Start by marking “Parenthood by Proxy: Don't Have Them if You Won't Raise Them” as Want to Read:
Parenthood by Proxy: Don't Have Them if You Won't Raise Them

Parenthood by Proxy: Don't Have Them if You Won't Raise Them

Children's welfare is the driving force behind Dr. Laura Schlessinger's mission. A devoted mother to her son, Deryk, she identifies herself as "her kid's mom" because that's her most important job.

Never one to shy away from tough truths, Dr. Laura marshalls compelling evidence for the widespread neglect of America's children and convincingly condemns the numerous rationali
Published April 26th 2000 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Parenthood by Proxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenthood by Proxy

Godless by Ann CoulterMiles to Go by Miley CyrusHow to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterIf Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans by Ann CoulterSlander by Ann Coulter
Books I Have No Intention of Reading
51st out of 1,331 books — 6,135 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Worst Books of All Time
443rd out of 6,414 books — 17,457 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Jul 18, 2007 Emily rated it liked it
I didn't read this book - I listened to an audio version while driving to and from work. It's in part about how you shouldn't leave your kid in daycare, so I was having some rough weeks there - dropping the kid off at daycare with Laura lecturing in my ear about the permanant damage to his baby soul that my selfishness was causing.

I have a love of seeking out extreme viewpoints, including conservative. There were a lot of things I liked that she said though, and it's always fun to gasp and shake
Kathryn
Mar 06, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kathryn by: Dr. Laura
Dr. Laura is much more interesting to listen to that read. I find her writing difficult. I do agree with her premise that institutions do too much of the raising of our children.
Sylvester
Aug 07, 2009 Sylvester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very hard-hitting book. News headlines, radio interviews, a look at what's happening out there. This book will make most people angry. It is by far the best book on this subject I've ever read. Avoid it like the plague or live with the consequences.

Dr. Laura believes that parenting is the most important (and most difficult)job in existence, that the entire planet is affected most by what does or does not happen in the home, that family is the most basic unit and influences all of society becau
Tena Holdaway
Jan 11, 2012 Tena Holdaway rated it it was ok
Dr Laura is not a writer. I agree with some of her ideas. I like the way she is blunt and gets to the main problems with the breakdown of the family. However, an excerpt, followed by excerpt of a radio show or letter followed by one sentence of original thought, then followed by another excerpt is not really writing. This is a collection of excerpts. She did the same thing with "The Proper care and feeding of Husbands" In fact her conclusion on that book was something like now go be a good wife ...more
Mindi
Oct 17, 2009 Mindi rated it it was amazing
Way back in my college days at BYU I had a professor who had us read this book, and it changed my life! Not because I was planning on putting my kids in day care or anything but because I agreed whole-heartedly with what Dr. Laura says in the book. I remember thinking, "Finally, someone who has the guts to stand up for kids and to stand up to parents!" And the rest is history - I've been a faithful Dr. Laura listener and reader ever since. God bless Dr. Laura - she saves the lives of children ...more
Jaclyn
Apr 04, 2012 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
A fabulous social commentary backed by much research. Right up there with the proper care and feeding books. Absolutely wonderful; I was cheering by the end. After reading this book I am stronger and more determined as a parent in the face of today's permissive, immoral, and hands-off parenting society. Our kids really do need us at home and providing boundaries! It is our responsibility and obligation to actually raise our children!
Julie
Jul 12, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Obviously, I have been on a Dr. Laura kick. I read this book not really knowing what to expect. Her cause is well represented and I deeply appreciate the honesty with which she represents her ideas, even if I don't agree with all her ideas. My favorite details of this book are actually the case studies and statistics she uses. Definitely worth a read.
Emily
Mar 16, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Dr. Laura's ideas on raising children are very sensible. However, the entire book was a general attack on those who are destroying the family, such as feminists and "modern" and "scientific" "experts." Of course, such a thing is called for in today's society, but for someone who already agreed with these kinds of ideas (like me), it was tiresome.
Stacie
Oct 08, 2010 Stacie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-books
I usually like Dr Laura but I really struggled with this book. I still like most of her concepts but I did not like the presentation with this one. It was SO negative and makes it seem like you will never raise a good child unless you are with them 24/7 and NEVER let them out of your site. It makes me feel hopeless as a parent. It was such an "angry" book for me.
Mar 18, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A few years ago I won some essay contest for a local radio show. As a prize I got to go to the station and hear Dr. Laura speak. Abrasive, yes, but Schlesinger does make a lot of important points about the decline of the nuclear family and the importance of parents being parental.
Abby
Apr 09, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it
This book is about all the reasons you should stay home and raise your kids, rather than hiring day care or a nanny to do it for you. It convinced me! I'm glad that I was already a stay at home mom or I'd probably quit my job after reading it.
Carolyn
Nov 11, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Very conservative in parenting views, while not going into minute detail. The underlined message in this book is to be present in your childrens' lives and that being a bad (or absent) parent is 100% your choice.
Sep 24, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I liked this in general, but I just don't love Dr. Laura. I wish she would have quoted more hard facts instead of countless comic strips and stupid women's magazine articles. But I'd certainly say "amen" to her main point, which is that kids deserve to be raised by the people that love them most.
Leilani
Nov 21, 2009 Leilani rated it really liked it
No one says it quite like Dr. Laura. Being a parent is the most important job we'll ever have--I want to do better!
Dree
Oct 12, 2009 Dree rated it liked it
Eh. Some common sense, some incredible arrogance and cluelessness about what other peoples' circumstances may be, quite possibly through no fault of their own.
Annie
Jan 08, 2011 Annie rated it it was ok
I read the introduction, that's all I really needed to read. I agree with the subtitle, but I could've just read that and gotten the same information. I couldn't finish it.
Feb 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
OK, I'll admit that I'm a huge DL fan. This book was great. It haven't read it in years... I think I'd like to pick it up again.
Lucky Bug
Feb 07, 2011 Lucky Bug rated it liked it
Wow. If you want to read something that horrifies the reader more than any horror or suspense book try this one.
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Heather Giltner
Heather Giltner rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Trisha
Jun 20, 2011 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Hooray for Dr Laura's courage to take a stand with boldness!
May Abbey
May Abbey rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Chanika
Feb 05, 2012 Chanika rated it really liked it
I love Dr. Laura! She tells it to you straight.
Trisia
Trisia rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Julie Bashara
Julie Bashara rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Emily Powell
Emily Powell rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Melissa S Coleman
Melissa S Coleman rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Beckacheck
Beckacheck rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Raising a Self-Disciplined Child: Help Your Child Become More Responsible, Confident, and Resilient
  • Parenting Isn't for Cowards
  • Teaching Your Children Joy
  • Raising a Daughter: Parents and the Awakening of a Healthy Woman
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
  • Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old
  • Children Are from Heaven: Positive Parenting Skills for Raising Cooperative, Confident, and Compassionate Children
  • Raising a Son: Parents and the Making of a Healthy Man
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Getting Your Groove Back: Loving Your Family Without Losing Your Mind (Girlfriends' Guides)
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World
  • Your Kids Are Your Own Fault: A Guide for Raising Responsible, Productive Adults
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
  • Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless
  • Praying the Scriptures for Your Children: Discover How to Pray God's Will for Their Lives
  • The New Puberty: How to Navigate Early Development in Today's Girls
6519027
an American talk radio host, socially conservative commentator and author
More about Laura C. Schlessinger...