Start by marking “It's Only a Mountain: Dick and Rick Hoyt, Men of Iron” as Want to Read:
It's Only a Mountain: Dick and Rick Hoyt, Men of Iron

It's Only a Mountain: Dick and Rick Hoyt, Men of Iron

The inspirational story of Dick Hoyt and his son Rick who was born with cerebral palsy and is a non-vocal quadriplegic.
Published January 31st 2002 by Southern Heritage Pr

To ask other readers questions about It's Only a Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Only a Mountain

Amy Moritz
Jul 05, 2011 Amy Moritz rated it liked it
If you've watched the annual coverage of Ironman Hawaii, you likely have seen the story of Dick and Rick Hoyt -- a father and son team who has defied all odds to participate in triathlons, marathons and a cross-country duathlon. Rick Hoyt was born with cerebral palsy and is a non-vocal quadriplegic. But his parents, Dick and Judy, made the decision to treat him like any other child. The book chronicles the family's story to do just that -- from fighting for his educational and access rights to ...more
Jared
Jul 03, 2008 Jared rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jared by: my mother
I don't know how many times I actually said out loud while reading, "man, i don't believe this guy." Dick Hoyt is some kind of super hero. This father/son duo not only completes ridiculously impossible athletic events including marathons and ironman triathlons but is actually extremely competitive with their times.

I'll tell you this though, all the wind would leave my sail if I'm running along at mile 23 in a marathon and I get passed by some 65 year-old man pushing his 100 lb. son in a chair...
Mark Fallon
Feb 25, 2009 Mark Fallon rated it it was amazing
I got to meet Team Hoyt at the Hyannis Marathon Expo, and was able to get a signed copy of this book. Watching the way they interacted with everyone who stopped at their booth was very impressive. Dick made sure that Rick was involved in every conversation.

The book is a wonderful story about the love between a father and his son, and what they have accomplished together. I'd read about the Hoyt's before, but the details and insights into their family life were truthful, and even painful.

Much mo
Mar 01, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love Team Hoyt. LOVE THEM!!! This is not a 5 star book by any stretch of the imagination, but their story is out of this world, and this is the only book in print that captures it. I've heard rumors they have a new book coming out, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I am not a sports fan, definitely not star-struck, and least of all a fan of athletes in general, but I would be truly honored to meet these fine men. This book is inspiring, uplifting, and will have you convinced anything is ...more
Ciara
Aug 05, 2007 Ciara added it
i just watched the ironman on t.v. and sobbed the whole way through. they kept interviewing a dad who raced with his son. he swam tied to a raft to pull his son along, carried his son to the bikes and biked with his son on the front of his bike, and pushed his son across the finish line in a wheel chair. i can't wait to read this.
Apr 03, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
This is an amazing story, which I had never before heard of. Thanks to my sister for asking for it for Christmas. It might not be enjoyed by people that don't run or do triathalons in such a long format but for everyone else its still cool to hear about. I wonder if there is a movie.
Allie
Apr 03, 2009 Allie rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Gives a great insight into a family who never saw their son as disabled and the dad who helped him become all that he can be.

I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put it down.
Kristin Susedik
Kristin Susedik rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Anna Mielczarek
Anna Mielczarek rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Roykate
Mar 22, 2014 Roykate rated it it was amazing
I could read a hundred books about this amazing father son team. So inspiring!
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Rachael Settles
Rachael Settles rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Mike Tomasini
Mike Tomasini rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
Gail Mack
Gail Mack rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Melissa Thrash
Melissa Thrash rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2008
Susan Stover
Aug 05, 2008 Susan Stover rated it it was amazing
Inspirational beyond words from both a physical and mental perspective.
Marie Teepe
Marie Teepe rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2010
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Paul Picciano
Paul Picciano rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2008
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2011
Hannah Langford
Hannah Langford rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
josh
josh rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2009