Start by marking “Captured” as Want to Read:
Captured

Captured (The LeVeq Family #3)

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  556 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
She was the most irresistible treasure of all . . .

Dominic LeVeq, the most notorious privateer ever to command the high seas, has just captured a coveted prize: a British frigate. On a dangerous mission against the Crown, Dominic should be thinking only of his ship's safety. But the rebel captain is utterly entranced by Clare Sullivan, the stunning slave on board. Consumed
Published September 29th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Captured, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

♡Karlyn P♡
4.5 stars. A great pirate historical romance. My first by this author, and I am impressed! I listened to this on audio, and the reader did a great job. Overall, a very enjoyable listen/read. Jenkins clearly made great effort to spin a fascinating tale that included a wealth of historical details about slavery and the cost of freedom.
Hannah
Beverly Jenkins appears to be a well-loved author, and I have heard really good things about her book Indigo from people whose opinions I trust. So even though pirates aren't usually my thing, and the back cover blurb didn't sound promising (when does it ever?), I had reasonably high hopes for Captured. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the simplistic writing style, the cardboard characters, and the uneven plot.

Take away the sexual content, and this book could easily have been written with fi
Davina Bell
Jan 02, 2010 Davina Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cassandra
I love the mixture of romance and history. I like the intense research Ms. Jenkins uses in her stories. The storyline parallels the historical events ( I like that!!). She even provides references for the reader to use for their own research. I especailly love the "black love" dipicted in her stories. All in all, once again a very enjoyable, easy, and very quick read. Classic Beverly Jenkins!!!
Haley Whitehall
Jun 01, 2014 Haley Whitehall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first historical romance I've read by Ms. Jenkins that is set in the 1700s. I look forward to reading more. Captured is a romance novel set mostly in the Caribbean, about Clare, a beautiful and well-educated slave from Savannah, who is "captured" by Dominic, a dashing and handsome pirate captain. Dominic is mulatto - his mother a slave and his father white. Due to his family origins he has much hatred toward slavery and slavers and that encompasses most of the plot.

In usual fashion
Ann Clay
Jul 18, 2011 Ann Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll be ready to go back to the days of pirates! Sexy, hot!
Cheryl Faye
Jan 11, 2011 Cheryl Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When going through the catalogue of books written by Beverly Jenkins that I had not already read, I noticed this one specifically because it featured a character with the name LeVeq. In two of her previous novels, I had encountered LeVeq men and came away with such feelings of satisfaction, I knew I would not be disappointed by this one. And I certainly was not!
This story is great! I starteded reading it at work on 1/10/11 and finished it around 1:00 a.m. 1/11/11.
Not only does Dominic LeVeq thr
Shawnette
What can I say...I am a HUGE fan of Beverly Jenkins' historical romance novels...once again she weaves an AMAZING story...the scenes read like a HIGHLY entertaining movie...the passion between Clare and Dominic is SIZZLING...I was thoroughly CAPTIVATED by their love story....the full cast is COLORFUL and memorable...and I am DEFINITELY looking forward to reading more about the LeVeq's and their circle of family/friends...so if you want to indulge a SEXY romance, some THRILLING action/adventure, ...more
Patty
A romance novel set in the late 1700s, mostly in the Caribbean, about Clare, a beautiful and well-educated slave from Savannah, who is "captured" by Dominic, a dashing and handsome pirate who has strong feelings about slavery, since his mother was a slave until her white master fell in love with her, married her, and set her and all of his slaves free. Shockingly, they fall in love! Unlike a lot of romance novels, though, this one actually has a plot other than the romance; even once Clare and D ...more
MyGoTwos
Jun 07, 2014 MyGoTwos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book ever. Please don't judge it by the cover the cover SUCKS! But the story is great and love the history aspect too
Cynthia
Nov 09, 2010 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Jenkins is my all time favorite author. This book kept me up ALL NIGHT LONG. I loved the Captain.I jsut loved him........ He is an alpha man through and through. BJ you hold it ….DOWN! What a way to educate..
Joe Williams-Nelson
Beverly Jenkins never disappoints. I get a history lesson, an adventure, and of course a great love story that either mimics or inspires my own. One day a TV network will wise up and turn Beverly Jenkins' work into a long running TV series for my visual enjoyment. For now, back to reading.
Niki
Feb 20, 2014 Niki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew, this book was good! My good friend recommended this book to me. This is my first historical romance written about people of color. Beverly Jenkins has a new fan!
Nov 07, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The first "romance" novel that I've read and didn't just skim through, and I was surprised by how much I liked it!
Janice Dennie
Jun 17, 2014 Janice Dennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Brilliant! This book took me away into another world.
Chanel M
Apr 26, 2014 Chanel M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-books-year
it nice for a romance novel.
Monique Thomas
Apr 12, 2014 Monique Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many quotable moments in this book. Great character description. I am so happy I reread this book.
Angie
Dec 23, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am becoming a fan of Beverly Jenkins. I enjoy the historical romance. Captured took me to a different side of the slave trade era. So I appreciate the look into a new perspective. When you hear of pirates it is usually in a negative connotation. But the pirates in this story were men of honor and integrity that took down slave ships and freed captives. And of course the romance embedded in the story was steamy and believable. This is the second novel of Ms. Jenkins that I've read, looking forw ...more
Rachel
I really wanted to like this book. I've really wanted to like both the books I've read by this author. I mean, historical romance with POC leads, written by an African-American writer! Something that is rare in the historical romance world. But I felt like I was reading a history lesson with lots of sex. (And in this case, creepy power dynamics of the slave being captured by the pirate and basically being his slave instead but it's okay somehow?) Very sad to say this author is not for me.
Sara
Nov 02, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I spent about thirty minutes writing a review filled with vitriol and great lines, and ending with a call to arms for romance novelists to write more and better romance novels set in unusual locations and with not-blonde heroines, so that readers are not forced to take up this sort of b.s. for their reading (dis)pleasure.
Then the internet died.
I don't have the heart to re-type it.
Suffice it to say, the review of this book on Smart Bitches Trashy Books was far too kind.
Poca85
Jun 25, 2010 Poca85 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction, so this book caught my eye in the store...but I'm not typically into Regency-type romance novels so I probably won't read more of this author's work but I actually really liked this story. It's sort of a guilty pleasure because it's a feel-good kind of book. It's kind of cliche with the whole sexy, tortured bad boy thing and the beautiful damsel in distress but who doesn't like a happy ending? Good for a rainy day.
Jocelin
Jun 14, 2013 Jocelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really impressed with this novel. I found the characters to be riveting and engaging. The one problem that I did have with the story was how the female lead fell so quickly for the main hero in the book. In the beginning she was disgusted with him then like almost a day later she was having feeling for him. Little too fast for me. The story was very well written and some of the historical element really added depth to the novel.
Carla
Jan 13, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it first came out and let me just say it left me a little confused. This book was supposed to be about the "Old Pirate" in the Leveq family from the other stories, however that was not the name of the Pirate. So I am safely assuming the one of his children married the child of his friend Leveq which thus created the father of Raimond, Archer and the rest of the Leveqs.
Marissa
Jan 05, 2012 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by SBTB (wise women). Fabulous, engaging story with a decent amount of historical detail. The only problems: 1) sometimes a little textbook-y, 2) the hero was too perfect, 3) the story was wrapped up too neatly.

That said, I loved it. I stayed up late reading it. I sighed and sniffled at the end, and now I'll scour the shelves for more works by Beverly Jenkins.
Andrea Jackson
More like a 4.5. I love this author and I loved this story. But there were a couple of things that bothered me so I guess I'll keep a star. :> Oh, and that cover is awful and in no way reflects the descriptions in the book.
Hero: Dominic LeVeq. Heroine: Clare Sullivan
Journeywoman
Excellent historical romance. I especially liked the fact that both characters were POC. It lost a star because the villains were so one-dimensional I expected them to be twirling their mustaches.

Otherwise I recommend for someone who wants a change of pace.
Tonya
Jun 24, 2010 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy learning new things about African American history through reading Jenkins's historical novels. I only gave this one four stars because I thought the bad guys conveniently died or were killed too often in this one.
Vanessa
I adored it. This is my first Beverly Jenkins book and now I can't wait to read more. I loved both the hero and the heroine. Very romantic and adventurous. I love African American historical romance. I wish more authors wrote this genre.
ChaosDuchess
Wonderful story! Beverly Jenkins took us back to the American Revolution and told us about life for slaves and free men with a glimpse of African American participation in the war. I enjoyed reading about the beginning of the LeVeqs.
Tiffany
I liked but didn't love this one. The characters weren't really fleshed out like in the ones of hers that I really like and the villains especially were one-dimensional and too easy. I did enjoy the historical aspect, however.
April
Jan 08, 2014 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it
  • Nobody But You
  • One Special Moment
  • Gold Mountain
199260
Beverly Jenkins is an African-American historical romance writer. She and her family live in southeastern Michigan. Born in Detroit, she graduated from Cass Technical High School and attended Michigan State University where she majored in Journalism and English Literature.
Ms. Jenkins has written sixteen books to date and has received numerous awards for her works, including: the Detroit Free Pres
More about Beverly Jenkins...

The LeVeq Family (3 books)
  • Through the Storm