Men at Arms: The Play

Men at Arms: The Play (Discworld Stage Adaptations)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  27,460 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In this latest #1 international bestseller, the hilarious and twisted author of Soul Music delivers readers once again into Discworld. Since the captain of the City Watch has left the force to become a gentleman, Discworld is in search of a few good cops. And being a cop in this unpredictable universe is no easy job, so the search goes on for a few good trolls, dwarves, an...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Transworld Publishers

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
122nd out of 2,124 books — 3,204 voters
Night Watch by Terry PratchettGoing Postal by Terry PratchettSmall Gods by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettMort by Terry Pratchett
The Best of Discworld!
44th out of 48 books — 623 voters

More lists with this book...

Jayne Charles
Of all the discworld 'themes' I like the City Watch the best. This one introduces some great new characters who stick around for several more books. Good story, good jokes
Jan 17, 2013 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Kirby
Terry Pratchet makes me laugh out loud when I read his books! He is a brilliant writing and the style of the Discworld books is great de-stresser for me. They don't make me stay up late turning pages, but the stories are fun and I love the characters. Ultimately his books about the goodness in people, even when they don't seem very good, or even likeable.

I loved the "new storyline" introduced in this series. Carroty is especially loveable, but Vimes has a soft spot in my heart to. I look forwar...more
Kathleen
I love the entire City Watch series by Sir Terry Pratchett, even though his pithy little puns can get old at times. It's definitely not a romance series, but there are some romantic relationships. This is a sub-series, part of the much larger Discworld series.

See my review of the series embedded in my review of Guards! Guards!

Series: Here are the Discworld books about the City Watch and its commander Sam Vimes, in order of publication:

Guards! Guards! (19...more
Chaitali Chakraborty
I am actually disappointed! It is a little lethargic, and you really need to cajole yourself to get into main story. And, when things become interesting, Mr. Pratchett, does not give details, which keeps you pondering through the pages to look for answers. This really makes it a toil.
The political sarcasm exists but it failed to lure me. It could have been better with more things happening, but the story lacks adrenalin!
Its a comic-crime novel. But, the comedy stops, as soon as you start to grin...more
Courtenay
This is just one of Terry Pratchett's many Discworld novels, the entire series is terrific. I am partial to the ones that focus on Ankh Morpork's City Watch and the always entertaining and clever Commander Vimes. It's easy to become overwhelmed when approaching this series for the first time as there are well over 40 of them, so my advice is start at the beginning and if you don't like the subject or storyline, go on to the next. They are all semi-stand alone so you won't get too lost. I find th...more
Oliver Morris
Pretty entertaining book. Some of the same issues I typically have with Pratchett: sometimes too silly and not really fantasy. In Men at Arms, he introduces some very likable characters who deal with circumstances that actually raise some thought-provoking questions, including race relations, gun control, and capital punishment. The murder mystery is a little hard to follow, at times, and it seemed like a lot of running around with nowhere to go for much of the book. Overall, reasonably fun, som...more
Jonathan
One of the best Discworld books I've read so far! (The ones following Sam Vimes and the Nightwatch, or the political machinery of Ankh-Morpork do seem to be the best, and this one does both.) This book is a hilarious, action-packed political thriller and I highly recommend it.
Lizzy B
Incredibly well abridged to maintain the story words flow and feel of Pratchett's novel, while making it possible to perform on stage. Impressed by the feel of wholeness despite being less than half the length.
Traci McMath-Hlavac
Well, I was re-reading this until my 10 month old puppy chewed it to shreds... Luckily it was my own personal copy and not a library book. I have moved onto another City Watch Discworld book: Feet of Clay.
Moebius Machiavelli
I think the books are great. I think Pratchett came up with some clever concepts about the discworld itself. I still feel Anhkmorph is a ripoff of Theivesworld, but great series.
Kristin
Recommended by my 24 year old son. I have laughed aloud at everything I've ever read by Pratchett. I like and car about the characters and their hijinx are second to none.
Penny
another very clever and amusing book of the life of the Watch and the wonderful characters who inhabit it .Can throughrslly recommend these books to all
Michael Leffel
Any one of the discword novels with the "city watch" are an instant five stars for me!

Pratchett did to fantasy what Douglas Adams did to science fiction!
Jake Kline
This is an excellent example of Terry Pratchett's engaging, hilarious style. I personally love the characters in the Watch, especially Carrot.
Kerr Cuhulain
I am a major Discworld fan. The Ankh Morpork City Watch series is one of my favorite series, being a retired cop. Great characters.
Christina
I love Terry Pratchett. Every work is witty, silly, and entertaining. Occasionally he makes you think about a thing or two as well :)
Richard Denning
I love the Watch (like the faculty) - any books with them in is a good one although this is an early one and not yet as developed.
Charmaine Clancy
One of the best from the series, now getting to know many of the regular charters, I was shocked to see one of my favourites go. No hints.
Aine
One of his best books if you're a fan. Gives a bunch of backstory of the characters- I loved seeing everyone young!
Erick Rodríguez
I thought this book deserves just tree stars but it gets better at the end. A very strange book about Police :D.
Amber
Oh yeah, another winner. You just can't go wrong with a Terry Pratchett book. It's not possible.
Marie Loughin
Oops, I didn't catch that this was a play. I haven't read the play. It might be good, though.
Linda
Love all of Terry Pratchett's Books - But especially fond of the Men at Arms series.
Mark
Vimes, one of my fav characters, nah - they're all my favourites, Knobby included!
Kaiti
I always love Terry Prachett books but my Vimes and Carrot hold a special place.
Marcia
I adore all of Terry Pratchett's books for adults/teens- fun, snarky satire!
C. P.
Impeccable imagination, unique storytelling ability, and a master of writing.
Melissa
If you read only one Pratchett series, read the watch series.
Sherene Kuruvilla
I don't want to read this. I want to remove this from my list. >.<
Richard Jones
Classic Pratchett, lovable characters, great story and funny as hell.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf)
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
  • The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • The Chronicles of Amber (Amber #1-5)
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2 of 2)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”
479 likes
“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.” 295 likes