Start by marking “Secrets of The Wee Free Men and Discworld: The Myths and Legends of Terry Pratchett's Multiverse” as Want to Read:

A fascinating guide to the international bestselling Discworld series and the award-winning The Wee Free Men—soon to be a major motion picture

Before J. K. Rowling became the best-selling author in Britain, Terry Pratchett wore that hat. With over 45 million books sold, Pratchett is an international phenomenon. His brainchild is the Discworld series—novels he began as parod
Published April 15th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of The Wee Free Men and Discworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of The Wee Free Men and Discworld

Chris
I'm giving this two stars simply because the authors like Pratchett so I thought I would be generous.

If you're a Pratchett fan (or even if you're not) skip this book and pick up The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized.

1. I did like the mystery chapter, for the most part.

2. The charts were nice.

Problems

1. Big mistake with the death of flies. It was Death of Fleas.

2. Over half a page on a minor character in one book, but nothing on Angua, Nobby, or Colon?

3. Authors seem to read very slow
Melody
Dec 26, 2010 Melody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the Discworld series, you already know the stuff in this book. Well, except for the huge amount of tacked on, tangential filler. Which you don't particularly need. If you are reading a book about Discworld to fill in the lacunae in your knowledge base re: Leonardo da Vinci, you may want to reconsider.

Wildly discursive, full of unsupported opinions and painfully dorky asides, and to add insult to injury, printed on the cheapest paper in the world.

Give it a miss.
Ka
Aug 21, 2011 Ka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, reference
tl;dr (Short Review):
This book aims to be a guide to Discworld and also to the multitude of real-world things parodied therein. However, the authors spend so much time blabbing about all the other books and movies they like and attempting humor by giving you their thoughts on random crap that it's hard to learn anything at all. Especially since they tend to leave out the actual origins of the things they're supposed to be telling you about. (See long review for many, many examples.)

One stated pu
Simone
Jan 04, 2012 Simone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I am a big fan of Discworld. And I have pretty much every other book written about the Discworld books. And even I couldn't really recommend this book. I like the idea of connecting Discworld characters, themes and topics to those in popular culture and media but this book doesn't discuss or analyze, but lists. There are so many lists with no additional content, it is just an uninteresting read. There are witches in Discworld. Read a paragraph that is more general description than interpretatio
Erika
Jan 17, 2016 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
This was a fun but mostly just fluffy book, probably better suited to younger readers who don 19t have as much cultural background yet. I don 19t ever really expect much from these sorts of books I read them because I find them fun and enjoy reading how different cultural and historical themes connect in sometimes unexpected ways.
My biggest criticism is that much of the humor falls flat (you can just skip most of the jokes in the parenthesis) and the last chapter was a total waste, putting Disc
Helen
Jan 20, 2009 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know that person at the movie, or at comic con? The one who is constantly saying, "I bet you didn't know...?", and everything they say that they bet you didn't know is something that EVERYONE knows?

Yeah, that's what reading this book was like. Fan nonfiction that's all over the place, sometimes inaccurate, and with jokes added in that aren't funny. No secrets are revealed, and the Wee Free Men, who are mentioned specifically in the title, get maybe a paragraph of information to themselves.
Susan
Disappointing. Two fans identify literary allusions they've noticed in the Discworld series and compare Pratchett's use of dragons, elves, wizards etc to other popular fantasy series they've read. They were trying to be humorous but it just didn't happen. Felt like a summary of web-board threads or like walking past a knot of laughing fans at some convention who kinda sorta try to include you in the conversation even though your voice can't be heard above the general hubbub - so they guess at yo ...more
Jan 13, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, first of all, you have to be a completist to want this book.

If you are a completist and get this book, well... it's a little disappointing. Some of the comparisons are wonderful and relevant, but others just seem forced. Many don't go far enough. And then there's the "tone", which isn't Pratchett's tongue-in-cheek/knowing wink tone but a pastiche that tries too hard to mimic it (and, at times, the authors fall into outright punnery and HERE!-I'm-being-funny-itis).
Vorbis
Mar 23, 2014 Vorbis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't manage to read it all the way through before I started skimming, but gave it a fighting chance.

The stories of the Discworld are engaging and hilarious. The original sources it parodies are primal and magnificent. The hodgepodge essays in this collection are halfhearted, make weak attempts at jokes, and add no depth to either source.

Cara Noyes
Footnotes, as in Pratchett's books, were funny. I enjoyed learning about where Terry Pratchett's ideas originated. A fun read.
Cynthia Egbert
Lots of fun if you want to make certain that you are getting all of the references, however obscure, in Pratchett's works.
Kelly Lee
Kelly Lee rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2014
Knut Petter
Knut Petter rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Henry
Henry rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Kellee Matlock
Kellee Matlock rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Arthur Hall
Arthur Hall rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2009
Coyote Boi
Coyote Boi rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2008
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Justin Carnacki
Justin Carnacki rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
Menthe
Menthe rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2012
Peta
Peta rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
R.
R. rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Haidee Sell
Haidee Sell rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Brindi
Brindi rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Shelby
Shelby rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2010
Sophie Braithwaite
Sophie Braithwaite rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Butch
Butch rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2017
Jb Rose
Jb Rose rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
LINDA M. WASHINGTON, a freelance writer, has written several books for kids. She lives in Carol Stream, Illinois.
More about Linda Washington...