorse, and The Georgia Review. He is the recipient of an O. Henry Award, the Nelson Algren Award, and a National Endowment of the Arts grant.
More about Kevin Brockmeier...

“Dreaming was easier than screaming, and screaming was easier than worrying, and worrying was easier than crying, which was what she knew she would be reduced to if she didn’t keep a hard eye on herself.” 31 likes
“Anyone who has ever experienced love knows that you can have too much or too little. You can have love that parches, love that defeats. You can have love measured out in the wrong proportions. It's like your sunlight and water - the wrong kind of love is just as likely to stifle hope as it is to nourish it.” 29 likes