Start by marking “Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Style” as Want to Read:
Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Style

Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Style

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  646 ratings  ·  101 reviews
More than just a style guide, this is a navigation system through the bumpy road of life. Let RuPaul teach you the tried, tested and found true techniques that will propel you from background player to shining star!

No more playing small, your time is now!

"Workin' It!" will provide helpful and provocative tips on fashion, beauty, style and confidence for girls and boys, str
Published February 2nd 2010 by It Books (first published January 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Workin' It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Workin' It!

Vanessa (V.C.)
I'm a huge Rupaul fan, always have been, but this book was pretty disappointing. Though he offers quite a bit of wisdom and words of advice on how to love oneself and to be true with yourself, this book was pretty scattered and disorganized in its format and execution. He comes from talking about confidence, loving yourself, and achieving your goals, to then talking about himself, then about what drag-queens-in-the-making should do to mold their image, then more and more about himself again. Abo ...more
Kathleen
I've been watching a lot of RuPaul's Drag Race lately, and s/he's always plugging this book on the show, so I read it. When I ordered it from the library, I wasn't really sure what it was about or who it was for. And I can't really say now that I have read it that I have any real clarity on either of those questions. What I can say about it is this:

It begins with RuPaul's philosophy of life. And although that might sound kind of cheesy--I would be totally lying if I said that it didn't stimulate
Ko
I've been a fan of RuPaul's work, style and attitude for a long time, so this book was a natural "must-have" for me. Too bad it was such a disappointment.

Aside from the lack of content -- the book is half comprised of photo spreads of RuPaul which, while beautifully done, leave an already small book downright emaciated -- the book suffers from a lack of identity and purpose. What there is to read comes across more as musings from a journal or rough draft than a finished book.

Ru, a shining beacon
Renata
Feb 11, 2013 Renata rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring drag queens and/or diehard RuPaul fans
Shelves: nonfiction
I used to flip through this at my friend Stacey's apartment and I finally sat down and read it all the way through. Like... obviously I love RuPaul. Obviously. I love his positive attitude and ~realness~ in and out of drag, and my favorite parts of this book revolved around that. (Sometimes it gets borderline The Secret-esque, which I hate, but... whatever.) There were also a ton of gorgeous photos of Ru in drag. I also enjoyed reading, in DETAIL, about all the work Ru puts into her drag. For so ...more
Ravi Batra
Very inspirational and gave me my basics for developing my own style! I have written down many of his quotes that I will return to for inspiration. RuPaul definitely has done his spiritual work, his research on make-up, proportions, communication, and himself and it inspires me to do my own work on standing out and being my unique self.

"You're born naked, the rest is drag"
Ad Astra
Yeah, it's Rupaul. It's a short book about way too much detail about lace wigs and how early she gets up for a day of work, and also I can't eat fruit anymore with a meal without hearing Rupaul in my head advising me to eat fruit alone. There's a lot of neat tidbits of wisdom and things that Rupaul has found work for him. It's like a cool little trip into his mind. There's a lot of positive up beat things, a couple of stories, but mostly just stuff about her.
Heather
So, I kind of love RuPaul and since I've been on a particular Drag Race kick of late, I thought I'd have a read of this here book. And, errr, it was okay. It had moments of the RuPaul sass, and all that stuff, but it was just a lot of filler. A lot.

When I read Gene Simmons' books I disliked the amount of pulled quotes and random interludes of photos, and it happens again here. A lot of photo pages is fine, but when a random two page spread with quotes and tips appears in the middle of a fluid se
Karlo Ortega
Well that was fast something, I wasn't expecting this book to be this type of book. As a matter of fact I just bought it to support Ru in some kind of way, I'm a sucker for her.

This turned out to be a very easy to read guide on her tips on living a fulfilling life. I really think any woman would be helped by reading this and it shouldn't take you more than a Saturday to read it.

The whole time I was reading this book I was thinking about my mom and comparing on how she's grown as a woman and how
Courtney
Okay, so maybe I don't need to know how to achieve the perfect tuck (which I could do after reading this, btw). I still think there's a lot to be learned about self-esteem and presenting oneself as well as possible from drag queens; and since RuPaul is the queen of queens, what better place to start? I recommend this to anyone who wants to be fierce and fabulous!
Dana
favorite part is when she talks about getting a high colonic
Bridgid
A guide to being true to yourself, and loving yourself.
Meg
I read it for the pictures ;)
*Queen Diva*
I love RuPaul so much!! He (and she) is one of my inspirations! I'm really drawn to RuPaul because of his positivity and overall kindness but at the same time, he's so spunky and sassy. I've known all this about RuPaul long before reading this book, where he definitely talks about how he works to stay positive and kind. Anyone who watches RuPaul knows this because he just exudes such positive energy (both in and out of drag).

My favorite part about this book were all the fabulous pictures of Ru i
Wendi
Well, what's to say? I have always been fascinated by RuPaul's drag-a-lusciousness. I enjoyed the photos and some of the "advice" written inside, but it all feels like a regurgitation of a mash up of Oprah, Deepak Chopra, and Eckhart Tolle. Wait, those last two guys were on Oprah!

There's really not much original thought outside of Ru's own personal stories. The pictures were fun, from a purely theatrical point of view. Have I mentioned how much I like glitter and sparklies?

"Workin' It!" will pr
Brigette
I enjoyed this book, or actually the two books that were contained in 1 book, which is why this "book" doesn't really work as "A" book... If this book were written in 2 parts, (which I think they were) and not thrown together to make 1 book, I would have really, really enjoyed it. The book begins as RuPaul takes you into his life growing up, the trials gone thru, and really gets to your emotional side. Who knew that we (RuPaul and I) have similar life experiences and views about life? It's prett ...more
Jory
RuPaul is like the life coach that I've ever met. I've always loved her. She has always been so good on the life lessons to me. And she's not one of those bitchy drag queens either. She's kind and helpful, really. Sure, she can get bitchy but who can't? This book proves how much I love RuPaul.

Part self-help, part description of what it takes to actually be a drag queen, complete with full pages of how SHE becomes one, I was amazed at how light and fun this book was. It took me about a day and a
Christopher
The content between the covers of this book are as light as RuPaul's signature dinner entree of a tic-tac on a plate, though fortunately, what little bit is actually there is every bit as minty fresh and delightful. Ru's guide to life is overstuffed with glamour shots of the world's most famous drag queen (because really, who could ever get sick of looking at RuPaul?), dotted along the way with sparse yet punchy essays about looking good, feeling good, and making the world feel good about you. R ...more
Steven Teratops
Look, if you thought you were going to get any other kind of book you are an idiot.

It's a self help-ish book written by Rupaul with some pretty great advice arranged around fantastic photos of the Queen. I really don't know what you were expecting but it's not the book or RuPaul's fault.

I really enjoyed it and it occupied me for an afternoon. I'll go back to it at some point to check out the photos and remind myself of some of Rupaul's advice when I'm in need of it.

-sorryboutit-
Stevendragonknight2222
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!
Ideal for a drag queen or a woman, but insightful for anyone that wants some good advice for living a full, happy, and shade-free life. It's best read cover to cover with a take it or leave it approach that I feel Ru would agree with. Not everything fits every one with the book, but Ru's guidance encourages to try it on, find what feels right, and return it or turn it out!
John Amory
A slight, breezy read. Mostly insubstantial, but entertaining nonetheless (particularly the chapter on Ru's seemingly exhausting process of getting into drag). This obviously isn't something you read for stimulation. You read it for the fun quips, the professional styling tips, and the gorgeous photos. If I'd sprung for the hardcover version, this would be on my coffee table.
Melanie
A short book - I skipped some of the bits in the book since I was just interested in the "Wardrobe Department" chapter. The "Attitude" and workplace chapters were good and I had to laugh at the "Ten Things I Learned from Watching Judge Judy".

Sigh. My closet needs serious "editing". I just need to force myself to do it.
Katie
There are some little tidbits and drag secret in here that are so interesting! However, what I found most incredible about this book is how empowering Rupaul can be. Ru takes a very non-apologetic approach to self confidence and self love. Reading this book was a confidence booster for me(in such a fabulous way!). This is a quick and easy read that's sure to lift your spirits and put a smile on your face.
Todd
This was a fascinating read - a great deal more profound than I was originally expecting. RuPaul elaborates not only on the inner workings of his approach to drag, fashion and personal style but also his own spiritual belief system which permeates all the previously mentioned aspects of his life. I found this enigmatic side of Ru which is oft camouflaged beneath the flamboyant menagerie of his act to be highly fascinating and thought provoking. As strange as it may seem, I've learnt a lot from t ...more
Carey Gibbons
This was like a big old hug from Mama Ru. Also, I knew she had to put an insane amount of energy into her look, but I had no idea how crazy it really is. She makes it look effortless.
Susannah
This is RuPaul's guide to life, fame and fashion. It takes a lot of work to look this good in drag and she does look beautiful in the many photos of her in the book. Apparently those wigs weigh a ton! The beautification process is particularly enlightening - all the steps she has to go through. RuPaul also makes the point that the drag is a character, and he spends a lot of time out of drag as well. The book is enlightening to a certain extent about RuPaul's life and career, but because it is a ...more
Lisa
A fast and easy read.

The only thing that I wish was different about this book is that it was longer . I love Ru!
Colleen Criswell
My favorite quote so far is

Today, kindness is the new cool. Being kind illustrates the highest level of consciousness and deliberate optimism. Being kind says: "I know the material world is an illusion and I choose to recognize the beauty, innocence, and The Source in everyone." Pollyanna knew she had a choice between the dark side and the bright side, but she consciously chose the latter because joy is far more interesting than pain. And it takes a great deal of strength to maintain.

from Worki
Alisa
What's not to love about RuPaul? Fun romp of a book about Ru's approach to beauty, style, and life. I like her description of how your spirit is a frequency constantly transmitting and "clearing a path for your frequency to transmit freely is the key to revealing your own personal style, unique aesthetic, and inalienable freedom." (p.4) Ru's make-up routine and her notes about tucking are oriented to her style of drag. But hey, it's all just drag, because beauty starts from within, and is not de ...more
G
Fun way to spend an hour -- beautiful pictures and sound life advice.
Colleen Mcclowry
I requested this from the library since Ru kept plugging it all the time on her show. Aside from all the rigorous diet and beauty advice, "Workin' It" was very insightful. It was like reading a more fabulous version of an Eckhart Tolle book! My favorite quote:

"Today, kindness is the new cool. Being kind illustrates the highest level of consciousness and deliberate optimism. Being kind says: 'I know the material world is an illusion and I choose to recognize the beauty, innocence, and The Source
Class of 2014: book review 2 5 Mar 27, 2013 09:40PM
  • My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
  • Uncle Bobby's Wedding
  • Shock Value: A Tasteful Book About Bad Taste
  • Lost Girls: Book One
  • A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today
  • Books of Adam: The Blunder Years
  • Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Act, Eat, Sleep, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else
  • I Do But I Don't: Why the Way We Marry Matters
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
  • Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
RuPaul (born RuPaul Andre Charles) is an American drag performer, dance music singer, actor, and songwriter who gained fame in the 1990s; appearing in a wide variety of television programs, films, and musical albums. Though a catty attitude is often associated with drag queens, RuPaul intentionally displayed a "love one another" attitude to be set apart from them. Although primarily known for an e ...more
More about RuPaul...
Lettin it All Hang Out: An Autobiography

“Whatever you proclaim as your identity here in the material realm is also your drag. You are not your religion. You are not your skin color. You are not your gender, your politics, your career, or your marital status. You are none of the superficial things that this world deems important. The real you is the energy force that created the entire universe!” 44 likes
“When the going gets tough, the tough reinvent.” 33 likes