Start by marking “The Last Vampire (Hunger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Vampire (Hunger, #2)

The Last Vampire (Hunger #2)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  37 reviews
She lives.
Miriam Blaylock's insatiable hunger has never ceased. Her incomparable beauty has made her a legend among the Keepers. Her many lovers have come and gone, crumbling into ash and nothingness. She knows the secrets of civilization, and the mysteries of life. In the hollow soul of her mother she has witnessed the agony of undeath.
For centuries she has gained the...more
Published October 20th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Vampire

M—
Drivel. God, so bad. The whole thing is a series of puerile man-boy sex fantasies splashed up on the page, luridly written and poorly plotted to boot.

I read this book in its entirely as an ARC when it was first published, and circumstances have recently caused me to revisit it. At the time I read it, I was unaware it was part of a series and so I came to the book without any inherit affection for the characters. Reading the book did not endear them to me. Miriam in particular started off as a ch...more
Collette
I read a lot of vampire paranormal romance and though I really enjoyed this book, you should not confuse it with paranormal romance. Even though there is a bit of romance and it's definately paranormal it's more horror, IMHO. I love horror though so it worked for me.
This is the second book in the trilogy and it was rating a 5 star for me until the end which I thought was pretty lame. It does set things up for another book but that was about it.
In The Hunger we have Miriam and Sarah's story of...more
Mike Philbin
THE LAST VAMPIRE continues the story of THE HUNGER's vampire Miriam Blaylock. Her last husband, David, is still in the attic bedded into his coffin like a wrinkled old pot plant. A corpse that refuses to die, along side all her other husbands and wives from thousands of years of herding the human animal.

For those of you who have only seen the movie THE HUNGER, you will feel misled by this book. As good as that Tony Scott directed movie was, as atmospheric and stylish and riveting as it was, cast...more
Ray
This is the sequel to Whitley Strieber's successful book "The Hunger." For any reader who is fascinated by vampire lore will surely love these books. I'm an avid fan of Anne Rice and thought that I would never again be able to read or think about vampires without comparing them to her, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Strieber's take on vampire culture was altogether different, and interesting.

At the heart of this novel is a love story told from different points of view: a slave...more
Holly Booms Walsh
Surprisingly lush and a tiny bit archaic, which works for vampire novels as it seems to transport the reader into the foreign mind of a vampire. I likened this book to the writing of Anne Rice rather than to the recent glut of "modern" urban fantasy novels because it is in a more elegant timeless style, rather than a story that is hip and uses street slang and pop culture references - though it is set in modern day. It is surprisingly lovely, in a macabre way.
Stephen
The weakest of the three.

Too much attention given to new characters (who did not 'earn' such attention). I think the idea was to try and get younger readers for Strieber, and if he was given such advice it did not benefit him here.

The ending was rushed.
Megan
Dec 28, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire fans
Recommended to Megan by: Stacey
This book is just as enthralling as the first, with its great writing style and voice. I love that both the humans and vampires refer to the other as 'creatures'. The style is stark and honest, without over romanticizing the realities of any of the characters.
Becky
I love anything "vampire" - I picked this up at a used book store not knowing that it was a sequel... I'm having trouble finding the first - but this book was a good read on it's own... I don't feel that I've missed anything in not reading the first!
Amethyst Shadow
I guess that I'm going to have to read the first one.
Judah
Finally, vampires who aren't tres chic. Well, actually, Miriam IS tres chic, but unfortunately she doesn't realize that her fashions are 20 years out-of-date...just one of many nice small touches.
*Almost* four stars....but not quite.
Vickiek
I didn't finish this book. The idea seemed good enough, but it dragged and I couldn't get invested in the characters. I cannot pin point what made this sub par, but it just was.
Kc
Loved it! A race of bloodsuckers (vampires) have spent years breeding and cultivating humans like humans breed cattle. It is a cool concept and well written.
Debbie Scott
Truly an original, sexy vampire story . . . not for the faint of heart.
Rowan
A good continuation of The Hunger. Miriam is one strange vampire.
Fiona Shacklehack
Couldn't wait to read it after the first one, but what an anti-climax heh! It's an unworthy sequel. Sad inconsistencies (just why? the background of our vampire differs A LOT from the first novel!) and bodysnatched characters (who were interesting and somewhat likable in the first novel, but in the follow up no such luck ... they do things which are very out of character and are incomprehensible) and a crazy plot which turns around 180 degrees in a very unlikely way. The description of events is...more
Mari
I'm reminded why I like Streiber's previous story, The Hunger, in movie form rather than book form. There is an attempt to make this story passionate - but it lacks the texture, full-bodied desire, and emotion of Anne Rice or Laurell K Hamilton. There is also the intellectual argument that some vampire writers delve into that seeks to explain what the vampires would be doing all this time "controlling" or even breeding their "food supply".

In this regard I recommend the long out-of-print book by...more
Bill Golden
The Last Vampire is sort-of a sequel to The Hunger set 20 years later. It follows the vampire, Miriam Blaylock, as she tries to conceive a child with another of her kind, and a CIA vampire hunter, Paul Ward, who's not all that he seems.

The concepts set forth by the book are rather daring. This isn't some teenager's Twilight romance garbage, but an actual mature look at vampires as something other than undead.

The pacing, however, is horribly uneven. Strieber opens with guns blazing, slows the act...more
Sheba
Strieber's no-words-wasted dialogue and his exchanges between characters should be lesson plans on how to write believable characters talking, particularly in the first halves of his books. By the second halves, though, things begin to slow down, including the previously swift dialogue, and the storyline unravels a bit too much into precocious territory. His endings--at least in this series--just don't succeed the story's promises and left me with a lot more hunh's than wow's. There's also a nig...more
Ellen
May 24, 2014 Ellen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kate T.

For starters, I was thrilled by the idea of a sequel to The Hunger. The mythology of the story is fascinating, with vampires as their own species rather than undead humans. That being said, what the heck did they do with Strieber and who the heck wrote this book? All the back stories of Miriam's have been changed completely! The new ideas aren't even as good as the original ones. It makes no sense. That alone killed the book for me. Although not a bad read, the incongruities really hurt my over...more
Serenity Ontario
I am sure Whitley isn't a bad writer this book just went no where.I couldn't finish it."
Nikki
While I've enjoyed other books by this author, I couldn't get into this one. The plot was rather weak and far slower than his other books. I enjoyed how fleshed out Miriam Blaylock is as a character, though she wasn't likeable enough to me to pull off being the main character. This isn't the first book with her and is the sequel to "The Hunger". I thoroughly enjoyed "The Hunger" as a movie, though was unable to make it through the novel of the same name.
Alison
Perhaps I was at a disadvantage having picked the second installment up randomly from the library bookshelf before having read The Hunger. The first quarter of the book was good and from there it lost me in that I didn't feel invested in any of the characters and what may or may not happen to them. It just wasn't the right match for my reading preference.
Cindi
Took me a while to get into this book but it did finally pick up. I thought I knew how it was going to end, but I was wrong. Author left it open for yet a third in the series and, after a little research, looks like he wrote one, Lilith's Dream. I'm sure I'll read that, too, to see how things wrap up.
Jmagicpdx
Terrible sequel, the author obviously went crazy with all of his alien drivel between writing the original and then the sequel. The story makes little sense, and the characters are unlike what they were in the original. Don't waste your time.
Cindy
Jun 10, 2009 Cindy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We will see if this is as crazy and weird as Whitley's other books.....of course, I like crazy and weird. So if it works out that way I should enjoy the book!! :)
Jessica Pitingolo
Part way through and honestly one of the worst books I have ever read but I have a rule once I start something.... darn.
Amany Rajab
I read this when I was 15 and was oblivious to the fact that this is part 2 in a series. Nonetheless I really liked it!
Sandra
this book has a loy of romance (in my opinion) and tells a storie about a lonly vampire finding love.
Chelsea
This book was really not what I thought it would be. It was very dark and sexual. It's not my kind of book.
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • The Last Vampire: Collector's Edition Volume 1 (The Last Vampire, #1-3)
  • Vampire Thrall (Vampires, #2)
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Live Girls
  • Crimson Shadows (Crimison, #3)
  • Usher's Passing
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow
  • Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)
  • 23 Hours: A Vengeful Vampire Tale
  • Blood Bank (Vicki Nelson #6)
  • Manitou Blood (Manitou, #4)
  • By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf, #3)
  • The Dead Travel Fast: Stalking Vampires from Nosferatu to Count Chocula
  • The Caretaker of Lorne Field: A Novel
  • Curfew
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t...more
More about Whitley Strieber...
The Wolfen Communion: A True Story The Hunger (Hunger, #1) Warday 2012: The War For Souls