Clap Your Hands

Clap Your Hands

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Take off your shoes and jump right into this bright, energetic, read-aloud rhyme filled with sing-along and act-along verse which invites youngsters to swirl, twirl, and spin for an exhilarating read-and-play time!"An extended play-rhyme that invites readers or listeners to clap, jump, spin, wriggle, pat, rub, and stretch in a variety of ways.... Infectiously joyful". -- K...more
Published January 27th 1997 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Clap Your Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clap Your Hands

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
67th out of 286 books — 124 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanFirst 100 Words by Roger PriddyHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
Your kids picks
33rd out of 62 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Hastings
Oct 10, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool toddlers actions music and movement rhyming
What a fun book! Children will enjoy doing the actions.
Jeff
Clap Your Hands is a delightful rhyming book that encourages participation and play. The rhymes are creative and describe fun actions, like clapping your hands, counting your fingers and toes, and sticking out your tongue and touching your nose. Younger children will learn counting, names of some body parts, and actions. Children of all ages will be inspired to have fun.

When I say "all ages," I mean just that--my wife and I laughed and played with our children as we clapped and counted and dance...more
Robin Morris
I always read this book during circle time for physical activity. The directions are simple to follow and you know you have the groups attention as they anticipate the next instruction. Kids love to move around and this book has you hopping, spinning, counting and a whole lot more. The illustrations are colorful people and animals with happy faces. I love this book.

About the Author:

Lorinda Bryan Cauley has illustrated, painted and designed for over 30 years. She has a degree from the Rhode Isla...more
Erin
This is not a sit-back and snuggle book. Be prepared for a full-contact read. Clap Your Hands is a whole lot of fun for my 2 year old. So much fun, in fact, that we had to ban it from our bedtime reading because it was just TOO. EXCITING.

This interactive book takes you through a lot of great movements ("spin in a circle..but try not to fall!") and activities ("find something yellow, find something red") that are a lot of fun to do together. A conga line of animals and children act out the moves...more
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary a story of playing by doing fun simple actives like, clapping your hand and turning around.
Annotation This book is full of simple fun commands for a child to follow. This is a great read for a small group who can follow along and be silly.
Age appropriateness 3-5
Connection to six early literacy skills- Print motivation, by wanting to know what the characters will do next, it beckons the reader to turn the page.
Five practices -This is a great example of play using literature. I could...more
Connie
This is one of those books designed for the fidgety story-time goer.

It's full of instructions - clap your hands, tell me your age, I'll tickle you if you tickle me, find something red, that sort of thing.

Great fun for kids to get to move around instead of sitting through a story, this might be a good way to end storytime!

But, because of those good points, board book format might not be the best way to go. The pictures are too small for moving around - you have to sit close to really see them - a...more
Kara
My kidsos love this book. Its a fun action book and those are one of my boys favorite books right now. It has a lot of actions and the pics are good too.
Mallory Sanchez
The illustrations were okay. The highlight of the book is different movements that lets the story be interactive with the audience.
Vivian
This is a great WIGGLE BREAK book. Keep a copy at hand for almost any story time that includes an animal theme.
Theresa
Great rhyming book that directions kids to act out all kinds of fun movements and sounds. Best for doing one on one or sharing with a small group. I would modify some of it for story times, especially if there are bigger groups.
Juliette
Story time with Miss Emily and Harrison! Story read by Miss Maggie. :)
June
Oct 08, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
This went over extremely well in Toddler Time today. I always enjoy doing stories that invite participation. 9/30/11

Used at PJ Storytime. The hyperactive 6 year old maybe enjoyed it too much.

Used again in Lap Time. They really seemed to enjoy it though some of the activities are a little old for toddlers. Maybe should try Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes at lap time next year and this in Story Time.
Rosa Cline
This is an interactive book that you will want to do with your child(ren) or a good one to read to your group of students to get them up and moving around.
Brandi
A fun participation picture book to help children discover the parts of their body and how their body moves. Great illustrations.
Nicole
Carmen got this when she was around a year old & wasn't really into it, but I would keep reading it off & on to her. Doing that was neat because I got to see her progress developmentally. The book it really a get up & move book that has body movement for them to do. Carmen couldn't sit through the book at first, she'd get bored. Then she could do a couple of the movements & now she can do them all & LOVES it! We got this for free at a Parents as Teachers event.
Vicky McErlean
This is a great book for motor imitation and following directions. It doesn't get enough visibility in my opinion. I read this book to a group of toddlers at a Mommy and Me class and the kids LOVED moving and grooving to the words and illustrations in the book. If you just read the book, it's not nearly as entertaining as if you make the movements.

Clap your hands, stomp your feet.....
Megan Rowland
I have never read a book like this before. It is a book that isn't exactly a story, but is full of poetry and movement. It is a book to incorporate literacy and moving around. If children are getting antsy, then read this book to them and have them do what the story says. This will get them listening to the book, listening, and comprehending if they are doing the moves.
Cleverly
I found this incredibly charming book for my son over the weekend. I thought it was lighthearted and fun. My son was thrilled when I read it to him. We were stomping our feet and wiggling with the book. The pictures are illustrated with animals and children. The animals wore clothing, what a hoot! I don’t think Clap Your Hands could have been anymore perfect.
Becky Keir Grace
I recently read this book with my preschool story time group and what a hit it was! The book is full of interactive things to do, and it gets the kids moving. They were laughing and having such a great time. I even heard later that the kids went home and keep talking about the "fun and silly" book we read. It is a simple book full of fun.
Steve
My son in first grade really enjoyed this book, so I enjoyed it. It's a joyous raucous book, that reminds me of the wild rumpus in Where The Wild Things Are. Any book that gives my son joy is precious to me. Five stars! I picked this book up for 50 cents at a flea market.
Joanna
I thought this would be more fun. Salo ( 20 months) usually enjoys interactive books. This one just has too much going on and not enough focus for a toddler. I didn't like some of the content so I will not revisit this when he is older.
Betty Huber
Great book. I love the retro clever drawings and the words are so catchy. When your baby gets older, he might just follow along and "clap his hands and stomp his feet, shake your arms, than take a seat"!
Traca
Feb 06, 2009 Traca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
We got this book from the library yesterday and the kids love it!! It is so much fun to follow all the directions, run around and act silly! Not a let's-get-settled-down-before-bed book!!!
Alissa
Great book to get the kids up and moving. This book involves counting, dancing, jumping, etc. The pictures are fun to see how the characters carry out the different actions.
Victoria
Fun to read and be interactive. Again, at 7 months, length can be a bit of an issue, and cardboard is still delicious. I'm hopeful that this book will be able to grow with him.
Tanika
Apr 16, 2011 Tanika added it
Shelves: sing-a-long
This is a sing-a-long that children can be involved in. They will get to wiggle, move, play with a partner, and just have fun. Good for pre-k through first.
Molly
Nov 19, 2013 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Molly by: Janelle
This is a fun book. All three boys got pretty into doing all the actions along as I read. I could see doing it every morning as a warm-up of sorts.
Lori
This is a fun book to read with your kids. It encourages them (and you) to get up and move. It's full of giggles and fun each and every time!
Keegan
This is just such an active book. I look forward to when my little boy is a toddler and I can do these activities with him while reading it.
Tricia
Rhyming text contains playful activities. On my roster for the music classes due to lots of movement and bright, fun illustrations.
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Cookie's Week
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Bounce
  • I Took My Frog to the Library
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • Down by the Station
The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse What Lily Goose Found The Trouble with Tyrannosaurus Rex Pancake Boy What Do You Know