Start by marking “Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In- When to Worry and When Not to Worry” as Want to Read:

The toddler whose tantrums scare all the other kids on the playground . . . The three-year-old who ignores all his toys but seems passionately attached to the vacuum cleaner . . . The fourth-grade girl who never gets invited to a birthday party because classmates think she’s “weird” . . . The geek who is terrific at math, but is failing every other subject. Quirky children ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Quirky Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quirky Kids

Jennifer Hughes
Sometimes we get so caught up in the diagnosing of a child that we forget that he basically is just a quirky kid. A diagnosis doesn't change anything about him. This book helped me reframe the way I was looking at my child at the time. Recommended.
Jul 08, 2008 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Here's a strange example of a book that I, personally, didn't enjoy, but which I admit is a good book nonetheless. I grabbed it off the shelf blindly thinking that it was about merely eccentric children, when actually it's about children with diagnosed disorders - autism, OCD, etc. I'm fully secure in the fact that I was not a kid with any sort of developmental difficulty, I was just kind of weird, and therefore this book didn't help me in putting together the pieces of What Happened Back Then.

Mar 18, 2008 bup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've got a quirky kid, this book provides a great view of how to deal with the diagnosis/es, the reality, and keep perspective.

A favorite quote from the book: "Does your child seem herself as...a person living with Asperger's syndrome or with attention deficit disorder or with obsessive-compulsive disorder-or with all three...[or] a math genius who gets anxious sometimes and has to take some medicine for it[?]"
Lydia LaPutka
May 19, 2012 Lydia LaPutka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After 7 years of teaching kindergarten, I have had my share of quirky kids in my classroom, believe me! The statistics for autism are increasing which means we are seeing it more and more at school these days. It seems like I get a quirky kid every year! This year I have two!

I actually chanced upon this book when I was searching at the library on the bookshelves for a book about queen bees. Yes, I have those, too, in kindergarten! When the title captured my eye, I grabbed it! I need any resourc
Marjorie Ingall
I thought this was going to be a look at eccentric kids who don't fit neatly into diagnostic categories. Instead, it's a general introduction to lots of different diagnoses: Autism, Aspergers, ADHD, sensory integration disorders, etc. A very cursory look at a wide variety of behaviors that doesn't go into much depth about any of them, I suspect the book is a bit dated. I did like the reassuring tone, and the extensive quotes from parents about how they problem-solved. But for parents who are str ...more
Most of us don't need our quirky children explained to us as much as we need strategies for helping others to understand them. This book did a decent job presenting a few strategies.
I liked this book, but the title is deceptive. It sounds like a book for kids who are "quirky" but don't have a diagnosable condition like Aspergers, autism, or ADHD, and whether you should "worry" that your kid does have one of those conditions. It's actually mostly about kids on the spectrum, but is written in such a way that applies to those with a diagnosable condition and those without.

The paragraph on picky eating and the importance of picking your battles carefully--especially with daught
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Apr 04, 2008 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
A great resource, especially if you have a child who is just different. Some kids and people just have issues that seem quirky, and may or may not be serious, so this is a great starting point in your research.

Good overviews of different disorders and issues. The authors explain terms, discuss possible therapy options, coping strategies, and even available medications. I particularly like the section about dealing with teachers.

If you deal with quirky issues in your family, any book that gives
I thought this would be a book for parents of kids who are just ... quirky, who do things differently than their peers, who don't respond to standard parenting techniques the way they're expected to. High-strung, emotional, intense; sensitive, yet oblivious -- that kind of quirky. It's not. It's actually intended for parents trying to navigate through medical and psychological treatments for their diagnosed autistic/Asperger's/ADHD/or otherwise developmentally-different kid. Therefore, I found i ...more
Quiky Kids was helpful and hopeful: Quirky Kids was written by two pediatricians who have special knowledge of developmental delays in children. Their book is helpful and hopeful while being realistic. It breaks the news about the nature of children's developmental delays without scaring parents and it immediately offers many ideas of how and where to get help. Experienced parents' stories give hope and light at the end of the tunnel of diagnosis and treatment.
Feb 13, 2009 Ellyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
This book, written by two pediatricians, is targeted towards parents of kids who "do things differently", kids who may have social and communication difficulties and behaviorial and developmental concerns but don't fit neatly into diagnostic categories. It's very comprehensive and practical and balanced. It helped me better understand the issues faced by many of the families that I work with.
Aug 27, 2008 Sheridan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who have quirky kids
Shelves: parenting
I thought this was a good book for parents who have quirky kids, who don't fit easily into a certain diagnosis, but are different enough to be concerned about. It gave good information about all the different diagnosis that kids get today. Where to get more information, who is the right kind of doctor to go to in order to figure out what kind of diagnosis is right.

Feb 25, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All kids are different and they all have their 'quirks.' Not everyone fits in a specifically named diagnosis but there are still ways to help these kids be successful. This book had some good advice and gave me a good start in educating myself about the kids that are just different and things that we can do to try to help them through it all (including my own).
This book has a lot of good common sense that you think would come naturally to parents---but sometimes can be overlooked when you first learn your child has been diagnosed with "X" and you are trying to process that and find all the help for him/her.
Jul 13, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books recently for parents of AS, NLD, bipolar, or anxiety-ridden kids. I could have really used this book twelve years ago! Incudes balanced infomation about interventions and medications.

Sep 06, 2007 Scrabbler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of kids that seem different
I have recommended this book to many parents of kids that are truly quirky in some way. Many of these kids are shy, sensitive, have social anxiety, or seem to be on the mild end of the autism spectrum.
Oct 06, 2007 Lolab rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A superficial overview of diagnoses, therapy options, coping strategies, and medications - a good jumping off point, and contains multiple lists of references and resources for further reading.
Jun 22, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great overview and reference books about the "alphabet acronym soup" of developmental disorders and delays. It was one of the first books I read after Magdalyn was diagnosed.
A very interesting read for this mother of a quirky kid. Some good things to think about and a book I may well come back to later when he's older.
Carol C
Jun 20, 2009 Carol C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for parents who are in the throes of trying to figure out what's going on with their "quirky kid." Lots of practical advice.
Aug 20, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Loved everything this book had to say. The authors have great perspectives. Didn't finish but plan to check it out from the library again.
Wawan Setiawan
Nov 21, 2012 Wawan Setiawan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A very complete and useful book especially for people who have quirky kid.
Oct 22, 2010 Melinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, 2010
Meh, not really very helpful.
Kathy Fowler
Oct 28, 2015 Kathy Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love it!
Kelly is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2016
Simo Ibourki
Simo Ibourki marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Megan added it
Sep 29, 2016
Anna Beck
Anna Beck rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Noface marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child: Helping Your Child Thrive in an Extroverted World
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • I Can Hear You Whisper: An Intimate Journey through the Science of Sound and Language
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy
  • The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Kids in the Syndrome Mix
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch
  • Seven from Heaven: The Miracle of the McCaughey Septuplets
  • The First National Bank of Dad: The Best Way to Teach Kids About Money
Perri Klass is a pediatrician who writes fiction and non-fiction. She writes about children and families, about medicine, about food and travel, and about knitting. Her newest book is a novel, The Mercy Rule, and the book before that was a work of non-fiction, Treatment Kind and Fair: Letters to a Young Doctor, written in the form of letters to her older son as he starts medical school.
She lives i
More about Perri Klass...