Start by marking “Burned (Regan Reilly Series, #10)” as Want to Read:
Burned (Regan Reilly Series, #10)

Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery #8)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,472 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Regan Reilly and her best friend, Kit, are on vacation in Honolulu, intent on having a Hawaiian adventure. They won't be disappointed!
When we last saw L.A.-based private detective Regan Reilly, she'd recently become engaged. On the opening pages of Burned, Regan gets a call from Kit, urging her to come to Hawaii for one last girls' weekend before she ties the knot. The s
Published March 22nd 2005 by Scribner (first published March 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Burned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burned

Cindy
Wow...that was published? I listened to the abridged version on CD and would never have made it through the whole book otherwise. The writing was unsophisticated, the characters were predictable... and it was really cheesy. If this "author" has writing skills they were not represented in this story. A huge publishing mistake (besides paying for this story) was to let the author narrate it. Next time, they should hire a professional, someone who knows how to do a Hawaiian accent, NY accent, etc. ...more
Tamara
One huge complaint - the cute packaged ending complete with bow (not the first I've seen for this series) was utterly ridiculous and unsatisfying. Join the real world Carol Higgins Clark! Your mother's books have twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. Your books follow such a formula that even lovers of a mindless read will be annoyed. Forget Regan Reilly! My time is precious and I'll find a new author.
Carol  MacInnis
Recently engaged Private Investigator Regan Reilly is based in L.A. and her fiancé Jack is head of the major case squad in N.Y. When a bad snowstorm hits out east, Regan's plans to spend the weekend with Jack are squashed. Then Regan's best friend Kit Callan calls her from Hawaii where she is on business and tells Regan to hop on a plane and spend her weekend with Kit as her last 'single fling'. When she arrives she learns the body of an employee of the hotel where they are staying has been foun ...more
Tonya
Well, it is definitely not literary gold. It is a fun, fast paced, enjoyable, read! This is great to read by the pool on a lazy afternoon. I enjoy the Reagan Reilly series because it is carefree entertainment. You know when you start any of the books from the series that the ending will be satisfying and complete.
Nd
I traded another book to a fellow traveler and delayed reading this for a while. It could be a 3 or 4, depending on whether you're looking for a fun, light read or something more serious. As a beach book, it's a definite 4, and was lots of fun.
Lidiab
Another reader commented she couldn't believe someone actually published this book...it is hard to believe. I listened to the audio book read by the author; she was a horrible narrator! the only reason i didn't not give this book less stars is that i have read worse. If you must-read this book, it's good mind candy. I believe I finished it out of determination and commitment to seeing it through. Towards the end I was hard pressed to not throw the CD out the window. I found myself talking back, ...more
Well... I am not really the Higgins Clark reader of the house, but my mother, who has read several, had the book and I picked it up and started reading, and, as happens sometimes, I just kept on reading. It was light reading, and reminded me slightly of the tie-in novel Mr. Monk Goes To Hawaii, but with some sillier bits. (and Monk novels get kind of silly sometimes, although not particularly that one) However, it wasn't that great and isn't really my preferred sort as far as mysteries go, so I' ...more
Linda Rawlins
Regan Reilly goes to Honolulu to join her friend Kit when she is unable to get to NY due to a snow storm. Once again, Regan encounters murderers, theives, and crazy patrons of the Waikiki Waters Hotel. Will, the hotel manager learns that Regan is a private detective and immediately asks for her help. Despite the fact that she only has the weekend, Regan manages to identify the numerous people responsible for all different types of wrongdoing. The murderer gets caught, the theives are revealed an ...more
Tina Cobabe
A great mystery

This is my first Reagan Reilly book. I enjoyed it, kept me interested through the whole book. the ending was quite a surprise.
Debra
Love this series featuring private detective Reagan Reilly! Twists and turns figuring out the whodunit plot.
Kathy Cherney
Easy read, quick-paced, enjoyable.
Trudy
Burned is a mishmash of jumbled story lines and very uninspired dialogue. Carol Higgins Clark is no Mary Higgins Clark. It looks like she gets her work published on the strength of her mother's reputation.

The audiobook version features the author as the narrator...what a colossal mistake! She does a horrible job; though this does spare a talented reader the task of trying to make her dull prose sound interesting.

Burned is a good name for this book...especially if you spent money on it!
Deb
It was a fun quick beach read. I could dream I was in Hawaii along with Regan Reilly. I didn't realize it was part of a series but it worked well on its own. It is a good book when you are looking for a light mystery although it wasn't quite as funny as the reviews suggested it would be. I will try some other books in the series but not right now since the book wasn't deep enough and the characters were not really developed enough to make me really want to find out what other adventures Regan ha ...more
Shelley
I wish I had paid attention to the order and read this right after Popped. Oh well it was still fun. I really liked all the characters in this book. It was strange to (SPOILER) have Ned go good at the end. I didn't really feel that was a natural progression. He mentioned he might of made a nice guy, but that was it. I didn't get that one totally. But I liked the twist with the Twins the best. This series is just light fun reading. I finished it in a couple of days.
George
A Regan Reilly, LA private investigator mystery. Regan joins her friend Kim in Hawai'i for a weekend. She joins Kim at a Waikiki hotel and finds herself quickly involved in a murder and acts of vandalism at the hotel when the manager hires her to investigate.

Quick reading mystery with several subplots all of which are wrapped around the main story line.
Brett
Carol Higgins Clark's Regan Reilly mysteries are great reads. They are technically mysteries, but fun: populated with zany, likable characters in great settings, & yet also an entertaining read - even at night, alone. They're breezy, not scary. For a wimp like me, that's perfect. This entry in the series is no exception.
Jackie
This was the first book I read in the Regan Reilly mystery series. It was a great book but I had to start at the beginning of the series in order to fully understand the characters and their background. Carol and her mother (Mary Higgins Clark) share the same writing style, which is why I turned to her mysteries.
Dawn
Oct 22, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys the Regan Reilley Mystery Series.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of the Regan Reilly Mystery books.
Another book in the Regan Reilly Mystery series. Very enjoyable read, but not my favorite Regan Reilly book. Do not read this book as your first Regan Reilly story. To fully understand the characters & the past references made in each book, you should start with the first Reilly mystery "Decked".
Robin perez
Cute book, Typical Regan Reilly book. As with most of her books, the main character is beautiful, rich, and smart. It's a quick, fun read. With most of the Regan Reilly, there are a lot of quirky characters which makes the reading fun. As normal, you can usually figure who did it before the end.
Spring Clark
This was a fun story to read. The characters weren't quite as goofy as they have been in her other novels, which I enjoyed more. I like quirky characters, but some of her's are just plain weird and therefor unbelievable to me. However, in this book, that seemed more tamed down.
Peggy
This is another Regan Reilly, private detective, story that is an enjoyable read but a typically shallow Carol Higgins Clark book. It follows the same format she uses in most of her books and is very predictable. The story line is enjoyable but nothing spectacular.
Elaine
I'm a sucker for a mystery, even the light, frothy ones. Carol Higgins Clark doesn't have the twisted characters in her books, like her mother, Mary Higgins Clark, just the deceitful and criminal. This book was not as good as Fleeced and Jinxed by this author.
Alison Agnew
Cheesy. The plots and suspects were so predictable that I thought there would be some crazy twist at the end. Instead, there were no surprises, the plot was contrived, and I only finished it because I had no other book to read.
Pineapple
I really liked this book (and the other Regan Reilly mysteries), but I am starting to wonder about Carol Higgins Clark and her fascination with Bernadette Castro. She mentions Bernadette Castro and those sofa beds in every book.
Natalie
This is the first book I've read by this author and I was totally involved with the story and I loved all the small plots that were unfolding.....Will read more by Carol Higgins Clark, I am looking forward to it!
Lynnette
I love mysteries, and this Reagan was a practical gal who went after things in a practical way. It wasn't gory or very violent, which is different from many mystery novels, and I enjoyed this light read!
Jaime
Although it kept me interested enough to read the whole book to hear the ending; I wasn't as impressed with book; think it could have been much better! Was disappointed; don't recommend this book!
Mary
Feb 15, 2010 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good suspense book
Recommended to Mary by: my daughter
As always I enjoyed this book very much. I like Reagan Reilly and all her cases. You never know what is going to happen. This book had so many crimesthat she solved, it was fun.
Gail
Sep 12, 2011 Gail rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gail by: Linda Sullivan
This book was awesome! I liked it even better than Wrecked..I need to find Hitch so I can read that one too. Thanks Linda for recommending such an awesome book. I loved the ending!
Deb Julienne
Absolutely fun story, loved Regan Reilly. This is the first of her stories I've read and will have to go back and read all back stories...expecting tons of fun. Love how Regan's mind works.
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News #7)
Carol Higgins Clark (1956– ) is an American mystery author. She is also the daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark , with whom she has co-authored novels, and the former sister-in-law of author Mary Jane Clark.

Born in New York City, Clark received her B.A. from Mount Holyoke College in 1978 and then studied acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse. She is the author of the Regan Reilly mystery series.
More about Carol Higgins Clark...
Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1) Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9) Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2) Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3) Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10)