Start by marking “Sylvan Street” as Want to Read:
Sylvan Street

Sylvan Street

2.51 of 5 stars 2.51  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The residents of Sylvan Street are a friendly group leading blameless lives in their quaint craftsmen homes—or so they thought. The harmonious cul-de-sac in a leafy Hudson Valley village is about to change forever when the neighbors discover a suitcase filled with one million dollars at a weekend pool party. Almost immediately moral compromises are struck, boon turns to bu ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Plume (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sylvan Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sylvan Street

Rachel Carr
To read more reviews check out Reading Rendezvous on MISS at http://www.missomnimedia.com/tag/read...

As I began Sylvan Street by Deborah Schupack I was quickly immersed into the mundane suburban life. Imagine living at the end of a cul de sac, rife with secrets and knowledge. Now amplify that when at a pool party the inhabitants find a briefcase worth a million dollars. Feeling like you are in a thriller or action movie yet? Just wait. The families gather every summer for the opening of a neighb
Kathleen
I liked the plot a lot--would make a great movie or mini series. I did not find the book to be a page turner as Publishers Weekly commented, and thought it had choppy chapter transitions at times. The author's writing style is new and up-to-date, and I enjoyed a lot of her descriptive narratives pertaining to socioeconomic class differences. Since there was an array of characters, I thought Deborah Schupack was able to neatly relay diverse characteristics to explain the personalities of each one ...more
Karen Merkley
I rather enjoyed reading this book. It was well written with some interesting although incomplete characters. Ultimately, however, it was unsatisfying in the end because there are so many semi-major plot points unresolved and so many central characters that you really don't get enough information about all while trying to be an in-depth look at what is really going on behind closed doors in a small suburban neighborhood. Again, well-written and enjoyable, but ultimately an unsatisfying read.
Katie
Wow, this was a horrible book--horrible characters, horrible plot, and just plain horrible writing. The point of view was all over the place. There were way too many characters, and I couldn't keep track of who was who, nor did I feel any investment in them because they were so poorly developed. By the end of the book, I was just really confused with the plot and the whole mystery and how it was resolved and why it even happened in the first place. (Who was that guy? How did he get the money? Di ...more
Karen Benson
After 100 pages I finally stopped. Now I can stop wincing. Stupid plot, bad writing, ridiculous characters. There was just nothing to keep me reading.

There were two chapters kind of tossed in there which made absolutely no sense to me. They introduced new characters and I'm not sure if they were of any importance to the story or not. Perhaps I would have found out had I continued to read, but I just didn't feel like wasting any more time. I see by the rating that I am not alone in my dislike. I'
Lisa
Mar 15, 2013 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Book Group
Shelves: fiction
My book group's pick for Q1 2013, this novel explores what happens on a quiet suburban street when the neighbors find, and agree to split, a briefcase containing a million dollars. The story is narrated from many different perspectives - not just the neighbors, but a couple of outsiders, and also a story-within-a-story (one of the neighbors is a budding fiction writer). The author knows how to write interesting characters, but the story was not very memorable.
Pam
Oh, I disagree with most of the ladies here. I read it in bookgroup and loved it. we all did, actually. The characters really really came alive. I'm still thinking about them. And I'm thinking about what I might do in their situation. I also thought the writing was lovely, very clear and not over-written. I highly highly recommend.
Really liked the premise of this book and the writing, and wanted to know how it all ended. Drawbacks were the characters weren't undifferentiated enough, there were some sections that were jarring (ie, from the bad guys' POV), and thought some of the neighbors' stories were left unfinished. But overall Sylvan Street was diverting.
Laurie
This was an interesting read for our book discussion. Although it lacked the depth of characterization we desired, the premise was pretty fascinating. We would up having a very wide-ranging discussion about that alone.
Christianne
So many characters in this book it was hard to keep track of them....it got better toward the end but....eh.
Robin
Apr 02, 2010 Robin marked it as to-read
May 2010
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Beth
Beth added it
May 29, 2015
Mirabelle
Mirabelle marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Lynn Coakley
Lynn Coakley marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Rebecca Craig
Rebecca Craig marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Terri Milstead
Terri Milstead marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013